Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2007   #1
TXurias
Rookie

Default Jerome Mathis

Does anyone know what's his story? Will he be playing WR for us next year?
TXurias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #2
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Jerome Mathis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXurias View Post
Does anyone know what's his story? Will he be playing WR for us next year?

his strength is not at WR, but as KR...he is blazing fast and has ability to make people miss...whether he recovers well enough to play for Texans in 2007 remains to be seen
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #3
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

When healthy, he's a huge asset. He came out of nowhere 2 seasons ago and lit it up. He was the best part of the 2-14 season IMO.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
When healthy, he's a huge asset. He came out of nowhere 2 seasons ago and lit it up. He was the best part of the 2-14 season IMO.
I kinda thought Mario and Demeco were the best things to come from the 2-14 season...but that's just my opinion...
Old 03-19-2007   #5
Daonly
Veteran

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

jerome mathis is a huge asset to this team when he's healthy...personally i think if he can stay healthy he might turn into something more than just a kick returner...the has the potential to be a pretty darn good deep threat at WR...something we really don't have yet...also if we used him on the screen passes with his vision and speed he could turn some 5 yd gains into 30+ yd touchdowns
Old 03-19-2007   #7
TXurias
Rookie

I'm a big fan of Mathis and hope he's healthy for next year. Do you know what's bothering him now? Is it his ankle? I think he could be a huge relief for Dre and we can focus on taking Landry in the first and take best OL in 2nd or Kevin Kolb.
TXurias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2007   #8
HOOK'EM
Veteran

[quote=DocBar;631512]I kinda thought Mario and Demeco were the best things to come from the 2-14 season...but that's

Mario and Demeco were not here during the 2-14 season!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #9
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

but we got them because of that 2-14 season
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=HOOK'EM;631524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I kinda thought Mario and Demeco were the best things to come from the 2-14 season...but that's

Mario and Demeco were not here during the 2-14 season!

Of course they weren't. The 2-14 season resulted in the high draft picks that netted them and that's what he means.
Old 03-20-2007   #11
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

[quote=TXurias;631521]I'm a big fan of Mathis and hope he's healthy for next year. Do you know what's bothering him now? Is it his ankle? I think he could be a huge relief for Dre...QUOTE]

jerome like many other speedsters was hampered by a hamstring problem during the season and he was recovering from his motorcycle accident during pre-season
Old 03-20-2007   #12
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think when Kubes stated he does not want to depend on anyone injuried, Spencer and Mathis were the people he was refering to. I do think this coaching staff can turn him into a wr but I don't see him being counted on and he will have to fight for a spot. Either through the draft or a trade another speed wr will be added. He is about as unproven as it gets, from both a health and receiving stand point.
Old 03-20-2007   #13
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
jerome mathis is a huge asset to this team when he's healthy...personally i think if he can stay healthy he might turn into something more than just a kick returner...the has the potential to be a pretty darn good deep threat at WR...something we really don't have yet...also if we used him on the screen passes with his vision and speed he could turn some 5 yd gains into 30+ yd touchdowns
I think you have a good point about getting him in space, instead of just deep routes, something they never did in 05. I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but that's what bothers me about Ginn as a pick (in the first round). He has some good moves, but he's not human joystick shifty like Hall, Bush, or Hester. If you plan on using Ginn like that, then why not just expand Mathis' role? Both guys need development as WR's (hands, route running). I guess one thing Ginn has on him is that he doesn't have Mathis' injury history, but I really hope they haven't given up on Mathis as a WR.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
I think you have a good point about getting him in space, instead of just deep routes, something they never did in 05. I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but that's what bothers me about Ginn as a pick (in the first round). He has some good moves, but he's not human joystick shifty like Hall, Bush, or Hester. If you plan on using Ginn like that, then why not just expand Mathis' role? Both guys need development as WR's (hands, route running). I guess one thing Ginn has on him is that he doesn't have Mathis' injury history, but I really hope they haven't given up on Mathis as a WR.
not trying to turn this into a draft thread either but...Ginn hasn't run since the national championship game when he injured his ankle....could turn into a long term injury of constantly getting aggravated.

i dont think mathis runs very crisp routes...but using him in some screen passes would be awesome, i would love to watch that. i can also see some sweet 'fake' screens that throw the defense off and we get the ball to andre on the other side of the field...or our RB runs for a big gain the opposite side as well....as team see when mathis is in the game..it probably means its a short quick pass to him...he could be our decoy but for cheaper..lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #15
t_flare
Veteran

he's not a WR... he cant run routes and he has below average hands.. If he couldnt beat out Derrick Armstrong or Gaffney then whats makes you think he is better than Kevin Walters?

He is a Daunte Hall... KR only...WR in 5 WR set only where he would just run straight.
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #16
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonly View Post
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
this is by far the best post in this thread...

i applaud you, good sir...
Old 03-20-2007   #17
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_flare View Post
he's not a WR... he cant run routes and he has below average hands.. If he couldnt beat out Derrick Armstrong or Gaffney then whats makes you think he is better than Kevin Walters?

He is a Daunte Hall... KR only...WR in 5 WR set only where he would just run straight.
You may be right in the end, but how many receivers are NFL-ready after one year? It seems very few take off in their rookie season. He came from a small school. He may not have had the best coaching (not that big schools always prepare their kids well). He may have relied on his speed in the past to beat lesser competition and thus become sloppy with his route running. Is he coachable? I don't know. But I don't want to see him turn into another wasted draft pick just because the coaching staff won't or can't develop him.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis may return a few kickoffs when he is healthy. He thinks he's a football player who runs track, but he's really a track man playing football. Durability wise, that's a big difference.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #19
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_flare View Post

...good point! As I recall, Kubiak was not too happy about Mathis's 'prima donna' attitude that he could do what he wanted because he was all-pro his first year. I hope he recovers like Winslow and not Edwards from his injuries...
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read