Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2007   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default My first thread about VY and MW

I was recently just looking around at our message board and realized that if we would have drafed Vince Young, we wouldn't be worried about going after another QB or the whole Carr deal, along with the draft. If we didn't take Mario Williams we would be looking at guys like Jamaal Anderson and Gaines Adams more, which would take alot of stress/pressure on our front office right now knowing that we have a young gun running the offense and just a few guys we could add through the draft to help with our pass rushing...it kinda makes more sence to me now, why everyone is talking the way they do about the texans...i cant believe it took me a year to figure out...
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My first thread about VY and MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post
I was recently just looking around at our message board and realized that if we would have drafed Vince Young, we wouldn't be worried about going after another QB or the whole Carr deal, along with the draft. If we didn't take Mario Williams we would be looking at guys like Jamaal Anderson and Gaines Adams more, which would take alot of stress/pressure on our front office right now knowing that we have a young gun running the offense and just a few guys we could add through the draft to help with our pass rushing...it kinda makes more sence to me now, why everyone is talking the way they do about the texans...i cant believe it took me a year to figure out...
If we had taken Vince Young last year, everyone would have called us idiots and that we were pandering to our local fans instead of trying to build a good football team. I don't know if Vince is as successful on our team as he was on the Texans. He might have been but I think it would have taken him a lot more time to acclimate. He's definitely not the ROY if we draft him.

It really never was about MW or VY except in the minds of local fans who thought it would be cool to have a home-town boy come in and save the team. It was always about MW or RB.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #3
baba ganoush
Veteran

im sorta happy that it worked out the way it did cause now we can shoot for Kevin Kolb!!!!!!!!!!
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #4
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't know if Vince is as successful on our team as he was on the Texans.
Don't you mean 'Titans'?

Quote:
He might have been but I think it would have taken him a lot more time to acclimate. He's definitely not the ROY if we draft him
The Titans did start the year 0-5 without Young.

P.S I think we made the right choice in taking Mario Williams. He's going to be a beast.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #5
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
If we had taken Vince Young last year, everyone would have called us idiots and that we were pandering to our local fans instead of trying to build a good football team. I don't know if Vince is as successful on our team as he was on the Texans. He might have been but I think it would have taken him a lot more time to acclimate. He's definitely not the ROY if we draft him.

It really never was about MW or VY except in the minds of local fans who thought it would be cool to have a home-town boy come in and save the team. It was always about MW or RB.
Thats BS, Vince would have done well in any system. He was the best athlete, hands down, even with Reggie in the draft last year. Being a hometown guy was an excuse not to take him. Every football player dreams to play for his hometown professional team. VY will represent any team he plays for well, even the Houston Titans.
Old 03-12-2007   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm over the Vy thing, but honestly. If the F.O. didn't give Young a serious once over, then they're idio2s. If they looked at him, and said, "eh, he'll never make it in this league" then they're idio2s. If they looked at him & said, "Man if we weren't committed to developing Carr, I'd take that guy in a heartbeat." Then I can completely understand where they are coming from.

I really am surprised that the optomism about David has changed so much in such a short time. I don't know how anyone could look at him over the last two years, and not understand they'll need to start over completely with him, meaning it will take him at least two years to get his head out of his arse.

I mean I was optomistic, and hoped that David would have stepped up to the challenge, answered the call, and started gaming around week 9 or 10... but realistically, I knew it was a reach.

But so what, we didn't draft Peyton, we didn't draft Palmer. We didn't draft Brees, and we didn't draft Marc Bulger... boo hoo. There will be others, and we'll have our opportunities to aquire & develop special QBs.

We're going to win some games... we're going to get into the playoffs, and before you know it, we're going to bring a SuperBowl to Houston. Where VinceYoung plays, and the success/failure of his carreer won't have any effect on that.
Old 03-12-2007   #7
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutxn View Post
Thats BS, Vince would have done well in any system. He was the best athlete, hands down, even with Reggie in the draft last year. Being a hometown guy was an excuse not to take him. Every football player dreams to play for his hometown professional team. VY will represent any team he plays for well, even the Houston Titans.

No........................I don't think so. His athleticism can't compare to Mario's.
Old 03-12-2007   #8
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Same thing with the the Raiders. If they would have taken Leinart instead of Huff last year, then they would have been in a position to Take Calvin Johnson. Now they're confused on who to take this year.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #9
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post
I...recently...realized that if we would have drafed Vince Young, we wouldn't be worried about going after another QB
Wow!
Old 03-12-2007   #10
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
UH?
Old 03-12-2007   #11
txwooley
Rookie

His athleticism can't compare to Mario's

I whole heartedly agree. VY is a great athlete, but because of his position he garners more attention than exceptional athletes playing less high profile positions. VY is better than RB, but MW is better than VY in their respective positions.
txwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #12
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans View Post
No........................I don't think so. His athleticism can't compare to Mario's.
Yes it can. He's faster, quicker. Only thing Mario has on him is 2 inches and more weight room. Vince definitely has as much raw athleticism as mario.
Old 03-12-2007   #13
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Eh, it goes both ways Baba. If we'd taken VY, we wouldn't need a QB and would look harder at DE's in the first. We took MW, so we're not looking as hard at DE's in the first but are looking at QB's. It's just flipping which year's you look for what.

And I have to agree with tack on the athleticism. Strictly by combine numbers, Mario's more impressive IMO, but when they put pads on Young's size/athleticism combo is peerless at the QB position.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read