Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2007   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default See-Saw, See-Saw, now we won't move up to take Quinn

From the Chronicle:

For the second consecutive week, there has been a report that the Texans might be trying to move up in the draft to select quarterback Brady Quinn.

Neither report is true.

As the Chronicle reported last week, the Texans are not expected to pass up Quinn if he is available with the eighth pick, but they haven't tried to move up.

The Texans have denied they are interested in moving up. Executives with five of the teams that draft in front of the Texans said last week they haven't been contacted by general manager Rick Smith or coach Gary Kubiak about the Texans trying to move up in the first round.

Publicly and privately, the Texans insist they are trying to add draft choices, not surrender them.

As the draft draws closer, there will be a lot of reports involving a lot of teams, including the Texans, about moving up or down in the draft. A few might even be true.

The Texans have the same quarterbacks David Carr, Sage Rosenfels and Bradlee Van Pelt as they had at the end of the season.

They made an effort to sign Jeff Garcia and Patrick Ramsey. Why? Garcia would have been the starter with Rosenfels as the backup and, more than likely, a rookie selected in the second or third round.

If they had signed Ramsey, he would have backed up Rosenfels. A rookie would have been the third quarterback.

They wouldn't have signed Garcia to compete with Carr for the starting job and have Rosenfels as the third quarterback. Kubiak kept only two veterans on the roster last season.

They wouldn't have signed Ramsey as the third quarterback behind Carr and Rosenfels.

Even though the Texans never will admit it, both of those scenarios would have played out without Carr.

If the Texans end up with Quinn in the first round or a quarterback in the second or third round, the rookie is going to be developed. A veteran, probably Rosenfels, would start this season.

Rosenfels also is the type of veteran who will work with a rookie and help develop him.

So where does that leave Carr? Still on the trading block, but it takes two to make a trade.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4619278.html
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: See-Saw, See-Saw, now we won't move up to take Quinn

thank god we arent moving up (allegedly)...that would just be stupid
Old 03-11-2007   #3
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

i am in complete agreement against a trade up. in trying to do a mock draft for the Texans, i realized that i could have used at least one more pick, not less. let's stay where we are at, take the player we want, or entertain offers for a reasonable trade down scenario that get us at least one extra day one pick.
Old 03-11-2007   #4
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve View Post
i am in complete agreement against a trade up. in trying to do a mock draft for the Texans, i realized that i could have used at least one more pick, not less. let's stay where we are at, take the player we want, or entertain offers for a reasonable trade down scenario that get us at least one extra day one pick.
I agree. I would like to see Quinn in a Texans uniform though. Hopefully he's there at 8.
Old 03-11-2007   #5
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a crazy thought - would the Pats trade 2 late first round picks for our 8 and would we accept it?

Its that a crazy, stupid idea or not........
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #6
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
I had a crazy thought - would the Pats trade 2 late first round picks for our 8 and would we accept it?

I don't think they'd like that too much if we proposed a deal like that. I think they're salivating at the chance to draft Gonzales or Pozluszny at 24 and Willis or Hughes at 28.
Old 03-11-2007   #7
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post

Maybe the Pats would trade if McNair also offered to pay some of Tom Brady's child support bill next year...
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2007   #8
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Maybe the Pats would trade if McNair also offered to pay some of Tom Brady's child support bill next year...

rofl...anyways, i just read this article in the paper and then logged on here lol. i'm glad that we're not moving up for Quinn and even if he's available at 8 I REALLY HOPE we take Landry instead.
Old 03-11-2007   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The pats can take late 1st rounders and make them superheros. No way they move up in the draft
Old 03-11-2007   #10
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

if this is true, it's music to my ears. If peterson, landry, and thomas are gone by #8, i'd love to trade down.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

March 9: "The Texans are trading up to 6."
OMG OMG OMG ..... Everybody, did you see this? Check this out ....OMG <insert visual of phone booth scene in the movie Airplane here - with the people running left to right>

March 11: "The Texans are not trading up to 6."
OMG OMG OMG ..... Everybody, did you see this? Check this out ....OMG <insert visual of phone booth scene in the movie Airplane here - with the people running right to left>

Sincerely,

Sitting here watching in amusement because nothing has changed since March 8.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #12
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
rofl...anyways, i just read this article in the paper and then logged on here lol. i'm glad that we're not moving up for Quinn and even if he's available at 8 I REALLY HOPE we take Landry instead.
I second that. Landry at no. 8. Let us not forget, as bad as Carr played all year there were 3 games that our defensive blew in the final seconds, not car inablility to be P. Manning and win it for us. I know we all recall, 3rd and 20. Opponents have the ball, quarterback drops back, hits a pass over the middle for 25 yrds and an automatic first down........now how many times have we heard that last year.

Last edited by O.G.; 03-11-2007 at 10:29 AM.
O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its the offseason, what else do you want us to do?

We've been stuck with mediocrity leading our team for 5 years, even the CHANCE that he's going away is the most exciting news I've heard in years
Old 03-11-2007   #14
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
We've been stuck with mediocrity leading our team for 5 years
There's a lot of optimism this off season. Maybe we will get back on track after all this time.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

If the Texans are planning on taking anyone but Landry if its between Landry and Quinn then I hope with every fiber of my being that we're trading out of 8.
Old 03-11-2007   #16
Johnny Utah
All Pro

First off this article is written by John McClain. McClain likes to write in a way that sounds like he knows exactly what is going to happen. Remember last season it was first "The Texans are going to draft Vince Young," then it became "The Texans will draft Reggie Bush." Neither came true.

Do you think that the Texans would actually tell McClain if they want to trade up to get Quinn?
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
First off this article is written by John McClain. McClain likes to write in a way that sounds like he knows exactly what is going to happen. Remember last season it was first "The Texans are going to draft Vince Young," then it became "The Texans will draft Reggie Bush." Neither came true.

Do you think that the Texans would actually tell McClain if they want to trade up to get Quinn?
I hope so, because if they take Quinn over Landry....
Old 03-11-2007   #18
autch14
Rookie

i don't think the texans told mclain anything he's a good reporter but he doesn't always know everything. I'm not saying it's true but the guy from espn that has good sources is saying that we are gonna trade up but only if quinn is there at #6. So if we trade it only be on draft day.
autch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #19
A Texan
Veteran

Quinn seems to be thought by most experts to be the best QB in the draft, so dropping to 8th would be unusual. But you never know. Remember how Aaron Rodgers was supposed to be picked in the top two? I'd be surprised if the Texans didn't take him at 8 though.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #20
Jwwillis
All Pro

IMHO...Sage,Quinn WILL NOT BE AN UPGRADE for the upcoming season. Carr isn't great but he would be better this season than Sage or Quinn. So why down grade? Why cant we wait till next year when Carr's contract is up and there are more options at QB? Oh! Texans fans want change NOW regardless of if it is good or bad for the team. Doesn't this sound a lot like the way Bud Adams ran his Oilers in the 70's. I am ready for a QB change too, but not at any cost. If the Texans only problem was QB my story may be diffrent, but there are so many needs with higher priority than QB, taking cap hits and trading away draft picks for lateral QB moves makes no sense!
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read