Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-20-2007   #1
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
Rookie

Default Peterson, Quinn, or Landry?

I know that this is mostly likely never going to happen, but for the sake of curiosity...if Adrain Peteson, Brady Quinn, and Laron Landry are there at #8, which player do you take and why? If Oakland does not take a QB with the 1st overall pick, don't be surprised if at least two of these players are there at #8.
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #2
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77
Default Re: Peterson, Quinn, or Landry?

Brady Quinn...we need a QB, this guy has been in a pro-style offense under Charlie Weis, we can mould him for a while and have him be our champion QB

Last edited by freedoggy77; 03-20-2007 at 01:47 PM.
freedoggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #3
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
i would take Landry because Quinn is a gamble and we have ENOUGH RBs on our roster. However, knowing McNair if this occurs then ALL DAY will be wearing a Texans uniform.
How is Quinn a gamble any more than any other qb? I think JR is more than a gamble then Quinn IMO.
Anyways I would take Quinn bc we need a qb bad that can step in next year and this draft is deep with recievers, and db's. I agree next year we will get our rb bc they will have a really great class next year. Quinn has already been and suceded in the pro style offense and Kubes likes him alot so Im giong with Quinn.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #4
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan View Post
I know that this is mostly likely never going to happen, but for the sake of curiosity...if Adrain Peteson, Brady Quinn, and Laron Landry are there at #8, which player do you take and why? If Oakland does not take a QB with the 1st overall pick, don't be surprised if at least two of these players are there at #8.

This is a doozy for sure. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that AD is definately an elite speciman at running back but we can take a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round and make them look like 1st round talent with the offensive scheme we are running.

I am going to get flogged for this, but I am going to go with Brady Quinn. I have seen this kid play with heart as well as smarts and beleive he is a rare breed at the QB position.

Landry is an excellent DB prospect but he is the guy we fall back on when BQ and AD are off the boards.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol freedoggy really changed his answer if that quote is accurate.

Anyway, I would probably take Peterson. He's more of a game changer than any of the others. If all 3 were available, however, I think we could get a king's ransom from a trade down, and would therefore opt to do that. Then we could pick up Hall or someone of similar talent about 5-10 picks later
Old 03-20-2007   #6
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quinn couldn't carry Notre Dame, and he is going to carry the Texans?

That is the problem with Quinn, he is Carr redux. The Texans don't have enough players to help Quinn out.

Inherently, the riskiest picks to take in the first round, and particularly in the top 10 picks, are QB and RB. Just look at the the last 10 years of the first round, and particularly the first 10 picks, they are littered with underachieving QBs and RBs.

Every team needs a Franchise QB, but the problem is finding one!

If the Texans take Quinn and maybe even Peterson, they are making the same classic mistake back in 2002.

Build the lines on both sides of the ball and get some real secondary help. By the way, a real CB and safeties are generally taken very early in drafts.

A top 10 pick at QB needs to be seriously considered for the Hall of Fame to be considered a decent pick in retrospect, I don't see Quinn coming close to that in his NFL career.

Just because there is a need at QB, doesn't mean the Texans have to draft 1st round this year, or even address it at all. They could wait till next year and still get to .500 next year. If Kubiak is as good as coach as everyone thinks, he should be able to do that.

I probably would take Landry, but Peterson would be very tempting. But, you can get great value at the RB position in later rounds if the scouting is done properly.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #7
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35666 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take Peterson before I take Quinn.

Quinn would be second, and if he wasn't there, then I would take Reggie Nelson....
Old 03-20-2007   #8
sixfour
Site Contributor

Section: 136/350/353
Rep Power: 40 sixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

That is the problem with Quinn, he is Carr redux. The Texans don't have enough players to help Quinn out.

Inherently, the riskiest picks to take in the first round, and particularly in the top 10 picks, are QB and RB. Just look at the the last 10 years of the first round, and particularly the first 10 picks, they are littered with underachieving QBs and RBs.

Every team needs a Franchise QB, but the problem is finding one!

If the Texans take Quinn and maybe even Peterson, they are making the same classic mistake back in 2002.

Build the lines on both sides of the ball and get some real secondary help. By the way, a real CB and safeties are generally taken very early in drafts.

A top 10 pick at QB needs to be seriously considered for the Hall of Fame to be considered a decent pick in retrospect, I don't see Quinn coming close to that in his NFL career.

Just because there is a need at QB, doesn't mean the Texans have to draft 1st round this year, or even address it at all. They could wait till next year and still get to .500 next year. If Kubiak is as good as coach as everyone thinks, he should be able to do that.

I probably would take Landry, but Peterson would be very tempting. But, you can get great value at the RB position in later rounds if the scouting is done properly.

I agree. I hope we don't waste the #8 pick on bq. We have toooooo many issues on this team that he can't begin address.
sixfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

That is actually a very good question. I think we can't really go wrong any of those guys. I believe Quinn will be successful in the NFL...how successful is almost a unanswerable question. Landry looks like he can add a demension to our offense that we have never had and are desperately lacking. Peterson will also bolster a running attack of ours that has been struggling. I think you take Peterson or Quinn over Landry if they are available though. I would take Quinn because we have already spent money on what is supposed to be a top running back this offseason.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson, Quinn, Landry.

I think if we really need a Free Safety, we can get a nice one in the second.
Old 03-20-2007   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bro....go to YouTube.com.

Look up Brady Quinn and watch some highlights and watch how he moves in the pocket. Look up David Carr and watch some highlights and watch how he lacks movement in the pocket. That in itself is a huge difference in the way they play. Also watch where BQ throws the ball (all over the field)...then watch David Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Peterson, Quinn, Landry.

Oh it is not an IF my friend...it is a desperate need of ours.
Old 03-20-2007   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Bro....go to YouTube.com.

Look up Brady Quinn and watch some highlights and watch how he moves in the pocket. Look up David Carr and watch some highlights and watch how he lacks movement in the pocket. That in itself is a huge difference in the way they play. Also watch where BQ throws the ball (all over the field)...then watch David Carr.

Just because a guy has great talent, doesn't mean he fits your team or scheme.

As for Quinn, I don't see anything different than what is out there every year. There is nothing special or unique about him. Bottom line, he couldn't carry Notre Dame, and I don't see how he can carry the Texans.

The Texans have so many holes to fill, it is ridiculous! I think it is more of a priority right for the their 1st pick to start immediately than carry a clipboard right now.

The Texans have to get to .500 next year, and I don't see how Brady Quinn factors into that equation.

If the Texans had a more well rounded club, I would be on the fence with Quinn.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #13
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

1. Quinn
2. AP
3. Landry

Quarterback is the most important position on the field... Carr has talent, he is just mentally shocked... but adding Adrian Peterson, Ahman Green, Ron Danye to get our running game going, a healthy o line, maybe he can flourish. We would be stacked with talent on offense. And for those that think Sage is our answer at quarterback, thats if yall wanna be 4-0 in the preseason, and be 2-14 in the regular season. Sage is decent... but I dont think he has enough talent to be an effective starter.

Having Quinn come into this locker room, would be very positive. Your locker room is down because all they hear is about Vince Young, well guess what, now we have Brady Quinn, he is motivated, and he will want to beat the crap out of the texans and will do everything in his power to make sure it happens. Watch the USC game two years ago, watch his latest LSU game, brady quinn was motivated and didn't quit, he put up 4+ touchdowns in both games and he was competing for all 4 quarters, he didn't make excuses and didn't care that his defense sucked, his protection was bad, and at times receivers were off their routes. He took responsibility. Quinn would come in, respect all the texans players for who they are, but also let them know that its time to shutup, and produce, because we are no longer an expansion team, and we aren't going to take losses like we have in the past. Let me tell you, me being a football player, having a kid like that come in here, motivate me to get my crap together.

Laron Landry would help us out as well... he is a bigger need than running back, and with us having carr and sage, at quarterback as well, but safety doesn't have a big as effect as quarterback or running back in a game. If AP and BQ are gone, I will not have a problem with us drafting Landry. He will lay big hits, make some big plays, and add a lot of talent and take away big plays (killed us against the bills) and be able to lock down that field in the 4th quarter when we are trying to keep a slim lead.
Old 03-20-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Levi Brown . fix the GD offensive line.
Old 03-20-2007   #15
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

Yeah...I don't know why I said "if". We SHOULD take a FS in the second if we go with Quinn or Peterson first.
Old 03-20-2007   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Just because a guy has great talent, doesn't mean he fits your team or scheme.

As for Quinn, I don't see anything different than what is out there every year. There is nothing special or unique about him. Bottom line, he couldn't carry Notre Dame, and I don't see how he can carry the Texans.

The Texans have so many holes to fill, it is ridiculous! I think it is more of priority right for the their 1st pick to start immediately.

The Texans have to get to .500 next year, and I don't see how Brady Quinn factors into that equation.

If the Texans had a more well rounded club, I would be on the fence with Quinn.
The thing that is special about Brady Quinn is his leadership. Give him a couple years in the league and he will be greatly respected. David Carr has 0 respect. Respect for our QB helps in acquiring free agents and it also makes our players play at a higher level.

We do have alot of holes to fill and QB is one of them...regardless if you believe it or not. Having a QB that the team believes in and believes will be involved in the future of the team is very important. The team has got to look at Carr like he is a temporary QB for them.
Old 03-20-2007   #17
real

Quinn.

Landry's not even a serious option in this scenario.

We have Dayne, Green and a couple young guys in Taylor, Gado, and Lundy...

In the right system with the right talent around him, Quinn is going to put up STUPID numbers and pick up MAD wins...
Old 03-20-2007   #18
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Peterson, Quinn, Landry.

Your avatar would make a great LB addition.

Give me Ken Tate!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #19
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Peterson....and it's not even close.
Old 03-20-2007   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson, Quinn, Landry.

Peterson- I'm actually fine w/ our RB situation for next season, But Peterson would be better than all of them and our franchise back. It would add a huge spark to our offense and more respect for our club quite frankly. i'd rather have mario and peterson than reggie and anderson.

Quinn-I think Kubiak really likes this guy. He has the leadership qualities one looks for in a QB. Everything about his game looks like he'd be a good fit for our team, imo. If our o-line gets better and protects him...we'll be good. ND's record doesn't bother me...Quinn did a lot in the games..even if they did lose some of them...can't fault everything on him just because you've heard he's DC II on the radio.

Landry-I love the kid. He's my pick for the Texans..hoping that this situation doesn't come true...Of all the guys we have somewhat of a chance falling to us..peterson is my #1...Landry is my next guy...but with Quinn on the board we'd take BQ over LL. I want Landry to be a texan though.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read