Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2007   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anyone else notice this FA pattern?

Me thinks some very smart moves by the new FO. Instead of paying a kazillion dollars for one or two high profile FA, they are concentrating on the area that will make or break a season. DEPTH! Something woefully needed by this team for a long while but rarely discussed. The signings of Jordan Black, Jeff Zgonina, and Danny Clark and the resignings of Salaam, Bruenner, and Kalu show the effort being made in that area. None of these guys are flashy but they are experienced veterans that will now allow Rick and Kub to focus on the best players in the draft without being desperate to fill a position. Any thoughts from the mob?

Being a genius is not as easy as it seems.........

prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone else notice this FA pattern?

Don't forget the signing of Green, when compared to the other FA RB's and those that were trade was half the price.

Smith is doing a great job..we've addressed RB,OL,DT,LB all of which NEEDED to be addressed. We'll see how much they actually contribute but there is no denying that these FA's will help our team. (imo)

Keep up the good work Smith...in both FA and future cap planning. Draft day..we will be seeing some really good players/picks.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #3
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree Green was a good pickup. I'm hopeful we can also resign Dayne and Leach. And I'm still on the Landry bandwagon for the 8th pick.......
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Good point. This allows alot of wiggle room in the draft. Now Alan Branch isnt such a need. I still think our secondary needs some help.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #5
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan
Rookie

I agree. Rick Smith is doing a great job of signing player to provide depth. I really believe with the yearly FA/draft and one more year of offseason under Rick Smith, we will have a solid team.
Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

If they can keep Leach and still have a little money left for the June cap casualty round-up, they could have an outstanding offseason and set themselves up to have more room under the cap next year.

I would rather them pass on any of the usual suspects left, and see who is cut around June to fill out the rest of the cap space. Once Deon Grant and Hamlin got signed, the pickings are pretty slim. The pickings might be better around June-time.
Old 03-14-2007   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Once Deon Grant and Hamlin got signed, the pickings are pretty slim.
Hamlin hasn't been signed yet.
Old 03-14-2007   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So Zgonina signed with us? I have a hunch that Barber is going to come here also. Playing with young talent in Ryans could be just what it takes to lure him in.

I think that we also have to remember that they make decisions on players they feel best fits their system.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always felt and said that this team needs to develop good depth. We need players who can come in and contribute right away whether there is an injury situation with a starter. Good depth is also necessary keep your starter fresh through the long season. The Texans with the signing of Ahman Green, Danny Clark, Jordan Black, and Jeff Zgonina have shown that they're building good depth. Nothing that will blow you away but good solid signings that will pay dividends.
Old 03-14-2007   #10
dvs1
Rookie

I like that they are developing our depth, just hope they don't forget to develop our starting lineup too.
dvs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

These are called breather guys. Thomas Johnson needs to come out for a second, in goes Zgonina for one or two plays and Johnson is right back in there.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Hamlin hasn't been signed yet.
really? i thought the Saints had signed him. i wonder if we have enough in the tank to sign him. he is an upgrade for sure, but some would say just a slightly improved version of CC Brown (all rush defense, little to no pass defense)
Old 03-14-2007   #13
TexanRoadrunner
Rookie

Good solid signings that aren't cap killers. Depth is important b/c it does allow you to be flexible with the draft. Hamlin hasn't been signed yet so he is the only guy left that I would be interested in the Texans signing until June cap times. I wanted to see a FA @ WR but now im more inclined to see them draft one possibly 2nd round to get a nice target for whoever the qb is.
Old 03-14-2007   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
really? i thought the Saints had signed him. i wonder if we have enough in the tank to sign him. he is an upgrade for sure, but some would say just a slightly improved version of CC Brown (all rush defense, little to no pass defense)
He visited. I think the Texans want a FS that is closer to a CB than to a SS if they are going to change from who they have.
Old 03-14-2007   #15
real

Quote:
He visited. I think the Texans want a FS that is closer to a CB than to a SS if they are going to change from who they have.
That's why i think they'd be more interested in Nelson than Landry.
Old 03-14-2007   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
yeah and probably a wise plan. last time I checked Manning was still in our division.....
Old 03-14-2007   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
That's why i think they'd be more interested in Nelson than Landry.
yeah but a pass rush is also part of a pass defense. granted, i have only seen mostly highlights of Landry, the highlights I have seen have really shown that he has the ability to hide his blitz and get to the QB and deliver MUCH pain. That is all you have to do against Manning, simple as that, but its just easier said than done.
Old 03-14-2007   #18
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
last time I checked Manning was still in our division.....
Yeah, and now Young too. (I know, I know.....)

I'm happy with what Smith and the gang have done so far. Can't wait for the draft.
Old 03-14-2007   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
yeah and probably a wise plan. last time I checked Manning was still in our division.....
He did say if...

I don't know if the Texans are too concerned about the Safety position.
Old 03-14-2007   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He did say if...

I don't know if the Texans are too concerned about the Safety position.
I hope safety is a concern (however I wish we could get a stud CB to go with D-rob)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read