Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2007   #1
mikey21
Lifer

Rep Power: 10 mikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Did the Texans over pay for Schaub ?

as many people now know about the pending deal that is going to bring Schaub to the Texans, the question I have is was he over paid for. reports are saying the Texans are swapping the 8th pick for the 10th and giving Atlanta this years 2nd round pick and next years 2nd round pick

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6594578
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

lets also look at the body of work Mr. Shaub has had thus far in the NFL, in 38 games he has started 2 losing both games, he has att 161 passes with 84 comp for a pct of 52.2 and for 1033 yds 6 tds and 6 ints giving schaub at rating of 69.2

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493050

if the reports do end up being true, I have the bad feeling that the Texans over paid for Schaub, i understand the possible swapping of first round picks and even maybe one 2nd round pick, but the extra 2nd round pick to me shows the Texans were desperate, now i have no idea what other deals may be in the works either for Carr or trading down even further in the draft, but right now this kind of deal smells and looks kinda like a casserly type deal, but what do i know i am just another Texans fan

Last edited by mikey21; 03-21-2007 at 02:53 PM.
mikey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did the Texans over pay for Schaub ?

Shouldn't we wait until we know what the Texans paid (NFL Network is saying a 2+ something else, ESPN's ticker said 1 2nd but the talking head said 2 2nds, etc)?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #3
Daonly
Veteran

#10, Peterson, Landry, Nelson, or Hall.

2nd round pick, Matt Schaub

3-7 anyone's guest.

David Carr? traded to Raiders for 1st pick in the 3rd or for Moss or a 3 way swap to the Raiders where we get Green bays 2nd round pick.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #4
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
Did the Texans over pay for Schaub ?
As of now.....NO!

I really have not been this excited since the first 2 seasons.

Now who will be our backup?

Old 03-21-2007   #5
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

laron landry = next bob sanders. ill take lands

all ive heard was that we swapped 1st rounders...gave up a second this yr, AND next yr's second rounder. yeah that may be a little too much so we will haveta see how schaub does. at this point though, schaub is going to be the starter. for what ive heard about what the texans are giving up, i just dont see schaub playing behind sage, NOR CARR for that matter. its pretty inevitable what is going to happen. i can honestly see carr in a raider uniform.
Old 03-21-2007   #6
Brandyon
Rookie

YES THEY OVERPAID

you give this much up in trades for a QB who has a track record record, not some dude who is pure hype as of now. It might pay off... the dude might be great, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have given up as much as they are supposed to at this time. The Falcons are going to have a #8 pick, and two second rounders... two more second rounder picks next year... now THAT is a deal... i would much rather be in their shoes.
Brandyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #7
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

We're giving them WHAT?!!?!?!?!?
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2007   #8
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Shouldn't we wait until we know what the Texans paid (NFL Network is saying a 2+ something else, ESPN's ticker said 1 2nd but the talking head said 2 2nds, etc)?
That is what I have heard as well. If we only gave up a 2nd rounder when it was said that someone would have to give up a 1st and 3rd for him, then I say we did not overpay.
Old 03-21-2007   #9
fingers5
Rookie

If it did cost them that 2008 second, then we definitely overpaid. This team has shown nothing but contempt for the talent that is available in the upper rounds and continues to throw draft picks around like PacMan does singles. When are they going to learn that good things do come to those that draft intelligently.

My only prayer is that someone within the Texans organization finds someone as stupid as they are when it comes to trading D.C.
Old 03-21-2007   #10
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Yea they did if they gave up two second round choices. Schaub's an unproven player, and you're going to give up two first day draft picks for him? This could blow up in our face worse than the PBuch fiasco. I was hoping the days of these kinds of deals left with Casserly.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #11
wrestler4life
Veteran

I just checked, and it appears that they did give up 2nds in this and next years drafts. That is 2 Demeco's right there.
I really think that we overpaid after getting burnt in the search for others.
Old 03-21-2007   #12
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers5 View Post
If it did cost them that 2008 second, then we definitely overpaid. This team has shown nothing but contempt for the talent that is available in the upper rounds and continues to throw draft picks around like PacMan does singles. When are they going to learn that good things do come to those that draft intelligently.

My only prayer is that someone within the Texans organization finds someone as stupid as they are when it comes to trading D.C.
Amen!!!! thank you
Old 03-21-2007   #13
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

Sad day for the Texans, we got ripped bad
Old 03-21-2007   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they overpaid with two 2nd round picks, but not by much. If Matt Schaub works out, then it's a good deal. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we aren't going to have a high 2nd round pick in 2008. I'm guessing we'll have a mid-to-late 2nd rounder in 2008 so that pick won't be worth as much.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #15
fingers5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think they overpaid with two 2nd round picks, but not by much. If Matt Schaub works out, then it's a good deal. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we aren't going to have a high 2nd round pick in 2008. I'm guessing we'll have a mid-to-late 2nd rounder in 2008 so that pick won't be worth as much.
Ah, the Charley Casserly mentality. Lets not try to use them to our advantage, lets just give them away. (see the PBuc trade)
Old 03-21-2007   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers5 View Post
Ah, the Charley Casserly mentality. Lets not try to use them to our advantage, lets just give them away. (see the PBuc trade)
How can you say we are giving them away until you see Schaub play? Unless you can somehow see what the future is like and tell me Schaub is going to be a bust, you can't say it's a terrible trade. If Schaub becomes the QB the Texans think he can be (a good or very good QB), then it's not a bad deal. You take risks making trades.

Thanks to Premier

Last edited by TexanSam; 03-21-2007 at 03:23 PM.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #17
sleepwalker
Veteran

You just can't put a price on shutting up Carr haters and VY crybabies...This trade was worth every penny.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #18
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4649552.html

Yes, we've over paid. I've heard all the hype over this guy the past couple of years, but what's he done to be worthy of 2 seconds round picks, and switching 1st? We could draft a just as proven QB this year, rather than give up this much. Schaub was a 3rd 4 years ago and hasn't played much at all. Atlanta only got a 2nd from GB for Farve. What makes this guy so speacial. He better show some stuff on the field real quick. I hope we get a 2nd from the Raiders for Carr, if we have to give up 2 2nd's for Schaub. This bothers me.

Only time will tell, and I hope Schaub works out.
Old 03-21-2007   #19
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
That's a big IF
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #20
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Could we still get Landry at the 10?
& I also think 2 2nd rounders is a bit too much, maybe a 2nd this year & a 3rd next year would be better.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read