Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2007   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Texans stuck with Carr

"Here are the 1st 9 draft choices from ESPN:
1. Oakland 2-14 .555
2. Detroit 3-13 .479
3. Cleveland 4-12 .535
4. Tampa Bay 4-12 .535
5. Arizona 5-11 .500
6. Washington 5-11 .512
7. Minnesota 6-10 .539
8. Houston 6-10 .500
9. Miami 6-10 .504 "

Now Carr has been rumored to Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Minnesota & Washington. Some have even mentioned Detroit. There are two QB's in the draft rated in the top 6 prospects. Given the draft order and all the you know what thrown out on this board, why would any of those teams consider Carr if all of you really do know how bad he is. Reality is if any team having any questions would draft both of these QB's and not trade with the Texans unless it was the trade of the century.

If Carr is traded it probably will be to someone below the Texans in the draft in order to pick up additional picks. I think the most likely candidate would shock people and I will leave it at that. I think the Texans in this case are going to keep Carr and shoot for someone other than a QB as their top draft pick.

The hand wringing is going to go on for some time, but I believe that is the jist of the situation. All of the nonsense being thrown about on this board is making the situtation worse for the Texans and David. If David remains, I think its about 40-60, then a very nasty fan situation has been set up and the Texans had better have shored up their O-line and WR positions along with picking up the FB from GB. I still think you will be surprised at what Carr can do if he can get some confidence back that he has protection.

He has at times withstood the onslaught and made some excellent throws. Its hard to stand in there when you are being blasted all of the time. In addition, as I have so often said, he needs to be able to call his plays so he can run a 2 minute offense. I think the coaches continue to make the situtation worse rather than better. He needs to be able to grow into the position. His development is being stiffled by the imposed limits. Lets take the handcuffs off and see what he is capable of doing on his own.

If you are never allowed to make the full range of decisions on your own, you will never learn to make them. This has been a repeated process with coaches that want to control everything. Dungy is an example of one who lets his QB do what is necessary with input when necessary. You will say Carr is no Manning and that is true, but Manning would not be what he is if he hadn't been allowed to grow into the position. Ely is having the same problem in NY. The NY coach and DOM are so much a like its not even funny and that's why Ely is not growing in the position. Ely is another one who needs to go somewhere else if he's going to rise to the top.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Texans stuck with Carr

I thought there were 20 teams interested in him?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I thought there were 20 teams interested in him?
Yea, I'm referring to the trade up scenario that everyone is talking about. I just can't see it happening at this time.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherlock Holmes could not solve the Carr mystery .
Old 03-18-2007   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Sherlock Holmes could not solve the Carr mystery .
There is no mystery. As a QB, he sucks.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry View Post
Yea, I'm referring to the trade up scenario that everyone is talking about. I just can't see it happening at this time.
We probably won't trade up, but we also probably won't keep him. If he can get us a 4th round pick then we will take it.
Old 03-18-2007   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
The hand wringing is going to go on for some time, but I believe that is the jist of the situation. All of the nonsense being thrown about on this board is making the situtation worse for the Texans and David.
Great.

Now it's the fans' fault too.

Or actually good, cause now the fans have casus belli to bum rush the field on opening day.
Old 03-18-2007   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have also been looking for extra picks and the excuse to trade down. Carolina and a few other teams would fit the bill perfectly.
Old 03-18-2007   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The hand wringing is going to go on for some time, but I believe that is the jist of the situation. All of the nonsense being thrown about on this board is making the situtation worse for the Texans and David.
There is one way for David to fix that. Play better. Lead his receivers, throw a majority of his passes beyond the line of scrimmage (maybe even a few beyond the first down line), don't fumble as much, don't lock in on his receivers, don't get several balls tipped at the line of scrimmage every game, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 03-18-2007   #10
bigcarlos
Veteran

Thumbs up Re: Texans stuck with Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
There is no mystery. As a QB, he sucks.
NO mystery at all
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

At this time, I would be willing to trade our #8 pick to a later-first-round pick if someone would just take his contract...
Old 03-18-2007   #12
afcman
Veteran

Well, this is one reason why I would've like to have gotten Garcia for this next season. I think next year there will be far more QB's available. It's pretty thin this year. I don't mind keeping Carr.....but as a backup.
Old 03-18-2007   #13
MATRIX
Veteran

On 20 mock draft sites, 3 have us taking AP(real nickname AD). I don't look at random ones just the ones that over the last 3 years have been 90% right.

On 5 they have us taking Quinn.

The rest have us taking Lynch or Peterson, including 2 that have us taking Lynch over peterson due to injury concerns and Lynch having better hands.

So, go figure. We will probably grab on O-lineman or D-lineman. Only 1 has us with a possible chance to grab Landry. And not 1 has us taking any of the mentioned QBs(Kolb, Stanton, Beck), but rather a guy who would be a backup if he made the team in the 7th.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATRIX View Post
On 20 mock draft sites, 3 have us taking AP(real nickname AD). I don't look at random ones just the ones that over the last 3 years have been 90% right.

On 5 they have us taking Quinn.

The rest have us taking Lynch or Peterson, including 2 that have us taking Lynch over peterson due to injury concerns and Lynch having better hands.

So, go figure. We will probably grab on O-lineman or D-lineman. Only 1 has us with a possible chance to grab Landry. And not 1 has us taking any of the mentioned QBs(Kolb, Stanton, Beck), but rather a guy who would be a backup if he made the team in the 7th.
which 20 mock draft websites are you looking at? i'd love to keep up with their predictions up to the draft.

no offense but over the past three years i find it very hard to believe these site got 90% of their mocks right. i'd be surprised if 1 got one right over the past 3 years.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #15
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
"Here are the 1st 9 draft choices from ESPN:
1. Oakland 2-14 .555
2. Detroit 3-13 .479
3. Cleveland 4-12 .535
4. Tampa Bay 4-12 .535
5. Arizona 5-11 .500
6. Washington 5-11 .512
7. Minnesota 6-10 .539
8. Houston 6-10 .500
9. Miami 6-10 .504 "

Now Carr has been rumored to Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Minnesota & Washington. Some have even mentioned Detroit. There are two QB's in the draft rated in the top 6 prospects. Given the draft order and all the you know what thrown out on this board, why would any of those teams consider Carr if all of you really do know how bad he is. Reality is if any team having any questions would draft both of these QB's and not trade with the Texans unless it was the trade of the century.

If Carr is traded it probably will be to someone below the Texans in the draft in order to pick up additional picks. I think the most likely candidate would shock people and I will leave it at that. I think the Texans in this case are going to keep Carr and shoot for someone other than a QB as their top draft pick.

The hand wringing is going to go on for some time, but I believe that is the jist of the situation. All of the nonsense being thrown about on this board is making the situtation worse for the Texans and David. If David remains, I think its about 40-60, then a very nasty fan situation has been set up and the Texans had better have shored up their O-line and WR positions along with picking up the FB from GB. I still think you will be surprised at what Carr can do if he can get some confidence back that he has protection.

He has at times withstood the onslaught and made some excellent throws. Its hard to stand in there when you are being blasted all of the time. In addition, as I have so often said, he needs to be able to call his plays so he can run a 2 minute offense. I think the coaches continue to make the situtation worse rather than better. He needs to be able to grow into the position. His development is being stiffled by the imposed limits. Lets take the handcuffs off and see what he is capable of doing on his own.

If you are never allowed to make the full range of decisions on your own, you will never learn to make them. This has been a repeated process with coaches that want to control everything. Dungy is an example of one who lets his QB do what is necessary with input when necessary. You will say Carr is no Manning and that is true, but Manning would not be what he is if he hadn't been allowed to grow into the position. Ely is having the same problem in NY. The NY coach and DOM are so much a like its not even funny and that's why Ely is not growing in the position. Ely is another one who needs to go somewhere else if he's going to rise to the top.
...no other QB in the NFL calls his own plays-not Manning/Brady/Brees...Carr can't run the plays called for him/can't read a defense/can't get rid of the ball in sync with the right 'step' that OL/WR are keying off,etc....get over it-ain't gonna happen...

...and didn't you say you were done making excuses for David?
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #16
MATRIX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
which 20 mock draft websites are you looking at? i'd love to keep up with their predictions up to the draft.

no offense but over the past three years i find it very hard to believe these site got 90% of their mocks right. i'd be surprised if 1 got one right over the past 3 years.

I'm only counting who WE took...not the rest.

I normaly goto: http://www.djnflmockdraft.com/mocklisting.htm

And then just follow certian ones. You have to pick and choose. Some have VERY odd trades as well.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
At this time, I would be willing to trade our #8 pick to a later-first-round pick if someone would just take his contract...
I think that's a fantastic idea. It's too bad they would never consider that.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #18
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer

Hope you are right. But we won't know if we get to keep him until draft day, when anything can happen.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #19
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I have a feeling that if we draft a QB it will be Kolb in round 3 if he is there. Unless someone makes us a good offer on Carr (third round, or maybe a 4'th and 6'th), I think he spends at least 1 more year here. Going into camp, Sage is starter, Carr is backup and Kolb is project under development. I am basing a lot of this on a rumor I heard that Kubiak sees something he likes in Kolb. And I do kind of hate the thought of the money involved to have 2 first round QB's on the roster, i.e. what it costs us elsewhere.

One of the biggest needs is in the secondary, and since there hasn't been any FA activity there, I am looking for us to use the 1'st and 4'th or 5'th round picks there. Landry as our first pick doesn't seem too far out of reach to me. I am really hoping they don't go Levi Brown in the first as that probably means Spencer is out for at least a big chunk of the year.

All in all, I can see a lot of scenarios, but I think Spencer's availablity is going to have a major influence on how they go this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Spencer is back day 1 at full strength and that we can pick up Kalil (center) in round 2. Sage and, dare I say it, even Carr might look OK behind that line. Who knows, Carr may even regain confidence in himself, confidence of his teammates, and even the love of the Houston fans. Hey... that's not that far a stretch, people have very short memories when it comes to politics, why not the same for football?
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr is going to be a draft day deal.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read