Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2007   #1
raidermike
Rookie

Default Please Help The Raider Fan

Hello there fans of the only franchise we have never defeated. I would apreciate your help. From seeing Collins, Schroeder, and Hostetler I realize that the media doesn't always paint an accurate picture of quarterbacks. Those guys were all terrible, but seemed to gain media praise.

Anyway, I've recently decided that I think the Raiders should acquire David Carr. The way I see it, he's had a weak O-Line for his entire career and he completed over 68 percent of his passes last year. Plus, if you take the Pats game away, he would have only had 8 INTs.

This is where you come in. I believe nobody knows a team's QB better than their hardcore fans. I've heard bad things through the media and also that the Houston fans don't like him there. Is this true? If so, why?

Thank you in advance.
raidermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #2
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 3464 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Please Help The Raider Fan

Carr is great. I think he's worth the #1 overall pick. Tell all your friends and email your front office.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #3
raidermike
Rookie

haha...
Old 03-22-2007   #4
MATRIX
Veteran

Easy, they blame Carr for the records we have had.

After year say 3, nobody cared the O-line sucked. They just started hating him.

Give him a decent line and a game or so to know he isn't going to get hit every 3rd snap...he should be fine.

That never happened here.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #5
raidermike
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATRIX View Post
Easy, they blame Carr for the records we have had.

After year say 3, nobody cared the O-line sucked. They just started hating him.

Give him a decent line and a game or so to know he isn't going to get hit every 3rd snap...he should be fine.

That never happened here.
Thank you....See, this what I was thinking, but I don't watch the Texans so you guys would know better than me.
Old 03-22-2007   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
Hello there fans of the only franchise we have never defeated. I would apreciate your help. From seeing Collins, Schroeder, and Hostetler I realize that the media doesn't always paint an accurate picture of quarterbacks. Those guys were all terrible, but seemed to gain media praise.

Anyway, I've recently decided that I think the Raiders should acquire David Carr. The way I see it, he's had a weak O-Line for his entire career and he completed over 68 percent of his passes last year. Plus, if you take the Pats game away, he would have only had 8 INTs.

This is where you come in. I believe nobody knows a team's QB better than their hardcore fans. I've heard bad things through the media and also that the Houston fans don't like him there. Is this true? If so, why?

Thank you in advance.
There are those that like him, those that don't, and those that wanted to see change.

I fit in the first and last. David Carr is class and not glass. He took every beating and kept getting up and he never threw any of his teammates under the bus. He never received any support from his coaches and the front office wanted more than anyting to see him be the man. There were times when you saw David and thought that is why he was the #1 pick, there were times when you thought they aren't helping him look like a #1 pick and then there were times when he proved every Carr Hater right.

If you are looking for a QB that will not be a hot head or cause controversy and pull out some wins every now and then on his own or will let his D win the game and will take a beating and keep on getting up. DC is your man. IMO that is better than what you have now in cry baby Aaron Brooks and....and......see what I'm sayin?

If you aren't looking for any of the above, draft an unproven QB.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #7
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Carr is great. I think he's worth the #1 overall pick. Tell all your friends and email your front office.

I don't understand why you find this so funny he was worth the #1 overall when he was drafted and now he has NFL experience, surely that increases his value. So perhaps we need your #1 and 3rd rounder.... well that is the pitch I would be giving Al Davis.

Oh and as for Carr, he is a very talented, high character guy that has been beaten down by taking way too many hits and has lost the locker room.

Will a change of scenery allow him to get his groove back? I hope so.
Old 03-22-2007   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Well, first, you must know that we really, really want you to take him off our hands. Really. Please.

The opinion on David is pretty split. There's a small but vocal minority that really love him.

I defended him up until this last season using the o-line excuse and the lack of weapons excuse.

But.

The truth is that he's not a good QB. He's indecisive and he makes bad decisions. He made our line look even worse than it was by holding the ball when he had to get rid of it and by being indecisive. He has very bad pocket presence. Even when he has time, he gets panicky that he's going to get hit, that rattles him, and doesn't make the open throws.

His completion percentage was high last year because he rarely threw further than 5 yards down the field. He has a problem of locking onto his receiver and sometimes he throws it to him even if there are 4 people around him.

In the last half of the season, he threw 2 TD's and only one of those was in a game we were even competing in. Even when our running game and defense were operating well, he played poorly. He started off the season OK (except for some boneheaded fumbles and sacks) but as the season wore on, his performance degraded. You saw the game where we got a net -5 yards passing against you guys. By that point, he was a shambles.

That's my honest assessment but please, trade us SOMETHING for him. Please.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
If you like watching those old timey cops and robbers movies where the keystone cops are running around with the film sped up running into each other you will like Carr behind center. Not only does he will throw the ball into the stands on 2 point conversions, sack himself, kill drives single handedly, laugh and smile after each loss, he will bring you all kinds of family and friends to post on your message board and blame everyone but him for his problems. If you like TD passes you won't like him much.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #10
raidermike
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
There are those that like him, those that don't, and those that wanted to see change.

I fit in the first and last. David Carr is class and not glass. He took every beating and kept getting up and he never threw any of his teammates under the bus. He never received any support from his coaches and the front office wanted more than anyting to see him be the man. There were times when you saw David and thought that is why he was the #1 pick, there were times when you thought they aren't helping him look like a #1 pick and then there were times when he proved every Carr Hater right.

If you are looking for a QB that will not be a hot head or cause controversy and pull out some wins every now and then on his own or will let his D win the game and will take a beating and keep on getting up. DC is your man. IMO that is better than what you have now in cry baby Aaron Brooks and....and......see what I'm sayin?

If you aren't looking for any of the above, draft an unproven QB.
The Raiders need a QB that can just be consistent enough to let the D win games. Luckily, Aaron Brooks was cut (should have never been signed). Currently, we have Andrew Walter and Josh Booty (although he probably wont make the team). I'd just rather Carr and Calvin over JaMarcus. Thank you for your input.
Old 03-22-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If you are looking for a QB that will not be a hot head or cause controversy and pull out some wins every now and then on his own or will let his D win the game and will take a beating and keep on getting up. DC is your man.
Since when did this ever happen? In 75 career starts he has only 3 games with over 200+ yards passing and a combined 2 or more TD's in a victory...ie he can't carry a team. He can only play small ball.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If you like watching those old timey cops and robbers movies where the keystone cops are running around with the film sped up running into each other you will like Carr behind center. Not only does he will throw the ball into the stands on 2 point conversions, sack himself, kill drives single handedly, laugh and smile after each loss, he will bring you all kinds of family and friends to post on your message board and blame everyone but him for his problems. If you like TD passes you won't like him much.
That's freakin outstanding. That's the funniest thing I've read today if not all week. While it may be true, you at least made it sound entertaining.
Old 03-22-2007   #13
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Raiders need a QB that can just be consistent enough to let the D win games. Luckily, Aaron Brooks was cut (should have never been signed). Currently, we have Andrew Walter and Josh Booty (although he probably wont make the team). I'd just rather Carr and Calvin over JaMarcus. Thank you for your input.
Carr could fit what you are asking for.

He doesn't make too many mistakes, can pick up first downs with his feet, can move the chains in small chunks.
Old 03-22-2007   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

There are 2 different schools of thought among Texans fans.

1. Carr is a really good QB that had been done wrong by the organization. They never got him much of an O-Line or offensive weapons.

2. He's the main problem.
He doesn't make reads after the first receiver.
He holds on to the ball too long.
He doesn't throw long.
He ducks his head when the pass rush is coming and takes the sack.
He fumbles when he gets sacked.
He fumbles snaps.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #15
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Carr still has the potential to be a great QB in the NFL. He is going to have to be taken back to square one. He is damaged goods from his previous stints with our horrible O-Line in the begining of the franchise. After our line improved he seemed to have vietnam flashbacks mid-game and would start watching for charlie flanking his rear rather than the receivers downfield.

He tends to lock on a receiver rather than spanning the routes.

He has just discovered how to maneuver the pocket this past year and that leads me to beleive that he will grow on this aspect in the future. His footwork showed signs of life but he tends to wait too long before making the decision to tuck and run.

He has great short to mid-range accuracy but his side-arm throwing style will leave a bad taste in your mouth after 5+ passes are deflected a game. This is the one aspect I truly beleive will have to be worked around, throwing styles of NFL QB's are not corrected over night.

He tends to push off with his front foot when dropping back to pass which causes the center to step back on his foot shutting down a play before it ever starts.

While I may not have touched on everything, I think I have given you the basics. These are things he's had 5 years to improve on and for us Houston fans it was too little too late. Alot of his flaws can be corrected with proper coaching, hopefully Lane Kiffin will be the man to do it.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the Raiders end up with Carr, then pray for Joe Thomas to get drafted #1. He'll need all the time that he can get.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Carr could fit what you are asking for.

He doesn't make too many mistakes, can pick up first downs with his feet, can move the chains in small chunks.
This threads getting funnier with every post. "Doesn't make too mant mistakes", lol
Old 03-22-2007   #18
raidermike
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exithios View Post
Carr still has the potential to be a great QB in the NFL. He is going to have to be taken back to square one. He is damaged goods from his previous stints with our horrible O-Line in the begining of the franchise. After our line improved he seemed to have vietnam flashbacks mid-game and would start watching for charlie flanking his rear rather than the receivers downfield.

He tends to lock on a receiver rather than spanning the routes.

He has just discovered how to maneuver the pocket this past year and that leads me to beleive that he will grow on this aspect in the future. His footwork showed signs of life but he tends to wait too long before making the decision to tuck and run.

He has great short to mid-range accuracy but his side-arm throwing style will leave a bad taste in your mouth after 5+ passes are deflected a game. This is the one aspect I truly beleive will have to be worked around, throwing styles of NFL QB's are not corrected over night.

He tends to push off with his front foot when dropping back to pass which causes the center to step back on his foot shutting down a play before it ever starts.

While I may not have touched on everything, I think I have given you the basics. These are things he's had 5 years to improve on and for us Houston fans it was too little too late. Alot of his flaws can be corrected with proper coaching, hopefully Lane Kiffin will be the man to do it.
Wow, that is an AWESOME post. Thank you very much. I'm not too concerned with his throwing motion if he will complete close to 70 percent of his passes. Gannon had a side arm motion, as well. As for Lane Kiffin, he was his QB coach at Fresno State.
Old 03-22-2007   #19
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

You're going to get people on both sides of the fence, here. Just read through any Carr thread and you'll see a lot. Some feel that he is the cause of almost all of the Texans' woes. Others feel that he could be a star, if only the team gave him the support. Everything he does is viewed two ways. For example, personality-wise, he's not the type to ever blame others, and is a pretty humble guy. Some see this as a positive, and some as a negative (that he doesn't get in other players' faces when they mess up, or that he doesn't show enough fire on his own). His high percentage completion is either a sign he can be very accurate, or a sign that he was unable to make tough throws and always took the short, sure things.

Reality is probably somewhere in between. He never had a really good opportunity to succeed here. He's had changes in coaches and schemes, a weak O-line, inconsistent running game, etc. But, at the same time he's never lived up to the expectations people have had for him here. Some worry that perhaps we've "messed him up" from the way he's been treated, and now he'll never be able to live up to the potential that most agree he had (and many think he still has).

Even a lot of folks who have wanted Carr to go think that he'll do much better in a fresh situation, especially if he gets support in some areas that have been lacking, here. I honestly don't know if Oakland is the kind of place where he'll get that support, though.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #20
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
There are 2 different schools of thought among Texans fans.

1. Carr is a really good QB that had been done wrong by the organization. They never got him much of an O-Line or offensive weapons.

2. He's the main problem.
He doesn't make reads after the first receiver.
He holds on to the ball too long.
He doesn't throw long.
He ducks his head when the pass rush is coming and takes the sack.
He fumbles when he gets sacked.
He fumbles snaps.
3. 1+2=3 Probably a big dose of both.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read