Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2007   #1
OTF
Rookie

Default Raider fan with a question about Carr...

There have been rumors we would trade for Carr and I remember that he was due a $4 mil bonus on March 15th according to the link below. Has he in fact received that bonus? Just curious because I'm thinking that if he has we can put that rumor to rest...

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout143.html
Quote:
the second of which is due to be given to him on March 15, 2007. If another team is willing to give Carr the $4 million he is owed in a trade scenario
OTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: Raider fan with a question about Carr...

In what was considered the 2005 league year, the Texans exercised a 3 year buy back option (he had satisfied a performance option to void the last 3 years of the deal) by paying him an $8 mil bonus. By exercising it when they did, they were able to prorate it over the 2005-2008 seasons at $2 mil per year. In other words, he has received everything, but the Texans still have to account for $4 mil of signing bonus if he is traded or cut.
Old 03-16-2007   #3
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

i feel bad for Carr everyone hates him lol
Old 03-16-2007   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

not everyone hates...i personally think he has been dealt such a bad hand here in houston that the decent thing to do is to trade him to a team that can give him a fresh start...i think the sooner we do that the better...and if we can trade him to a team with a decent o-line the better his chances are of rebounding his career
Old 03-16-2007   #5
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

i know. casserly and capers pretty much ruined him, and now he's gonna go for a low price to someone else and shine like he did at fresno state
Old 03-16-2007   #6
texun
Rookie

Despite all the negatives you will here about Carr on this message board, he is still better than any QB the raiders currently have on their roster. He would be a good QB with a better O line - I just don't think the Raiders line is any better than the Texans. However, it's kind of hard to tell what kind of talent the Raiders really had last year since your O coordinator was awful.
texun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
i know. casserly and capers pretty much ruined him, and now he's gonna go for a low price to someone else and shine like he did at fresno state
I'm all for recapturing my Collegiate glory years.

signed,
Andre Ware

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2007   #8
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
not everyone hates...i personally think he has been dealt such a bad hand here in houston that the decent thing to do is to trade him
Yep. Better for both sides.
Old 03-16-2007   #9
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
In what was considered the 2005 league year, the Texans exercised a 3 year buy back option (he had satisfied a performance option to void the last 3 years of the deal) by paying him an $8 mil bonus. By exercising it when they did, they were able to prorate it over the 2005-2008 seasons at $2 mil per year. In other words, he has received everything, but the Texans still have to account for $4 mil of signing bonus if he is traded or cut.
How can they prorate a portion over 2005 when he didn't sign the extension until 2006?
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan View Post
How can they prorate a portion over 2005 when he didn't sign the extension until 2006?
The league year doesn't follow the calendar year--something like March 1 is the start of the league year. They exercised the option in 2006 but because it was still during the 2005 league year they were able to put $2 mil on that cap. Pretty slick actually.
Old 03-16-2007   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pretty slick actually.

Arguably Casserly and Ferens' only wise cap move in 5 years.

Carr's option was exercised on Feb. 9, 2006 which is still in the '05 league year. Think fiscal years.

Last edited by aj.; 03-16-2007 at 05:56 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Arguably Casserly and Ferens' only wise cap move in 5 years.
I was thinking that as I typed it. Henson was almost a slick move until Casserly went with the--well now, see, we got that 3rd with a 6th so it was basically free--and used it on P-Buc. Actually, tying up Pitts was probably a good move given the $49 mil contracts for non-probowl G's this year.
Old 03-16-2007   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm all for recapturing my Collegiate glory years.

signed,
Andre Ware
I met Andre Ware at a business conference. I got to talking to him because my uncle was the defensive coordinator at a school that played him every year. My uncle would talk about next week's opponent and the quality of the players. Andre's name came up a few times several years in a row.

Anyway, I got to talking to Andre about his days as a Houston Cougar and just about life in general. He was a really cool guy, actually just a regular guy that you can kick back a drink a beer with.

I was very impressed.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I met Andre Ware at a business conference. I got to talking to him because my uncle was the defensive coordinator at a school that played him every year. My uncle would talk about next week's opponent and the quality of the players. Andre's name came up a few times several years in a row.

Anyway, I got to talking to Andre about his days as a Houston Cougar and just about life in general. He was a really cool guy, actually just a regular guy that you can kick back a drink a beer with.

I was very impressed.
He does a good job as the color commentator with the Texans radio network.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #15
rascous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
i feel bad for Carr everyone hates him lol
Watch him go another team and excel. It happens. Then Texan fans will hate him even more.
rascous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #16
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascous View Post
Watch him go another team and excel. It happens. Then Texan fans will hate him even more.
i could care less if he goes somewhere else and gets off. it is just in the best interests of both entities to part ways.
Old 03-16-2007   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 145454 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or watch him go to another team and be just as bad. That happens even more often. Then the Texan fans will look back at these days with a certain wistfulness.

Guys like Plunkett, Steve Young, Brad Johnson, Gannon, and Trent Green are pretty rare. Most guys end up like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, and all those nameless guys that bounce around all over the place.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only thing that worries me about carr on another team is his sack history. I'm afraid that he's been hit so many times that he's pretty much expecting it every play and if it doesn't happen, he's confused.

I thing he could really excel on a different team. Raiders unfortunately don't have a great o-line though. Give him some time to throw and let him get used to that time and he'll be great. I'd personally like to see him on the Bears.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #19
OTF
Rookie

Quote:
So the article was wrong?

The things that are important to you matter, everything else is distraction.
OTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #20
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:

Then the haters will get what they deserve.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read