Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2007   #1
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
Rookie

Default A Defense Thread for a change

Current defensive depth chart:

DE-Willams & Weaver....with Babin first of the bench
DT-Johnson & Maddox...with Zgonina first of the bench
LB-Ryans, Greenwood, Clark...with Orr, Wong, and hopefully Barber of the bench
CB-Robinson & Faggins...with McCleon as the nickle
S-Earl & Brown...with no real backups

As stated on this board many times, safety is our weakest link. We need to sign or draft a starting strong safety making Earl a high quality back up. I believe that we have done a pretty good job at LB...this positions does need to be relooked at next offseason though. I would really like to upgrade to cornerback position with either a replacement starter for Faggins or least someone brought in to compete for the position. McCleon is a good quality backup. DE and DT could be left as is, but for the sake of talking, I would like to see a better quality pass rushing end to complement Williams and moving Weaver inside. With this move of Weaver, I believe we would have four quality tackle to rotate in to keep fresh. Babin provides good depth at end.
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #2
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Re: A Defense Thread for a change

we need fs and brown can be the back up earl is ok at ss
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #3
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Our secondary needs help....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #4
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

get pressure on QB, we have decent safeties. That is secret can defensive line get consistent pressure on QB to make him hurry his throws, thus taking away deep passes like we got killed with last year
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #5
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSB07 View Post
get pressure on QB, we have decent safeties. That is secret can defensive line get consistent pressure on QB to make him hurry his throws, thus taking away deep passes like we got killed with last year
We dont have a free safety...WE NEED ONE....Landry
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #6
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSB07 View Post
It works both ways if they could cover longer than the line has a better chance of getting to QB.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #7
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree the line does not push well enough either.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2007   #8
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

we definitely need LaRon Landry to improve our secondary. with him and D-Rob our defense would be scary
Old 03-16-2007   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a big supporter for Landry.

But whether we select him or not, we will either have to have a new starting FS or a new starting CB to replace faggins.

we have to have 1...i'm hoping for both maybe.

We need to draft a FS or CB on the first day. we HAVE to.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #10
htownfoozball
Veteran

1 landry fs
2 abiamiri de
3 david irons cb
4 mike walker wr

secondary and pass rush addressed. grab a #2 receiver for AJ.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #11
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Looks like some decent seconary guys will be available deep in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles if you are curious. (After reading through some of these I like Bannister, seems he likes to hit and can cover, nice complement to Dunta.)

Biggest thing I am trying to decide is if the "experts" are right and we get Levi Brown (LT) with the first pick. Guess they ask Spencer about that the day before the draft.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #12
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

It is the off-season and I am optimistic. Although I was worried about the defense the first half of last season, I felt like the defense really started to come together at the end of the season, even with Mario playing on a bad tire. I think that if we can plug in a quality starter in the backfield (at either safety or corner), I think our defense could be pretty good.

Here are a couple of other reasons I think the defense gets better in 2007:

(1) 2nd Season in the new scheme - Last year we not only started with a new staff, but we had an entirely new scheme. I think the group as a whole had some growing pains, but I think by the end of the season things started to come together. In addition to everyone being more comfortable with the new scheme, we have had a year to let some players go who don't fit this scheme and have brought in other players (and will draft new players) who will fit the scheme we are running.

(2) The DL will be better - First and foremost, I think (and really, really hope) that Mario makes his impact this year. Clearly, his injury slowed him down at the end of last season, so I am expecting that with a year under his belt and a full off-season to work on his weaknesses, he will be a major force. Second, we shouldn't experience a second year of the injuries that we had on the DL last year. Even without a first day pick, just getting everyone back who was injured last year, should make us better. Finally, if we do pick a defensive back with the first pick, I do think the line gets that short additional time to get to the QB more.

(3) Better Offense - Our offense last year put our defense in horrible position. If it wasn't a quick three and out, the offense was turning the ball over in the opposing teams territory. I feel like I can count the legitimate, sustained drives that we made all last season on two hands. Our defense spent entirely too much time on the field.
Maybe I am too optimistic, but the offense has to be better next year than it was last year. Hopefully Carr (or whomever else is playing QB), will average less than one botched snap/ game. At worst, the OL should be as good as last year, and if Spencer comes back and/or we get a first day pick, we should be considerably better. RB should be better with Green and the resurgence of Dayne, so we should be able to maintain drives on a more consistent basis.

(4) Confidence - Our defense played as good as I have ever seen a Texans D play at the end of last year. The defense kept us in a lot of games last year and started to play with a little bit of a swagger by the end of the season. We also start the year with a legitimate leader in the LB corps, together with quality, veteran depth that LB and DL.

With the offseason moves we have made to date, I would love to see the first day draft include OT, S and CB. If can upgrade two starting positions on the defense, the defense will be a lot of fun to watch.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan View Post
Current defensive depth chart:

DE-Willams & Weaver....with Babin first of the bench
DT-Johnson & Maddox...with Zgonina first of the bench
LB-Ryans, Greenwood, Clark...with Orr, Wong, and hopefully Barber of the bench
CB-Robinson & Faggins...with McCleon as the nickle
S-Earl & Brown...with no real backups

As stated on this board many times, safety is our weakest link. We need to sign or draft a starting strong safety making Earl a high quality back up. I believe that we have done a pretty good job at LB...this positions does need to be relooked at next offseason though. I would really like to upgrade to cornerback position with either a replacement starter for Faggins or least someone brought in to compete for the position. McCleon is a good quality backup. DE and DT could be left as is, but for the sake of talking, I would like to see a better quality pass rushing end to complement Williams and moving Weaver inside. With this move of Weaver, I believe we would have four quality tackle to rotate in to keep fresh. Babin provides good depth at end.
I wish someone would explain to me why we should move a 280 lb. DE, who just came off rotator cuff surgery, inside to be a DT and expect him to be any good? He will be "steamrolled" by 320 lb. O-linemen on running plays. I know they move him inside on obvious passing plays to get a quicker lineup in there with Babin as DE, but moving him inside permanently, I don't think is a good idea.

The problem, I believe, is Weaver and Mario are suited to play the same position, and originally when we signed Weaver, I think at the time, Mario wasn't even being looked at as a draft possibility. But, I think Kubes (yes, this was Kubes pick) couldn't resist taking him and probably thought he could utilize both Weaver and Mario together in some way on the D-line. Remember, they thought they could play Mario some at DT.

I agree we another speed rushing DE, like Freeney, but moving Weaver to DT is a bad idea IMO.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
The problem, I believe, is Weaver and Mario are suited to play the same position, and originally when we signed Weaver, I think at the time, Mario wasn't even being looked at as a draft possibility. But, I think Kubes (yes, this was Kubes pick) couldn't resist taking him and probably thought he could utilize both Weaver and Mario together in some way on the D-line. Remember, they thought they could play Mario some at DT.

I agree we another speed rushing DE, like Freeney, but moving Weaver to DT is a bad idea IMO.
I'm going to say this and some people will probably freak out at me but...

I thought we looked damn good with:

Weaver - <insert DT> - Mario - Babin/Peek

I know that no one wants Mario on the inside, but when we used this last preseason, Mario really freed up the DE to make plays.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
1 landry fs
2 abiamiri de
3 david irons cb
4 mike walker wr

secondary and pass rush addressed. grab a #2 receiver for AJ.
mike walker isn't that great at all, he plays a whole lot slower than his time. as for our defense, i think we really need another stud in the secondary, whether it be at free safety (we've never had one) or at cornerback (we've only had one)... and i like landry a lot. that being said, if adrian is gone by #8, i would like for us to either take him (landry) or trade down and get some more talent. we've got a lot of holes to fill.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #16
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Pressure on the QB and secondary help seem to be the consensus needs for Houston. It's all about where the staff wants to go with the 8th pick, DE Jamaal Anderson or S LaRon Landry. And since our starting safeties are Charlie picks, I think we take Landry.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #17
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

About as important as who we have on defense is how they are rotated and used.

This defense has so much situational substitutions wich certian players coming in at specific times.

Some team running a "good" no huddle offense can trick us up with the wrong players out on the field.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #18
amazingandre
All Pro

i think we need both a fs and a cb to start from day one......thats why i like landry in the 1st and hughes in the second.....hughges imo is the best cover corner but his 40 time really hurt him.....but i knew itd be slow.....he is similar to nathan vasher who dropped in the draft due to a slow 40.......then in the third we need jason hill.....a huge dep treat that can really challenge anyone for the number 2 slot.....i think this owuld be the best draft and we can then get kareem brown in the 4th to play dline....even he should be able to start....
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #19
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be happy with Leon Hall or LaRon Landry. But I think cb is more of a need than free safety so I would draft Hall. It is easier and cheaper to find a safety in free agency than it is cb.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #20
texas mopar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm going to say this and some people will probably freak out at me but...

I thought we looked damn good with:

Weaver - <insert DT> - Mario - Babin/Peek

I know that no one wants Mario on the inside, but when we used this last preseason, Mario really freed up the DE to make plays.
I really think we need a big run stopping DT, somebody thats hard to move out of the way,thats why I've liked Branch but some have said he takes plays off (if thats true no way) but I watched several Michican games last year and was impressed with his push up the middle.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read