Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2007   #1
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 433 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default marketing name vs avg player

Well as we all know, the Texans rarely sign any big name players. They always avoid the flashy pick in the draft and hardly ever go after those flashy name players in FA.

My question is, is there really that much of a drop off talent wise from those big names?

I kind of think that it gives us assurance that the coaching staff is running the team and not Bob McNair. Everyone knows that McNair could of made millions more and brought national spotlight to the Texans if he ordered the coach and GM to draft Young or even Bush. Instead he let the staff make the pick. I like that.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: marketing name vs avg player

I think there definitly can be a drop off in talent...but sometimes the extra price you pay really doesn't warrant it.

I like that we aren't going after big name guys that are demanding a lot of cash but instead getting players for relatively cheap that seam like solid guys to have for the next 2 years.

With these FA additions..they are addressing some needs while still letting the draft dictate the direction the team is going to go in. None of these FA additions really rule out a certain player or position but instead we can address it by BPA and be safe.

sometimes the big name won't do as well on a different team due to coaching changes or style of play. sometimes FA's that nobody really has heard of may succeed. Peek may do really well in Cleveland because he may get a better chance to succeed...or that team may fit him better.

Sometimes they are just big names from what they've done in the past and really arent good anymore...DUKE BLUE DEVILS aahhhaha
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #3
DarkNinja
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
Everyone knows that McNair could of made millions more and brought national spotlight to the Texans if he ordered the coach and GM to draft Young or even Bush. Instead he let the staff make the pick. I like that.
In previous posts, I've said the same and I'm right again...:brickwall
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #4
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
Everyone knows that McNair could of made millions more and brought national spotlight to the Texans if he ordered the coach and GM to draft Young or even Bush. Instead he let the staff make the pick. I like that.
The decisions to not draft Young and Bush were separate and independent.

McNair's love for Carr meant Young wasn't going to get picked. Just an aside, Carr isn't going anywhere. I could go into great details, but McNair probably has put certain requirements on getting rid of Carr that can't be met. McNair limits the decision making ability of his staff while giving them the feeling they are making a decisions. Managers like this just drive me nuts!!! They just box you into a decision and then blame you for making a poor decision that you had no involvement in the first place.

To move on. McNair's requirement that a #1 draft pick must be signed before draft day, meant Bush wasn't going to get picked.

As you can see, IMO, McNair made these decisions for his coaching staff before they could even evaluate the situation. Further, these decisions really didn't have that much to do with revenue generation. He makes the rules because he thinks he can run player personnel similarily to how he was succesful in the business world. Unfortunately, they just don't crossover.

I believe the biggest problem the Texans have is Bob McNair. He doesn't directly run personnel, but he puts inflexible rules that prohibit getting the best player or taking a calculated chance. Further, McNair sticks his fingers in QB personnel decisions and has certain personal background requirements on players.

I am over emphasizing this, but I could really care less if a player is bad person as long as they contribute to a winning foundation. I don't care about roles models, I care about winning. If someone is looking up to an NFL athlete and making their own personal decisions on what these athletes do or don't do, I think you are going to have some self-reliance issues. Breaking the law is one thing and shouldn't be tolerated, being a deviant and a jerk is completely separate.

McNair seems to have this theory that if you kick the dog out on the way out the door before you go to work every day, you are going to pay the price later in the day. It's probably related to his Faith. I really don't think if someone is a bad person, they are going to pay for it sometime during their lifetime by being less of an athelete than if they were a better person. The two just aren't connected.

Bottom line, the biggest problem the Texans have is Bob McNair.

Just keep this mind when year 10 rolls around and the Texans just can't seem to put it together and are on Coach #3 on his last legs.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #5
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

if only McNair sold the franchise to someone who didn't give a ****** about character...and it stayed in H-town
Old 03-16-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
if only McNair sold the franchise to someone who didn't give a ****** about character...and it stayed in H-town
But then it wouldn't have a chance to be the GREATEST franchise ever.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #7
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
It is pretty much with every sports organzation in houston. Who cares if they have a big mouth, if they improve your team, send them in.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read