Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2007   #1
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie

Default David Carr Scouting Report

Hello Bears fan here. I haven't seen too many Texans games over the years, because, quite frankly, they are never on national TV. But I'm hearing rumors that the front office wants to trade Carr. I know his development has plateaued recently...

but my question is, isn't Carr better than everything else on the market? I seriously thought Carr would fit perfectly into Gary Kubiak's West Coast offense. Am I way off base, but doesn't Carr have good mobility, which is a prerequisite in the Denver style of offense?

Anyways can somebody give me a quick scouting report on Carr. What are some of his strengths and weaknesses, and more importantly, why is Houston convinced he's not a franchise QB? Thanks.

www.raisingithigher.blogspot.com
Big Ben Wallets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: David Carr Scouting Report

To put it in simple words, how about a trade?

Rex Grossman for David Carr straight up.

No i'm kidding.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

He's the next best thing after Peyton/Brady imo. Prolly better behind the Bears ol.

If the Bears were smart they'd give up their entire draft and half their starting defense to get this gem.
Old 03-11-2007   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha look at any thread on this entire messageboard and i guarantee you'll see some scouting reports of Carr.

Heres the quick rundown:

The Good: Carr is a nice person with good morals who doesn't get into trouble. He gets sacked a lot and keeps on playing. He's tough. He has a great QB physique, meaning he's strong, tall, and can throw the ball a long way. He is quick on his feet, and when he decides to run, he can get big chunks of yards. He is very accurate within 10 yards of the LOS, completing 70% of his passes. He is careful about throwing interceptions, and doesn't make risky throws, thus protecting the ball.

The Bad:
Carr loses a lot of his accuracy on deep balls, and is afraid to throw over the middle. He doesn't feel pressure in the pocket well, and instead of stepping up to avoid the edge rushers he runs out of the pocket. He often forgets to throw the ball away and runs out of bounds or takes the sack. He picks the receiver he is going to throw to, locks on, and has trouble looking anwywhere else. He is not a leader in the lockeroom. He has become used to losing, and it doesnt bother him anymore.

The Ugly- He has horrible footwork, that is so bad he tripped over his own OL at least 3-5 times this year. he cannot hang on to the ball when being sacked, and fumbled an incredible amount this year. He is so shell shocked from being sacked that sometimes if a big DL breaks the LOS, he crumples to the ground and gets into the fetal position BEFORE the guy even gets close to him. He is terrible in the red zone, throwing for only 11 TDs the entire year. He is so careful with the football that he won't throw it into coverage unless he absoultely has to. As such, 99% of his passes are within 5 yards of the LOS.

Basically, Carr has a lot of talent and God given ability, but has been developed so poorly that he will never utilize it. He is not a winner at heart, and despite his great image and morals, he cannot lead this football team because they don't believe in him. The coach doesn't trust him, and Carr doesn't trust himself.
Old 03-11-2007   #5
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Haha look at any thread on this entire messageboard and i guarantee you'll see some scouting reports of Carr.

Heres the quick rundown:

The Good: Carr is a nice person with good morals who doesn't get into trouble. He gets sacked a lot and keeps on playing. He's tough. He has a great QB physique, meaning he's strong, tall, and can throw the ball a long way. He is quick on his feet, and when he decides to run, he can get big chunks of yards. He is very accurate within 10 yards of the LOS, completing 70% of his passes. He is careful about throwing interceptions, and doesn't make risky throws, thus protecting the ball.

The Bad:
Carr loses a lot of his accuracy on deep balls, and is afraid to throw over the middle. He doesn't feel pressure in the pocket well, and instead of stepping up to avoid the edge rushers he runs out of the pocket. He often forgets to throw the ball away and runs out of bounds or takes the sack. He picks the receiver he is going to throw to, locks on, and has trouble looking anwywhere else. He is not a leader in the lockeroom. He has become used to losing, and it doesnt bother him anymore.

The Ugly- He has horrible footwork, that is so bad he tripped over his own OL at least 3-5 times this year. he cannot hang on to the ball when being sacked, and fumbled an incredible amount this year. He is so shell shocked from being sacked that sometimes if a big DL breaks the LOS, he crumples to the ground and gets into the fetal position BEFORE the guy even gets close to him. He is terrible in the red zone, throwing for only 11 TDs the entire year. He is so careful with the football that he won't throw it into coverage unless he absoultely has to. As such, 99% of his passes are within 5 yards of the LOS.

Basically, Carr has a lot of talent and God given ability, but has been developed so poorly that he will never utilize it. He is not a winner at heart, and despite his great image and morals, he cannot lead this football team because they don't believe in him.
Thanks for the honest assessment. From what I see he has a huge arm and good accuracy. Well, at least that's the impression I got from playing fantasy football. For some reason it seems whenever Carr's about to break out, he takes a couple steps back. Like he'll string together a couple of great games with no bone-headed mistakes (INTs, TOs), then the next week he gets yanked for the backup. I'm so confused.

Anyways we have our hands full in Chicago with FedRex. When he throws the ball we have no idea where it is going. Plus he can't move laterally in the face of a rush, only straight back. It's depressing, but at least our defense is alright.

Good luck with the Carr thing, I hope he gets another shot. You're right, he had some bad coaching because the same guy who ruined Tim Couch's career almost ruined Carr's. I'm talking about Chris Palmer. Who in their right mind installs a vertical passing offense on an expansion team?

Old 03-11-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben Wallets View Post
Hello Bears fan here. I haven't seen too many Texans games over the years, because, quite frankly, they are never on national TV. But I'm hearing rumors that the front office wants to trade Carr. I know his development has plateaued recently...

but my question is, isn't Carr better than everything else on the market? I seriously thought Carr would fit perfectly into Gary Kubiak's West Coast offense. Am I way off base, but doesn't Carr have good mobility, which is a prerequisite in the Denver style of offense?

Anyways can somebody give me a quick scouting report on Carr. What are some of his strengths and weaknesses, and more importantly, why is Houston convinced he's not a franchise QB? Thanks.
He'd be an upgrade over Rex if that is what you're sniffing around the edges about. Look go to the search thread tools above and punch up David Carr. Don't have to check them all out . But look at the number and size of them. He has had a lack of progression for sure. Coupled with the fact the franchise passed over Reggie Bush and the Local favorite.... and some folks went balistic and have lost all hope of ever redeeming him.

Breif synopsis. He's Steve Young lite. He needs a change of senery and a decent , not great, offensive line. He's been sacked and banged so much over the last five years he's hearing foot steps now when there are none there. The New England game last year was the abysis. Just go read the game day log on NFL.com. I thought Kubes was going to have a stroke right there on the sidelines. MHO, someone is going to scrap him off the waiver pile and end up with a gem in a couple of years. I wouldn't at all be shocked if David Carr makes the super bowl befor the Texans do.
Old 03-11-2007   #7
texansfan1974
Veteran

Quote:

Heres the quick rundown:

The Bad:

Basically, Carr has a lot of talent and God given ability, but has been developed so poorly that he will never utilize it. He is not a winner at heart, and despite his great image and morals, he cannot lead this football team because they don't believe in him. The coach doesn't trust him, and Carr doesn't trust himself.
I agree, no one has said it better about DC. The only thing I disagree with is that "he is not a winner at heart". I feel he could be a winner and lead a team to the promise land. Just not here in Houston and he needs to trust himself. I know that will be hard to do, but I do wish him luck if he stays here or were ever he goes.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2007   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Heres the quick rundown:

The Bad:

I'd say that is a very fare assessment on Carr. I loved the good, the bad, and the ugle titles...

but gtexan you forgot one thing and this is very important. Carr sometimes has this mindset that he doesn't have to abide by ALL the rules. For example one game (i forget which one..?) Carr was penalized twice...for throwing the ball when he was past the line of scrimmage.

Now I can undestand doing that once..and you're like aah i can't believe i did that..because he was pressured so much...but if i did it again..in the same game! i'd be like....ahh i can't believe i'm really that retarded!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh sorry about Rex Grossman by the way. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything at all, but he's one of my least favorite players..well qb's.

I think if y'all somehow got Eli Manning...the Bears would be my favorite NFC team hands down and probably my 2nd fav. team overall. David Carr could do well there maybe...i'd like to see him go to a good team.

How bout a trade of David Carr for Muhsin Muhammid? Y'all need a better QB (carr's better imo but not everyones!) and we need a #2 receiver.
Old 03-11-2007   #10
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I think your overall impression is accurate - he is better than anyone else on the market (unless you count Matt Schaub as "on the market").

His footwork is good in practice, but when he gets in the game, he panics and forgets everything. He has the ability to be mobile, and can scramble for first downs. But he has trouble (mentally, I think) moving around in the pocket.

The Bears are a strong team, and I honestly think David needs a strong team around him to be successful. Unlike Rex, he doesn't risk a lot of interceptions, so I don't see the Bears winning in spite of David like they did with Rex at the end of the 2006 season. He could settle comfortably as a "game manager" quarterback. He has fumbled a lot for the Texans, but I don't necessarily see that problem moving with him to a new team.
Old 03-11-2007   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Check out my blog for the latest news & insight on your favorite teams

Moss for Carr? Wow, I've never thought of that.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan1974 View Post
I agree, no one has said it better about DC. The only thing I disagree with is that "he is not a winner at heart". I feel he could be a winner and lead a team to the promise land. Just not here in Houston and he needs to trust himself. I know that will be hard to do, but I do wish him luck if he stays here or were ever he goes.
True. he's been conditioned to be a loser though. And through no fault of his own. don't get me wrong. If you lose for 5 straight years, and get angry and upset each time, you'd be in for your 2nd heart operation by now. If you are on a losing team for years, its imopssible not to get a little used to it. Thats why he needs a change of scenery
Old 03-11-2007   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:

I think there is another reason Carr would do well with the Bears and that's because of a certain WR by the name of Berrian. Carr and Berrian were an unbelieveable combination in college. They knew each other like the backs of their hands. They had confidence in each other and I would love to see the two reunited. I would call that the x-factor in a trade regarding Carr going to the Bears. In Carr's senior year Berrian caught 1 out 4 passes thrown by Carr. That's how important a relationship it was.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #14
texansfan1974
Veteran

I honestly feel Carr could do well in the windy city. He plays tough physically, which would be a perfect fit DA BEARS.
Old 03-11-2007   #15
Big Ben Wallets
Rookie

Rex Grossman for David Carr works for us. Bears fans know very little about David Carr, other than he gets sacked an awful lot. If we traded for him a lot of fans would be very optimistic at first.

I think Rex needs a new home. Every day in Chicago the fans rip him a new one. Each city could solve the other's problem because Bears fans aren't familiar with Carr and Texans fans aren't familiar with Sexy Rexy. You guys might even be optimistic that you've acquired a Super Bowl QB...

At least until Grossman drops back and then you'll have no clue where the ball is going to go.

Old 03-11-2007   #16
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Thanks for the honest assessment. From what I see he has a huge arm and good accuracy. Well, at least that's the impression I got from playing fantasy football. For some reason it seems whenever Carr's about to break out, he takes a couple steps back. Like he'll string together a couple of great games with no bone-headed mistakes (INTs, TOs), then the next week he gets yanked for the backup. I'm so confused.

So. From the information you posted in your blog, all of the talk around here about Quinn being there at #8 is academic. He won't be. So let's see....

1. No BQ
2. No Russell
3. Plummer? (retired)

Yeah we've got to cut Carr and go with Rosenfels or Van Pelt. That's the ticket.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Rex Grossman for David Carr works for us. Bears fans know very little about David Carr, other than he gets sacked an awful lot. If we traded for him a lot of fans would be very optimistic at first.

I think Rex needs a new home. Every day in Chicago the fans rip him a new one. Each city could solve the other's problem because Bears fans aren't familiar with Carr and Texans fans aren't familiar with Sexy Rexy. You guys might even be optimistic that you've acquired a Super Bowl QB...

At least until Grossman drops back and then you'll have no clue where the ball is going to go.
at least he throws it past the LOS
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I actually would really want Carr to go to Chicago. Look around this MB and you'll see a lot of Carr haters or Carr lovers. I just says it as I sees it.

Carr is one of THE toughest QB's you'll ever see. Everyone talks about him getting sacked..whether it's his fault or the lines. But Carr gets up every single time. I would think just about any othe quarterback would have said f this and demanded a trade (of course he's getting paid royally). Any other quarterback would have been injured by now.

I think he missed 4 games in 2003 because of injury but other than that he has played in every single game. Tough dude that would fit perfect in Chicago...they are by far the Toughest team.
Old 03-11-2007   #19
Tayton
Veteran

No one here wants Grossman, thanks. Carr is a different type of QB. Grossman throws the ball down the field alot more than Carr. Carr checks down, ALOT. He doesn't throw alot of interceptions but also doesn't make alot of plays. He takes very few chances where Grossman "chucks" the ball up and hopes a WR runs under it. In his defense Carr has never had a receiver that will go up and "take" the ball or make a tough catch (AJ included) Not too make any excuses but he tends to try to take sure things which makes him boring and predictable. Like Grossman I wonder about his football sense. I have never seen a QB throw the ball away after going across the line of scrimmage, last year Carr did it twice. Overall he is damaged goods, hopefully not too damaged.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #20
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayton View Post
No one here wants Grossman, thanks. Carr is a different type of QB. Grossman throws the ball down the field alot more than Carr. Carr checks down, ALOT. He doesn't throw alot of interceptions but also doesn't make alot of plays. He takes very few chances where Grossman "chucks" the ball up and hopes a WR runs under it. In his defense Carr has never had a receiver that will go up and "take" the ball or make a tough catch (AJ included) Not too make any excuses but he tends to try to take sure things which makes him boring and predictable. Like Grossman I wonder about his football sense. I have never seen a QB throw the ball away after going across the line of scrimmage, last year Carr did it twice. Overall he is damaged goods, hopefully not too damaged.
Timmy Chang should be available. What about Chance Mock? Shaun King just had 10 TDs in the Arena League. Let's hit these guys up.

No, i'm kidding.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read