Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-19-2007   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Top Ten Free Safeties in the NFL??

Well... The NFL Draft is coming. I see many people are getting pretty excited about the possibility of the Houston Texans drafting Laron Landry. Personally, I think that is high for a Safety.

Michael Huff, and Donte Whitner were two safeties drafted in the top ten of 2006, #7 & #8 overall. Anyone know how they did?? Were they "instant" impact??

Huff signed a 5 year deal, $15MM guaranteed. Whitner signed for something under $14MM guaranteed over 5 years.

My Question. Who were the top ten safeties in '06. & how much better were they than our safeties?? Let's say Laron can play at a top ten Safety level... is there that much difference in "production" from the safety position to justify using our #1 overall??

There's a CB that should be available around the #8... There's a RB that might be available at #8, There's a LT, a DE, and a DT who should be available around the #8 position. Maybe even a franchise QB...
Old 03-19-2007   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top Ten Free Safeties in the NFL??

One more thing....

We gave up less passing TDs than Washington, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Dallas, San Fran, Green Bay, Cincy, Tennessee, Seattle, Miami, Detroit, & Carolina.

We gave up less passing ypg than Minnesota, Cincy, Arizona, Atlanta, NYGiants, Tennessee, San Fran, Detroit, Dallas & Washington.
Old 03-19-2007   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Flipped around, that means we gave up more passing yards than 21 teams. FS is in definite need of an upgrade, whether that comes from Landry or a later pick, or someone in house. Of course the argument can be made that if we get another good DE and/or DT the pass rush will improve and the secondary will also look alot better.

I dont have any stats to answer your question with, Im just talking
Old 03-19-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think oakland has the #3 overall defense in the league. how much of that is attributed to huff...i don't know and am not going to speculate...he is also a SS i believe.

our secondary is in desperate need. we HAVE to address either FS or CB on the 1st day of the draft. if faggins stays our #2 cb then we have to get a true FS. if cc is our fs then we have to get a shutdown CB to have opposite dunta.

I'm a big supporter for Landry. there are always pros and cons to any player. Quinn could be a great pick if there because he would be our next franchise QB lol. there are plenty of great players to have at 8...no need to move up.

one arguement for the drafting of Landry is this.

-Our secondary is pretty darn bad.
-Landry is the best FS in the draft. Is good in coverage, very fast, can really hit hard, tackles great, leader in the secondary, and a very smart football player.
-Landry is very fast..plays fast in pads...and blitzes very well. he can disguise his blitzes and get to the qb in a hurry, this would be great against peyton and vince.
-Teams can throw fairly easily against us because they have time to throw and their WR/TE/RB's can get open pretty easily.
-one way to stop that is tighter coverage which we would achieve. the other way is to get more pressure on the qb by the dline.
-this can be achieved and is typically called a coverage sack.
-with the help of landry patrolling the secondary, particularly helping faggins, the qb will have a harder time finding an open player and will have to hold onto the ball a little longer.
-this allows our d-line that extra second or two to put more pressure causing a sack/incompletion/interception. or in other words a bad decision by the qb...a hurry.

I think landry would be a great pick for those reasons. our defense really started coming together as the season progressed and thats a great sign. i think landry would help out a lot...great against the run, great at disguising blitzes to rush the QB, and good in coverage. This would allow each position to do their part and let Dunta finally have someone else good in the secondary. I think Defensive Coordinators dream of a player like this and Offensive Coordinators would have nightmares when gameplanning against us with Landry, Dunta, Demeco, and Mario.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i know what you're saying but most of the best pass defences have great coverage safeties (doesnt really matter about fs/ss..depends on how the teams play them)

ravens-reed
colts-sanders
raiders-huff
bills-whitner
jets-rhodes
eagles-dawkins
etc
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i know what you're saying but most of the best pass defences have great coverage safeties (doesnt really matter about fs/ss..depends on how the teams play them)

ravens-reed
colts-sanders
raiders-huff
bills-whitner
jets-rhodes
eagles-dawkins
etc
Adrian Wilson?
Sean Taylor?
Polamalu?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #7
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Michael Huff, and Donte Whitner were two safeties drafted in the top ten of 2006, #7 & #8 overall. Anyone know how they did?? Were they "instant" impact??

Quote:
One more thing....

We gave up less passing TDs than Washington, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Dallas, San Fran, Green Bay, Cincy, Tennessee, Seattle, Miami, Detroit, & Carolina.

We gave up less passing ypg than Minnesota, Cincy, Arizona, Atlanta, NYGiants, Tennessee, San Fran, Detroit, Dallas & Washington.
This should give you somewhat of an answer to your question, "Were they 'instant' impact?"

The respective teams for Huff & Whitner, Raiders & Bills, considered pass defense enough of a problem to use a top 10 pick on a FS. They were obviously impact enought to not be in your list of the worst pass defense teams. I'm not saying they turned it around themselves, but they were definitely a major component...w/in one year.
Old 03-19-2007   #8
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
One more thing....

Not to mention that we were trailing in many games and thus on defense against a run-oriented offense for much of the time. Doesn't negate your point but it's worth consideration.
Old 03-19-2007   #9
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/OAK

It has Huff listed at a SS and Schweigert as the FS. I have a friend who is a HUGE raiders fan here. Kind of opened my eyes to the way Schweigert plays and he's really one of the more underated FS in the NFL. Reminds me of the way Kerry Rhodes is. I think Huff was also injured a few games as well. I'd also like to say in that defense they've been stock piling talent there especially at the corner position and it's paying off. Aside from Warren Sapp that is a YOUNG defense. IMO if they can get their offense together that will be a scary team.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/BUF

Whitner notched 107 tackles and 1 pick. Ko simpson did pretty well too it seems getting 76 tackles a sack and two picks.

In comparison : http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/HOU

Our starting Corner Dunta Robinson had more tackles then both safety starters.

Ed Reed and Landry: http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/BAL

Keep in mind in a 3-4 defense the linebackers keep things ahead of the Safeties with those stats.

Dawkins and Constadine : http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/PHI

While the tackle numbers aren't as high when the Defense needed a boost or the team a big play Dawkins seemed to make it.
Old 03-19-2007   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Not to mention that we were trailing in many games and thus on defense against a run-oriented offense for much of the time. Doesn't negate your point but it's worth consideration.
Good Point.

Please_Evolve. Personally, I think a safety with crazy tackle stats means that particular team isn't very good at stopping the run, without a lot of support from the safeties. I don't have a problem with safeties helping in run support, but when 107 tackles on the 28th ranked run defense doesn't translate to "good" for me.

It's pretty danged impressive from a rookie nontheless, but really, a safety shouldn't have that many tackles.

Austin JB..... Good point. Mr. Tex... the guys you have listed have produced comparable tackles, sacks, FF & INTs as our Safeties. Nobody is saying those guys need to be replaced. If the guys you mentioned were playing on our team, and produced the numbers they produced, would we be wanting to replace them as well??

How much of our safeties production is dependant on Scheme?? How much of Reeds success is due to McAllister & Ray Lewis??

Roy Williams has 5 INTs, but he is not very good in coverage.
Old 03-19-2007   #11
real

Quote:
Good Point.

Please_Evolve. Personally, I think a safety with crazy tackle stats means that particular team isn't very good at stopping the run, without a lot of support from the safeties. I don't have a problem with safeties helping in run support, but when 107 tackles on the 28th ranked run defense doesn't translate to "good" for me.

It's pretty danged impressive from a rookie nontheless, but really, a safety shouldn't have that many tackles.

Austin JB..... Good point. Mr. Tex... the guys you have listed have produced comparable tackles, sacks, FF & INTs as our Safeties. Nobody is saying those guys need to be replaced. If the guys you mentioned were playing on our team, and produced the numbers they produced, would we be wanting to replace them as well??

How much of our safeties production is dependant on Scheme?? How much of Reeds success is due to McAllister & Ray Lewis??

C.C Brown doesn't have instincts like those other guys...not even Roy Williams...

I've seen those other safeties arrive at the reciever at the same time as the ball plenty of times either making the INT, or the tackle...

It seems C.C is always late to get into the picture...always trailing...

Sure those others are helped by talent around them, but it's not like C.C was playing with a bunch of scrubs...He wasn't good enough last year and we could definitely use an upgrade there...

Do I think C.C was the weak spot? No...IMHO, WLB and WDE are where we need the biggest upgrade...
Old 03-19-2007   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Of the guys playing in our secondary, I like Glenn & CC the best.

Faggins, then Sanders...

Dunta would probably make a good safety, but his small frame scares me to put him there....... but, he plays like a safety anyway... plays much bigger than he is. I just watched the New England game again, & he owned big 'ol Corey Dillion several times.

But I don't think he's a very good corner.

In this draft, I think if I had to chose between Nelson & Landry... I'd go with Nelson.

If I think I can get Houston in the second, I'd take Peterson for sure, and role the dice on the safety.
Old 03-19-2007   #13
TexanRoadrunner
Rookie

Just remember the Colts were a horrible D in the regular season.

Bob Sanders makes an amazing difference to that team. Not only with his play but the way he can inspire the defense.

Year before the Steelers...Troy Polamalu was there to be the inspiration.

To me it is imperative to have a playmaking safety.
Old 03-19-2007   #14
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Adrian Wilson?
Sean Taylor?
Polamalu?
I think Wilson & Polamalu are SS... I agree on Taylor being a top 10 FS though, somewhere like 8-10.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash_Fan3605 View Post
I think Wilson & Polamalu are SS... I agree on Taylor being a top 10 FS though, somewhere like 8-10.
sean taylor is a SS too, right?

point is a big time S can change the whole atmosphere of the Defense, I think the relation to the colts defense in the playoffs is a good one.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #16
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

Neither of those safeties were considered to be in the same league as sean taylor when they were coming out as opposed to when he was. Like him or not, S.T. was an immediate impact and still is a bad a. Who else lays the wood in the pro bowl? Riddle me that. Landry and taylor both play tough hard hitting football, which allows them to be impact players on what ever team they play on.
Old 03-19-2007   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Whitner played SS, because the most talented FS in the entire draft last year was snagged in the 4th. Ko Simpson is the best S on that Bills team. Huff is a bit of a hybrid, and I believe he played a little nickle in Oak. as well. He is a middle of the road FS, and an above average SS at this point but is improving as he should. Ko Simpson was my top rated FS last year, and I would still take him over OD regardless, because Simpson is better at his position that OD IMHO.
Old 03-19-2007   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Whitner played SS, because the most talented FS in the entire draft last year was snagged in the 4th. Ko Simpson is the best S on that Bills team. Huff is a bit of a hybrid, and I believe he played a little nickle in Oak. as well. He is a middle of the road FS, and an above average SS at this point but is improving as he should. Ko Simpson was my top rated FS last year, and I would still take him over OD regardless, because Simpson is better at his position that OD IMHO.
I don't know how Simpson played his rookie year, but I did want him in the 4th really bad. I do remember that. At least OD did turn out well.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #19
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler
Smile Re: Top Ten Free Safeties in the NFL??

Quote:
Good Point.

Good point As well. I didn't watch many buffalo games...in fact i watched one too many.

I got the impression the offense spurtered quite a bit and the defense was on the field more as far as buffalo goes with inflated numbers for both safeties there.

I thought Huff was a fast SS out of UT, agreed YTF and yeah he played nickle a bit in Oakland. I thought for a while he had an ankle sprain that kept in in limited action for a game or two.

Agreed TK on Roy Williams. Good SS but a liability in coverage. If griffin or Merriweather fell to them in the scond i would not be suprised at all that they pick one of those two up. FS is that D's weak link right now.

As far as Ed Reed goes ithought he solidfied that secondary when they chose him. My memory fails me when it comes to who played opposite of McAllister when they drafted Reed. But yeah when you have Ray Lewis anchoring the middle of the field you will look pretty good.
Old 03-20-2007   #20
real

Quote:
In this draft, I think if I had to chose between Nelson & Landry... I'd go with Nelson.
I 100% agree...

If we want to improve our pass defense Nelson is the way to go...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read