Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-15-2007   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default IF you had to choose

Between LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson.... Who would you take?
Old 03-15-2007   #2
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: IF you had to choose

Landry.
Old 03-15-2007   #3
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Landry

We got ahman green, we can lust after McFadden next year...but CC Brown is our starter for craps sake

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson. Landry is probably the best defensive back in this draft (I'm including corners and safeties), but Peterson is probably the best pure running back prospect to come out since Ricky Williams. Reggie Bush is a better all-around talent, but he wasn't as good a runner at USC as Peterson was at Oklahoma. The Texans need a playmaker on offense. Peterson would be it.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Without question, Adrian Peterson. A franchise running back versus a very good safety? It's a no brainer to me.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #6
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Landry

We got ahman green, we can lust after McFadden next year...but CC Brown is our starter for craps sake
Well said. McFadden, in my opinion, is worth trading up to the first pick next year. It's worth dreaming about...
Old 03-15-2007   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Well said. McFadden, in my opinion, is worth trading up to the first pick next year. It's worth dreaming about...
Yep that makes two of us. I pick taking a shot at Darren McFaddin. That's two of us. I take Levi this year.
Old 03-15-2007   #8
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Yep that makes two of us. I pick taking a shot at Darren McFaddin. That's two of us. I take Levi this year.
actually, thats 3...

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #9
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
actually, thats 3...
next LT...put me in as 4.
Old 03-15-2007   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'd love to have McFadden but unless we have another 2-14 season I don't think we'll be able to get him.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'd love to have McFadden but unless we have another 2-14 season I don't think we'll be able to get him.
If you don't take Levi..Salaam is your starter with Jordan Black as the backup. You don't have to be Joel Bushbaum to know what's coming next. They stand pat, they'll be close enough to breath on McFaddin next draft that's for sure.
Old 03-15-2007   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Landry please.

Our pass defense is an absolute mess, Landry pulls things together and gets the defense to a whole different level.
Old 03-15-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take peterson probably. I don't even want to think about how much we'd have to give up for McFadden..he's going to be awesome and go #1 unless he pulls a Michael Bush in the 1st game.

If peterson was available at 8..we'd get trade offers, I'd see about some sorta 3 team trade where we only move down 2 spots so we can Get Landry and an extra pick.

If I had to stay put I'd say peterson.

Next year there are three stud LT..depending on how our line is...i'm looking at them baker, long, gaither. also is brohm qb, mcfadden, rice, slaton, etc. mario manningham, urrutia..wr , antoine cason cb..etc There's a really good Safety from miami coming out next year too i believe.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #14
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd take peterson probably. I don't even want to think about how much we'd have to give up for McFadden..he's going to be awesome and go #1 unless he pulls a Michael Bush in the 1st game.

If peterson was available at 8..we'd get trade offers, I'd see about some sorta 3 team trade where we only move down 2 spots so we can Get Landry and an extra pick.

If I had to stay put I'd say peterson.

Next year there are three stud LT..depending on how our line is...i'm looking at them baker, long, gaither. also is brohm qb, mcfadden, rice, slaton, etc. mario manningham, urrutia..wr , antoine cason cb..etc There's a really good Safety from miami coming out next year too i believe.
I agree, Peterson would, in all likelyhood, be the face of our franchise. McFadden is a nice prospect for next years draft BUT arn't we hoping that we aren't in the hat for a top ten pick in 08?
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exithios View Post
I agree, Peterson would, in all likelyhood, be the face of our franchise. McFadden is a nice prospect for next years draft BUT arn't we hoping that we aren't in the hat for a top ten pick in 08?
Quote:
Next year there are three stud LT....
Yep what I can't figgure out is why it's not ok to put the franchise RB on the the stoves back burner. But the OLT on the other hand ...it's always next year for this team. No one wants to pick the linch pin of the o-line high.

I dunno Exithos....seems reseasonable to me. If you've seen the pattern befor, shouldn't you expect the same results ? I do not see a reach here.
Old 03-15-2007   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Adrian Peterson without a doubt. He makes an immediate impact, and he'll come at a reasonable price for a RB if taken in the top 10. No doubt that Landry is a great player, but his impact as a safety isn't near the impact Peterson would make as a RB. If you're going to pay top dollar for a guy by picking him in the top 10 you go for the best player who gives you the most bang for your buck.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Landry

I'm with y'all on McFadden. If Calvin Johnson is gone we go defense.
Old 03-15-2007   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'll take Peterson, no ifs ands or buts.

Next year, we're going to either start David, or Sage, and maybe a rookie if our season goes South early. I know it's not the consensus around here, but I would have no problem seeing CCBrown & Glenn Earl in the backfield, if we can upgrade one of our CBs.

or:

Without Question, Laron Landry...

We've got Ahman, Gado, Taylor, & Lundy. Lundy shows a lot of promise I think if we can get the ZBS thing down up front. He may never be the next LT, or Suan Alexander. But with our system, so what.

Then again, Levi Brown looks to be a bonafide ZBS LT... I'd imagine our running game would improve quite a bit with him.

Then again....

I don't know.... so many good options.
Old 03-15-2007   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Landry are teh pwn
Old 03-15-2007   #20
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime View Post
Between LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson.... Who would you take?
ASSUMING we do not/cannot trade (if that is a parameter of this inquiry), then I take AD, in full recognition of the fact that Landry is a beast and would address a secondary that is weak weak weak. Peterson is a phenomenal RB and a Texas native: so he fits functionally and from a marketing perspective. Ahman Green is a stop-gap solution. Nothing wrong with Green and Peterson in the backfield.

All of that said: if both Landry and Peterson are on the board at 8, the phone will ring. And I would listen to offers, and consider them carefully. As the Texans (pretend) GM, I have many holes to fill, and if I can trade back a bit, amassing picks and still getting someone like Reggie Nelson, Chris Houston, or Leon Hall, or heck, even Levi Brown, I am most certainly weighing my options for trading.

In short: Peterson. Who I still believe will NOT be available at #8. In that case: Landry.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read