Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DD/DW and the cap

Bubbajwp

All Flopper
What if he isnt able to play this year or ever again? But he doesnt retire. Is there a way to get him off our cap? Can he just keep saying that he is planning on coming back to play next year? Does he come off of our cap if a doctor says he can never play again?

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I don't think there is any way to get rid of his pro-rated bonus. If they'd simply cut him there would be no salary to pay. An injury sttlement would be a few hundred thousand. That is what we'll probably see.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Theoretically if he was injured could he just linger around permanently?
He could keep drawing his salary unless the Texans took action. The injury sttlement is one time and not much compared to a year's salary. I think, but don't remember for sure, that Todd Wade's injury settlement was $250K, which paled in comparison to his bonus and salary.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
That is a very good question. I would hope that DW would be man enough to go ahead and retire instead of doing something like that.

That is a very good question. I would hope that DW would be man enough to go ahead and retire instead of doing something like that.
If you were injured on the job would you "be man enough" to walk away from millions of dollars your employer owes you?

texman8

Waterboy
If you were injured on the job would you "be man enough" to walk away from millions of dollars your employer owes you?
The only money guaranteed is DW's signing bonus. Texans have been more generous considering he drew his 2006 salary while on injured reserved. HE will probably be a June 1 cut casulty.

Koolaid Time

Drink Up!
If you look on the "Cap Sticky" DD/DW counts over 4 million for both this year and next year.

He is in the same physical condition he was in last year. He is not going to get any better. He won't ever play again-- for anyone.

('m just waiting for someone to write "give him a chance to recover")

The Texans screwed up big time by NOT resolving this problem LAST YEAR

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
('m just waiting for someone to write "give him a chance to recover")
LAST YEAR
LOL.... I have already seen that in another thread..

Folks... DD/DW has bone on bone in his knee... We do not miraculously grow cartiledge back... What he has is a degenerative condition - meaning it WON"T get better, it will only get worse... See Jeff Bagwell's shoulder.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Here is where Txas_Chick could add valuable insider info if she has any on what they might do with DD/DW.

I do not care what the cap hit is (for the most part) , get it off the books now not later. I would like to see the Texans having all kind of room with cap money in the coming years.

LOL.... I have already seen that in another thread..

Folks... DD/DW has bone on bone in his knee... We do not miraculously grow cartiledge back... What he has is a degenerative condition - meaning it WON"T get better, it will only get worse... See Jeff Bagwell's shoulder.
Amen to that, he is truely done, so at least we will not see any D. williams jersey's out for sale.........