Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2007   #1
ivenovember
Rookie

Default Texans Draft Mistakes

Ok here's the deal, Texans aren't exactly the best drafters but its ok.

Here are some players drafted right after the Texans' picks.

2002:
1st round, David Carr 1 pick later Julius Peppers was drafted.
2003:
3rd round, Antwan Peek 1 pick later Lance Briggs.
6th round, Drew Hendson 6 picks later Cato June
2004:
1st round, Dunta Robinson 1 pick later Roethlisberger and 4 picks after that Michael Clayton (not to bad though cause i guess we needed a CB)
2005:
1st round, Travis Johnson 4 picks later Marcus Spears
2006:
I won't mention the 1st round pick
2nd round DeMeco Ryan was our best pick ever
7th round, David Anderson 1 pick later NO selects Marques Colston.

I hope nothing like this happens this year, and i think we're finally headed in a better direction.
Old 03-19-2007   #2
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Draft Mistakes

Aside from Colston, our last draft was flawless. I'd still take Mario over Reggie or Vince today.

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #3
12Gage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton
co-sign
12Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=29479

talk about mistakes

can take Peek off of the bolded list too

DD or DW ...bad luck..he might not play again
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #5
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Aside from Colston, our last draft was flawless. I'd still take Mario over Reggie or Vince today.

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton
every team except for the Saints missed on Colston also. i can count at least 3 possible Pro-Bowlers out of that group (Williams-Ryans-Daniels) plus Spencer who hopefully will get back healthy.
Old 03-19-2007   #6
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivenovember View Post
2005:
1st round, Travis Johnson 4 picks later Marcus Spears
I know your picks are the ones made after the Texans but this one will always be one of the worst mistakes for this franchise. Trade 1st rd picks with the Saints and they pick up Pro Bowl OT Jammal Brown.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #7
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton
Our last draft was not flawless in my opinion.

One player made the draft class of 2007.

But, then again, 2 to 3 players make a team championship quality.

People sing the praises of Kubiak, but we still have the same holes that were there last year. And it seems very clear they are not committed to fixing the biggest problem. If you don't fix that problem, it won't matter what this draft class is like.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2007   #8
ivenovember
Rookie

I actually think our last year's draft was actually the besty draft we've had BY FAR.
If you think Mario Williams was the best pick or not thats up for debate.
DeMeco Ryans was our best pick in a draft ever.
Spencer and Winston are both very solid O-linmen.
Owen Daniels is a great player and you can see that his 352 yds and 5 tds shows that he can be a good TE for us.
Lundy is a great RB, a back up for now but could be a great starter one day.
The only other pick is 7th rounder David Anderson who is still in development.
Old 03-19-2007   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivenovember View Post
I actually think our last year's draft was actually the besty draft we've had BY FAR.
If you think Mario Williams was the best pick or not thats up for debate.
DeMeco Ryans was our best pick in a draft ever.
Spencer and Winston are both very solid O-linmen.
Owen Daniels is a great player and you can see that his 352 yds and 5 tds shows that he can be a good TE for us.
Lundy is a great RB, a back up for now but could be a great starter one day.
The only other pick is 7th rounder David Anderson who is still in development.
IMO, Mario will make a lot of people go on a crow diet before his career is over; Demeco ROCKS PERIOD;Spencer and Winston showed promise but are far from being "very solid linemen"; Owen Daniels definitely has potential; Lundy didn't do a blasted thing once preseason was over; last, David who???
Are you really counting on a 7th rouder?? Guys like that RARELY make big contributions. That's what made Colston such a gem.
This team has made some SERIOUS reaches in previous drafts, especially under CC/DC. They always seemed to be looking for that sleeper that would make them look like (supervillian laugh) SUPER GENIUSES and generally ended up looking like stupid fools instead. DW is about their biggest 2nd day find. Hard to decide between Babin and T. Johnson(or our &%$^& 2nd round pick the Raiders got from us) as the biggest 1st day bust. The '06 draft gives me a lot of hope for the future. Yeah, it seems like we have the same old holes to fill, but ya can't erase 4 years of bad drafts with one good one. I'll leave FA out for now and save it for another rant.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Can we also add drafting Tony Hollings in the 2nd round of the Supplimental draft to the list?
Old 03-19-2007   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Can we also add drafting Tony Hollings in the 2nd round of the Supplimental draft to the list?
Dang...you had to go and remind me!!!!!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #12
t_flare
Veteran

Drew Henson turn from 6th round to 3rd round.. how bout

Seth Wand - 3rd Round
Jabar Gaffney- 2nd Round
J. Wells - 4th Round
Bennie Joppru - 2nd round
Vernand Morency- 3rd

7th round, David Anderson 1 pick later NO selects Marques Colston.

Yea so Texans were the only stupid team huh...
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Surprised no one's mentioned boselli.
Old 03-19-2007   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
Surprised no one's mentioned boselli.
oh it is mentioned

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36965
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #15
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

hindsight is always 20/20.

Yes some of those we all feel like we could or should have seen coming. I've never been a fan of drafting a qb first to a new franchise but that's just me.

Beyond that we really had no clue of how most of those picks would turn out.
Old 03-19-2007   #16
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:

Dunta>Big Ben + Clayton
You, sir, are profoundly challenged, pickwise.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #17
Dime
Hall of Fame

I understand what you are saying but how is this statement fair to the current management. The former management was sorry and was replaced. Kub and Rick Smith have done a great job last year, and I have faith in them this year.
Old 03-19-2007   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't complain too much about the Texans not drafting Marques Colston. 32 teams passed on him 6 times. The Saints probably weren't expecting him to be the player that he is. Sometimes you strike gold in those late rounds but you aren't expecting huge contributors to your team in the 6th and 7th round. I would focus more on the draft mistakes in rounds 1-4.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #19
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Does trading a 2nd and a 3rd for Phillip Buchanon count as a draft mistake? Trading up for Babin was stupid too, that counts. It also sucks not having mutiple picks in certain rounds like the first few drafts. We missed out in some of those picks too. I mean who's around from the 1st 2 drafts? Pitts, Carr, Johnson, Weary, is that it? Dominick Williams? Terrible drafts IMO except for AJ and Pitts maybe Weary, the others are wastes IMO.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #20
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
You, sir, are profoundly challenged, pickwise.
Eat me.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read