Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-11-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How do you think Brady Quinn compares with the big 3?

Lets throw in Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers as well.

We've got, in alphabetical order:
Jay Cutler
Matt Leinart
Brady Quinn
Aaron Rodgers
Alex Smith
Vince Young

Try thinking about who throws the best short route, who throws the best deep ball, who moves around in the pocket the best, who is the most mobile, etc. Rate them on the following stats if it'll help, or just rank them:

Arm Strength:

Accuracy:

Mobility:

Pocket Presence:

Leadership Ability:

Overall:
Old 03-11-2007   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do you think Brady Quinn compares with the big 3?

Here's my order (I don't know enough about each guy to do the individual stat rankings, but heres a guess) I'm also not ranking Rogers and Smith because I know nothing about them

Arm Strength: VY, Cutler, Quinn, Leinart
Accuracy: Leinart, Quinn, VY, Cutler
Mobility: VY, Cutler, Quinn, Leinart
Pocket Presence: Leinart, Quinn, VY, Cutler
Leadership Ability: VY, Quinn, Leinart, Cutler
Overall: VY, Quinn, Leinart, Cutler

Not sure how I feel about Leinart vs. Quinn. On the one hand, Leinart put up better numbers but had a much better surrounding cast. Leinart was less the leader of the team than Bush, and had some questions regarding his arm strength. Quinn's numbers were still great with a worse cast, but he never displayed the big time game winning ability that Leinart did.

What do you think?

Last edited by gtexan02; 03-11-2007 at 12:37 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #3
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

gtexan has it about right
Old 03-11-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

vince young doesn't have that strong of an arm, certainly not stronger than cutler's.

Arm Strength: cutler, quinn, young, leinart

Accuracy: leinart, quinn, cutler, young

Mobility: young, cutler, quinn, leinart

Pocket Presence: leinart, quinn, cutler, young

Leadership Ability: cutler, young, leinart, quinn (all very good though)

Overall: leinart, quinn, cutler, young
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
vince young doesn't have that strong of an arm, certainly not stronger than cutler's.

I like everything but your leadership ability and overall. No way is anyone a better leader than Young. Everyone he's ever played with has publically proven this.

And in overall, no way is Young at the bottom. I still think leinart was a little overrated
Old 03-11-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I like everything but your leadership ability and overall. No way is anyone a better leader than Young. Everyone he's ever played with has publically proven this.

And in overall, no way is Young at the bottom. I still think leinart was a little overrated
I don't know gtex...Cuttler certainly had less tallent at his disposal on the collegiate level than Young did. i.e. he did much more with much less. Gotta be like Christmass in July for him at the pro level now. Gonna be fun to see who makes greater strides in their second year. Will agree, Vincent is the best running back palying QB in the NFL today.
Old 03-11-2007   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

no, the players he's played with proved that he's a good leader. not that he's a better leader than cutler.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2007   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I don't know gtex...Cuttler certainly had less tallent at his disposal on the collegiate level than Young did. i.e. he did much more with much less. Gotta be like Christmass in July for him at the pro level now. Gonna be fun to see who makes greater strides in their second year. Will agree, Vincent is the best running back palying QB in the NFL today.
I think Young has great leadership skills...i think he can motivate the other players better than the others. it showed this season even with him as a rookie.

say pete....you think vince or vick is the better runner? i'd think vince is better passer...is that why you have him ahead of vick in the RB to QB ranking? lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #9
newbiefan
Rookie

Interesting thread, I haven't seen enough of any of them except VY to really make a judgment, but for arguments sake why don't you throw Jemarcus Russell into the mix.
newbiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, good thinking...bolded is where I put Russell compared to the others.

Arm Strength: Jamarcus Russell, Cutler, VY, Quinn, Leinart
Accuracy: Leinart, Quinn, Cutler, VY, Jamarcus Russell
Mobility: VY, Cutler, Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Leinart
Pocket Presence: Leinart, Quinn, VY, Jamarcus Russell, Cutler
Leadership Ability: VY, Quinn, Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Cutler
Overall: VY, Quinn, Leinart, Cutler, Jamarcus Russell
Old 03-11-2007   #11
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Okay, good thinking...bolded is where I put Russell compared to the others.

Arm Strength: Jamarcus Russell, Cutler, VY, Quinn, Leinart
Accuracy: Leinart, Quinn, Cutler, VY, Jamarcus Russell
Mobility: VY, Cutler, Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Leinart
Pocket Presence: Leinart, Quinn, VY, Jamarcus Russell, Cutler
Leadership Ability: VY, Quinn, Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Cutler
Overall: VY, Quinn, Leinart, Cutler, Jamarcus Russell
JaMarcus Russell's desire to be great in the NFL: Ryan Leaf comes to mind.
Old 03-11-2007   #12
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
JaMarcus Russell's desire to be great in the NFL: Ryan Leaf comes to mind.
You rang?...

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #13
TLove21
Rookie

haha all you think your analysts huh.....

youre comparing rookies and one year starters....i mean it all depends on the situation
they are in
TLove21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #14
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLove21 View Post
haha all you think your analysts huh.....

youre comparing rookies and one year starters....i mean it all depends on the situation
they are in
that's how we do it around here son.
Old 03-11-2007   #15
BleedTheBurntOrange
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post

Vince Young is the ultimate leader no way cutler is first if he was that big of a leader they would of went to a bowl game and not lost to Middle Tennessee State

And Vince is #1 overall, comparing him to the others right now is absurd

1 guy who isnt even in the NFL yet and won nothing in college

1 guy who led his team to a top 5 pick

1 guy who let his team get knocked out of the playoffs by the 49ers

and Vince who led his team to within a win at New England of making the playoffs on a team that had the #3 pick last year

The facts speak for themselves
Old 03-11-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedTheBurntOrange View Post
Vince Young is the ultimate leader no way cutler is first if he was that big of a leader they would of went to a bowl game and not lost to Middle Tennessee State
And Vince is #1 overall, comparing him to the others right now is absurd

1 guy who isnt even in the NFL yet and won nothing in college

1 guy who led his team to a top 5 pick

1 guy who let his team get knocked out of the playoffs by the 49ers

and Vince who led his team to within a win at New England of making the playoffs on a team that had the #3 pick last year

The facts speak for themselves
I don't think Cuttler, ever, had top twenty recuiting class material to work with... ever. How many Vanderbilt guys have been drafted the last three years as compaired to the number of Texas Players who have been drafted ? I bet the ratio is considerable. You're correct Vincent has the most hardware. That wasn't the point of the arguement.

You're making my point for me.

Lot easier motivating, being a leader, when every one looking you in the face was a top one hundered guy coming out of highschool. As compaired to Cutler who willed his team to where they got with no tallent guys killing themselves for him tring not to embaress themselves, inspite of the lack of tallent. I'm pretty confident...history is going to show the plum on the board last year at QB was Cutller. Not Vincent or Lionheart. We'll see.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-11-2007 at 09:28 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I'm in no way an expert when it comes down to this.

I'm basing my views which are close to some and far from others on the kind of players they are...what attributes they have or don't have...and basically what kind of prospect they are..or i think they are.

leinart, cutler, and young being in the nfl has no significance to this at all. Rex Grossman went to the superbowl last year...is he better than Brady Quinn just because of that...not no but hell no.

I don't base my OPINIONS on what team the guy plays for nfl or ncaa or what supporting cast he has.

Vanderbilt was a pretty darn bad football program.

Vanderbilt has only 3 players ever selected in the 1st round.
1984 pick #8 Leonard Coleman- S -Indianapolis
1986 pick #20 Will Wolford- T -Buffalo
2006 pick #11 Jay Cutler- QB - Denver
That's 20 years since their last 1st round pick.

Since the Texans existance only 4 vanderbilt players have been drafted.
2003-1 in the 5th round
2005-2 in the 6th round
2006-1 in the 1st round (and denver moved up for him)

Yea Cutler and Vanderbilt both sure had a lot to work with.
Old 03-12-2007   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

i believe only one offensive player from vanderbilt has been drafted since 1990. excluding cutler.
Old 03-12-2007   #19
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Young, Leinart, Cutler,.........a big gap...............Quinn

Quinn will prove to be no better than David Carr
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I just got to pipe in on the leadership thing.

No way in hell is anybody ahead of VY in leadership, sorry. Every level he's played on this is the first thing his players and coaches automatically talk about. He has a swagger thats contagious to his teamates and don't mind bringing up the players that Cutler played with in college, because I'm talking about when the 3 qbs went to the NFL. Vince had less to work with than any other QB in his class and he stepped in from day one and led the Titans as a rookie and the players followed and they won games in a much more competitive division/conference.

Lienart and Cutler aren't on his level yet leadership wise.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read