Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2007   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Excellent job so far by Rick & Gary!

The difference between this offseason and all the previous ones is just phenominal!

So far this is what we have accomplished.

1) Cut some dead weight with Weigert, Payne, & Moulds. With more to come before June 1 for sure (most notably DWilliams).

2) Add 3 solid players at positions of need to MODEST contracts. Green was a little pricey, but not when you consider the money that Henry, TJones, McGahee just got. And can can cut him after 2 years if need be without eating a huge cap number.

3) We resigned our best player to a keep him here permanently.

4) We're postioning ourselves free up cap space for the future.

5) We actually have people guessing and curious about what we are going to do. Sending out mixed signals about Quinn and Carr is BRILLIANT. It will really make teams nervous as the draft approaches and WE WILL get what we want for Carr because of it. And now all of a sudden Quinn's stock is "rising" again. You think that is coincidence? Maybe Cleveland gets nervous and drafts Quinn and we get Peterson. Who knows...

Now if they have another draft like they did last year, and with the money we'll have to spend next offseason to add some key players, I think we're legit PLAYOFF contenders in 2008!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #2
txwooley
Rookie

Default Re: Excellent job so far by Rick & Gary!

I'm not entirely sure what credit/demerits to give to Smith, but I love the direction that Kubes is heading with our team (which is in itself a credit for Smith). Regardless of your thoughts on DC, you must admit that all other aspects of the game have improved exponentially and show signs continuing for at least the next 2-3 years. Kubiac for President!
txwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #3
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
The difference between this offseason and all the previous ones is just phenominal!

1) Cut some dead weight with Weigert, Payne, & Moulds. With more to come before June 1 for sure (most notably DWilliams).

2) Add 3 solid players at positions of need to MODEST contracts. Green was a little pricey, but not when you consider the money that Henry, TJones, McGahee just got. And can can cut him after 2 years if need be without eating a huge cap number.

5) We actually have people guessing and curious about what we are going to do. Sending out mixed signals about Quinn and Carr is BRILLIANT. It will really make teams nervous as the draft approaches and WE WILL get what we want for Carr because of it. And now all of a sudden Quinn's stock is "rising" again. You think that is coincidence? Maybe Cleveland gets nervous and drafts Quinn and we get Peterson. Who knows...

Now if they have another draft like they did last year, and with the money we'll have to spend next offseason to add some key players, I think we're legit PLAYOFF contenders in 2008!
I'm not sure I agree with all of the moves. I like the move to bring in Mario Williams. Everyone probably had a negative reaction at first, but deep down I'm sure a lot of Texans fans are excited about what Super Mario can do in a couple of years.

I'm not thrilled about the Ahman Green signing. $8M is a lot of money for a running back whose best years are behind him. The Texans should have taken a cue from Arizona and Seattle. Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander are good running backs, but they are nothing without their lines. Ahman Green is not in that class anymore.

If Rick Smith had gone out and improved the O-Line by bringing in Eric Steinbach and Luke Petigout I would have been more impressed. Overpaying an aging tailback to run behind a sub-par line is a poor decision. It's much more effective to improve the line and find a young, fast runner in middle rounds of the draft. Any chump in DI-A with 4.30-4.40 speed can get 1,000 yards behind a good offensive line.

www.raisingithigher.blogspot.com
Big Ben Wallets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we were getting rid of dead weight, too til I saw we resigned Breuner.
Old 03-12-2007   #5
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben Wallets View Post
I'm not thrilled about the Ahman Green signing. $8M is a lot of money for a running back whose best years are behind him. The Texans should have taken a cue from Arizona and Seattle. Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander are good running backs, but they are nothing without their lines. Ahman Green is not in that class anymore.

If Rick Smith had gone out and improved the O-Line by bringing in Eric Steinbach and Luke Petigout I would have been more impressed. Overpaying an aging tailback to run behind a sub-par line is a poor decision. It's much more effective to improve the line and find a young, fast runner in middle rounds of the draft. Any chump in DI-A with 4.30-4.40 speed can get 1,000 yards behind a good offensive line.
Chicago 02-06
2246 attempts 8748 yards 3.89

Houston 02-06
2193 attempts 8373 yards 3.81

The Texans have had an above par line and running game ( 04-05 ).

The Seahawks have been in the top half of the league in rushing yards in 6 of the past 7 seasons ( 2002 slipped out ).
Old 03-12-2007   #6
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with all of the moves. I like the move to bring in Mario Williams. Everyone probably had a negative reaction at first, but deep down I'm sure a lot of Texans fans are excited about what Super Mario can do in a couple of years.

Meh, the Ahman Green decision isn't as poor as you make it out to be. Ahman Green is what, a 5 time pro-bowler? He is past his prime, but if he breaks 1000 yards and 8 TD's like you suggested he's capable of in another thread than he's a substantial upgrade at that position for us. He takes good care of his body and likely will have some help carrying the rock this season to keep him fresh.

4 years and 6.5 mil guaranteed is moderately pricey for him, but it doesn't have severe cap implications if he doesn't work out. On the other hand, you suggested we go after Steinbach and Petitgout. Neither of them have ever been to a pro-bowl (may be wrong on Petitgout, but Steinbach hasn't), and Steinbach received a 7 year, 40 some odd million dollar contract nearly equalling the one Steve Hutchinson (the best guard in the NFL) received from the Vikings last year. Are you suggesting slightly overpaying for a 5 time pro-bowler with another couple decent seasons left in him is that much worse than giving an average guard an enormously wealthy and long term contract?

Sorry, your line of thinking is more in line with what got our cap to the state it is in currently (SEE: Todd Wade, Gary Walker, Robaire Smith). I think Rick Smith is doing a great job so far, and I'm excited to see what he can do with our draft.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #7
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Quote:
First, where were we supposed to get the $64 million those 2 guys signed for? And second, Steinbach was WAAAAAYYY overpaid. He's a good player, but he's no Steve Hutchinson...

And I think Green will suprise people. He rushed for over 1,000 and had almost 400 receiving yards last year in only 14 games.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2007   #8
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, they're doing a great job considering the cards they've been dealt. They're bringing in a lot of excitment and optimisim even after one year. If we improve by 2 wins next year to go .500, this board would blow up. I'm excited about the endless possibilities ahead!
BSofA04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post

I think you've given a pretty fair assessment of our situation DBC.

I like the signing of Green. He is getting a little old for a RB but we only need him for about 2 years so he should be fine...his guaranteed money is considerably low compared to the other FA RB's so i'm pleased about that too. Smith did a great job...Green is also a great leader w/ experience. and a real good blocker that will be key.

Love most of the releases that have been made so far and the cap work he's doing. I'd like to see Dayne back and D.D.W. released. I'm perplexed about the whole Moulds situation though.

The FA's we have gotten and probably are going to get aren't the big name big dollar guys. I like that we're getting some solid players for a lot cheaper than we have in the past. they are the perfect guys to have while rebuilding this team. Once they can't play for us anymore we'll have some youth with experience to put in hopefully.

I'm also glad we didn't sign any top guys like clements, steinbech, and Petigout would have all been good here but we can't afford them. he's working with what he's got. getting the guys to fill the foundation for a while and then in the next few years we will be able to get the top FA's because 1) we'll be a better team, so they'd be more attracted and 2) their presence will take us from a .500 team to a division rival. We don't need top $ guys to get us from where we are to .500. We're waiting for the next step.

I'm really looking forward to the draft too. I love that we have no idea what's going on...neither does the nfl. that's how it should be. I like that we're waiting for the right time to deal with carr too.

I find that funny too how Quinn's stock is suddenly going up as well. I think Quinn will be a lot better than most people think he will, but would rather us go a different route on draft day if we have the chance...and i really think we will. our o-line is getting better but i wouldn't want to see quinn behind it on day 1.

People give him a hard time and say he's David Carr II. I think they lose sight in why they think he would be that. If it's because it'd be a lot of wasted talent in the fact that Carr came in and got plummelled every year and is scared $hi*less because of it then yes. Carr was a great quarterback and casserly and capers ruined that. I think our line will continue to get better so if we were to have quinn...he'd at least have a chance...if our line sucked the same...quinn would be hurting too...

We are turning into a respectable team, slowly but surely. We all want these first 5 years to be behind us and to be winners/have everyone respect us, but it doesn't happen overnight. We will get there in time and I think they are doing a good job and making the right moves.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read