Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2007   #1
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP
Default A closer look at Schaub's statistics

Anyone who expects anything from a rookie quarterback is dumb. That's simply not how it works in the NFL.

Take away Schaub's rookie statistics (where essentially every QB sucks) and this is what you have:

51-91, 703 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT, QB rating about 90

Furthermore, in the two games where he's seen significant playing time (more than 20 pass atttempts) he's had:
15-21, 175 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 92.4 rating (vs. Eagles)
18-34, 298 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 112.1 rating (vs. Patriots)

He's earned rave reviews in preseason, practice, training camp and in every opportunity he's had to showcase his skills. Scouts view him as a starter, and he's looked good in most of his real action... he just hasn't gotten the opportunity. Same situation with Matt Hasselbeck earlier this decade.

Schaub is a quality player if you look at the numbers outside of his rookie season (when essentially every QB will suck). He's going to help.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2
Ckw

Default Re: A closer look at Schaub's statistics

Great statistics. I think what everyone is missing is Gary Kubiak. I believe Kubiak and Smith know what they are doing. Let's just hope the guy does well. Everyone keeps bringing up how the Falcons message board is eating this up. Did we all forget the Falcons also have Vick? Did we forget the Falcons have Vick, the most overhyped quarterback in the NFL? Did we forget the Falcons have Vick, the same guy who flips the bird to his hometown fans?

Who is the Falcons QB again?
Old 03-21-2007   #3
Sportsfan
All Pro

What is everyone's take on Schaub's leadership abilities? Is he capable of being a field general?
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #4
Dunta_23
All Pro

Falcons have Vick and neither the old or new coaching staff can do much about that...He is very close with the Owner...and was in a situation close to David Carr's, yet even more....

A lot of Falcons fans dislike Vick's QB ability....
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #5
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
What is everyone's take on Schaub's leadership abilities? Is he capable of being a field general?
I was curious about that exact same thing. I don't think we are going to find that out until we see him on the field. Unless you just happen to know some one in the Falcons organization.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He has been reported to be a leader and a very hard worker.
Old 03-21-2007   #7
Shiney_McShine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
Falcons fan here. Don't expect Schaub to be another Brady(although don't expect him not to be either). He is a good person who had a regular spot on a sports talk radio show where he exhibited poise, maners and a sense of humor. Be patient as he has limited experience, but I think he will turn out to be a good QB. He has three years of NFL life, but only a few games of NFL contact.

Good luck!
Shiney_McShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2007   #8
TexansMVP
Probowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I was curious about that exact same thing. I don't think we are going to find that out until we see him on the field. Unless you just happen to know some one in the Falcons organization.
I just remembered that Dan Reeves who served as a consultant for the Texans last year had some ties with the Falcons, so may be they got some insight from him.

So far, I am still not sure what to think about the deal. I just hope they didn't pull a Buchanon type of trade deal.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #9
Shiney_McShine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post
I just remembered that Dan Reeves who served as a consultant for the Texans last year had some ties with the Falcons, so may be they got some insight from him.

So far, I am still not sure what to think about the deal. I just hope they didn't pull a Buchanon type of trade deal.
Reeves ties to the Falcons had little if nothing to do with this. Every player on every team is graded. The Texans were aware of Schaub while he was still in college.
Old 03-21-2007   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post

Reeves was out of Atlanta before the Falcons selected Schaub.
Old 03-21-2007   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiney_McShine View Post
Falcons fan here. Don't expect Schaub to be another Brady(although don't expect him not to be either). He is a good person who had a regular spot on a sports talk radio show where he exhibited poise, maners and a sense of humor. Be patient as he has limited experience, but I think he will turn out to be a good QB. He has three years of NFL life, but only a few games of NFL contact.

Good luck!
What did you (Falcon fans) think of his performance when he was able to play?
Old 03-21-2007   #12
Shiney_McShine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What did you (Falcon fans) think of his performance when he was able to play?
As I stated in another thread, many in Atlanta felt Schaub was the better QB. I am not so sure, but I am what is known as a Vick apologist!

My feelings are if Schaub gets a lot of playing time, he will be better then the stats indicate. He had one game where he torched the Patriots, but lost because the defense gave up too many big plays and too many points. He has shown a lot of poise.
Old 03-21-2007   #13
Ckw

Quote:
As I stated in another thread, many in Atlanta felt Schaub was the better QB. I am not so sure, but I am what is known as a Vick apologist!

My feelings are if Schaub gets a lot of playing time, he will be better then the stats indicate. He had one game where he torched the Patriots, but lost because the defense gave up too many big plays and too many points. He has shown a lot of poise.
Great insights. I think the amazing stats, as little as one can pay attention to them, came when you erase his rookie season. Outside of his rookie season he had 5 tds and 2 ints or so. Doesn't sound much like Carr at all, so I consider it an improvement. What I don't get is shouldn't we consider this a better pickup, at least some decent stats, than an unproven draft pick?
Old 03-21-2007   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis View Post
Anyone who expects anything from a rookie quarterback is dumb. That's simply not how it works in the NFL.

Take away Schaub's rookie statistics (where essentially every QB sucks) and this is what you have:

51-91, 703 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT, QB rating about 90

Furthermore, in the two games where he's seen significant playing time (more than 20 pass atttempts) he's had:
15-21, 175 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 92.4 rating (vs. Eagles)
18-34, 298 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 112.1 rating (vs. Patriots)

He's earned rave reviews in preseason, practice, training camp and in every opportunity he's had to showcase his skills. Scouts view him as a starter, and he's looked good in most of his real action... he just hasn't gotten the opportunity. Same situation with Matt Hasselbeck earlier this decade.

Schaub is a quality player if you look at the numbers outside of his rookie season (when essentially every QB will suck). He's going to help.

this makes me feel better. the one game i saw him play he looked good.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is just a photo, and you can read too much into them.

Looks to me like Schaub (the backup) is trying to encourage Vick (the starter). That's what a leader would do.
Old 03-21-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I heard that he actually watches game film on his own time. Yeah, he puts a priority on his football career.
Old 03-21-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

HAha, looks like schaub is going to get a championship ring before Vick. Cool thing is, we play Atlanta next season in ATL so i'll bet some of the fans will enjoy seeing Schaub play them.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #18
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Im hoping Schaub is welcomed in ATL the same way VY was in HOU this year...with the same result
Old 03-21-2007   #19
Shiney_McShine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This is just a photo, and you can read too much into them.

Looks to me like Schaub (the backup) is trying to encourage Vick (the starter). That's what a leader would do.
Uhhh......I think he is looking at his water bottle.
Old 03-21-2007   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uhhh......I think he is looking at his water bottle.
I'm glad you said water bottle.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read