Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2007   #1
Daonly
Veteran

Default Look at it like this..

Look at it like this. Schaub becomes our 2 round pick this year. Schuab> Stanton, Kolb. He's 25 years old and have has NFL experience. Some of his teammates on the Falcons wanted him to start over Vick.So in essence we give up a second rounder for Schuab in 08" and swap first rounder's. Now at #10 we don't have to hope for Peterson to be their'; That's why we signed Ahman Green. In trade discussions with Atlanta I bet they told them that their not really interested in drafting Peterson. If Peterson drops to #8 surely he can drop to #10. Would Miami trade down with Buffalo? I doubt it. Falcons not trading back down when they just traded up.

Now we don't have to reach for a player at #8 and take that same person Peterson,Landry,Nelson,Hall, Anderson at #10 and pay them #10 money instead of #8.Now with the addition of Schuab one less QB is on the market which make Carr the hottest QB on the market behind Russell and Quinn in the draft. Surely we can grab a draft pick from the Raiders, Browns, Vikings or Panthers. A 3rd rounder. So don't listen to the rest of the trolls on other MB's talking about we got screwed! We would have been screwed if we wasted another year with Carr as the starter. A lot of Fans would love to have Schuab as their QB. Raider Fans, Viking Fans, Jets Fans, Browns Fans, Etc Etc. I feel lucky to have this monkey off our back before the draft.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2
Shiney_McShine
Rookie

Default Re: Look at it like this..

Decent asessment of the trade and situation, however, I am unaware of any particular player from the Falcons that wanted Schaub to start over Vick, so I can not endorse that portion of your post. I do know many fans prefered Schaub, but what do fans know?...Besides drinking beer!
Shiney_McShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiney_McShine View Post
Decent asessment of the trade and situation, however, I am unaware of any particular player from the Falcons that wanted Schaub to start over Vick, so I can not endorse that portion of your post. I do know many fans prefered Schaub, but what do fans know?...Besides drinking beer!
Hey, we gotta be good at something. Right?
Old 03-21-2007   #4
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonly View Post
Look at it like this. Schaub becomes our 2 round pick this year. Schuab> Stanton, Kolb. He's 25 years old and have has NFL experience. Some of his teammates on the Falcons wanted him to start over Vick.So in essence we give up a second rounder for Schuab in 08" and swap first rounder's. Now at #10 we don't have to hope for Peterson to be their'; That's why we signed Ahman Green. In trade discussions with Atlanta I bet they told them that their not really interested in drafting Peterson. If Peterson drops to #8 surely he can drop to #10. Would Miami trade down with Buffalo? I doubt it. Falcons not trading back down when they just traded up.

Now we don't have to reach for a player at #8 and take that same person Peterson,Landry,Nelson,Hall, Anderson at #10 and pay them #10 money instead of #8.Now with the addition of Schuab one less QB is on the market which make Carr the hottest QB on the market behind Russell and Quinn in the draft. Surely we can grab a draft pick from the Raiders, Browns, Vikings or Panthers. A 3rd rounder. So don't listen to the rest of the trolls on other MB's talking about we got screwed! We would have been screwed if we wasted another year with Carr as the starter. A lot of Fans would love to have Schuab as their QB. Raider Fans, Viking Fans, Jets Fans, Browns Fans, Etc Etc. I feel lucky to have this monkey off our back before the draft.
AMEN!
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #5
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonly View Post

I don't buy into that fully, because you are still sacrificing two #2's for a QB. While you rationalize that the 2007 #2 gets you a QB anyways, you only spend the 2008 #2 for Schaub is silly. You still are taking a 2 for 1 approach when you think about it.

I like Schaub's upside, and this isn't a critique on the deal... time will tell, but to try to rationalize that we only gave up 1 #2 pick next year for him isn't accurate. It is still a 2 player to 1 player depth issue.
Old 03-21-2007   #6
Shiney_McShine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hey, we gotta be good at something. Right?
Depends on the beer.....I discovered Dogfish Head and can't get enough! I also brew my own, so I am getting good at drinking beer.
Shiney_McShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #7
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
but what do fans know?
Hell, I think we knew a LOT more than C&C. Of course, that didn't take much effort.

My money says Carr goes to Oakland. And they may still take Quinn. Give Carr a year then put in Quinn. Who knows?
Old 03-21-2007   #8
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default A petition for Matt Schaub

Here is what I see. .

We got a good QB that plays West Coast system (which is Kub's style).

He is a mannered person has shown lots of leadership abilities (which is something we really needed for a QB of the Texans).

His numbers arent the best, but he is the BEST bar none FA and most sought after QB on the market even before other QB's were signed this year.

He has been seen as a starter QB for the last year, just not given the chance.

Many people feel he will be a pro-bowler in the next few years.

He comes under a head coach that was a former QB coach and considered one of the better QB coaches out there (meaning who else would be better to evaluate if he was worth it?)

This gives the Texans Fans, and players a New faith and confidence in the team. No more boos when they walk out to the field now. Have the city behind them. (yes, I know, they have always been behind them, but this will help show it)

The cost: drop two spots in the first, second round this year and next.

Alot of you say, this is too high?

If Schaub takes us to the playoffs in two years, is it still too high of a price. If he becomes a pro-bowler, is it still too high? You are yelling about his price. But I would have paid much more not to have to endure the 2-14 year. Lets wait before we start talking about if he is worth it or not until he has two seasons under his belt. Then we can talk. Right now, we all dont know if the price was to high.

Funny thing is, I dont think Kub and Rick Smith are done by a long way.

I, as a Texan Fan, am happy to invite Matt 'Sling' Schaub to my team of greatness. I think he has a chip on his shoulder about being a backup for 3 years, and now has the arena to show what he can do. I am STOKED, and I hope you are too...

Today, are team has changed. People are thinking, hmmmm.. maybe we need to worry a bit about these Texans.

I am sorry to ramble.. but picking up four decent picks in FA, not paying out the train (trying to be nice) for them, and this making a huge impact deal for Schaub. AND we still have the draft to go. AND next year, we will have lots of money for a cap.

WOW...

Last edited by Dime; 03-21-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #9
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A petition for Matt Schaub

I am just happy he is ugly.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #10
Ckw

Like what you have to say. Just edit one thing. 2-14 not 2-16. 16 games in a season not 18. But good post.
Old 03-21-2007   #11
Caphorn
Rookie

That doesn't work. Presumably if you trade Carr for a 3rd rounder that is neutral value.

Here's how I would analyze it:

Texans get Schaub for draft picks. There value is as follows:

1st round swap - worth 100 pts
2nd round picks - worth between 450 and 500 a piece (900 to 1000 pts total)

That would mean that you are essentially treating Schaub as somewhere between the 14th and 16th pick in the first round (1,000 to 1,100 points). Would you have traded a first rounder of this value for Schaub - that's really the million dollar question? Or put another way, would you draft Schaub at this position in the draft? Is he that good? Apparently, Smith thinks he is and he and Kubiak have seen enough of his work in the NFL to know pretty much what they are getting.
Caphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #12
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Like what you have to say. Just edit one thing. 2-14 not 2-16. 16 games in a season not 18. But good post.
your right.. my bad.. i will change
Old 03-21-2007   #13
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 243 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather just have the wait and see approach.

Besides, we actually have posters in here that can step in right away if he doesn't work out.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #14
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker View Post
I'd rather just have the wait and see approach.

Besides, we actually have posters in here that can step in right away if he doesn't work out.
Old 03-21-2007   #15
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

i'm glad we have a change of scenery at QB but now we need O-LINE to protect matt. and moving down two spots is somewhat bad because we probably won't get landry or quinn (who we don't need anymore!) but we can still get reggie nelson and get Levi Brown in the second. (yeah, thats what i think of him)
Old 03-21-2007   #16
afcman
Veteran

You're right about having new hope. I'm certainly fired up. I'm as excited as I was the first year.

Maybe will get put back on TV again.

The team was certainly at a crossroads. If Carr had stayed I could see ugly stuff start to settle in.......empty seats....bags on heads.....lots of yelling, etc.

I'm ready for the draft....this ain't over yet fans.......

And I'll say again....it's great to finally hear texans talk on Sirius NFL radio!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2007   #17
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I think, as a fan, that the price is too high.

1) Quarterback was an area of need, I understand that, but I still think our defensive secondary was a bigger area of need.
2) Waiting three hours between Texans picks is really going to suck.
Old 03-21-2007   #18
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah....that 3 hour wait between picks may just scuttle my plans for a draft day party.
Old 03-21-2007   #19
DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Rookie

It's pure conjecture to say that Schaub>Stanton, Kolb.

Is DeWayne White>Gaines Adams, Anderson, Carriker?

Michael Lewis>LaRon Landry?

We don't know just yet, but we'll eventually find out.
DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #20
Daonly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 View Post
It's pure conjecture to say that Schaub>Stanton, Kolb.

Is DeWayne White>Gaines Adams, Anderson, Carriker?

Michael Lewis>LaRon Landry?

We don't know just yet, but we'll eventually find out.
Yeah who to say, but who to say if they are avalible when we pick? (Stanton,Kolb) At least we know that we have a solid QB, whose going to be here April 1st for spring ball and reading the playbook almost a month before the draft. I'll give up that second in 08' anyday if it gets us in the Playoffs. At least Schuab has a better WR to throw to than Vick (AJ)!
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read