Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2007   #1
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA
Default Here's what KUBES sees!

If David's footwork was better, he'd be a DARN good QB. However, IT IS NOT!! The bad thing? At this age and stage of his career, it's not going to be able to be taught.

David is a GREAT guy but as an NFL QB (And that's all that we need to discuss) his footwork is terrible. Now, since footwork is as important to an NFL QB as the SAT is to a HS graduate, it can't be just dismissed. I don't care how smart someone is - if they can't do well on the SAT, they don't get into the college of their choice.

I don't care how great David's other skills are, if you can't step right you can't throw right. He constantly gets tackled by his center, he constantly throws off his back foot, he constantly throws sidearm (Which means his step-into foot in out of position), and he constantly gets sacked because his feet CAN'T FEEL where to go.

Most people will say this and that about David. Here are some facts though -

his arm strength is fine
his accuracy under 30 yards is fine
his touch, for the most part, is fine

but his footwork is so bad that his own coach can't put him in a shotgun. I watched the Cleveland game a few weeks ago in slow motion. WOW! He's throwing from his tippy-toes at times because he CAN NOT step sideways. Watch any game you can and DC CAN NOT drift to the side. Another term we all us for this is 'pocket presence.' It's metaphysical, it sensory, it's quantum physics all rolled up into one thing - but it's the ONE THING you must have to be successful. You must SENSE what's happening. David can't SENSE what's happening around him.

Why? Who knows? Actually, who cares? David's a great guy but in year 6 he CAN NOT 'feel' the pocket - period! His footwork is terrible. With that said, he simply needs to be moved from being the starter. This has nothing to do with Brady Quinn and how his being good looking makes him a Carr clone - geez. They're totally different QB's...

...but in KUBES' system, a QB MUST have the footwork to sell all aspects of the offense. He's got to sense it and then sell it. Once the QB does this, everything else falls into place. Does anyone alive think Jeff Garcia can throw an accurate ball past 19-20 yards? No - he can't. But in that WC system, his feet work pretty well and he can sell the play.

Deception - deception - deception.
Starting at QB for the Houston Texans - - #13 - - David Blaine!

"OMG!! Blaine just LEVITATED and threw that pass. This kids got it all!"

"Blaine FUMBLES - WAIT!!!! The ball just disappeared! WAIT - there it is!!"

maybe?
Old 03-10-2007   #2
MATRIX
Veteran

Default Re: Here's what KUBES sees!

What round can we take him?

I'm sure after the street magic stuff is done he'll be ready for camp.Maybe he can throw a few at D-linemen to buy more time.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's what KUBES sees!
If that is what Coach Kubiak sees, then why didn't he see the problem before offering Carr a 3 year deal @ $8 million/year?

I agree that DC doesn't seem to have a 'feel' for the pocket, but I think it's more conditioning than anything else. 250+ sacks in 5 seasons would do that to a lot of QBs with potential. He seems to make decisions today that are detrimental to being a consistent QB, and I think that's his biggest problem above all else.

Perhaps Kubiak thought so highly of his own coaching abilities that he thought he could teach Carr out of the problem, or maybe he just underestimated the situation before agreeing to resigning him last year. Who knows...coach isn't talking about it, and it is what it is.
Old 03-10-2007   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
If that is what Coach Kubiak sees, then why didn't he see the problem before offering Carr a 3 year deal @ $8 million/year?
How do you know that he did? I don't believe Kubiak had the power to extend Carr, just the same as I don't think he had the power to choose who to take with the first overall pick of the draft. The two are directly connected.

Those type of decisions . . . only the owner makes those type of calls.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
How do you know that he did? I don't believe Kubiak had the power to extend Carr, just the same as I don't think he had the power to choose who to take with the first overall pick of the draft. The two are directly connected.

Those type of decisions . . . only the owner makes those types of calls.
I don't claim to know anything. I was just speculating based upon a speculation thread.

You could be right in that the owner made all the calls...although, he claims to be just a fan like the rest of us and lets the people he hires make football decisions.

I honestly think Kubiak believed he could reform Carr based upon the footage he had reviewed and studied of the first four seasons. McNair may have been the one that pulled the trigger on the deal to give Carr another deal, but I do not believe it was against his new head coach's wishes.
Old 03-10-2007   #6
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

why not post this in one of the other 5 billion Carr threads.

I actually had a glimmer of hope this was going to be an interview or something by Kubiak. Instead...more...of Carr threads.

On edit: I like Blaine at the 8 spot.
Old 03-10-2007   #7
Eyeguy
Veteran

Just got back from HLSR Steer Auction. Kubes was bidding with a group known as the "Wild Bunch" who purchased one of the top 5 steers. They continued to bid even as I was leaving.
Was very nice to take a moment and speak to my wifes 90yr old Grand Dad. Good Man!
Old 03-10-2007   #8
CVTexan
Rookie

I think McClain made a decent point yesterday on 610. He said "NO coach was going to come in here and tell McNair that David could not be fixed!" Basically the same thing as one of us going to a job interview and admitting that, if offered the job, we wouldn't be able to do it anyways. IMO at some point its just time for a change of scenery. If we don't draft Quinn I think there are multiple guys who can help us at 8. We have SO many holes I would hate to see us loose draft picks in order just to move up.

I would be happy with any of the picks available Quinn/Peterson/Anderson/Landry/Branch/Adams/Okoye. With the exception of Quinn, any of these guys steps right in as a starter. IMO with the signing of Black and given Denver's success and pattern of drafting O linemen later in the draft, you will not see us draft one atleast until the second round.

If David is the best option going into next season then by all accounts we need him. However, im not to sure with everything that has gone on in the media that we could put enough damage control on it to bring him back and it be a nice fit for the both of us.

This will be Kubiak and Smith's first draft. I have faith in these guys. Are there going to be bumbs and bruises? Sure! Rome wan't built in a day. It is time to turn them loose and let them build their/our team! GO TEXANS!!

CVTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #9
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVTexan View Post

This will be Kubiak and Smith's first draft. I have faith in these guys. Are there going to be bumps and bruises? Sure! Rome wan't built in a day. It is time to turn them loose and let them build their/our team! GO TEXANS!!

I do also. hopefully they'll make the needed changes.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #10
DRAMA
All Pro

Quote:
I agree that DC doesn't seem to have a 'feel' for the pocket, but I think it's more conditioning than anything else. 250+ sacks in 5 seasons would do that to a lot of QBs with potential. He seems to make decisions today that are detrimental to being a consistent QB, and I think that's his biggest problem above all else.
I TOTALLY agree. That's why I actually feel bad when I talk about David because as a person, I think he's a great, great individual. I wish that I could explain to him that we see players as 'fantasy players' in all truthfulness. If our 'player' is doing poorly, we want another 'player.' So, with that said, I LOVE DC as a person. I also think that the Texans are almost TOTALLY at fault for him being the QB he is today. I think Casserly and Capers destroyed that kid. However, that doesn't take away from what we face right now and that's that David needs a change of scenery. It's never personal - it just is what it is. His footwork is terrible but it IS year 6 and we need to make a move and apologize to him as he leaves...and then we move on.

Quote:
Perhaps Kubiak thought so highly of his own coaching abilities that he thought he could teach Carr out of the problem, or maybe he just underestimated the situation before agreeing to resigning him last year. Who knows...coach isn't talking about it, and it is what it is.
I honestly don't know who did what, who decided what or who was in charge of what. I do NOW but I do not know who was then. If the scenario you lay out happened? Then it's entirely possible that Kubiak believed he could save him - but for the most part, I really have no idea on the extension and who wanted DC to stay.

I bet ya this - if David Carr was in the draft this year, he'd go #1 or #2. If he was a rookie on the Texans in 2007, under Kubes, I bet he'd turn into a helluva QB! Pretty odd, huh?

Overall, I think we see things pretty much the same way.
Old 03-10-2007   #11
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA View Post
If David's footwork was better, he'd be a DARN good QB. However, IT IS NOT!! The bad thing? At this age and stage of his career, it's not going to be able to be taught.

David is a GREAT guy but as an NFL QB (And that's all that we need to discuss) his footwork is terrible. Now, since footwork is as important to an NFL QB as the SAT is to a HS graduate, it can't be just dismissed. I don't care how smart someone is - if they can't do well on the SAT, they don't get into the college of their choice.

I don't care how great David's other skills are, if you can't step right you can't throw right. He constantly gets tackled by his center, he constantly throws off his back foot, he constantly throws sidearm (Which means his step-into foot in out of position), and he constantly gets sacked because his feet CAN'T FEEL where to go.

his arm strength is fine

but his footwork is so bad that his own coach can't put him in a shotgun. I watched the Cleveland game a few weeks ago in slow motion. WOW! He's throwing from his tippy-toes at times because he CAN NOT step sideways. Watch any game you can and DC CAN NOT drift to the side. Another term we all us for this is 'pocket presence.' It's metaphysical, it sensory, it's quantum physics all rolled up into one thing - but it's the ONE THING you must have to be successful. You must SENSE what's happening. David can't SENSE what's happening around him.

Why? Who knows? Actually, who cares? David's a great guy but in year 6 he CAN NOT 'feel' the pocket - period! His footwork is terrible. With that said, he simply needs to be moved from being the starter. This has nothing to do with Brady Quinn and how his being good looking makes him a Carr clone - geez. They're totally different QB's...

...but in KUBES' system, a QB MUST have the footwork to sell all aspects of the offense. He's got to sense it and then sell it. Once the QB does this, everything else falls into place. Does anyone alive think Jeff Garcia can throw an accurate ball past 19-20 yards? No - he can't. But in that WC system, his feet work pretty well and he can sell the play.

Deception - deception - deception.
Starting at QB for the Houston Texans - - #13 - - David Blaine!

"OMG!! Blaine just LEVITATED and threw that pass. This kids got it all!"

"Blaine FUMBLES - WAIT!!!! The ball just disappeared! WAIT - there it is!!"

maybe?
The bottom line about the Carr situation is:

He hasn't been traded up to this point because Bob McNair is finding it hard to admit to the team and to the general public that he made a bad decision when deciding to draft David Carr. He may have thought it was the right thing to do at the time, but it hasn't panned out the way he would've liked. It seems to be some sort of ego thing with the Texans not wanting to cut Carr loose. That is the ONLY reason Carr hasn't/may not be traded. Add to that, Kubiak decided to give him $8M to stay for another 3 years, so now Kubiak's ego comes in to play as well. Is Kubiak going to be willing to take blame for that? We'll see.....
Old 03-10-2007   #12
DRAMA
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
The bottom line about the Carr situation is:

He hasn't been traded up to this point because Bob McNair is finding it hard to admit to the team and to the general public that he made a bad decision when deciding to draft David Carr. He may have thought it was the right thing to do at the time, but it hasn't panned out the way he would've liked. It seems to be some sort of ego thing with the Texans not wanting to cut Carr loose. That is the ONLY reason Carr hasn't/may not be traded. Add to that, Kubiak decided to give him $8M to stay for another 3 years, so now Kubiak's ego comes in to play as well. Is Kubiak going to be willing to take blame for that? We'll see.....
Why is McNair finding it hard to do what 90% of the city wants him to do? Also, nobody knows for sure that Kubiak had even the slightest input on whether he 'truly' felt DC had it.

The owner asks do you like my starting QB cause I love him?

Kubes: "uh..yeah - I love him too!"

Probably pretty much how that convo went.
Old 03-10-2007   #13
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

his arm strength is fine

David can't SENSE what's happening around him.

Why? Who knows? Actually, who cares? David's a great guy but in year 6 he CAN NOT 'feel' the pocket - period!
His football mind, is NOT FINE

How about David Carr is a mental disaster area, and hears footsteps in the back of his head 24/7 and lacks the faith to do more than a 3 step drop?
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #14
DRAMA
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
His football mind, is NOT FINE

How about David Carr is a mental disaster area, and hears footsteps in the back of his head 24/7 and lacks the faith to do more than a 3 step drop?
Uh...yeah.
Old 03-10-2007   #15
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Why is McNair finding it hard to do what 90% of the city wants him to do? Also, nobody knows for sure that Kubiak had even the slightest input on whether he 'truly' felt DC had it.

The owner asks do you like my starting QB cause I love him?

Kubes: "uh..yeah - I love him too!"

Probably pretty much how that convo went.
Imagine picking somebody #1 and then 5 years later finally figuring out that he's not the guy to lead your team.

McNair just doesn't want to come out and admit he was wrong....even though it's the right thing to do.
Old 03-10-2007   #16
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Imagine picking somebody #1 and then 5 years later finally figuring out that he's not the guy to lead your team.

McNair just doesn't want to come out and admit he was wrong....even though it's the right thing to do.
Dan Reeves told McNair that the Texans "could win" with Carr..

McNair, accordingly, gave Carr the bonus.

Now if GW Bush can admit that mistakes were made in Iraq, I expect McNair to soon admit that giving Carr the bonus was a mistake..

Carr will be gone by March 15th, if the "Pizza Lovers" are anywhere close to being accurate.
Old 03-10-2007   #17
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Dan Reeves told McNair that the Texans "could win" with Carr..

McNair, accordingly, gave Carr the bonus.

Now if GW Bush can admit that mistakes were made in Iraq, I expect McNair to soon admit that giving Carr the bonus was a mistake..

Carr will be gone by March 15th, if the "Pizza Lovers" are anywhere close to being accurate.
I hope you're right. I just don't understand why Kubiak went along with him if he really didn't feel that way. I understand he wanted to make the owner happy, but come on...
Old 03-10-2007   #18
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Quote:
I hope you're right. I just don't understand why Kubiak went along with him if he really didn't feel that way. I understand he wanted to make the owner happy, but come on...
How much did McNair pay Reeves? 300K or something for the review?

I think Reeves also endorsed Kubiak for head coach as well.

Are you going to "doubt" anyone that reccomended you for a job?
Old 03-10-2007   #19
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:

No. But at the same time I think I would say what I really feel and not just play along. I understand where you're coming from though.
Old 03-10-2007   #20
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:

I don't think Reeves' endorsement is what triggered the Kubiak hiring. If we set the "Way Back Machine" to 2001, we will see Kubiak applied for the original HC job that was given to Capers.

Kubes had been the OC at Denver for about 4 years at the time. McNair felt he needed more seasoning before he became a HC. McNair kept his eye on him though.

McNair was going to hire Kubiak anyway with or without Reeves' endorsement which brings us to this point.

Dan Reeves was hired as a consultant. Having worked with many consultants over the years, I know how they operate.

They come in, look at data, and ask questions. Tell Management what they want to hear. Collect a big fat check and head to the golf course laughing all the way to the bank.

Therefore, Reeves told McNair what he wanted to hear.

1. They could win with David Carr.
2. Kubiak would be a good Head Coach.

I think Reeves was at least 50% right.

I don't know where in Houston he plays golf though.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read