Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2004   #41
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Something that I'm wondering about here and possibly some of the brighter football minds (I do not count myself among you) might be able to answer.

IF the Denver Broncos can put just about anyone behind their line and crank out a respectable running game as they've shown for literally years now and IF the Texans are in the process of adopting the same run blocking scheme then it seems to me that the back who adjusts the fastest to this blocking scheme is going to have an advantage. Now the Texans aren't executing this anywhere near the level that the Broncos do right now but they are in the process of getting their gel on. I can't help but think that Wells getting more carries and DD/Hollings out hurt is going to close the "talent" gap there. I suspect that if Wells gets comfortable running behind this line as the zone blocking scheme comes together then he'll look "pretty good" (relative to Jonathan Wells previous production) and stay in the mix for the starting position whether he really does deserve it or not.

If the zone blocking scheme can make an ordinary back into a performer then can it make Wells our starter? Is that possible?
Old 10-22-2004   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Actually it was his second year in the league. This is his 5th year in the NFL.
I was refering to the primary time period that Brady sat instead of being recognized as better from practice than Bledsoe which in my mind was Brady's rookie year. Bledsoe only lasted 1.5 games into Brady's second year and had not performed nearly as well the year before as the year before Brady was drafted.

Quote:
This is about Davis doing horrible this year, and Wells doing good.
Wells has done much better than ever before, but IMO it is a vast overstatement to say DD has done horribly this year. Let's see how DD does after the buy week (including looking at the OL performance) before we go swaying to and fro upon the winds of last week's performance. Remember last year--we win when Banks is in the game, maybe we should bench Carr for a while and let him grow.
Old 10-22-2004   #43
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
All I know is we have 3 RB's and no player that is clearly head and shoulders above his reserve. We saw a few exciting glimpses of Hollings, Davis has been good when healthy, and Wells is finally awake. I'm not counting any of these guys out. In a league where Rueben Droughns and Priest Holmes can make it big after 3-4 years on the bench, I will be patient with all our young backs.
I agree with these comments, but would add a couple of thoughts.

1) The reason we know that Denver could keep plugging RBs into their system is because their RBs kept getting injured and needed to be replaced over the years (note - I don't mean they were injury prone, but rather that the Emmitt Smiths of the world are few and far between. Typically, RBs have very sort careers compared to other positions, IMO) IT IS NOT A BAD THING TO HAVE THREE PRODUCTIVE RBs.

2) I believe that Davis and Wells do an excellent job of receiving out of the backfield and a good job of blocking on blitz pickup. I think Hollings is behind those two in these areas. This is to be expected IMO, because Hollings has had so little time at the RB position (only six games in college). The talent that Hollings has (speed) can't be taught and I anticipate that he will continue to develop the unsung RB skills (blocking and receiving) and will blosoom in the future.

3) IMO Davis has great vision and good quickness in the hole, as well as the unsung RB skills (blocking and receiving). He only lacks top end speed, but no doubt that is why he was available so late in the draft. His fumbling this year is unacceptable, but he hasn't had a big problem with fumbling throughout his career. I would not be surprised to see him string together a number of big games throughout the rest of the year.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #44
GI-Dawgs
Rookie

With the new zone blocking scheme being implemented this year, the running game has been a diappointment. But... sometimes you take a step backward to go 2 forward and this may be what we are seeing.
I think Davis is the best back. Wells is okay, but nothing special. Hollings has ton of talent, but very little experience. I still feel Davis is the best option, if he is healthy. His inablility to stay healthy is starting to be a concern.

This team is not going to master zone blocking in a handful of games. Denver has proved this system can make a average back look very good.
Be patient!
GI-Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #45
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wells has done much better than ever before, but IMO it is a vast overstatement to say DD has done horribly this year.
Davis is averaging 2.9 yards a carry, which is 41st in the NFL. Add that to his four fumbles. If that's not horrible, I would hate to see horrible. Even Eddie George is averaging 3.4 yards a carry.
Old 10-22-2004   #46
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Ok, I know I will catch hell for this post, but it's just my opinion. IMO I think we should start Wells for awhile. Davis has 233 yards on 80 carries for an average of 2.9 yards per carry with 3 TD's and 4 fumbles. Wells has 218 yards on 59 carries for an average of 3.7 yards per carry with 2 TD's and 1 fumble. Also, when did our passing game really open up? After Davis was injured. IMO we should leave Wells in there until he royally screws up. Seems like Davis is either having problems with injuries or putting the ball on the ground, it seems like there is always something with him. I am beginning to wonder if he was a one hit wonder. And no, I am not a Davis hater, he is a member of this team just like the other 52 men and he contributes when he is healthy, I am just thinking about what is best for our team. Think about what our team has done since Davis was injured. Just wondering what you guys thoughts on this are.

If we are not going to go with Davis until wells screws up then that spells disaster.Why not go (runningback by commitee) that way we can screw it all up and wind wondering what if.
We should start Davis and see if he is working ,I believe we have too many people watching Johnson to worry about which back we are going to start,but we still need a running game and no matter who we start at back there will be a man checking it out.I believe that Davis can beat that man.
Old 10-22-2004   #47
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we are not going to go with Davis until wells screws up then that spells disaster.Why not go (runningback by commitee) that way we can screw it all up and wind wondering what if.
How does it spell disaster? Compare their stats, compare our teams performance when Wells plays vs. Davis, compare our turnover ratio when Wells plays vs. Davis.

Game 1 vs. San Diego, Davis starts, 4 turnovers, Texans loss.
Game 2 vs. Detroit, Davis starts, 3 turnovers, Texans loss.
Game 3 vs. Kansas City, davis starts, plays first half, 1 turnover first half, Houston losing 7 to 6. Wells comes in second half, no turnovers, Houston wins 24-21.
Game 4 vs. Oakland, Wells starts, plays entire game, 1 turnover the entire game, Houston wins 30-17.
Game 5 vs. Minnesota, Davis starts, plays entire game, no turnovers, Texans lose.
Game 6 vs. Titans, Davis starts, plays 1st half, 2 turnovers 1st half, Houston up 13-10 halftime. Wells plays second half, no turnovers second half, Texans win.

Last edited by texan279; 10-22-2004 at 09:38 PM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2004   #48
Ragin Redneck
waterboy

Noob here.......but been watching this thread. And I must say that it's interesting to see that some TEXAN loyals are ready to jump wagon on a stud RB that can make huge plays, for a between the tackles runner that will get you short yardage with no big play ability what so ever. Have ya's asked why J Wells is getting better yardage? Could it be the fact that the opponents defenses study the game films and prepare for D Davis and his style of running, and then Wells comes in and they are unprepared. You let them study Wells some and he will not produce like he has recently. D Davis didn't earn the starting spot for his looks. The coaches see the difference, why else did they start Davis last week when he was less than 100%? Give Davis this week of rest and time to heal, and you will see why he's the #1 RB. His fumbles are a prob, but it's only due to the fact that he fights for evey yard he can get, while Wells just gets tackled at the spot of contact.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
Ragin Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #49
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
How does it spell disaster? Compare their stats, compare our teams performance when Wells plays vs. Davis, compare our turnover ratio when Wells plays vs. Davis.

Game 3 vs. Kansas City, davis starts, plays first half, 1 turnover first half, Houston losing 7 to 6. Wells comes in second half, no turnovers, Houston wins 24-21.
Game 4 vs. Oakland, Wells starts, plays entire game, 1 turnover the entire game, Houston wins 30-17.
Game 5 vs. Minnesota, Davis starts, plays entire game, no turnovers, Texans lose.
Game 6 vs. Titans, Davis starts, plays 1st half, 2 turnovers 1st half, Houston up 13-10 halftime. Wells plays second half, no turnovers second half, Texans win.

Ok if i may comment on the KC game it was wells who fumbled the ball and turned it over not davis !!!! Plus davis has had a sprang ankle that has not quite healed since the KC game ! He will still be the starter and will improve from his early performance !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #50
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan
Cool

Quote:

I will give you the turnovers in the first 2 games as the breakers for Houstons loss,but in Game 6 DD did not turn over the ball a win,and no one turned over the ball in game 5 a loss,and then again in week 3 DD did not turn over the ball a win(rushing game 5?)Carr 10 yds less than DD,week6 Wells prevailed nicely.
My point is don't associate DD as the prince of all the turnovers,and call that the reson for starting Wells,Wells is wonderful,But I haven't been convinced that last years Rookie of the year has shown us what he has yet.
Old 10-22-2004   #51
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
His fumbling this year is unacceptable, but he hasn't had a big problem with fumbling throughout his career. I would not be surprised to see him string together a number of big games throughout the rest of the year.

I believed this as well but a quick glance at his senior year (available at this Link down under the "2002" heading) reveals that DD put the rock on the ground on a regular basis his senior year. That season he wasn't (I believe, could be mistaken) even a full time starter.

So which is it? Is he the fumble factory from 2002 and early this season or is he the fairly reliable talented back running back we saw last year? I just don't know.
Old 10-22-2004   #52
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Noob here.......but been watching this thread. And I must say that it's interesting to see that some TEXAN loyals are ready to jump wagon on a stud RB that can make huge plays, for a between the tackles runner that will get you short yardage with no big play ability what so ever.
I am a loyal fan, been here since day 1, never posted a fire anyone thread, I am just saying put the man in who is performing better.
Old 10-22-2004   #53
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i think its still to early in his career to know,,,,but i saw a lot of promise out of him last season and thats not just something you can fake ! He still has the ability and talent to be a good back lets just see if he can learn to use it !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #54
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
His fumbles are a prob, but it's only due to the fact that he fights for evey yard he can get, while Wells just gets tackled at the spot of contact.
If this is true, why is Davis averaging 2.9 yards a carry and Wells is averaging 3.7 yards a carry and Davis' longest run of the season is 10 yards. If that's fighting for yards I would hate to see him on a bad day.
Old 10-22-2004   #55
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok if i may comment on the KC game it was wells who fumbled the ball and turned it over not davis !!!!
Um no, David Carr and Billy Miller had a fumble each in that game, Wells did not fumble once in that game.
Old 10-22-2004   #56
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I will give you the turnovers in the first 2 games as the breakers for Houstons loss,but in Game 6 DD did not turn over the ball a win,and no one turned over the ball in game 5 a loss,and then again in week 3 DD did not turn over the ball a win(rushing game 5?)Carr 10 yds less than DD,week6 Wells prevailed nicely.
I am not just talking about turnovers here, but overall performance also. Davis played the entire game against Minnesota and we lost the game. And yes we won the game in week 3, but Wells came in in the second half and rushed for 37 yards on 10 carries, after Davis had a WHOPPING 12 yards on 10 carries.

Quote:
My point is don't associate DD as the prince of all the turnovers,and call that the reson for starting Wells,Wells is wonderful,But I haven't been convinced that last years Rookie of the year has shown us what he has yet.
If he hasn't shown us what he has yet, what is he waiting for?
Old 10-22-2004   #57
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Quote:
I am not just talking about turnovers here, but overall performance also. Davis played the entire game against Minnesota and we lost the game. And yes we won the game in week 3, but Wells came in in the second half and rushed for 37 yards on 10 carries, after Davis had a WHOPPING 12 yards on 10 carries.

If he hasn't shown us what he has yet, what is he waiting for?

I think Probably the colts
Old 10-23-2004   #58
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

You dont just give up on talent.

Davis was Rookie of the Year.. and he has shown the coaches that he is humble, a team player, and a hard worker.. all those things together means you dont give up on him cause he has had a rough start.

He may not get back into his groove until late in the season.. ya never know.. hell he might not get into his groove again till NEXT season.. but I dont think we will give up on him quickly. he has SHOWN that he is capable of it, we just have to get him where he needs to be.

And he isnt gonna get it back if we have him ride the pine.. Well i dunno.. he might.. but ya gotta have some faith in the guy.

We have a great passing game.. keep Davis in there.. let him try and work his way out of this slump. If we can get him going, AND our passing game.. we will be doing awesome.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004   #59
Ragin Redneck
waterboy

Quote:
If this is true, why is Davis averaging 2.9 yards a carry and Wells is averaging 3.7 yards a carry and Davis' longest run of the season is 10 yards. If that's fighting for yards I would hate to see him on a bad day.
Whoa......8-tenths or a yard difference! Shoot......WELLS is a STUD! Just imagine what he would get if the defenses studied and prepared for him and not D Davis. I guess GreenBay needs to bench A Green in favor of N Davenport going by your train of thought. And lets see....Tiki would be benched in favor of that awesome Ron Dayne. And I guess D Carr needs to be benched for throwing 5 INT's, and fumbling 6 times.

Like some mentioned, the forgotten factor here is T Hollings who is 2nd in the pecking order, should get the start over Wells if they were to go with someone other than D Davis. But I still think that D Davis is the best of all three!
Ragin Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004   #60
texan279
Hall of Fame

All I am saying is play the man who is putting up the numbers and getting the job done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read