Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-19-2007   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Levi Brown vs. Joe Staley

this is from a very knowledgable poster, Boomer, on the FinHeaven board. i would say everything he said, but he knows more than me. he knows what he's talking about, read it:

"Brown is the better player, Staley has the bigger upside. But to be honest, both have the great intangibles that you're looking for.

You know what you're getting with Levi; 4 year starter at a top school, great size, good strength, tough as nails, good punch, can move defenders in the run game, takes good angles, good kick slide, mature, serious, loves the game and wants to be the best that he can be. He'll play through pain and go that extra mile for the team. Look at him - he's huge with the big wingspan, the big bubble and the thick frame. You're not moving this cat off the ball. He has some issues with technique which can get a little flabby at times and you'll see him bend at the waist and he'll be a little inconsistent with his hands. This is especially the case against lesser talent. But I think it's all coachable. And he's a leader of men. You only had to see him tear BranDon Snow a new one in the Minnesota game to know that, after Snow shouted at an assistant coach. Brown ripped him to shreds on the sidelines, telling him that it was utterly unacceptable. Brown talks the talk, but he walks the walk as well and as team captain at PSU, that was classic senior leadership. A pair of scouts in Indy thought that in terms of on field ability, he was as athletic as Joe Thomas when he's switched on. Obviously he's not the same in shorts and a t-shirt, but when the pads are on, different matter. I want to see him improve his technique and ratchet up the consistency, but he's a fine player.

Staley has followed a path similar to Joe Toledo in that he was a tight end who's grown into a LT. He has superior feet....I mean, they're really good, but he has issues with his strength. He doesn't get a really great push at the point of attack and he's raw. But when you see him play, what immediately strikes you is that he has the feet to handle edge rushers in the pros. He too has a good wingspan and uses his hands well, but I think he lacks the physical strength to be a force in year 1. He's a very fine pass protecter in part because he gets off the snap so damn fast and because he understands how his feet should work. His base is solid and he keeps himself well balanced in front of his target man. He can be very aggressive, and whilst he's strong enough, I don't think he's yet strong enough to handle his role at the next level. He doesn't have the mass but he is focused enough to get it. Any time you get a guy as big as he is who can bend and slide as well as he can...... you take note and as one scout said in Indy; "He's not going to let himself fail because of his personality."

A pair of really good kids."
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #2
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77
Default Re: Levi Brown vs. Joe Staley

thats really great but i still don't want him to be a texan
Old 03-19-2007   #3
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
thats really great but i still don't want him to be a texan
And why is that exactly?
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks draft expert, nice read/find pretty much echoes my sentiment as well

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I would go with Staley due to the edge rushers in our division. Brown sound like a real roadgrader and Staley the protect the QB guy.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I would go with Brown. Our offense it based on the ability to run. If we can't get our running game going...we'll lose every game for the most part. Brown can pave the way for Green and Dayne.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I think I would go with Staley due to the edge rushers in our division. Brown sound like a real roadgrader and Staley the protect the QB guy.
Salaam beat them all but LaBoy.... & he shouldn't have been returned to that game after he got hurt.
Old 03-19-2007   #8
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I think thatís a pretty fair assessment of both guys. Heís spot on about Leviís technique. Among the PSU fanbase, the O-line coaches have gotten a lot of criticism about their inability to develop o-line talent. This was the criticism about Brown at the Senior Bowl Ė suboptimal technique, but was coachable and got better during the week.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

during the pre-Senior Bowl interview process, Brown called himself the best tackle in the draft and planned on proving it to the scouts during not only the Senior Bowl week, but also the rest of the offseason. this is a guy who's determined to prove himself. gotta love that.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

We have already debated this some but your insight on Staley actually makes him a better choice IMHO. You need a guy with great footwork and the ability to move. Staley fits the bill for the zone read offense. I grabbed the first source but it still gives the basics

http://www.answers.com/topic/zone-blocking-1

"In a zone blocking scheme, fleet-footedness and athletic ability trump size as desirable qualities in offensive linemen. Coordination and technique matter more than muscle in implementing a successful scheme because defensive linemen are often double-teamed at the point of attack. Creating movement on the defensive line is more important that opening a specific hole in the defense."

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 03-20-2007 at 10:34 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
And he's a leader of men. You only had to see him tear BranDon Snow a new one in the Minnesota game to know that, after Snow shouted at an assistant coach. Brown ripped him to shreds on the sidelines, telling him that it was utterly unacceptable. Brown talks the talk, but he walks the walk as well and as team captain at PSU, that was classic senior leadership.
I've posted this clip a couple of times previously....Brown has some leadership and fire...something we need more of around here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNRxKai1mE

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've posted this clip a couple of times previously....Brown has some leadership and fire...something we need more of around here.

I'll have to watch this when I'm not at work. I think youtube gives me the big stop sign.
Old 03-20-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

nice

I can't really blame people who don't know about this massive tackle prospect but the more you do know the more you would like to see him in a Texans uniform

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read