Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-20-2007   #1
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Default Vikings Draft Move

I was thinking the other day, lets say the draft goes like this:

1. Jamarcus Russel
2. Joe Thomas
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Calvin Johnson
5. Gaines Adams
6. Jamaal Charles
7. Vikings on the Clock

Vikings need a qb, but also need to address a lot more positions. Vikings trade 7th pick for Texans 8th pick, plus David Carr. Vikings also give up a 5th.

Good move for the Vikings because they get:

QB: David Carr
WR: Ted Ginn or Safety Laron Landry

Texans get:
Freed away from Carr and his cap space
Brady Quinn
a 5th round draft choice

possible?
Old 03-20-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vikings Draft Move

the vikings DON'T need a QB.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

let's also look at history. how many times has a QB been selected in the 2nd round or higher one year, then another QB drafted in the first by the same team?

the colts took art schichter No. 4 overall the year before they took elway No. 1 overall. the intention was to trade elway.

the cowboys took steve walsh No. 1 in the 1989 supplemental draft after taking aikman No. 1 overall in the regular draft that same year. i think the extenuating circumstances speak for themselves seeing as how walsh played for years under jimmy johnson at The U and johnson didn't realize that walsh would be declaring for the draft when he took aikman.

and it's more than 30 years ago, but the steelers took terry hanratty in the 2nd the year before they took terry bradshaw No. 1 overall.

it'd be pretty unprecedented. one thing these guys all have in common: lots of rings (9 between them), all 3 in the hall of fame, all 3 taken no. 1 overall. do the vikings feel quinn can be that guy?

Last edited by kastofsna; 03-20-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2007   #4
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I was thinking the other day, lets say the draft goes like this:

1. Jamarcus Russel
2. Joe Thomas
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Calvin Johnson
5. Gaines Adams
6. Jamaal Charles
7. Vikings on the Clock

Vikings need a qb, but also need to address a lot more positions. Vikings trade 7th pick for Texans 8th pick, plus David Carr. Vikings also give up a 5th.

Good move for the Vikings because they get:

QB: David Carr
WR: Ted Ginn or Safety Laron Landry

Texans get:
Freed away from Carr and his cap space
Brady Quinn
a 5th round draft choice

possible?
I lilke it. Do you think it would work? I think if something is going to go down it will go down on draft day
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft day is the most logical for anything to get done.

The Vikings have only drafted 2 QBs in the first round, 1977 Tommy Kramer and in 1999 Daunte Coulpepper. So the odds of them taking a QB in the first round the year after taking one in the second round the previous year is pretty slim, if non-exsistant.

Despite the signing the previous year of Chester Taylor, RB is one need the Vikings have but at number 7 forget it. Like most teams draft in the top 10 DB and the DL are also big needs. Also, they do not have a big threat at WR because of recent issues of WR they have drafted.

With Anderson, Branch or Landry all or at least two of them being there I do not see them dropping and or taking on another QB and also giving away any picks.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #6
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
the vikings DON'T need a QB.
Actually, IMO it is an area they believe to be a need.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #7
Xman
Veteran

The Vikings fan board has a HUGE "trade up for CJ" posting.
Follwed by people wanting trade down for a different WR (or a RT like Brown).
There are a few that say take the best DL or Landry and even a few that say take Quinn or Peterson (even though it duplicates talent with better talent).

The Wash fan board seems to believe it will be DE (adams) or a trade down. I thnk Adams should be house shopping there.

If I were Minny - I would work out a deal for CJ if I could. If Oakland passed on him, I would have a deal in place with Detroit where I traded the 1st, 2nd and 3rd for CJ (could also offer a 1st and 2nd to TB if CJ slips but I think TB would want him themselves).
If Minny cant get CJ and can't trade down, then I see them taking a DL or Landry. But, I think they will trade down (ATL might want to jump in front of us for Landry or a DE - Buff or GB would jump for AD - Miami might even move up for a certain player).
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2007   #8
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleone View Post
Actually, IMO it is an area they believe to be a need.
They really messed up by releasing Brad Johnson, and their other QB isn't that good. Brad Johnson has the curse of being really really boring, but he gets the job done. He took the Bucs to the superbowl then he was released. He also worked miracles after Culpepper got hurt 2 years ago. I really don't get why he can't keep his job.
Old 03-20-2007   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

because Jackson is their QB of the future.
Old 03-20-2007   #10
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehorn25 View Post
They really messed up by releasing Brad Johnson, and their other QB isn't that good. Brad Johnson has the curse of being really really boring, but he gets the job done. He took the Bucs to the superbowl then he was released. He also worked miracles after Culpepper got hurt 2 years ago. I really don't get why he can't keep his job.
Worked miracles? I would say he played solid but not spectacular. If Jackson was good enough to beat out Johnson during the season what makes you think he wouldn't during TC? Bollinger is a capable backup. It als0 looked like last season the Offense was definately more geared towards the running game and wasn't asking a whole lot from the QB. Why not start letting your future QB get some PT instead of keeping the aging veteran starter?
Old 03-20-2007   #11
real

Quote:
and their other QB isn't that good.
You haven't watched him play have you ?
Old 03-20-2007   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

considering he termed him "their other QB" i doubt it.
Old 03-20-2007   #13
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
You haven't watched him play have you ?
No, I have not, and likewise I have not been able to see a lot of the Texans. From what I have heard from various sources, He was not that great. I don't know much about him myself. Brad Johnson is a very solid Veteran QB IMO, and I have seen Johnson play.
Old 03-20-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, I have not, and likewise I have not been able to see a lot of the Texans. From what I have heard from various sources, He was not that great. I don't know much about him myself. Brad Johnson is a very solid Veteran QB IMO, and I have seen Johnson play.
Yes he is a solid QB, but when you make a transition from one QB to the next most teams do not kep the supplanted QB. It keeps the younger QB looking over his shoulder and not making as much progress if you have a vetren that is there as the back-up not the previous starter.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #15
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jamaal Charles going 6th overall????

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #16
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
Worked miracles? I would say he played solid but not spectacular. If Jackson was good enough to beat out Johnson during the season what makes you think he wouldn't during TC? Bollinger is a capable backup. It als0 looked like last season the Offense was definately more geared towards the running game and wasn't asking a whole lot from the QB. Why not start letting your future QB get some PT instead of keeping the aging veteran starter?
He worked miracles compared to what Culpepper had been doing for several years of work. If your offense is geared to the run, you have to have a QB who will not give the ball away, and that is Brad Johnson's specialty.
Old 03-20-2007   #17
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Jamaal Charles going 6th overall????
Does he mean Jamaal Charles RB at Texas or Jamaal Anderson DE at Arkansas, or some other guy like that.
Old 03-20-2007   #18
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Does he mean Jamaal Charles RB at Texas or Jamaal Anderson DE at Arkansas, or some other guy like that.
thats what I was wondering
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #19
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jamaal anderson i buy...jamaal charles, not so much

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #20
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Jamaal anderson i buy...jamaal charles, not so much
That is who I thought he meant, but you never can be too sure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read