Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-19-2007   #1
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Vinny, 49ers Fans

A few weeks ago I was listening to the radio and one of the guys (I can't recall who, I think it might have been Matt or Adam) were speaking about the Texans' cuts. Apparently whoever it was speaking is a 49ers fans and said something along the lines that it appears the Texans are taking a page out of the book of the 49ers and conceding a couple of years to purge bad contracts and build through the draft in order to sign some big names when the cap is freed up.

Anyone willing to provide a synopsis of the past few offseasons for the 49ers and how you feel it compares to what Houston has done so far since Kubiak and, more recently, Rick Smith have been hired?
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vinny, 49ers Fans

I'm not real sure but I think that is exactly what we're doing. We are going to be getting a lot of great players in the draft, our cap situation will get better..already has, and we'll be able to sign a big FA when we don't have many holes at all.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEROtheZERO View Post
A few weeks ago I was listening to the radio and one of the guys (I can't recall who, I think it might have been Matt or Adam) were speaking about the Texans' cuts. Apparently whoever it was speaking is a 49ers fans and said something along the lines that it appears the Texans are taking a page out of the book of the 49ers and conceding a couple of years to purge bad contracts and build through the draft in order to sign some big names when the cap is freed up.

Anyone willing to provide a synopsis of the past few offseasons for the 49ers and how you feel it compares to what Houston has done so far since Kubiak and, more recently, Rick Smith have been hired?

I can't provide details on the 49ers.... but from afar it looks as though thats exactly what they did. As for us.... restructuring, cutting, not making any big bonehead moves, declaring that we wont trade away any draft picks, forecasting over 30 million free to spend next year,etc,etc... means we are doing exactly as the fan spoke of. Its pretty clear to me anyway.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i don't know how many more seasons i'll be able to wait.
Old 03-19-2007   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
i don't know how many more seasons i'll be able to wait.
before?
Old 03-19-2007   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
before?
a winning season.
Old 03-19-2007   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
a winning season.
well seeing how Blanda made 26 seasons, I figure the maximum waiting period is around 2029.

But then again, that's about the time a giant rock from the outer edge of the solar system is going to plow in the planet ending football for at least a couple hundred more years.
Old 03-19-2007   #8
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I have said before that what Kubiak is doing in Houston kind of reminds me of what Mike Nolan and Scott McCloughan are doing in San Francisco. Although I don't know exactly how accurate that assessment is considering I don't know that much about the Texans.

Anyway, Terry Donahue, our GM before Mike Nolan was hired, was just awful. We had poor drafts under him, and he had us in an awful cap situation. He was fired along with Dennis Erickson after the 2004 season.

Mike Nolan was then hired and given full autonomy. No GM to but heads with or anything really, he pretty much makes all the decisions that involve the 49ers organization. After he was hired he brought in a new coaching staff and replaced the old front office with a new one. There were a few incumbents in the FO and coaching staff who remained though. Anyway, Mike Nolan brought in Scott McCloughan (As Vice President of Player Personnel), who prior to getting the job was Seattle's director of college scouting, to pretty much come up with a plan on how to how to build the 49ers organization.

As for their philosophy, they are strong believers in building through the draft. They have done an excellent job unloading marginal players for extra draft picks. Jamie Winborn, Tim Rattay, Brandon Lloyd, and Kevan Barlow were all traded for picks. I might have forgot some. In fact, we also traded Cody Pickett to you guys a conditional draft pick. Obviously he didn't make the team though. In addition, we are expecting to get 2 compensatory picks this draft for Andre Carter and Julian Peterson.

Another thing to note is that they don't like to bring in older free agents. We have signed guys like Larry Allen, and Walt Harris though, to teach some of the younger guys in some nuances of the game and display veteran leadership, but that is pretty much the sole purpose of it. We very rarely bring in older guys. Also, they like to try and go after healthy guys, and not so much injury prone ones.

Overall, Mike Nolan and Scott McCloughan have done a superb job of getting is in a healthy cap situation as well as weeding out players they don't want and actually getting something in return. I'm pumped because the draft is what Nolan and McCloughan really put a lot of work into, and we have an expected 8 picks in the first 4 rounds! I'm looking forward to April 28th!

Last edited by SF49erFaithful; 03-19-2007 at 11:24 PM.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
a winning season.
You said you dont know how many seasons.... my question meant, if we dont get there before then.... then what? I personally think we are there the year after next.
Old 03-19-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like what the 49'ers are doing and think they will be winning their division on a constant basis after about the '08 season. I really hope they draft Patrick Willis too.

for you 49er fans here, who are you're teams favorites for the first round? do you think LB Willis is a good possibility?

I only say this because SanFran is slowly becoming one of my favorite teams in the NFC and think they have a better chance of playing for the playoffs more consistently than buffalo, st. louis, and even carolina which all draft right behind them and where willis might end up.
Old 03-19-2007   #11
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I really like what the 49'ers are doing and think they will be winning their division on a constant basis after about the '08 season. I really hope they draft Patrick Willis too.

for you 49er fans here, who are you're teams favorites for the first round? do you think LB Willis is a good possibility?

I only say this because SanFran is slowly becoming one of my favorite teams in the NFC and think they have a better chance of playing for the playoffs more consistently than buffalo, st. louis, and even carolina which all draft right behind them and where willis might end up.
I think Patrick Willis is certianly a possibility, and Nolan along with Singletary got to coach him first-hand at the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't say he is the most likely though. I think Adam Carriker, Amobi Okoye, and Patrick Willis will all draw strong consideration. Maybe even a guy like Robert Meachem could be the pick. Heck, if Branch or Levi Brown slip they could be possibilities. Too be honest it is hard to say. Personally, I think Okoye or Carriker would be the best pick for us at #11.
Old 03-19-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful View Post
I think Patrick Willis is certianly a possibility, and Nolan along with Singletary got to coach him first-hand at the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't say he is the most likely though. I think Adam Carriker, Amobi Okoye, and Patrick Willis will all draw strong consideration. Maybe even a guy like Robert Meachem could be the pick. Heck, if Branch or Levi Brown slip they could be possibilities. Too be honest it is hard to say. Personally, I think Okoye or Carriker would be the best pick for us at #11.
Wow, both would be great picks too. hopefully nolan and him coaching willis at the senior bowl tips the scales. He said he was more impressed with patrick willis this year than demeco ryans last year...or something along those lines.
Old 03-19-2007   #13
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Wow, both would be great picks too. hopefully nolan and him coaching willis at the senior bowl tips the scales. He said he was more impressed with patrick willis this year than demeco ryans last year...or something along those lines.
Yeah, I'm a fan of Willis. I'm not sure how much I'd like the pick though. I question how well he'd fit into our 3-4 scheme...I also prefer defensive line because our d-line as it is now is amongst the worst in the NFL.
Old 03-20-2007   #14
bluestars87
Rookie

I guess I like Robert Meachem or Patrick Willis as our first round draft pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read