Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2007   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Some people are IMPOSSIBLE to please!

Ever since the season ended people have been screaming for Carr to be run out of town.

So the Texans FINALLY make a move to replace David Carr and some of you people ARE STILL COMPLAINING!

I personally am THRILLED by this trade!

Gave up too much? Really? The tender on him was a 1st and a 3rd round pick. We managed to keep our first round pick. Swapping #8 for #10 isn't going to hurt much. We'll still get one of the players we target (Okoye, Landry, Brown, or maybe Leon Hall). The value of 2 second round picks is less than the value of a 1st and a 3rd. So IMO actually gave up less than they wanted.

And then figure in whatever we managed to get for Carr as a part of this deal. If we can get a 3rd round pick, then we're even that much better off!

And why are you people being so pessimistic? If you could have chosen any AVAILABLE FA or RFA quarterback that you would want on your team Schaub is BY FAR the best choice! I honeslty didn't think Atlanta would move him. I thought they might move Vick before Schaub!

They got BY FAR the best AVALIABLE option. Schaub is 25 years old, has already been in the league for 3 years learning, and is HUNGRY to prove his worth at the NFL level. I think we just got our QB for the next 8-10 years!

Schaub is highly regarded around the ENTIRE NFL as a future star that just needs a chance. I personally think this guy will be the next Matt Hasslebeck or Tom Brady.

What were our other options?

Garcia - he's old and only has a couple years left at most.
Plummer - lost desire for the game and again 7 years older than Schaub
Harrington - lol
Draft a QB? - We've already been down that around and you'd be back at square one with developmental stages.

Congrats Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith. Way to go get your man! Lets build around this guy and leave the Carr era in the past.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Some people are IMPOSSIBLE to please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
Ever since the season ended people have been screaming for Carr to be run out of town.

So the Texans FINALLY make a move to replace David Carr and some of you people ARE STILL COMPLAINING!

Gave up too much? Really? The tender on him was a 1st and a 3rd round pick. We managed to keep our first round pick. Swapping #8 for #10 isn't going to hurt much. We'll still get one of the players we target (Okoye, Landry, Brown, or maybe Leon Hall). The value of 2 second round picks is less than the value of a 1st and a 3rd. So IMO actually gave up less than they wanted.

And then figure in whatever we managed to get for Carr as a part of this deal. If we can get a 3rd round pick, then we're even that much better off!

And why are you people being so pessimistic? If you could have chosen any AVAILABLE FA or RFA quarterback that you would want on your team Schaub is BY FAR the best choice! I honeslty didn't think Atlanta would move him. I thought they might move Vick before Schaub!

They got BY FAR the best AVALIABLE option. Schaub is 25 years old, has already been in the league for 3 years learning, and is HUNGRY to prove his worth at the NFL level. I think we just got our QB for the next 8-10 years!

Schaub is highly regarded around the ENTIRE NFL as a future star that just needs a chance. I personally think this guy will be the next Matt Hasslebeck or Tom Brady.

Harrington - lol
Draft a QB? - We've already been down that around and you'd be back at square one with developmental stages.

Congrats Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith. Way to go get your man! Lets build around this guy and leave the Carr era in the past.
That's because a meaningful portion of posters on this board like to complain about something. It's what they do. Now that David is on the way to a new team, they will naturally have to find something new to complain about.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

winning will solve everything, well at least this topic

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #4
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:

Harrington - lol

I'm with you DBC!!! I can't wait for the season to begin!!!
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #5
macaronitoni
Rookie

Quote:

Harrington - lol

Personally, I'm pumped and can't wait to see Schaub in a Texan's uniform. I agree 100% with everything you just said. I don't think a 2nd round is a lot to ask for Schaub, and we only drop 2 spots in the first. Sure, we lose a 2nd rounder next year which could prove to be a grave mistake if schaub somehow doesn't live up to his hype, but thats a year away and it's conceivable to believe that we will be able to get it back via a trade with another team. Maybe we can trade carr and another player for next years 2nd rounder?
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #6
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:

Harrington - lol

I'm certainly hoping for the best. When I told my son (a sports geek and athlete if there ever was one) he was thrilled. He feels Schaub was the best non-starting QB in the league. We will see.

However, I also know there are more holes to fill and wasn't part of the ABC gang. I just felt that the QB was not the most important need.

That being said. I'm glad the QB issue is finally settled until the ABS crowd starts ginning up next year. I wish DC the best of luck in the future.

A new QB and a fresh start with one of the best QB gurus in the league to help him along. Lots of reasons to look forward to 2007!
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #7
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 66263 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

I am more pleased now than I have been in a very long time.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2007   #8
joshri
Rookie

I know this is how these boards work but does anyone else feel that 30 pages of posts on a certain topic is impossible to even get in on.
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #9
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

This team in 2007 could go 19-0 (including playoffs), all while they traded for Reggie Bush, Chad Johnson, Antonio Gates, Champ Bailey, and Julius Peppers before the trade deadline...win every game by 80 points apiece...and ppl will still complain saying "we shoulda won by 100".
Old 03-21-2007   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Harrington - lol

This is a bold risky move regardless of your complaining about people complaining.

Just because Atlanta put a tender offer on him doesn't mean someone had to pay them. Altanta was playing a game of chicken to get value before Schuab became unrestricted free agent next year. The Texans bit! Just like they did last year with Moulds, zero patience.

From the outset, Atlanta got one hell of deal. For the Texans to get one hell of a deal, Schuab needs to go All Pro and the Texans need to flirt with a Super Bowl appearance.

IMO, the Texans have zero patience when they should, and have all the patience in the world when they shouldn't.

We'll see what happens...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

messageboards by definition are where people gather to complain. I thought everyone knew that
Old 03-21-2007   #12
GanadoUHCoog
Rookie

hollywood texan has it EXACTLY right.
GanadoUHCoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #13
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we even know WHY we should like Schaub, or is it just that David won't be here. WHAT has Schaub done? He is a backup for heaven's sake. He hasn't done anymore than Sage. Or has he., Someone explain, why we would do this?
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #14
joshri
Rookie

My personal take on Matt Schaub and the difference between him and David Carr is that Shaub seems to have the intangibles.

My main problem with Carr is that he could never escape the pocket and Matt can. Carr had great mobility but it didn't really matter with him b/ he was so dang slow in reading the pocket collapsing.
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #15
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
What, if anything, we get for David Carr has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the Schaub deal. It's a weak attempt to make this horrible trade more pallatable.
Old 03-21-2007   #16
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever View Post
Do we even know WHY we should like Schaub, or is it just that David won't be here. WHAT has Schaub done? He is a backup for heaven's sake. He hasn't done anymore than Sage. Or has he., Someone explain, why we would do this?
He was playing backup to Michael Vick. Atlanta was not going to play Schaub in front of him. Almost like they did with Brett Farve in 1992. Schaub is highly regarded around the NFL. I can't wait for this season to start!
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #17
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

The truth is that nobody really knows what the hell is gonna happen with shaub. He could be the next Steve young or the next scott mitchell. NOBODY KNOWS!!! But there is alot of so called "draft experts" on this board that know everything and of course they're gonna say "we got robbed, we only should have given up a third for him". Well, in reality you have to give up something to get something in return.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #18
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
This is a bold risky move regardless of your complaining about people complaining.

Just because Atlanta put a tender offer on him doesn't mean someone had to pay them. Altanta was playing a game of chicken to get value before Schuab became unrestricted free agent next year. The Texans bit! Just like they did last year with Moulds, zero patience.

From the outset, Atlanta got one hell of deal. For the Texans to get one hell of a deal, Schuab needs to go All Pro and the Texans need to flirt with a Super Bowl appearance.

IMO, the Texans have zero patience when they should, and have all the patience in the world when they shouldn't.

We'll see what happens...
I agree with most of this, except the super bowl comment, maybe you're being sarcastic. I can see expecting Schaub to turn in a near or true All-Pro performance to justify the cost, but I don't expect 2 second round choices to buy a 6-10 team a flirtation with a superbowl appearance, regardless of who the players are. If superbowl appearances were that cheap we should've done this years ago. Suffice to say, if Schaub has a performance worthy of Pro Bowl consideration this year I will be viewing this deal in a much more positive light, with or without the Super Bowl flirtations.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #19
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Hollywood Texan- I usually agree with every post you make on this board, but I have to disagree with your conclusion here. I do agree that this was a bold move, but why can't this move be a good move unless Schaub becomes an all-pro and the Texans flirt with a Super Bowl appearance? When it comes down to it, the Texans gave up their 2nd pick in the 2008. Are you telling me that if we go 9-7 next year and Schaub establishes himself as a solid starter (but not all-pro), that this will be a bad move? What if we make the Super Bowl in four years, but Schaub never proves to be more than an average QB, will it still be a bad move?

Trust me, I get it. Honestly, I have gone from excited about this move to extremely concerned, but we have to try to stay fair here. The front office is trying to make this team better, which I think we have done with this move. Maybe we paid too much, but it isn't fair to make the benchmark for every move that it result in a Super Bowl appearance...we were 2-14 last year. Before last year, which one of our second round picks is even close to be considered an all-pro?

My concern is not so much the relative success of this move, but the consequences if this guy is just a bust. With as much upside as Shaub has, the downside to the FRANCHISE if he is a bust is ten times as great. Apart from further mortgaging our future, the PR hit we take if this doesn't work out will just be horrible for everyone involved. It is already hard to be a Texans fan, but coupled with the decisions made last year this time, it may become more than people care to deal with. Lets be honest, we are pretty much the laughing stock of the NFL for the moves made last draft. If Schaub is not an upgrade, then I think we the franchise will have spent any goodwill developed last year.

This move opens up a lot of old wounds regarding the decisions made last year, but I will be hoping that Schaub is the player that Kubiak and Smith think he can be. If we can reach .500 next year, we show consistency on offense and we win games because of Schaub, and not in spite of him, I will consider this move a success. After that, we have a 27 year old QB with a full year of Kubiak's system under his belt and we are all optimistic. Anything more than that, Smith and Kubiak are looking really smart.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #20
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:

Harrington - lol

yeah some people are hard to please....You should talk to my ex-girlfriend shheeeshhhhh

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read