Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-21-2007   #1
Ells1626
TenderoftheBar

Default Patrick Willis

I was listening to 610 this morning and they were talking about Willis's pro day and how he tore it up. I think they said he ran like a 4.37 40 and weighs like around 240. IMO if AD, and Landry are gone I would not mine having this guy at #8, if we could trade down that would be great, but I dont think we can trade down too far and still grab him.

Anyways if we would draft him we would have a great linebacker core for years to come with him as well as demeco. Which would remind me of another great duo with the Bears.

Just wanted to throw that out and see what everyone else thought on a different view for the draft.
Ells1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default Re: Patrick Willis

he's a heck of a LB there's no doubt about that...the only thing is how much of a need is LB for us now with the signings of clark and barber...granted those guys aren't going to be around for long but i just don't see us taking willis at the 8th pick...now there are probably several trade down scenarios where that could happen...but still unlikely with all the wholes we still need to fill

as for his talent he's the best LB in this years draft...i don't think he's the player that AJ Hawk is...and i think he's probably comparable to chad greenway last year...think of a bigger version of demeco ryans with probably less football savy...still i would rank him somewhere in between ryans and greenway last year
Old 03-21-2007   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see a trade up war between Buffalo and Green Bay to try to get Marshawn Lynch. I wouldn't mind taking Willis in either spot if we could reap the benefits of that trade.

Buffalo has an extra third rounder after the McGahee deal.
Old 03-21-2007   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells1626 View Post
I was listening to 610 this morning and they were talking about Willis's pro day and how he tore it up. I think they said he ran like a 4.37 40 and weighs like around 240. IMO if AD, and Landry are gone I would not mine having this guy at #8, if we could trade down that would be great, but I dont think we can trade down too far and still grab him.

Anyways if we would draft him we would have a great linebacker core for years to come with him as well as demeco. Which would remind me of another great duo with the Bears.

Just wanted to throw that out and see what everyone else thought on a different view for the draft.
I heard this talk this morning too and was intigued.
Old 03-21-2007   #5
Ells1626
TenderoftheBar

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
he's a heck of a LB there's no doubt about that...the only thing is how much of a need is LB for us now with the signings of clark and barber...granted those guys aren't going to be around for long but i just don't see us taking willis at the 8th pick...now there are probably several trade down scenarios where that could happen...but still unlikely with all the wholes we still need to fill

as for his talent he's the best LB in this years draft...i don't think he's the player that AJ Hawk is...and i think he's probably comparable to chad greenway last year...think of a bigger version of demeco ryans with probably less football savy...still i would rank him somewhere in between ryans and greenway last year

I agree with you that our biggest need isn't linebacker this year, but with Barber and Clark you have two older guys but have the vertanship to help coach the young linebackers eventhough that would be expensive. I am sure that the texans would probably cut Clark (assumption) and keep Barber.

The best thing about this though would be that we would not have to worry about this for years to come. Personally if we trade down I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up Willis, or Houston for a CB or something along those lines. Tell ya the truth I wouldn't mind where we drafted but I think there is a lot of good talent on the defensive side of the ball this year and I think we should indulge on that.
Old 03-21-2007   #6
humbleone
Veteran

Great prospect but the wrong pick for us. If we go D, Landry would be the biggest upgrade and he is btw considered by many to be the best defensive player in this years draft...not bad value with the 8th pick.

If we go O, then a reasonable case can be made for Brown, AP or trade-up to get CJ (best player in the draft)...and yes I know Smith said the Texans are not interested in trading up but a guy can dream about how much fun it would be to watch AJ, CJ, Daniels and Green coming at the Colts, Titans etc...
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #7
Ells1626
TenderoftheBar

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleone View Post
Great prospect but the wrong pick for us. If we go D, Landry would be the biggest upgrade and he is btw considered by many to be the best defensive player in this years draft...not bad value with the 8th pick.

If we go O, then a reasonable case can be made for Brown, AP or trade-up to get CJ (best player in the draft)...and yes I know Smith said the Texans are not interested in trading up but a guy can dream about how much fun it would be to watch AJ, CJ, Daniels and Green coming at the Colts, Titans etc...
I know Landry would be and thats who I want, but im just saying if AD and Landry are gone, I think this pick would be a nice asset. If the draft had AD and Landry gone and we looked as if we weren't trading down, I would rather have Willis than BQ. Maybe Adams, Okoye, or Anderson would be there which wouldn't be bad either.
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2007   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells1626 View Post
I know Landry would be and thats who I want, but im just saying if AD and Landry are gone, I think this pick would be a nice asset. If the draft had AD and Landry gone and we looked as if we weren't trading down, I would rather have Willis than BQ. Maybe Adams, Okoye, or Anderson would be there which wouldn't be bad either.
If both are gone I wouldn't mind a trade down to take Nelson. Another stud safety and you get picks.
Old 03-21-2007   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really doubt any LB ran a 4.37

That means that he has the same bulk as CJ and should be able to cover him step for step. I call BS on this time.
Old 03-21-2007   #10
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post

That means that he has the same bulk as CJ and should be able to cover him step for step. I call BS on this time.
Did'nt Vernon Davis run like a 4.38 at 250+?...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #11
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen anything posted yet at NFL.com, but have seen here and there that Willis ran a 4.73.
Old 03-21-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind Willis on the team, but linebacker in not a weakness of this team. We don't have a strong LB corps, but I think we have enough to win with the talent at that position. Secondary is the major area of weakness on the defense, not our linebackers.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post

I heard it this morning too. They said it was at his pro day yesterday, not the combine. We will see.
Old 03-21-2007   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/in...rkouts#olemiss

Quote:
Willis (6-1, 237 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 and 4.38. He also had a 4.37 short shuttle and 7.10 three-cone drill. He stood on his numbers from the Combine for the rest.
there it is...im impressed that he ran it twice to show it wasnt a fluke or anything
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/in...rkouts#olemiss

there it is...im impressed that he ran it twice to show it wasnt a fluke or anything

Thanks, I knew I had heard that also.
Old 03-21-2007   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really wish LB was more of a need for us and our team was more complete...Willis wouldn't be a stretch and i would absolutely love the pick. He's extremely solid and going to be a great LB for a very long time.

We just have too many other pressing needs, if AD/AP andLandry are gone...Someone like okoye, or anderson might be there and i see that as a better pick for our team than willis.

I would love to see willis and demeco playing next to each other...maybe in the pro bowl next year though!!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #17
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Willis would be a nice addition to our defense. It'll be interesting to see what this does to his draft stock.
texasguy346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy isn't a bad pick for #10 either except that he plays MLB and we haev DeMeco playing MLB. If we drafted him we would to have to move one...the question is which one?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
This guy isn't a bad pick for #10 either except that he plays MLB and we haev DeMeco playing MLB. If we drafted him we would to have to move one...the question is which one?
I like Willis at 10 better than 8 too. I still see us as having more holes to fill...and the FA additions helped a little at LB for this next season...but Willis would be a long term solution.

screw it...let's just get willis.

I don't know what we'd do about mlb and olb. i could see willis playing slb. but maybe he'd be in the middle and meco would move outside. everyone hates that idea and wants to castrate me for bringing it up a few weeks ago...but shoot man...Willis would just get DROY next year...is that so bad!!!? lol

wow, our team is going to be good, i'm excited.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
That's the biggest problem I see there. But there is nothing wrong with stoking up on Talent.

I do however believe that LB is our biggest need (next to QB, but I think we've settled that).

Our LBs cover much worse than our Corners(our next biggest need) & our safeties.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read