Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2007   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What about giving DC one more year if......

we keep our 8th and take Landry. It's obvious no one's offering enough to trade him so why not throw him back in for a year. I could stand one more year if we draft Landry, work on improving the OL and DL and see what happens. We need to remember we had a lot of injuries last year. If we can just put Carr out of our minds, then we can concentrate on LANDRY, a wideout, possibly a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. Think about our D with a healthy Williams, Ryans in the middle and Landry patrolling the secondary. Now that is getting somewhere. Now resign Dayne to tag team with Green and all Carr has to do is handoff and throw a few passes. And if Carr still doesn't get it, throw Sage in.

I know, I know.......still a genius!!!!!!!

prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What about giving DC one more year if......

um . . . .NO!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

how about we get a qb in the mid rounds and groom him and get another mid round pick for carr.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #4
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, here's the breakdown on Landry. He's the real deal....

Evenly proportioned athlete with prototype size for the position (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) … Four-year starter on a very talented LSU defense. Missed no games due to injury … Intelligent, experienced safety … Understands his role as the last line of defense and takes proper angles to the ball … Reliable open-field tackler and has the ability to be a punishing hitter in the middle … Good speed and quickness in man coverage … Has the size to play aggressively with tight ends and yet has the athleticism to keep tight coverage with slot receivers … Might be at his best in zone coverage due to his heady play and ability to drive on the ball … Good hands and is a natural runner with the ball in his hands … Aggressive yet disciplined in supporting against the run … Willing to take on blocks and can defeat due to his athleticism … High character player.

We need this guy worse than we need to move Carr this year. In case anyone hasn't figured it out, we are not going to the Super Bowl next year so why not build this team the right way.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
we keep our 8th and take Landry. It's obvious no one's offering enough to trade him so why not throw him back in for a year. I could stand one more year if we draft Landry, work on improving the OL and DL and see what happens. We need to remember we had a lot of injuries last year. If we can just put Carr out of our minds, then we can concentrate on LANDRY, a wideout, possibly a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. Think about our D with a healthy Williams, Ryans in the middle and Landry patrolling the secondary. Now that is getting somewhere. Now resign Dayne to tag team with Green and all Carr has to do is handoff and throw a few passes. And if Carr still doesn't get it, throw Sage in.

I don't have a problem using our #8 to pick Landry, and I don't have a problem with Carr being on this team.

But there is no way in all get out he should be starting. I don't care how much money we pay him. That's irrelevant. If he's back there, and he gets sacked, we'll blame the lines fault, even if David pulls down a ball he should have thrown. Even if he runs into a defender, even if he slides & impairs the LTs ability to block(because the LT can't see David).

We need to work on our team, not our QB. Once we see what the rest of the team can do, If Sage gets hurt, or if our coaches think David needs to be in there..... that's fine. But we need to let the rest of the team grow.
Old 03-11-2007   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Ok, here's the breakdown on Landry. He's the real deal....

Evenly proportioned athlete with prototype size for the position (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) … Four-year starter on a very talented LSU defense. Missed no games due to injury … Intelligent, experienced safety … Understands his role as the last line of defense and takes proper angles to the ball … Reliable open-field tackler and has the ability to be a punishing hitter in the middle … Good speed and quickness in man coverage … Has the size to play aggressively with tight ends and yet has the athleticism to keep tight coverage with slot receivers … Might be at his best in zone coverage due to his heady play and ability to drive on the ball … Good hands and is a natural runner with the ball in his hands … Aggressive yet disciplined in supporting against the run … Willing to take on blocks and can defeat due to his athleticism … High character player.

We need this guy worse than we need to move Carr this year. In case anyone hasn't figured it out, we are not going to the Super Bowl next year so why not build this team the right way.

the guy has all the tools but did it list any weaknesses in his game?

he is probably one of the better safety prospects since Troy and Taylor, of that there is no doubt. But I just don't know if he is worth the #8 pick. he is a safety for crying out loud. even polamula (sic) type safeties fall into the mid and late 1st Round. What has drafting roy williams and sean taylor done for the Cowboys and Redskins respectively? 1st Round is just too early. We need to take the best QB or DL available at #8 because that is where the real value is in this draft in the Top10. We should be able to have our choice between Quinn, Branch, or Adams at #8.....that is shaping up really well

lets pick up a safety in the 3rd Round and spend our 2nd Round on the CB or OL position...preferably the CB

i just dont see the wow factor for Landry and if you are a safety and want to be drafted #8 you better have a wow factor ala Taylor and Williams....and even then its not guaranteed to work out
Old 03-11-2007   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't understand continuous threads on this subject. Seriously, you just run out of things to say sometimes. I also don't understand why anyone would rationally want Carr on this team, especially as a back-up..sorry TK.

You have management trying to trade him, you have players not wanting him here and if you keep him you will have another 12 months of controversy over who starts, who had a bad game, "see the other guys isn't as good," and the same black cloud. There is no way to explain how that can be healthy for a team. None. People are masochists id they want another year of this.

As for the pick, I'm all for the safety if he is the best guy out there. I'd rather take him and take a 2nd and 3rd round QB than take Quinn that high. JMO.
Old 03-11-2007   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

How does Landry make Carr play better..?
Old 03-11-2007   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I really don't understand continuous threads on this subject. Seriously, you just run out of things to say sometimes. I also don't understand why anyone would rationally want Carr on this team, especially as a back-up..sorry TK.

JMO.
I don't mind, & I want are totally different things.

If McNair's man love prevents this team from cutting David, or from accepting a 4th... or a 5th in return... then hey... what can you do.

I don't want him on this team. I think a back-up should be a starter waiting to get his opportunity. David has had plenty of opportunity.
Old 03-11-2007   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't mind, & I want are totally different things.

If McNair's man love prevents this team from cutting David, or from accepting a 4th... or a 5th in return... then hey... what can you do.

I don't want him on this team. I think a back-up should be a starter waiting to get his opportunity. David has had plenty of opportunity.
I know where you stand on it and understand. Thus the disclaimer..lol. I'd take the 4th or 5th and run. It is time to concentrate elsewhere.
Old 03-11-2007   #11
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
What about giving DC one more year if......
I don't know. I understand the argument but the fans are SO ready for a change. Now if he started and did great that would be fantastic. But history says otherwise. And I think.....no, I know, that Kubiak will pull him if need be. Thank you Lord.

But I'd worry that if Carr was the starter and had yet another year of the same-ole, same-ole......I think the boos would be so loud and violent that the building may fall down. But hey, at least we'd get some TV coverage!
Old 03-11-2007   #12
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

I would love having Landry but it is definitely time for a change of scenery at QB.
Old 03-11-2007   #13
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

yes another year of mediocre QB play im all for it.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
As for the pick, I'm all for the safety if he is the best guy out there. I'd rather take him and take a 2nd and 3rd round QB than take Quinn that high. JMO.
I understand the rationale, I just feel its a 'take Quinn that low' deal. It would be similar to the Cardinals getting Leinart later in the 1st Round last year. He was a high value pick where they were last year just like we would be if he is sitting there at #8. QB is the most important position in football and top prospects are very scarce. I just feel Quinn would be the BPA at #8 for the Texans unless CJ, AP, or Thomas fall (which aint happenin). I think he has the 4th most value in this draft even ahead of Russell. JMO of course.

at the end of the day if Quinn is there at #8 he will be a Texan for better or worse.
Old 03-11-2007   #15
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Even though I dread the thought, I'm pretty sure that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

Because I've said all I can say about DC, I figure I'll just recyle one of my old posts. Here's one about his inconsistant play and good defenses.

"Would a new QB really make a difference."
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

i just dont see the wow factor for Landry and if you are a safety and want to be drafted #8 you better have a wow factor ala Taylor and Williams....and even then its not guaranteed to work out
Check this out Honeymoon. Just a few examples of what he is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R211e6JdVew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-zuQOtEu4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

I am bouncing back and forth between Landry and D-Line. Landry could change the tone of the Defense.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #17
t_flare
Veteran

all i have to say is.. u went 7-9 two year ago and 6-10 this year with Carr.. with a upgrade in talent around him.. he can go probably 8-8 or 9-7... would you be happy with that?
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #18
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:

Yeah, let's keep him. I've always wanted to know what it feels like to support a team that never makes it to the playoffs once in franchise history.
Old 03-11-2007   #19
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_flare View Post
all i have to say is.. u went 7-9 two year ago and 6-10 this year with Carr.. with a upgrade in talent around him.. he can go probably 8-8 or 9-7... would you be happy with that?
No we won't! DC hears footsteps in his head when he's on the football field. He sees big people too, even when they're not there.
Old 03-11-2007   #20
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Quote:

I am NO fan of Carr, but I do agree with you here. I am willing to give him just ONE MORE YEAR, maybe even a half. We really need secondary help, and Landry will provide just that. When the second round comes, you have a boatload of DL & WR you could take for good value. With all of the decent QBs gone (except for Trent Green), I actually wouldn't mind that. However, there are 3 things: 1. Make him COMPETE for the starting job 2. If he sucks at the end or even in the middle of the season bench his (well you know)! 3. If we can get Trent Green, bye bye Carr!
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read