Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-12-2007   #1
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie

Default Trade Idea: Cedric Benson for No. 8 Pick

Hello Bears fan again. The Bears board is pretty lame right about now, considering we have a low 1st round pick. So I've been checking out other teams boards lately...

What do you guys think about trading the No. 8 overall pick for Cedric Benson? I'm posing this question because the Bears board is split 50:50 on whether Benson is a legit big-time back or just another chump. I personally think Ced has a huge upside, but my fellow Bears fans would rather have kept Thomas Jones. Since you guys watch Texas football and know more about Cedric, I'll pose this question for debate.

So whatcha think? Ahman Green is definitely not a long-term answer... so how would you feel about bringing home one of Midland's finest? Would you do this trade, or take your chances in this year's draft? Sorry btw if this is in the wrong forum.

www.raisingithigher.blogspot.com
Big Ben Wallets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Trade Idea: Cedric Benson for No. 8 Pick

not no, but he!! no.
Old 03-12-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

As a general rule, "experienced" backs go for less in trade market than any other position. You'd have been better off trading him when he was drafted
Old 03-12-2007   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

CRAZY!!!!

No way do we part with #8 for Benson. If you guys aren't sold on him no way is he worth the 8 pick.

Green may not be the long term answer but we have a (long) shot at AD and there are people around here that swear that Chris Taylor is the second coming.

We have bigger fish to fry than RB in this years draft and that #8 is vital to the future of the team.
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #5
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie

I personally think Cedric Benson would excel in a zone blocking system. He's a one cut back with enough moves to lose defenders and doesn't dance around in the backfield.

The Bears are using him all wrong, just ramming him up the middle into the teeth of the defense like a battering ram. Benson is 5-11 220lbs, way too small to be doing that full time.

I like Benson, but I think he's the wrong fit for our system. We need a Jerome Bettis type for our power running game. If he played in the Texans system, I think he could stay healthy and put up 1,800 yards a season. He runs North-South as well as anyone in the league.

Old 03-12-2007   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

You guys should have gotten rid of Benson before you did Jones.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #7
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

So you guys draft Benson #4 overall 2 years ago. He's had attitude and worth ethic problems every since and couldn't even beat out journeyman RB Thomas Jones for the starting gig.

And now you think he's worth the #8 overall pick this year?

No offense man, but you are a
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2007   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

How 'bout I'll give you David Carr... which Technically is like a first round pick... a #1 overall even, for Cedric Straight up.

Seems pretty fair to me.... you get a QB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.

We get a RB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.
Old 03-12-2007   #9
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

You can keep him!! <ducking thrown bottles from TSippers>
Old 03-12-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How 'bout I'll give you David Carr... which Technically is like a first round pick... a #1 overall even, for Cedric Straight up.

Seems pretty fair to me.... you get a QB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.

We get a RB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.
SOLD!
Old 03-12-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben Wallets View Post
Hello Bears fan again. The Bears board is pretty lame right about now, considering we have a low 1st round pick. So I've been checking out other teams boards lately...

What do you guys think about trading the No. 8 overall pick for Cedric Benson? I'm posing this question because the Bears board is split 50:50 on whether Benson is a legit big-time back or just another chump. I personally think Ced has a huge upside, but my fellow Bears fans would rather have kept Thomas Jones. Since you guys watch Texas football and know more about Cedric, I'll pose this question for debate.

So whatcha think? Ahman Green is definitely not a long-term answer... so how would you feel about bringing home one of Midland's finest? Would you do this trade, or take your chances in this year's draft? Sorry btw if this is in the wrong forum.
Yes let's give you our #8 overall pick for somebody you're not sure if is your long term back.

Give us Muhammad, Benson, and a 3rd round pick next year and we may have a deal.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe a fourth round pick for benson no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #13
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Yes let's give you our #8 overall pick for somebody you're not sure if is your long term back.

Give us Muhammad, Benson, and a 3rd round pick next year and we may have a deal.
Let them keep Muhammad... Give us Berrian, Vasher, Benson, and next years 2nd & 3rd for our #8, and David Carr.
Old 03-12-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've really been surprised about how your players all seem to want Jones while your FO seems to be firmly behind Benson. I think Benson could be a monster in the right system but... I don't think he's right for you guys. Which is why I find your FO stance so confusing.

With that said, I don't think Benson is worth a first rounder let alone a top 10 first rounder. Right now, I've got fears about his work ethic and his durability. I think even a 2nd rounder would be a stretch although you might find some people who'd go for it. Especially the UT fans.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL... I have a buddy of mine that lives in Chicago, about half way through the season had suggested a straight up trade: Carr for Benson... I told him then I would have jumped all over it.... At that time Carr's stats (smoke and mirrors - or whatever) looked decent and his (my friend's) perception was that Carr was having a good season, and Grossman couldn't get them thought the first round of the play-offs....

Lessons for him: a) Sometimes it is better to stand pat.... b) be carefull for what you wish for...
Old 03-12-2007   #16
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Benson for the #8 pick.....of the 3rd round
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #17
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
So you guys draft Benson #4 overall 2 years ago. He's had attitude and worth ethic problems every since and couldn't even beat out journeyman RB Thomas Jones for the starting gig.

And now you think he's worth the #8 overall pick this year?

No offense man, but you are a
Well I was just posting it hypothetically...considering this year's running back crop is pretty weak. The reason I brought it up is because the Texans signed Ahman Green for 4yrs $23M. I know for a fact Ahman, at age 30, is out of gas. His greatest season was three years ago (1,800 yds 20+ TDs) when Brett Favre could still play, the Packers had Javon Walker and Donald Driver and the Green Bay line was stacked (Clifton, Wahle, Flanagan, Rivera, Tauscher). They had the best line in the league.

I know you guys passed on Reggie Bush last year because Domanick Williams looked like a franchise-back before the injury, but Adrian Peterson is not going to last until the 8th pick. There's also no offensive lineman really worth the 8th pick, unless Joe Thomas falls. Soooo with that in mind....

Considering that running back was a pressing need going into the off-season, do you guys think if the Texans traded their 8th pick for Benson, and invested some of that Ahman Green money into Eric Steinbach or Derrick Dockery... would they be better off? Houston would have a potential 1,800 yard running back and an improved O-Line. That's a pretty inviting situation for any new QB they decide to bring in right? Well at least its better than Ahman Green and Levi Brown in my mind.

Old 03-12-2007   #18
real

Any way you slice it, Benson for the 8th overall is a terrible deal for us.
Old 03-12-2007   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
You can keep him!! <ducking thrown bottles from TSippers>
Blu,

You're on your own today. I have already taken an unnecessary Arse whoopin' this morning.
Old 03-12-2007   #20
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

No, No, and No
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read