Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007   #1
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0 Big Ben Wallets is ridin' the pine
Default Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Considering Schaub has minimal playing time, it's hard to assess who got the better end of the deal. However, from reading Schaub's scouting report, listening to him speak and examining his skill set, I think it's safe to say Schaub is very similar to Arizona Cardinals QB Matt Leinart.

Leinart and Schaub both excel at throwing the short, crossing patterns. Both are tall, have decent mobility, and above average , but not elite, arm strength. Both are good leaders and well-liked amongst teammates. Both are pocket passers with good awareness and make quick decisions with the ball. The only difference is Leinart is left-handed.

So what do you guys think? The number 8 pick, plus two 2's for basically a right-handed Matt Leinart. Good trade or no?
__________________
Check out my blog for the latest news & insight on your favorite teams

www.raisingithigher.blogspot.com
Big Ben Wallets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #2
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 0 Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan is a fan favorite
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

This mostly likely is a very good comparison.
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #3
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste
 
kiwitexansfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Age: 36
Posts: 8,824
Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

You paint a pretty picture.

Time will tell, I hope your right.
__________________
All random posts made entirely of smilies courtesy of kiwitexansfanjr -age 4
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #4
Porky
Hall of Fame
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 12,044
Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

From what I have seen of both, I think that's a reasonable comparison.
__________________
Your local CruiseOne Vacation specialist. www.firstclasscruising.biz Visit me on Facebook.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #5
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0 Big Ben Wallets is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

I'm glad you like the comparison. I'm not even a Texans fan (go Bears) so my opinion is completely objective.

Hopefully this will make the debates over whether Rick Smith overpaid for Schaub easier to analyze. Just replace every "Matt Schaub" reference with "Matt Leinart" and take it from there.

For example, "Shoot, there goes our ***** front office again... we pass on VY and trade a boatload of picks for "Matt Leinart", an unproven backup in ATL. "Matt Leinart" is only marginally better than David Carr, I hope all you DC haters are happy."

I hope this helps!
__________________
Check out my blog for the latest news & insight on your favorite teams

www.raisingithigher.blogspot.com

Last edited by Big Ben Wallets; 03-22-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Big Ben Wallets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #6
mamoo
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0 mamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Could be. Schaub is definately different than Carr. One of the first things he asked for was every Texans player's phone number. He plans to call each and everyone of them to let them know what he wants the team accomplish this season. He also graduated from Virginia... and was working on his Masters in Economics when he went to the NFL. Those two things are a big difference from the Carr era.
mamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #7
TreWardTxn
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 388
Rep Power: 9 TreWardTxn is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup? A guy who doesn't have all the throws Carr has, doesn't have the mobility, doesn't have the NFL experience. They are still talking about this guys potential since when he came out of Virginia. This is a frikin' joke, and I can, or you can hope for the best all you want, but there is no way this can be deemed a good trade unless the Texans win a Superbowl in the next three years, which won't happen because we won't have the picks to build the depth Superbowl teams have...

And the last thing anybody should want with a deep threat like AJ on this team is a right Matt Leinart...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2007   #8
redkoolaid
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 0 redkoolaid is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Schaub definately has a stronger Arm than leinart..

Need proof?..look at this 60 yard bomb..

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vi...8&fr=yfp-t-501


..Im looking forward to seeing a lot of this with AJ..
redkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #9
BattleRedRaider
All Pro
 
BattleRedRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Robstown, Texas
Age: 26
Posts: 679
Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Umm, I think neg rep is available right now.
__________________
Even through the darkest days, this fire burns...

Last edited by Lucky; 03-22-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Quoted deleted material
BattleRedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 16,588
Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn View Post
This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup? A guy who doesn't have all the throws Carr has, doesn't have the mobility, doesn't have the NFL experience. They are still talking about this guys potential since when he came out of Virginia. This is a frikin' joke, and I can, or you can hope for the best all you want, but there is no way this can be deemed a good trade unless the Texans win a Superbowl in the next three years, which won't happen because we won't have the picks to build the depth Superbowl teams have...

And the last thing anybody should want with a deep threat like AJ on this team is a right Matt Leinart...
You really think that the Texans were going to ever go to the SB with Carr even with those 2 second round picks? I don't.

Would you have traded for Favre or Hasselbeck when they were unproven backups? How about McNair? Guess not, hmmmm?

And how is talking about Schaub's potential any different than Carr's potential? Carr hasn't done anything; when does it stop being potential and start being a mistake? And why does it matter if Carr can make all the throws if he won't make all the throws?

You've given Carr this long. Why not try to give Schaub a year and let's see where we stand? Hell, why not give him half a season at least?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #11
wolf123
All Pro
 
wolf123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 714
Rep Power: 2679 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn View Post

And the last thing anybody should want with a deep threat like AJ on this team is a right Matt Leinart...
Yeah...I can definitely see Fitz and Bolden suffering with Leinart.

Who would you have rather us started all season, Sage? It's obvious that this team had little faith in David, so someone had to step up. The front office and HC definitely don't think that Sage can handle the load since they tried to acquire Garcia, Plummer, Ramsey, Green, and finally Schaub. Someone in this organization fell for Schaub and hopefully it was Kubes. Yes, Schaub doesn't have a lot of actual game experience, but he's sat and learned for a few years, played in pre-season, received several years of NFL coaching...potential may be a sickening word for some to hear over and over, but it needs to be said that he possesses some.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #12
Porky
Hall of Fame
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 12,044
Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRaider View Post
Umm, I think neg rep is available right now.

Okay, they must have changed that. Well, at least my ignore list went up by one to...one.
__________________
Your local CruiseOne Vacation specialist. www.firstclasscruising.biz Visit me on Facebook.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,673
Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

you say we gave up peterson or landry. well maybe, but we didn't give up a 1st round pick which is crucial. we dropped 2 spots!!!!

those two guys were def. the fan favorites...but i and some, were worried the texans may not even draft them and take someone else. We're still going to get one of the guys we really wanted at 10...its 2 spots down!! sheesh.

think amobi okoye, alan branch, leon hall, levi brown, etc.
__________________
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #14
kcwilson
All Pro
 
kcwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles-area
Age: 40
Posts: 607
Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn View Post
This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup? A guy who doesn't have all the throws Carr has, doesn't have the mobility, doesn't have the NFL experience. They are still talking about this guys potential since when he came out of Virginia. This is a frikin' joke, and I can, or you can hope for the best all you want, but there is no way this can be deemed a good trade unless the Texans win a Superbowl in the next three years, which won't happen because we won't have the picks to build the depth Superbowl teams have...

And the last thing anybody should want with a deep threat like AJ on this team is a right Matt Leinart...
First, you don't and will never know who the Texans were going to get at #8, so you can stop speculating... this trade will kick off all sorts of chain reaction movements by teams that will shift their draft priorities.

Second, maybe the Texans were higher on Nelson than Landry or Brown over Landry for their needs... we don't know where their intentions would have been and never will.

Third, it is always tough to compare two players to each other, but in fairness to Matt Leinart, the guy has shown that he is a good QB and I don't think he has done anything to give any inkling that he won't be a good QB in the NFL. I would be happy to have a QB with the skills of Leinart on this team.

Now you can bash me because I am from L.A.
__________________
Post-Schaub Xmas List: (1) Landry/Nelson, (3) Satele, (4) DE/DT, (5) CB
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #15
FirstDownMaker
Rookie
 
FirstDownMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern USA
Age: 40
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0 FirstDownMaker is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn View Post
This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup? A guy who doesn't have all the throws Carr has, doesn't have the mobility, doesn't have the NFL experience. They are still talking about this guys potential since when he came out of Virginia. This is a frikin' joke, and I can, or you can hope for the best all you want, but there is no way this can be deemed a good trade unless the Texans win a Superbowl in the next three years, which won't happen because we won't have the picks to build the depth Superbowl teams have...

And the last thing anybody should want with a deep threat like AJ on this team is a right Matt Leinart...
This was/is a bad move for the Texans but not for the reasons you mentioned. Let's forget about Matt Leinart and his arm....Arizona seems to like him just fine! What makes it a bad move is the fact our "deep thinkers" (the front office) last year this time were convinced that David Carr was our future. And they gave him and us, 8 millions reasons to think he was. And not only did they give him the 8 mill....they then passed on Vince Young! The Texans are not a bad team because of bad luck. We are bad because our "deep thinkers" are clueless!
FirstDownMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #16
ROCKY
Rookie
 
ROCKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The H
Age: 34
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 8 ROCKY is a fan favorite
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn View Post
This trade is absolute garbage and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. We're giving up either Peterson or Landry by swapping first this year, giving a high 2nd, which is near a first in this years draft and another pick. For a backup?
We werent getting petersen at 8, he wont be there. The fact that you think petersen will be there at 8 shows that you are the one kidding yourself.

Plus, schaub is not a normal backup, it's not like we did all this to get brian greise. You dont tender a guy for a 1st and 3rd round pick if he's "just a backup"

Imagine how mad you'll be when we trade down even further.....
__________________
All the haters are gonna find out the hard way.....
ROCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #17
kcwilson
All Pro
 
kcwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles-area
Age: 40
Posts: 607
Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDownMaker View Post
This was/is a bad move for the Texans but not for the reasons you mentioned. Let's forget about Matt Leinart and his arm....Arizona seems to like him just fine! What makes it a bad move is the fact our "deep thinkers" (the front office) last year this time were convinced that David Carr was our future. And they gave him and us, 8 millions reasons to think he was. And not only did they give him the 8 mill....they then passed on Vince Young! The Texans are not a bad team because of bad luck. We are bad because our "deep thinkers" are clueless!
Well, according to your logic, this deal isn't bad... the deal that is bad is the extension of Carr. This was basically a move that they had to make to correct a previous mistake. So given that the mistake was made... how would you rate this move, knowing that the Carr extension was done, you can't change it, and something NEEDED to be done in THEIR minds?

What were their alternatives, given the Carr extension can't be undone?
__________________
Post-Schaub Xmas List: (1) Landry/Nelson, (3) Satele, (4) DE/DT, (5) CB
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #18
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry
 
bigbrewster2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Woodlands
Age: 36
Posts: 1,340
Rep Power: 4862 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDownMaker View Post
This was/is a bad move for the Texans but not for the reasons you mentioned. Let's forget about Matt Leinart and his arm....Arizona seems to like him just fine! What makes it a bad move is the fact our "deep thinkers" (the front office) last year this time were convinced that David Carr was our future. And they gave him and us, 8 millions reasons to think he was. And not only did they give him the 8 mill....they then passed on Vince Young! The Texans are not a bad team because of bad luck. We are bad because our "deep thinkers" are clueless!
So the deal is bad because VY isn't on our team? That simply means that LAST YEAR we made a bad decision. How again does that make this deal a bad one?
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you
 
powerfuldragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: your lady's sexdreams.
Age: 28
Posts: 17,057
Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkoolaid View Post
Schaub definately has a stronger Arm than leinart..

Need proof?..look at this 60 yard bomb..

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vi...8&fr=yfp-t-501


..Im looking forward to seeing a lot of this with AJ..

sierrahotelindiatango.
__________________
disregard above post.
powerfuldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #20
redkoolaid
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 0 redkoolaid is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Matt Schaub = Right Handed Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY View Post
We werent getting petersen at 8, he wont be there. The fact that you think petersen will be there at 8 shows that you are the one kidding yourself.

Plus, schaub is not a normal backup, it's not like we did all this to get brian greise. You dont tender a guy for a 1st and 3rd round pick if he's "just a backup"

Imagine how mad you'll be when we trade down even further.....
Peterson WILL be there at 8...he'll probably wind up in Atlanta..if they cant move out of 8...

I think its pretty much common knowledge that Calvin Johnson is going to the Raiders

and Quinn/Russell is going to the Browns..

Arizona, Washington, and Minnessotta...will NOT draft AD..
redkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger