Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2007   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston Texans: Still in Development

Watching this show

Anyone watching this on 13?

Seems to have alot of things we are asking ourselves. It seems the writers and radio think what most are...with the teammates and all Dave should move on.

Sage was a subject too. They think he has skills and a his teammates respcect him.

However Smith is doing his best to dance and say the guy is the QB yet they would trade if need be.

It looks like this is a draft time thing.

They are also talking draft and the guys out there...especially O-line. It is McClain and Zerlein commenting.

Overall it is a team revamp show...I'm off of here but I'm interested to see what people think of the comments.

I'm not sure how much is puff we have already seen and how much is new info.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 03-18-2007 at 11:07 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #2
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Houston Texans: Still in Development

If I am catching the base line sentiment, I think the point is valid. In a very real sense, we are entering year 2 of our expansion under the new regime without the benifit of an expansion draft.

I would love to see it click this year, but I thinking we are looking at 2008 to be valid playoff contenders. That in mind, I am not going to get to upset if they don't draft "my players" this year till I have had a chance to think about who they pick. I blew up at the Mario pick last year, but once I calmed down and thought about it, it made sense.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan View Post
If I am catching the base line sentiment, I think the point is valid. In a very real sense, we are entering year 2 of our expansion under the new regime without the benifit of an expansion draft.

I would love to see it click this year, but I thinking we are looking at 2008 to be valid playoff contenders. That in mind, I am not going to get to upset if they don't draft "my players" this year till I have had a chance to think about who they pick. I blew up at the Mario pick last year, but once I calmed down and thought about it, it made sense.
Charles Spencer and Owen Daniels did it for me last season. They turned out to be great picks for us and barring any severe injuries, i would think will be starters for a long time. spencer looked very good for the little we got to see him. please get healthy.

I think we will see our 3 first day picks all be starters...easily by the end of the season. combine that with 5 rookies from last draft that should be starting. thats like 40% of our team that would be from the '06 and '07 draft classes that will be good.

Wow I just got really excited. I really thing we're going to make a run for it in the 2008 season. Hopefully division winners but maybe wild card. I'm usually pretty realistic and don't say we're going to be undefeated or anything but it's looking very good to me. of course we still gotta have this years draft and see how it turns out!

sure wish we didn't really waste that 5th round pick on moulds last season. hopefully andre learned a good deal from him because we sure could be using the player we would have drafted...i would have liked jeremy bloom wr..colorado.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #4
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

You can't forget about Demeco Ryans, OMT. Looking back, I wish we would have taken Vince - and yes I was an advocate for Carr sticking around. I still think Carr has some potential, but that he has been shell-shocked here in Houston. Mario was alright, and maybe (HOPEFULLY) his best games are ahead of him for a long time to come.

I'm hoping they get some steals this year like they did last year.
Old 03-19-2007   #5
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Charles Spencer and Owen Daniels did it for me last season. They turned out to be great picks for us and barring any severe injuries, i would think will be starters for a long time. spencer looked very good for the little we got to see him. please get healthy.

I think we will see our 3 first day picks all be starters...easily by the end of the season. combine that with 5 rookies from last draft that should be starting. thats like 40% of our team that would be from the '06 and '07 draft classes that will be good.

Wow I just got really excited. I really thing we're going to make a run for it in the 2008 season. Hopefully division winners but maybe wild card. I'm usually pretty realistic and don't say we're going to be undefeated or anything but it's looking very good to me. of course we still gotta have this years draft and see how it turns out!

sure wish we didn't really waste that 5th round pick on moulds last season. hopefully andre learned a good deal from him because we sure could be using the player we would have drafted...i would have liked jeremy bloom wr..colorado.
The fifth rounder for Moulds was last year....we have all seven rounds this year. Hope that makes your day a little bit better.

Perhaps we can use it to draft "the next Jeremy Bloom".
Old 03-19-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I got the impression the show was produced 'bout a week ago, because
nothing new and most of it now fairly old news.
To me the most interesting part of the show was GM Smiths comments about
Carr because it reveals what a mess they are in with DC. With a salary of 6-7
million for this year that has to be paid if they keep him, it plainly shows how
they have to start him if he's retained. But Smiths language is so vague, even evasive about Carr that one can see they don't know want him, but
are covering their butts in the event they are stuck with him.
And if they play him as they must if they can't unload him, best scenario for the Texans organization is that Carr plays reasonable well, the Texans win a couple more games, and Vince Young stinks it up with a sophomore jinx after
his great rookie year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #7
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
The fifth rounder for Moulds was last year....we have all seven rounds this year. Hope that makes your day a little bit better.

Perhaps we can use it to draft "the next Jeremy Bloom".
Oh thats great news, Im not sure if Moulds has been picked up, IMO im glad they cut him, he had to much of a payroll and he wasent getting as much attention off of AJ as they had hoped for. I know we dont have a #2 reciever right now but the draft is pretty deep as far as recievers go so I look for them to pick one up in the 3 round possible 2nd depending who all is there.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2007   #8
Sportsfan
All Pro

They didn't state anything on the program that isn't talked about on here.

The only thing that stuck out to me was that Rick Smith emphatically stated that Carr is still their starting QB and in this offense major improvements by the QB are seen in years 2 and 3 after learning this new offense.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post

The only thing that stuck out to me was that Rick Smith emphatically stated that Carr is still their starting QB and in this offense major improvements by the QB are seen in years 2 and 3 after learning this new offense.
That is a fantastic way of saying, we can't get rid of him so we are hoping he got better.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
Oh thats great news, Im not sure if Moulds has been picked up, IMO im glad they cut him, he had to much of a payroll and he wasent getting as much attention off of AJ as they had hoped for. I know we dont have a #2 reciever right now but the draft is pretty deep as far as recievers go so I look for them to pick one up in the 3 round possible 2nd depending who all is there.
We basically need a guy with good hands instead of lobster claws, and jets instead of skateboard wheels. Moulds had the hands, but not the speed to keep defenses honest. A deep-threat is much-needed to keep those CB's/FS's honest.
Old 03-19-2007   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post

But he also followed up up, like he has all off season, that changes can happen. To me it sounded like more b.s. so as not to show their hand. GM speak
Old 03-19-2007   #12
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 834 Wolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

I'd love to see this. Anyone know if it is on line anywhere?
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiegrrl View Post
I'd love to see this. Anyone know if it is on line anywhere?
I haven't looked but you might check Channel 13s website, abc13 and see if it is the sports area.
Old 03-19-2007   #14
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

I saw this last night...basically said what i already knew
Old 03-19-2007   #15
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFan View Post
I'm hoping they get some steals this year like they did last year.
Just remember, everyone -- our team has so many needs, that Smith & Kubiak drafting is going to be relatively straight-forward.

Oops, the next OL on our board was taken...better switch over to fill that Safety position (either of em). Or CB. Or DT. Or DE. Or WR2.

You get the idea. I for one am very excited about this draft!
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #16
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Bob Allen just read the Chronic and resused their already old and tired stories. I caught some of it and it was stuff thats been beat to death and beyond on this forum.
Old 03-19-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
It looks like this is a draft time thing.
I don't see a draft time trade involving David Carr. Sorry, just not seeing it.

The team he is traded to, would have to assume his contract, or they'd have to feel pretty damn good, that he'd take less money.

I don't see anyone wanting to Pay David Carr $5.75 million in '07. I don't see David taking a pay cut just so we can move up, and draft his replacement.
Old 03-19-2007   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't see a draft time trade involving David Carr. Sorry, just not seeing it.

The team he is traded to, would have to assume his contract, or they'd have to feel pretty damn good, that he'd take less money.

I don't see anyone wanting to Pay David Carr $5.75 million in '07. I don't see David taking a pay cut just so we can move up, and draft his replacement.
Exactly, David isn't going anywhere. Just the way I see it.

David might be a standup guy, but I don't think he has problem being grossly overpaid. Further, I don't think McNair will get out of the way so Kubiak can deal Carr and move on.

McNair has boxed the Texans into keeping Carr for probably the remainder of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr signs an extension next year if he has modest numbers and the Texans go .500. Be prepared for that!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #19
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Exactly, David isn't going anywhere. Just the way I see it.

David might be a standup guy, but I don't think he has problem being grossly overpaid. Further, I don't think McNair will get out of the way so Kubiak can deal Carr and move on.

McNair has boxed the Texans into keeping Carr for probably the remainder of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr signs an extension next year if he has modest numbers and the Texans go .500. Be prepared for that!
McNair's most recent actions would seem to elude to the opposite. He said the same thing that Kubes and Smith have said. That basically no ones job is safe to include Carrs.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #20
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I agree that Carr will probably be around next year but with one difference: He won't be handed the starter's job on a platter. Kubiak has stated that he doesn't care what a player makes, he is going to start the best player at each position.
Looking from the outside in, Sage seems to have more respect from his teammates and better decision skills at this point.

IMO Carr's biggest problem at this point is a loss of self-confidence. Understandable after all he has been through. But until he get's it back, all the physical talent in the world is not going to help much.

If they pass on Quinn look for them to pick up Kolb in the third (mabye) or the fourth round (almost certainly) if he is still available.

Meanwhile, there is lot's of talent in the draft this year in the secondary and WR's, I think it's going to be a huge plus for us on our way to the Texan's Dynasty.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read