Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-09-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coming out of College:What is different than Carr then and Quinn now?

what is it that makes everyone jump for joy getting Quinn now?
Is it we are so desperate to get rid of Carr?
Is it Quinn would be able to work for Kubiak from day 1?
Exposure on NBC every Saturday?

Just Curious,because coming out of college Carr had an impressive resume... Texans ruined him (bad luck with both Tackles in expansion draft went down or never got back up)

before the fresno plays a weak schedule excuse comes out.. Fresno beat some top 20 teams that year..not much can be said about.. N.D. at times

seriously..what makes Quinn "The Man" for the Texans?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #2
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80
Default Re: Coming out of College:What is different than Carr then and Quinn now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
what is it that makes everyone jump for joy getting Quinn now?
Is it we are so desperate to get rid of Carr?
Is it Quinn would be able to work for Kubiak from day 1?
Exposure on NBC every Saturday?

Just Curious,because coming out of college Carr had an impressive resume... Texans ruined him (bad luck with both Tackles in expansion draft went down or never got back up)

before the fresno plays a weak schedule comes out.. Fresno beat some top 20 teams that year..not much can be said about.. N.D. at times

seriously..what makes Quinn "The Man" for the Texans?
He's got all the fundamentals for a QB and has already learned an NFL system. He also is a stand up guy, so we won't worry about behavior issues (not that Carr had any). With the addition of Green, hopefully Quinn will have more than one weapon on his side so he won't have to rely just on AJ.

I personally like him and think that if given a chance, he can do some big things in the NFL.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coming out of College:What is different than Carr then and Quinn now?

fair enough thanks
Old 03-09-2007   #4
SESupergenius

So what was that difference again?
Old 03-09-2007   #5
My Hero
Veteran

The difference is that this franchise is five years old now, it should be able to provide the support to Quinn that it was unable to give Carr.
Old 03-09-2007   #6
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

Quinn is a fresh slate. I personally agree with some other posters on here, in that if Carr went to a team with a solid line, he would have done wonders in the NFL. He's just been roughed up so much, that he might not ever be the same. Quinn is our second chance to really do something.

As for people talking about grabbing a QB in the next draft, they want this team at least at .500. The problem? That puts us further down the draft, forcing us to move up positions to grab a competent QB. We have all seen no matter how good your defense is, your team is only as strong as your QB (See SB XLI). I say we grab Quinn (or Peterson if he is there), and then build a solid line with the next draft.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #7
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Brady Quinn has played in big games, the biggest regular season college game of all time (vs usc last season).

Carr never played in big games.

Brady Quinn had good stats against credible opponents.
Carr didnt.

Brady Quinn went through thick, and played well through the thin as well.
Carr didn't.

Brady Quinn was coached by one of the best offensive minds in football.
Carr didn't.

Brady Quinn has a lot more awareness and plays very mature for a college qb.
Carr kind of did, but not on the level as quinn.

Brady Quinn had great numbers against premiere programs like LSU OSU Michgian USC Penn State Tenn.
I dont think carr played one of those programs.

Brady Quinn has an oppurtunity to play with a good offensive line, a good running back, a pro bowl receiver, and coached from coach K from the begining.
Carr didn't.

Brady Quinn is a better prospect coming out in my opinion than David Carr, and he has a way better oppurtunity
Old 03-09-2007   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the differance between Carr and Kolb? One has played in the NFL for 5 years the other is just coming out of college, the same thing with Quinn and Carr.

As far as Quinn is concerned, I will admit I am biased because I am a HUGE Notre Dame fan. Quinn is very good at screens to 30 yards or so, but passes 30 or more ( in the air) he may have a tendancy to float the ball. I have seen numurous plays where BQ has thrown the ball down the middle and threaded it to the TE in between two defenders.

One thing most people do not understand about ND is that before Weis got there they were sucking and not performing well at all. Recruiting was attrocious under Ty Willingham, I am talking 15 or worse. Under Weis recruiting has greatly improved, so the talent is starting to get there, at least on the offensive side of the ball.

As someone who believes in Quinn, I will say that I would personnaly want to draft Levi brown because the Texans have to improve the O-line or there is no way any QB will succeed here. I will say I like Kolb and have seen his games as well, he is my second favorite QB in the draft. I know a lot of people like stanton but after seeing him, I think he will never do anything in the NFL except be a career back-up.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
Brady Quinn has played in big games, the biggest regular season college game of all time (vs usc last season).

Carr never played in big games.

Brady Quinn had good stats against credible opponents.
Carr didnt.

Brady Quinn went through thick, and played well through the thin as well.
Carr didn't.

Brady Quinn was coached by one of the best offensive minds in football.
Carr didn't.

Brady Quinn has a lot more awareness and plays very mature for a college qb.
Carr kind of did, but not on the level as quinn.

Brady Quinn had great numbers against premiere programs like LSU OSU Michgian USC Penn State Tenn.
I dont think carr played one of those programs.

Brady Quinn has an oppurtunity to play with a good offensive line, a good running back, a pro bowl receiver, and coached from coach K from the begining.
Carr didn't.

Brady Quinn is a better prospect coming out in my opinion than David Carr, and he has a way better oppurtunity

If i am not mistaken Fresno played against top 20 teams at the time and beat them.. N.D.. lost to top 20 teams
how is that "big games"?
Old 03-09-2007   #10
amazingandre
All Pro

imo the biggest differnce is if im not mistaking didnt carr have a good surrounding team?????quinns team sux....there defense was atrosicious and who were the receivers????/and quinns oline wasnt good and yet he was still rpoductive. he already knows how to deal with crap for supporting cast......
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #11
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Excellent question wolf, when I read the Len Pasqurelli article it bought me back to 2002. It sets up almost the same way, the #1 and #2 QB's just don't seem to be a sure thing and here we are trying to get one, it makes me scratch my head profusely.
Old 03-09-2007   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
If i am not mistaken Fresno played against top 20 teams at the time and beat them.. N.D.. lost to top 20 teams
how is that "big games"?
Wolf, who is the chick on your avatar? (I could care less for the Quinn discussion).
Old 03-09-2007   #13
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

QUINN IS NOT CARR! It's that simple. You CANNOT predict how a player will perform in the NFL. I don't care what college stats you put up there.

Why don't you tell me Tom Brady's college stats.

or tell me that Peyton Manning couldn't win the big game in Tennessee.

All that garbage means nothing. If Kubiak likes him and thinks he's his guy then go with him.

CARR HAS NOT GOTTEN IT DONE. He's had 5 years and not shown any IMPROVEMENT. Sure blame the OL, blame the skill positions, but the bottom line is Carr as a player has not progressed enough in 5 years. In fact the past month and a half of the season he got worse. To the point that Kubiak had to scroll down the playbook...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #14
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

Notre Dame only lost big games because their defense sucked and Quinn had to put up 45 points a game to beat them! However I would rather have Landry so our new QB won't have to do that.
Old 03-09-2007   #15
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Hero View Post
The difference is that this franchise is five years old now, it should be able to provide the support to Quinn that it was unable to give Carr.
Our offensive line is solid now? When did that happen?
Old 03-09-2007   #16
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
Notre Dame only lost big games because their defense sucked and Quinn had to put up 45 points a game to beat them! However I would rather have Landry so our new QB won't have to do that.
hmmmm, so I guess he's moving to an NFL team that has a defense that is great.

Would you care to know what Carr did in college as far as points is concerned?
Old 03-09-2007   #17
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

I'm not biased either way...but who ever said that Jeff Tedford sucks is dead wrong. The guy is an awesome coach, and his forte is the Quarterback position. Other than that and the fact that the Tennessee team that Quinn played had a terrible Defensive Backfield. That said, he did have a game that day. I'd rather not have Quinn, because compared to our other positions, he isn't looking that bad right now. There are other needs first.
Old 03-09-2007   #18
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

http://sportsyenta.blogspot.com/2006...ady-quinn.html

An interesting piece on Quinn
Old 03-09-2007   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair, Carr did lead victories against some quality opponents while he was at Fresno State. They defeated Wisconsin and Oregon State I believe and their head coach (I can't remember his name) has never been afraid to schedule against teams from major conferences. He just didn't play in as many big games as Quinn has.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Floats the ball on deep passes? Sounds like Carr to me.

Team defense sucked and he suffered for it? Sounds like Carr to me.

There is only one difference between Carr and Quinn: Age.

They both "look" good, that's about the only positive that I can see. He was on "Path to the Draft" and the tv hosts were raving about how his body looked at the combine when he took his shirt off for measurements. Whoopee.

You Domers need to curb your man crush on your QB. He's not awful, I'll grant you that, but he's not worthy of the No. 6 pick...He's a late first rounder at-best IMO.

Why we would attempt to drastically re-build this team with Quinn when we just dumped a No. 1 pick (Carr) is beyond me.

I hate UT. I was against VY coming here--I thought his performance in the Rose Bowl was a fluke. I was wrong. He DESTROYED a USC team every time he had the ball, regardless of USC's bad defense. He took the game over, on his shoulders, and this team very ignorantly passed on him in the draft. Looking back, I wished we had taken Vince.

But I cannot foresee me feeling that way about Quinn if he cam ehere. I have read a story in ESPN Magazine about him. I know he's all business, and I know he's ultra competitive. I "get" that. I really do.

But what I'm realizing is that this organization does not have the ability to see PERFORMANCES and grade a top-10 pick on those performances. If we did, we would have picked VY or RB...but we chose an unconventional route with Mario Williams, based on price vs. VY and RB.

But now we want to move up and SPEND on Brady Quinn?

That's the head-scratching part that I'm talking about. That's the sort of stuff that makes me consider leaving this team. I can understand busting on a few players at the top of the draft, but when you had VY in the palm of your hand....and wait for Brady Quinn...AND pay more (to move up) than you had to with VY...I gotta' sit back and re-evaluate the thinking process of this team's FO.

It's becoming a pattern, IMO. And it's getting stupid.

Dump Carr for another QB who "looks" good but has had about the same "big game" success as Carr?

When you stack VY and BQ side-by-side and you see how VY willed his team to victory...vs. BQ who "has a bad defense that he has to put up 45 points to try and win a game" then I have all I need to form my opinion.

David Carr also has had a bad defense that he needed to put up big points to overcome. You are 100% POSITIVELY SURE that BQ can come in and do what David didn't?

Because I gotta' tell you, at the end of the day, the two guys are spitting images of each other. Period.

Our defense is still awful. It didn't magically get better with a journeyman LB named Danny Clark that I've never heard of before. How is Quinn going to do what David didn't?

That's my big question: Tell me HOW BQ can do what DC couldn't?

I don't want to hear "Well, I think he has a better support system than Carr had..." and all that psychobabble nonsense that screams "I like N.D. and I think he'd do great here." We've got an LSU fan on this board who says "we ought to get Landry and it's not just because I am a HUGE LSU FAN." Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I like TTU, a lot, but I don't think any of those guys are fits for our team--They can play, especially Joel Filani at WR...but I don't hammer on you guys about how he would go over big on our team if we drafted him.

I can detach bias, unlike a lot of people here.

Again, at the end of the day, how does BQ get done what DC could not?

New guy, same problems. We need a bonified playmaker and game changer at QB. I don't see one that's worthy of that in this year's draft. JeMarcus Russell MIGHT be close to it, but I think he's still a bigger gamble than VY ever was.

Please let this be a smokescreen to leverage draft position.

Pretty please, with a cherry and whipped cream on top.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read