Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2007   #1
BakoBrett
noob

Default Today's Lesson: How to Screw your Franchise

This lesson is prepared by the Houston Texans front office:

Rule #1: Give up on your QB when the real problem was the offensive line. David Carr had the 15th ranked passer rating in the league with 82.1. Ahead of guys like Hasselbeck, Eli Manning, Alex smith, Jon Kitna, Brett Favre.

Rule #2: Give up 2 2nd round picks (that's right I said 2 2nd round picks AND switch first round draft picks) for a QB who hasn't proven jack **** in the NFL.

This is the compensation as reported by ESPN's Jeremy Green.

Rule #3: Ignore issues on the offensive line and the best player to come out of college in the last 10 years for a project DE who still remains a huge question mark at this point. And the reason they did it? Because Mario Williams was the first to sign a contract.

Rule #4: Give a 30 year old RB who can't hold on to the ball and hardly run a 4 year 23 million dollar contract.

Bravo Houston, bravo!
BakoBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #2
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Today's Lesson: How to Screw your Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoBrett View Post

Rule #1: Give up on your QB when the real problem was the offensive line. David Carr had the 15th ranked passer rating in the league with 82.1. Ahead of guys like Hasselbeck, Eli Manning, Alex smith, Jon Kitna, Brett Favre.

Rule #2: Give up 2 2nd round picks (that's right I said 2 2nd round picks AND switch first round draft picks) for a QB who hasn't proven jack **** in the NFL.

Rule #3: Ignore issues on the offensive line and the best player to come out of college in the last 10 years for a project DE who still remains a huge question mark at this point. And the reason they did it? Because Mario Williams was the first to sign a contract.

Rule #4: Give a 30 year old RB who can't hold on to the ball and hardly run a 4 year 23 million dollar contract.

Bravo Houston, bravo!
Todays lesson:
Looking stupid in front of your 1000 closest cyber friends

1) Post a new thread because your outrage is somehow special, and unable to be confined in the 40 current topics on the subject

2) Use a mocking, condescending tone in all of your baseless content

3) Demonstrate no base knowledge of football or the team in question that you are referencing

4) Overrate Reggie Bush massively in paragraph 3.

Thanks for stopping by....now if you'd kindly return where from you came, we would all be better off.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #3
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

server made me double post

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #4
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:

Bravo Houston, bravo!

I'll take "hasn't proven jack ****" over "has proven sucks ass" every day of the week.

*Sorry David, don't take it personally.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #5
mikey21
Lifer

Rep Power: 9 mikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I totally agree, it still blows me away about last years draft and now giving up two 2nd rounders for a guy that is unproven, will the team ever learn? chamionship teams are built through the draft, the Texans can not keep giving away picks like this
Old 03-22-2007   #6
Let's try this again
Rookie

Quote:

Bravo Houston, bravo!
a little bitter i see
Old 03-22-2007   #7
DarkNinja
Veteran

It just cracks me up....
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2007   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the Texans have only found one good pick in the 2nd round(Ryans), this is a steal. I'd rather have anything over Carr and I can only hope that Schaub does well here. This is going to be a totally different Texans Team when next season rolls around.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #9
mikey21
Lifer

Rep Power: 9 mikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Considering the Texans have only found one good pick in the 2nd round(Ryans), this is a steal. I'd rather have anything over Carr and I can only hope that Schaub does well here. This is going to be a totally different Texans Team when next season rolls around.
I agree the Texans will be different next year, but the real question is will the Texans be better
Old 03-22-2007   #10
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey21 View Post
I agree the Texans will be different next year, but the real question is will the Texans be better
Schaub-Carr

Green, Dayne, etc.- Dayne, etc.

More weapons on offense, plus draft....

I've had enough of Carr to realize he isn't very good. He's still on a college level IMHO, if that. Maybe we'll sucker a 3rd rounder for him.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #11
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Today's Quote of the Day: "It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Offensive line does need work. A new C esp. 2006 draft, Kubiak addressed the OT position with both of our 3rd round picks. Eric Winston was thought to be a 1st rd talent at one point but fell due to injury. He is now our starting RT and seems to be progressing and learing fairly well. Charles Spencer was an amazing pick and pretty much an instant starter at LT which is almost unheard of. Was having a very promising rookie season before he got injured. Pitts and Weary are good guards and not old. Flannigan was brought in, he's old and done, but brought mainly for the system and having a veteran leadership with the 2 young guys and helping coach them. Signed a FA in Jordan Black, good depth for us to have and could be starter due to injuries...they hurt us bad last season.

Please don't pay attention to passer rating. I see you're one to get caught up in that and box score and stats type stuff. It's overrated. Carr's completion pct. was great because its easy to complete short routes and dump offs. You're making Carr out to be a great QB, which he was not for us last season. you had me at oline...but lost me when you brought up passer rating.

I'll agree with you on this, it kind of troubles me. Just because we need those picks and he is 'unproven'. It does save us from taking qb with the 1st pick. if we didn't do that, we may have taken one with that 2nd pick. the swapping of 1st rounds doesnt bother me...its two spots..psssh. Basically Schaub was our 2nd rd pick. The '08 2nd was compensation for having a better prospect in Schaub than stanton/edwards/kolb. for already having 3 years of holding the clipboard and learning the WCO. For taking some snaps behind a marginally better oline in real game time experience. We also don't have to wait on our QB to develop because he's already there...and don't have to endure Carr. We also don't have to see sage starting for us...who may be good but he's just as unproven as schaub so don't use that arguement...we've only seen him in garbage time and he's been a backup his whole career..hardly worth calling him a starter.

Well if by that you just mean the 1st pick in the draft last year...we can only draft one position. if we took RB...well we didn't address the OL with D'brick or QB with VY..etc. The whole 1st pick last year is another arguement we've had for too long. I don't care we passed on RB. awesome awesome athlete but he wouldn't have thrived on our team for another few years. I love the Mario pick, he had both his toenails removed on his big toes before the season and played the whole season w/ plantar fascitis which is very painful. he got cortisone shots everygame which wore off and played half the game through pain. Notched 4.5 sacks...while not what we expected it was .5 sack less than babin..who led the team w/ 5. Mario played everyposition on the line which didn't help him out. Mario is more of a run stopper than a pass rusher...you could see that when teams gameplanned around him and the QB's audibled all the running plays to go the opposite side of the field. He's going to be a monster next season and his career...let's just hope he stays healthy! And don't think for a minute it was because he was easier to sign. might be a small part to it..but a lot more went into the decision...which we never know to the full extent. Bush being shady and ignoring McNair for 2 days...when he wouldn't return his phone call...is saying a lot about his character esp. to your potential new boss..

I like the signing of Ahman Green. He's a great fit for the system and a great leader to have in the locker room. He has played very well, better than we can say about any of our RB's. He's a very good blocker too, something that we'll need to protect Carr..eerrr...Schaub. He has a decent contract too. Its only $6.5 million guaranteed unlike the other FA RB's who have $12 million guaranteed. Its also set up where we can use him for 2 seasons. He's not meant to be our long term franchise RB, he's exactly what we need right now. Don't pay attention to the total amount of a FA salary..at least completely..the guaranteed portion is very important.

So yes, Bravo Houston, Bravo!! Turn us into a playoff team! and Please for the love of God let us get a decent draft pick for CARR!!!!!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey21 View Post
I totally agree, it still blows me away about last years draft and now giving up two 2nd rounders for a guy that is unproven, will the team ever learn? chamionship teams are built through the draft, the Texans can not keep giving away picks like this
?

Giving away picks like this? I think this will be the first year that we will go into the draft WITHOUT extra picks.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Todays lesson:
Looking stupid in front of your 1000 closest cyber friends

1) Post a new thread because your outrage is somehow special, and unable to be confined in the 40 current topics on the subject

2) Use a mocking, condescending tone in all of your baseless content

3) Demonstrate no base knowledge of football or the team in question that you are referencing

4) Overrate Reggie Bush massively in paragraph 3.

Thanks for stopping by....now if you'd kindly return where from you came, we would all be better off.

This post is all about how not getting over how he wanted to snuggle up to Reggies Jock and Texans Mgt messed it all up.

Not being able to get past the past will cause you to live in the past, not the present or the future.
Old 03-22-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
This will be different and we're going to be better IMO. The thing that gets me about the 2nd rd picks though....we havn't historically been good but that was all thrown out the window.

Demeco was great but that was w/ Kubiak...so as far as im concerned he's batting 1.000 w/ 2nd round pics..
Old 03-22-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

first off this was an excellent move on the Falcons part:
  • avoiding QB controversy
  • choice of picks- Landry/Brown
  • two 2nd rd. picks will help them re-tool w/talented young players
  • sends a positive message to Vick that he's their guy

for the Texans part, after getting over the shock, there are some positives:
  • long term will save the Texans money & help restructure their cap mess
  • officially signals the end of the David Carr era
  • Matt is a better QB prospect than anyone in this draft not named Russell or Quinn
  • the Texans will not be forced to draft a QB to develop, basicly he is the 2nd rd. pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
first off this was an excellent move on the Falcons part:
  • avoiding QB controversy
  • choice of picks- Landry/Brown
  • two 2nd rd. picks will help them re-tool w/talented young players
  • sends a positive message to Vick that he's their guy

for the Texans part, after getting over the shock, there are some positives:
  • long term will save the Texans money & help restructure their cap mess
  • officially signals the end of the David Carr era
  • Matt is a better QB prospect than anyone in this draft not named Russell or Quinn
  • the Texans will not be forced to draft a QB to develop, basicly he is the 2nd rd. pick
and we can address another player at 10 which will be at a need position instead of taking a QB in the first IF one was there. (again rookie QB, 1st rd pick $$$, may have to sit a few games-a season) other player will start day 1.
Old 03-22-2007   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

Bravo Houston, bravo!

Are you referring to Vince Young? David would of gotten bench along time ago if we would drafted the right choice wich was VY Roger Carr i mean BakoBarret.

and like another poster said aint proved jack **** for lack of a chance is better than aint worth a **** for 5 years with plenty of chances.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #19
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Ok, so our 2nd rounder this yr is like getting our new QB-no other QB in the draft would come to us with experience. We switch a couple places in the first round-no biggie'-we'll still get a 1st day starter...next yrs 2nd rd is what we lose w/o something in return and that might be covered with a draft choice for Carr...

Many of you that are 'upset' gave Carr 5 yrs 'cart blanche' at $60 million to try and become an NFL QB, so take a chill pill and give the new guy a 'little' time.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
Ok, so our 2nd rounder this yr is like getting our new QB-no other QB in the draft would come to us with experience. We switch a couple places in the first round-no biggie'-we'll still get a 1st day starter...next yrs 2nd rd is what we lose w/o something in return and that might be covered with a draft choice for Carr...

Many of you that are 'upset' gave Carr 5 yrs 'cart blanche' at $60 million to try and become an NFL QB, so take a chill pill and give the new guy a 'little' time.
yea, basically the 2008 2nd round choice is for assurance we wouldn't get in a bidding war with other teams for him. basically a rookie QB that has been learning the WCO and in the nfl for 3 years instead of 0. and for grooming him for 3 years, allowing us to start him day 1.

instead w/ the rookie we'd have to wait a 2 years...and schaub is a better prospect than kolb/stanton/edwards imo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read