Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-19-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Where would you like the Texans to take a CB?

Would you like the Texans to grab one of the top tier corners in Hall/Reevis early or would you prefer we filled other wholes in the first round and tried to get an A.J. Davis/Kenny Irons type in the 2nd or 3rd round?

If Chris Houston was at 39 I think I would take him if Kalil wasn't waiting there.
Old 03-19-2007   #2
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Re: Where would you like the Texans to take a CB?

i want landry.....then hughes....then jason hill....so i say second rd with a fs in the 1st....unless we can trade down some.....but that is for another thread....lol
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #3
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Depending on whomelse is around at #8 (namely Peterson and perhaps Quinn), I'd be fine with Leon Hall.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #4
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingandre View Post
i want landry.....then hughes....then jason hill....so i say second rd with a fs in the 1st....unless we can trade down some.....but that is for another thread....lol
i read on zeirlein's blog that hughes' height and speed render him to the Cover 2 realm.
Old 03-19-2007   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we sign Ken Hamlin in FA, I'd go with Hall our Revis in the 1st and get our secondary doneskie. (hopefully in a small trade down)
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #6
amazingandre
All Pro

well......i disagree......he imo is the best corner in the draft....his 40 time was expected to be slower. but his game speed is quicker. he is very smart and knows the game well. he is similar to nathan vasher who also slid down becuz of his speed. yet he is a great cb....esp if ur only a number 2 corner....and dont forget before his 40 he was expected to go mid-late 1st round. i think its a steal in the 2nd jmo
Old 03-19-2007   #7
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

I would really like LaRon in the 1st, and then when the 2nd round rolls around, Marcus McCauley should be our pick (or Aaron Ross, Eric Wright). If we went WR for the 2nd pick (Sidney Rice), I wouldn't mind Josh Wilson at the 3rd round. But otherwise, we need to draft a FS, CB, QB, & WR in that order, IMO. Secondary is the biggest weakness on this team, and with Dunta playing with LaRon and McCauley, it could be a strength. Chris Houston (as well as Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis) will definitely be gone in the 1st round. If we sign Hamlin, which at this point definitely sounds slim, I think I would trade down to get Revis or maybe Hall.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2007   #8
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

3rd- Daymeion Hughes
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #9
amazingandre
All Pro

i dont think he lasts that long.....if we pass on him in the 2nd hell be gone before we go again in the third!!!!jmo
Old 03-19-2007   #10
htownfoozball
Veteran

we play alot of man to man, so hughes is out. would he have kept up with lee evans to stop those 2 bombs? probably not.

david irons in the 3rd. we need to address the pass rush in the 2nd because the depth at DE is pretty thin. if we do take landry, we shouldnt have to pick FS/CB in back to back rounds unless a top guy like Houston or Revis falls. Taking an elite free safety allows us to focus on other positions in the early rounds.

1 Landry FS
2 Abiamiri DE
3 Irons CB
4 Soliai DT
5 Robinson WR
6 Henderson/Hall/Barbre/Frye OT
7 Medlock K
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #11
amazingandre
All Pro

ok but i think taking another de is useless........we have plenty of guys who can get the job done....the entire we need another fs and number 2 cb....maybe hughes doesnt keep up with evans but guess what a true fs would have been deep enough to not allow either throi still say hughes in round two....and whats with all this he is ONLY a zone guy??????how do any of you know? im sure he isnt one of the better corners in this draft only being able to cover in zone...maybe he is at his best in zone but surely he isnt a PURE ZONE GUY......we could get landry, hughes, jason hill a wr, and kareem brown a dt....all 4 potential starters and helps each side of the ball tramendously!!!!
Old 03-19-2007   #12
htownfoozball
Veteran

how do you know he's NOT just a pure zone guy?
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Before everyone was jumping on Houston's bandwagon, I was hoping for him in the second. That notion is gone, and if it plays out, I wouldn't be too opposed to him at 8. Revis didn't have a great combine compared to others, and is sliding a bit. I still don't think he slides by NYG or PIT, but he is actually the better cover corner instead of Houston. Both are great man guys, but Revis is getting overlooked. Revis returns punts very well also. If he slides, I jump on him in the second. The other guy I fancy is Josh Wilson from Maryland. He is a bit undersized, but is very aggressive and will play on the man. He is fearless and will go for the ball. He is my 3rd round CB if we haven't addressed it by then.

The CB's I think will help this team the most, both now and down the road are, in this order:

1. Houston
2. Revis
3. Wilson
Old 03-20-2007   #14
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

The CBs I would take in each round:
1. Hall, Revis, or Houston (only after a trade down)
2. Ross, McCauley
3. Irons, Wright, Hughes, or Wilson

I would prefer we take one in the 2nd or 3rd since there is a good chance that we could still get a player that would be an upgrade over what we already have.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #15
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
The CBs I would take in each round:
1. Hall, Revis, or Houston (only after a trade down)
2. Ross, McCauley
3. Irons, Wright, Hughes, or Wilson
4. Bennett
I would prefer we take one in the 2nd or 3rd since there is a good chance that we could still get a player that would be an upgrade over what we already have.
Bennett doesn't intercept a lot of passes, but he knocks the ball away. He also isn't extremely fast, I don't know the exact numbers though. Take a look at some lesser names like Bennett.
Gamehorn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

bennett is definitely a 2nd-round possibility.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #17
real

I'd like to get a corner in the 2nd, but if not then in the third...
Old 03-20-2007   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've liked Revis back before the mocksters noticed him as a top prospect. I'd love to have him here and wouldn't mind moving back in the draft to select him. It's hard to find a top starter quality CB after the first round, so if we don't take a corner early, we are likely picking up a guy who will give us nothing much more than Faggins....a nickel.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #19
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
bennett is definitely a 2nd-round possibility.
I haven't heard much about him for some time, and I personally think that he could be a great #2 CB, and he could be an ok #1 CB. He isn't very fast, so that is why I thought that he would fall to the 3rd or 4th.
Gamehorn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #20
cred
Rookie

I say trade back in the 1st and get Revis, as well as a bonus 2nd or 3rd round pick. With the second round pick, I would choose Merriwether at FS or Staley at LT, possibly both depending on what if we are able to get an extra 2nd round pick. In the 3rd we take Weddle at FS if we choose Staley at LT in the second. I would also take Kareem Brown DT in the 4th. If this was to fall like this I think this would be a very good draft.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read