Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2004   #41
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFJag
Hmmmm i go to say i believe i know where this game is going.
Jacksonville is ocming off of a HUGE victory. The players are extremely pumped at this point and ready to show the nation they are for real. The win at Indy proved that a win this week would catapult them to a possible dividion favortie. That coupled with the talent i see in this team make this a tough game to be "logical" about. I beliee Jacksonville will explode this week. I hate to say it (or you texan fans sake) but i think the win over Indy really got this Offense going. I hope i'm right, you hope i'm wrong.

My PIck
Jags-34
Taxans-17

now all of you can get mad at me and tell me i'm wonrg. But thats hwo i feel. I also knew they would win the Indy game this time last week, just a gut feeling.
Your right. Since Jville beat Indy by 3 i think they are going to win all there remaining games and the SB too. :hehe: :hehe:
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #42
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsJagman
Although I will go along with everything else you have stated, have to point out that the WR's the Jags have are a bit better. I am gonna give the Jags the edge due to the fact we have 5 guys that Lefty can throw it to at any time, and this is not including the Jags, so far, not so great 1st round pick. I did group our TE's together, so it would be TE/WR's.

Everything else, right on the money. There is a slight edge on LB's, the reason I give you guys the edge, you employ more on the field at one time. Not a huge edge, but one none the less.
Don't worry man. Lefty will be throwing to a great 1st round pick. Dunta Robinson. He'll get a couple of "catches ", maybe even a TD.
ColdSteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #43
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornjag
Here's what i don't understand. Why do some of you guys think your offense is going to put up such high numbers? Your offense isn't as good as the Colts and we held them TWICE to 24. In fact only San Diego, in a game played poorly by Jags D, has scored more points. I don't see either team in this game scoring over 24 if either team even reaches 20. You guys keep saying how both our defense and offense aren't all that great, but all that matters is they are good enough and have been 5 out the last 7 weeks. It will be a close game 7 point difference at most and I'll be there cheering my Jags on.

Two reasons. We average 23 points a game, you average 17.4 points a game.

And you have played Indy's terrible defense twice.

Texans 30, Jags 17.
Old 10-26-2004   #44
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's what i don't understand. Why do some of you guys think your offense is going to put up such high numbers? Your offense isn't as good as the Colts and we held them TWICE to 24. In fact only San Diego, in a game played poorly by Jags D, has scored more points. I don't see either team in this game scoring over 24 if either team even reaches 20. You guys keep saying how both our defense and offense aren't all that great, but all that matters is they are good enough and have been 5 out the last 7 weeks. It will be a close game 7 point difference at most and I'll be there cheering my Jags on.

Well here is one way to look at it.

our strength is our passing game.. and your passing defense is 22nd in the league.

Above you is Tennessee and Oakland.. 2 teams we have beaten. Below you is Detroit and San Diego.. the first two teams we played and lost too, but honestly most texans fans arent counting those games since we were not "ourselves" at that time.

Also below you is Minnesota.. who beat us on the strength of their offense.. but just barely.

you have a great run defense.. but at this point our running game only has to be good enough to make you consider it.. not be dominant. And it is good enough to do that.

So.. if you think about it. We have played 2 of the best offenses in the game in Minnesota and KC... beating one and almost beating the other.. your offense is not close to theirs (you are 15th, they are 1st and 5th) And we have played two passing defenses above yours, and won.

SO.. looking at it from a statistical standpoint.. we have you beat on both offense and defense.

Now.. to be fair, lets look at it from your standpoint.

You have played against one passing offense better than ours, Indi, and won. You have also played alot of rushing offenses better than ours, KC, SD, Ten, Indi, and Denver (btw, did you know we have a higher ranked rushing offense than you? we average more yards per game and have 5 tds to your 4)

these teams have a better passing defense than us: KC, Tennessee, Denver, and Buffalo. and EVERY team you played had a better rushing defense than us.

So then.. statistically you could say that we have the worst defense you have come up against.. and are about average as offenses you have played goes.

Here is the kicker though.

We have the "worst" rushing defense.. yet we shut down tennessee who has a rushing offense far bette than yours. we have the worse passing defense.. yet 2 of the teams we beat have a higher passing offense than yours.

SO.. what can we deduce from all this?

stats dont mean ****.. and we are still going to win.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #45
Doug
All Pro

Well I'm not gonna get caught up in the who's better than who situation. Both teams have their strengths that can capitalize on the others weakness'. This is going to be one hell of a game. I see it as a low scoring game though with the Texans pulling it out 13 - 10 and Indy getting smoked by the Chiefs revitalized offense. It will be a fun weekend in the AFC South.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #46
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's what i don't understand. Why do some of you guys think your offense is going to put up such high numbers? Your offense isn't as good as the Colts
Total ofense in NFL, clots #3 Texans # 8, team offense QB rating, clots #2 Texans #4, points per game scored clots #1 Texans #8, total passing yards clots #5 Texans #10, might not be as good as the clots but pretty darn close.
Old 10-26-2004   #47
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

on paper we look better to have the adavntages against jacksonville, but with this emerging "it" factor they seem to possess, it'll be a dog fight. if a jag takes another cheap shot at a texan this year (like the one on JJ in the first game last year) i hope antwan peek lays jack del rio out, helmet through his chin. good, tough game regardless that will be a good indicator of were the texans are at....its battle red for a reason!!
texans - 17
jags - 13
Old 10-26-2004   #48
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think we split with the Jags and Colts and sweep the Thumbtacks this year. We stay undefeated in the Battle Red jerseys.

Texans 24, Jaguars 17
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #49
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Well here is one way to look at it... the first two teams we played and lost too, but honestly most texans fans arent counting those games since we were not "ourselves" at that time.

We have played 2 of the best offenses in the game in Minnesota and KC... beating one and almost beating the other.. your offense is not close to theirs
Once upon a time the Jags offense were too "not ourselves". You have no idea how badly we missed Brady. 2 Rookie WR's... Hey it was tough start, but the Jags still managed to scratch out victories while experiencing the growing pains associated with such a young team. I think the team being so young contributes to their ability to out play other teams in the 4th.

Our offense out played KC when we faced them. Our offense out played the Vikings last week. Jags are much closer to being one of the best offenses in the league than you think. Wake up. We just had 4 games averaging over 300 yards a game passing to an average of about 10 receivers a game. Jaguars offense is only getting better.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #50
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense is averaging 259 yards passing a game. I don't think many people here would argue that both of our teams have young QB's who are on the rise and that both of our offenses as a whole are on the rise. Just my opinion.
Old 10-26-2004   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
Our offense out played KC when we faced them. Our offense out played the Vikings last week.
Pssst--Dude, you didn't play the Vikings last week--it was the Colts.

In any event, the Jags offense has greatly improved over the last few games from the start of the season and IMO both the Jags and Texans have been performing much better than last year and look like they have lots of potential for growth still on O which should be very scary for the rest of the league.
Old 10-26-2004   #52
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I need to get back on track. I picked the first 5 games right and initially picked us against the Thumbtacks but changed my predictions at the 12th hours (4 mins before game time). 5-1 and soon to be 6-1 picking Texan's games.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #53
RWBinJax
Rookie

Frankly, I think the Jags and Texans will be "fighting it out" for the AFC South the next few years.

This year, maybe not. But in the meantime, I believe the Jags are about 4 points better, despite the "Vegas" odds.

Good luck, and let's have a good. clean game (i.e., no Denver cheap shot at the knees).
RWBinJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #54
Panther5407
All Pro

Texans 21
Jags 10

Jags stall on a couple of late drives, one a interception and the battle red continues to win.
Old 10-26-2004   #55
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
I predict that I am going to have a heart attack before the game even starts. I have never in all my life been worried about a game as much as I am this one. I predict that this is going to be an awesome game and I will leave it at that.

Now THERE's a sentiment I can respect. :hehe: I think I'm slightly more relaxed about this game, but that's mainly because the bye week allowed me to skip a weekend of football and reconnect with the real world. (Done with it for about 10 more weeks now!) This is a huge game for both teams and I do hope, for the sake of this division's new powers, that it's well played. I don't know if the Texans, who haven't done well after bye weeks, are quite ready to face another young team that has a knack for 4th-quarter excitement--but if they're not, it's mental, not physical. The Texans offense should (repeat, SHOULD) light up the Jags secondary, especially if Wade can make it back and keep the pressure off Carr.

But this is the predictions thread. Based on my continued reverse-psychology hot streak, here it is:

Jags 27
Texans 24
NATURALLY, a last-minute victory.

Happy to be wrong every week!

Last edited by TexanExile; 10-26-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #56
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41343 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans 19
Jags 16
axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #57
longhornjag
Rookie

The game WILL NOT be won by more than 7 and it WILL NOT be a high scoring affair, if you think either will happen you're too much of a homer to be thinking clearly.
longhornjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #58
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The game WILL NOT be won by more than 7 and it WILL NOT be a high scoring affair, if you think either will happen you're too much of a homer to be thinking clearly.
Vegas has the over/under set at 42 1/2. No not a terribly high scoring game but if you want a low scoring game look at Buffalo and Arizona.
Old 10-27-2004   #59
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Quote:
I think the game will be very close...and I beleive that either team can win this game by 3 points...Our Ofense has the tools to score 40 plus points but the coaching staff is holding them back with the play calling...If we open up the passing game we have WRs and TEs that can give any Defense a nightmare...If the Jags don't put pressure on Carr he will tear your Ds a part.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #60
JAGGATOR1

I agree. I expect a low scoring affair. Both of these teams have been going down field quite often this year, so it would be no suprise to see both Del Rio and Capers scheme against that. No long TD's or huge chunks of yardage will be given up through the air.

What I think it will come down to is each teams running game and special teams play. Normally, I would say the Jags have a "leg up" (no pun intended). However, we have some injuries on the OL we're dealing with and Taylor is dinged up (nursing a quad injury). So I will call this part of the matchup *even*.

Special teams however I have decidely in favor of the Jags.

Final score predicition....

Jags - 17

Tinhorns - 13

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read