Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why is everyone so angry at the media regarding the Williams pick?

I don't get it. I mean, we did screw up last year. The media reports the current opinion, and the current opinion is that we messed up. Heres the deal:

We go into 2006 draft saying we don't need a QB.
We pass on Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler (3 QBs with grat potential)
We say Carr is QB of the future and our franchise guy
Carr plays horribly all year, our offense is terrible.
Vince leads the Titans to a crazy comeback year, Matt and Cutler show promise, and we are now shopping Carr for a 4th round pick.
And to top it all off, we are considering starting a career backup or drafting Quinn

Doesn't that warrant some, "oops, they messed up!" talk?

Even if that doesn't, we go into 2006 saying we are set with our halfback situation because we have DD.
Even without him, we claim that Kubiak's system can make a 1000 yard rusher out of anyone.
The first half of the season our running game goes nowhwere
Our 2006 HB pick, Lundy, struggles in every game not during the preseason
First move we make in 2007 free agency is to sign an over 30 back, Ahman Green
And to top it all off, for the latter half of the season, Bush breaks out of his funk and starts playing like the guy everyone thought he was going to be. And the Saints go deep into the NFC playoffs.

And even if both of those don't, we ended up drafting Mario Williams, the next Julius Peppers to fix our pass rush.
The first part of the season he was invisible
He then starts to get going, only to sort of disapear as the year progressed
And to top it all off, we cite pass rush as one of our biggest needs AGAIN this offseason

So doesn't that warrant some, "oops they msesed up!" talk?

The fact is, we pass on 3 of the best QBs to come out in a long time, and the very next year have a huge hole at QB
We pass on a fantastic playmaking RB only to sign a band-aid back the next offseason
We claim we did this to shore up our Dl and pass rush, only to relist it as one of our priorities this offseason.

I know that at the time we thought that Carr was going to be ok, I know that the OL was unpredictable beause of injuries, I know that Bush would probably not have succeeded here, I know that Williams and the rest of the DL was injured a lot last year, but you have to admit that in general, we had a good opportunity last year to pick a "media-dubbed-sure-bet" We didn't, and the guy we picked did very little. As a result, we've got to be OK with the media bashing.
We went against the grain, it didn't pan out as we'd hoped, and now we've got to live with our choices.

I personally think in time VY's technical weakness will start to show, while Leinart and Cutler will both improve. I think Reggie will be great, and I think MW will also be dominant. But for now, it SEEMS to most that we got stuck with the weakest link, and until MW comes through with a dominant year, we are going to be looked down on. And rightfully so
Old 03-11-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is everyone so angry at the media regarding the Williams pick?

Nope as there were two players on the team draft boards for the #1 pick - Bush and Williams. We made the smart move due to the impact Bush would have had on our cap, which would have created an imbalance at a spend level - 60+m vs 40M for many years. Balance on the field via a balanced cap is smart.
Old 03-11-2007   #3
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
Why is everyone so angry at the media regarding the Williams pick?
Um, because they were right? We had 3 great QB's we could have picked.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #4
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcman View Post
Um, because they were right? We had 3 great QB's we could have picked.
Because Casserly's entire rationale behind that pick was 'We're not gonna be able to outscore Indianapolis, so let's draft a guy that can keep them from scoring." I'm still sick to the stomach everyday about that one.
Old 03-11-2007   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
Because Casserly's entire rationale behind that pick was 'We're not gonna be able to outscore Indianapolis, so let's draft a guy that can keep them from scoring." I'm still sick to the stomach everyday about that one.
And we wind up beating Indy for the first time in team history.

Things that make you go hmmm?
Old 03-11-2007   #6
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
And we wind up beating Indy for the first time in team history.

Things that make you go hmmm?
Maybe it was because their run defense at the time we played them. Could it be because Ron Dayne tortured their D? I mean, DC wasn't even in the gameplan that day.

Very weak argument.
Old 03-11-2007   #7
TLove21
Rookie

ya you're right......yall screwed up
TLove21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2007   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Maybe it was because their run defense at the time we played them. Could it be because Ron Dayne tortured their D? I mean, DC wasn't even in the gameplan that day.

Very weak argument.
Weak arguements are usually born from a weak premise.
Old 03-11-2007   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Long post but if you want to simplify it:

Last year was laoded with "game breakers" on offense...franchise guys

We went defensive line to put pressure on the teams in our division

A year later we still have no playmakers and are still looking to d-line and defensive help in the draft.

Oops
Old 03-11-2007   #10
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Weak arguements are usually born from a weak premise.
For Casserly to automatically assume that we couldn't outscore Indy no matter what we did just proves his incompetence. Talk about a 'losing mentality'. He made a critical mistake by reaching for Mario Williams. You just don't pass up a special player like Vince or Reggie. It doesn't matter what your immediate needs are.

For example, if you're Cincinnati, New England, or any team for that matter and you have the #1 pick this year...you draft Calvin Johnson #1. It doesn't matter if you're already stacked at WR. CJ, just as Reggie and Vince were last year, is a guy that's too special of a player to pass up.
Old 03-11-2007   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
For Casserly to automatically assume that we couldn't outscore Indy no matter what we did just proves his incompetence. Talk about a 'losing mentality'. He made a critical mistake by reaching for Mario Williams. You just don't pass up a special player like Vince or Reggie. It doesn't matter what your immediate needs are.

For example, if you're Cincinnati, New England, or any team for that matter and you have the #1 pick this year...you draft Calvin Johnson #1. It doesn't matter if you're already stacked at WR. CJ, just as Reggie and Vince were last year, is a guy that's too special of a player to pass up.
Williams was not a reach. If Bush went #1 where do you think Mario would have gone?
Old 03-11-2007   #12
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Williams was not a reach. If Bush went #1 where do you think Mario would have gone?
Probably #4 to the Jets. But that's not the point. I'm trying to say that, regardless of need and 'drafting for your division', you never pass up on an instant gamebreaker. Chew on this one too, we're still looking for D-Line help one year after drafting Mario.

I'm a fan of Mario and I think he'll do well, but nevertheless, we made a mistake.

The look on Kubiak's face when he was in the war room as the pick was being announced said it all. He didn't want Mario, that was obvious from Day 1.
Old 03-11-2007   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

What makes Reggie or Vince so special? Have either them won a SB? They are all, including MW, untapped potential at this point.

Reggie walked onto a pretty good team. He didn't make them better; change in staff and a FA QB did.

VY I would have liked, but not at #1. Unfortunetly we could/did not trade down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Probably #4 to the Jets. But that's not the point. I'm trying to say that, regardless of need and 'drafting for your division', you never pass up on an instant gamebreaker. Chew on this one too, we're still looking for D-Line help one year after drafting Mario.

I'm a fan of Mario and I think he'll do well, but nevertheless, we made a mistake.

The look on Kubiak's face when he was in the war room as the pick was being announced said it all. He didn't want Mario, that was obvious from Day 1.
Uhh no, he would have gone to N.O with the #2 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't get it. I mean, we did screw up last year. The media reports the current opinion, and the current opinion is that we messed up. Heres the deal:

We go into 2006 draft saying we don't need a QB.
We pass on Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler (3 QBs with grat potential)
We say Carr is QB of the future and our franchise guy
Carr plays horribly all year, our offense is terrible.
Vince leads the Titans to a crazy comeback year, Matt and Cutler show promise, and we are now shopping Carr for a 4th round pick.
And to top it all off, we are considering starting a career backup or drafting Quinn

Um, no. That's revisionist history and hindsight being 20/20. At the time, only some a few local Longhorn fans thought we should take VY. Very few people took that seriously. I think most people were floored when the Titans took VY with the third pick because that's where Leinart was going to be reunited with his old coach.

Most people thought that Carr would be fine with a little coaching by Kubiak and improvement in our line.

No, the media all thought we should take Bush. I still don't think Bush was the right choice for us to take. He needs to share time with someone like LenDale White or Deuce McAllister because he's more of a change of pace back.

Most of us are angry at the media because:

1. They refuse to recognize that Mario filled more of a need for us than Bush would have.
2. They continue to harp every minor thing that Bush does like it's some major accomplishment when for most of the year, he really didn't perform that well.
3. They've started saying it was a mistake that we didn't take Vince when if you go back and look at what THEY were saying before the draft, everyone thought that Vince was going to be a project and probably wouldn't be able to play his game in the NFL.
4. It is now an unwritten rule that if any reporter mentions the Texans, they have to mention what a mistake it was that we didn't take Vince or Reggie and what a horrible draft we had even though we nabbed the DROY and got several other starters.

The top 4 guys on the board were Bush, Williams, Leinart, and Ferguson. And most of the reporters had them going in that order. Most of the mocks had them in that order. I think the media is just ticked off overall because the entire draft went totally differently than they had been reporting it was going to go.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #16
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
What makes Reggie or Vince so special? Have either them won a SB? They are all, including MW, untapped potential at this point.

Reggie walked onto a pretty good team. He didn't make them better; change in staff and a FA QB did.

VY I would have liked, but not at #1. Unfortunetly we could/did not trade down.
Reggie walked onto a 3-13 team. We were 2-14. What?

VY walked onto a 4-12 team. We were 2-14. What? Vince singlehandedly turned that team around, got Jeff Fisher a contract extension, and got them 1 game from the playoffs.
Old 03-11-2007   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:

We made no mistake. Our issue is in the secondary, we knew that after last year's draft. We lost our two DT's to injuries and that did not help. Mario is as much as a game breaker as Bush and Young, just more subtle due to the nature of the positions.
Old 03-11-2007   #18
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Uhh no, he would have gone to N.O with the #2 pick.
#2, #4...? "Gold jacket, Green jacket, who gives a ____!"
Old 03-11-2007   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I totally disagree. Mario was probably going #2 to the Saints. We just swapped those around. I think taking Mario was the right decision. I think Reggie would have been a bust of astronomical proportions if we had drafted him.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #20
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
We made no mistake. Our issue is in the secondary, we knew that after last year's draft. We lost our two DT's to injuries and that did not help. Mario is as much as a game breaker as Bush and Young, just more subtle due to the nature of the positions.
I'm not doubting Mario's potential. I think he's a darn good DE, but we needed instant OFFENSE last year. You can have the strongest defense in the league, but if you're not explosive on offense you're not going much of anywhere.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read