Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2007   #1
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Default Talk Offense, don't talk Carr

Talk about anything on offense, or you think should be mentioned, but it just can't mention Carr or any references to him with degrading nicknames. I am sick of the Slam Carr threads.

I will start, #2 WR Kevin Walter or Jerome Mathis.
Old 03-20-2007   #2
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Talk Offense, don't talk Carr

I like Jerome Mathis. He has the speed to stretch defenses and take some pressure off of AJ. From what I understand though, is that he has some trouble running routes, or is it his hands? Regardless, I think it's safe to say that he hasn't had the best coaching thoughout his pro career, and didn't play much this past season. Let's see what he does during/after Training Camp.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #3
Ride 'Em
Rookie

We really need to pick up a #2 WR in free agency or the draft if that's all there is to choose from. Those guys are #3/slot receivers at best.
Old 03-20-2007   #4
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
Rookie

I read somewhere once that Mathis has not shown the effort to work on his game prep. and play knowledge. He certainly should be a #2 WR in the league, but I think those where his low spots. I don't think Walters is a #2. Hopefully we find a speedster in the draft.
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #5
Gamehorn25
Veteran

I think also think that we need a #2 WR, and I have my eyes set on Sidney Rice in the draft. He runs excellent routes and can catch a jump ball better than anyone.
Old 03-20-2007   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I wasn't talking about Carr...

"David Carr was here"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehorn25 View Post
#2 WR Kevin Walter or Jerome Mathis.
Hopefully, neither. Smith and Kubiak have to find a better option to put across from Johnson.

"I'm still talking abot Carr. You can't stop me. Hahahahahahahah..."
Old 03-20-2007   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

I think we are done in the FA market. But WR is gonna be a need if you ask me. But since Bob McNair didn't ask me, I guess it will be a wait and see...

We know that Mathis is a burner, that is for sure. But can he run the routes expected and show us sure hands? Those are the worries.

Also everyone seems content on an old running back who use to have it and a backup who came on late in the season but is not a burner. I think we will have serious issues at the RB position if AD is not available for us to draft. But time will tell I guess and another thousand dollars for my season tickets...
Old 03-20-2007   #8
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
Rookie

I agree.
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #9
texas mopar
Rookie

Quote:
Talk about anything on offense, or you think should be mentioned, but it just can't mention Carr or any references to him with degrading nicknames. I am sick of the Slam Carr threads.

I like Mathis if he can work his way into the game ,but also like Walter. If were so lucky to get AP I think that could be huge.
Old 03-20-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Walter makes a perfect #3. I don't think Mathis can stay healty enough to be an every down #2 (he kind of reminds me of Jermaine Lewis) which is okay to bring in on occasion. I think the key here, is to go get a #2 through the draft since none (worth their salt) are left on the free agent market...
Old 03-20-2007   #11
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Can you imagine though a Johnson & Johnson WR combo?

Wow! Just imagine the looks that Owen Daniels would get?
Old 03-20-2007   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kevin Walter, I have seen him catch a football unlike Mathis.

I would like to see what he can do in the open field. His senior year at Eastern Mich he put up 1368 receiving yards on 93 catches. I believe he also had 9 TDs.

I know its Eastern Mich but you have to have some skills to put up those kind of numbers.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I know everyone hates to keep talking about Denver, but Denver has done pretty well, with out a real #2 reciever that stretches the field.

I think we'll be fine with Walther as a #2, and bringing in David Anderson/Jerome Mathis as our third reciever.

I really like that Anderson kid.
Old 03-20-2007   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know everyone hates to keep talking about Denver, but Denver has done pretty well, with out a real #2 reciever that stretches the field.
Ashlie Lelie was their #2 for the 4 years prior to acquiring Walker and his one asset was stretching the field.
Old 03-20-2007   #15
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

right now i would have to say kevin walter deserves a shot at the number 2 reciever but that doesn't mean we should bring in guys to challenge him

as for mathis i wrote this on another thread where i thought mathis has more potential that what was previously thought of...we should use mathis with screen passes...his vision that he uses so well on KR's could be utilized during screen passes that usually result in 5yd gains...he could turn those into 30yd td's
Old 03-20-2007   #16
texun
Rookie

Quote:

I think we'll be fine with Walther as a #2, and bringing in David Anderson/Jerome Mathis as our third reciever.

I really like that Anderson kid.
I agree. Anderson could be a very good receiver for us. I think our receiver situation overall is a better than most people know. Most of the available FA receivers are over priced, over rated and carry a lot of baggage.
texun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Ashlie Lelie was their #2 for the 4 years prior to acquiring Walker and his one asset was stretching the field.
I know Ashley was a receiver with the Broncos for 4 years, But Shannon Sharpe opened their offense more than he did prior to 2004.
Old 03-20-2007   #18
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:

I haven't seen enough of Mathis catching the ball to throw him into the #2 spot.
Old 03-20-2007   #19
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
I know Ashley was a receiver with the Broncos for 4 years, But Shannon Sharpe opened their offense more than he did prior to 2004.
I'm glad we didn't get Lelie. I think it's smart that they aren't too active in FA. They want to build through the draft, which is smart.
Old 03-20-2007   #20
grahamcracker977
Rookie

No Lelie...thank God. Wondering if he'll be happy anywhere he plays.
Anthony Gonzales in the draft...pretty please.
grahamcracker977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read