Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-09-2007   #1
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Jarrett at number 8 ????

I know this flies in the face of what everyone has been thinking, but so does everything else Kubiak does!

Finish off the free agency with:

Reed DT
The best CB avaiable (we need a veteran here)

1st round: D Jarrett
2nd round: Best FS available (let's say Merriweather)
3rd round: Kevin Kolb

Then you have:

Offense
QB: Carr/Rosenfels/Kolb (project)
WR1: AJ/Mathis/Armstrong
WR2: DJ/Walters (DJ and AJ will be a young duo to watch for years)
TE: O.D./Bruener
RB: Green/Lundy/Dayne/Taylor -cut DDW/Gado
FB: Leach/Cook (I wouldn't mind cutting Cook, and getting the FB just released from GB....I know, I know, I just hate Cook)
LT: Spencer/Salaam
LG: Pitts
C: McKinney/Flanagan/Weary
RG: Winston/Weary
RT: Black/Winston

Defense
DE: Mario/Babin
DT:TJ/Killings
DT: Reed/Dalton
DE: Weaver/Kalu
LB: Clark
LB: Greenwood
LB: Ryans/Orr
SS: Earl/Brown
FS: Merriweather
CB: DRob/Faggins
CB: FA pickup/Mcleon

That's one hell of a team to grow with. Concentrate on letting Lundy or Taylor develop behind Green, and if it doesn't work, grab a RB next year. WR is taken care of , a QB for the future is learning, and you have a great young OL developing. The linebacker corp is improving, and the secondary is instantly better. I would bet anything on this team getting 8 wins at least. And the best part is we're young.

I really see Kubiak surprising us with a dark horse WR in the first this year. They are positioning themselves for it perfectly, and he promised an offensive playmaker at the end of this season as the first round pick, and if AP is gone, why not grab a great WR. It's a big gamble, but if it pays off, it will REALLY pay off. Plus I love the idea of a new young stud WR learning from AJ now that he has a few years experience.

Spread the optimism!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #2
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jarrett at number 8 ????

No way we take a WR when there will be quality guys in other rounds on the first day.
Old 03-09-2007   #3
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

There are a lot of other WR we can take through the 3-7 rounds that will be good options for the Texans #2 and #3 WR spots.

I say take Quinn if he's there, if not I'm getting on the "draft Reggie Nelson" bandwagon... .
Old 03-09-2007   #4
real

That'd be a terrible pick...
Old 03-09-2007   #5
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Terrible pick!!! Keep on trying.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #6
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I would much rather have Laron Landry, Reggie Nelson in the first and S Rice in the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #7
Freeder
Rookie

The only WR the Texans could draft at #8 would be Calvin Johnson....anyone else would be a huge mistake.
Freeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2007   #8
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
That'd be a terrible pick...
I agreee. We have more pressing issues. Why not:

1. LaRon Landry
2. Chris Houston CB or Aaron Ross CB
3. Kevin Kolb or The Kid out of BYU
Old 03-09-2007   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I know this flies in the face of what everyone has been thinking, but so does everything else Kubiak does!

Finish off the free agency with:

Reed DT
The best CB avaiable (we need a veteran here)

1st round: D Jarrett

2nd round: Best FS available (let's say Merriweather)
3rd round: Kevin Kolb

Spread the optimism!
No way, no how. I can see the flawed logic of All Day. And I get the Leron overkill at the free safty. The only positive thing I can say about your suggestion is at least it isn't a gaurd. Which is what we get stuck with by most mockers in most off seasons that don't keep up with the team. Not Just no, But HE77 NO.

First thing is there are good prospects all the way though the teens at WR. It is a deep class. There is no need to reach. Secondly...the guy doesn't block. That's what we do here above all else. Our WRs must be able to block.
We run the GD football here in this system. First and always. The only WR I can see at the 8 is if they reach for the elite speed of Gunn Jr. That's it. I'm assuming of course that Calvin Johnson is off the board and they are not going to pay two guys #1 reciever money. With our limited cap space and our probablity to make the playoffs next year bording on the choices of slim and none...I don't think we make that move partner.
Old 03-09-2007   #10
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
There are a lot of other WR we can take through the 3-7 rounds that will be good options for the Texans #2 and #3 WR spots.

I say take Quinn if he's there, if not I'm getting on the "draft Reggie Nelson" bandwagon... .
Please not Quinn!!! Reggie would be one hell of a pick though. What I was referring to though was that press conference at the end of the season where Kubiak said he was taking a game changing offensive playmaker in the draft. Knowing that AP could easily be gone by #8, he must have been thinking WR or QB.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #11
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Please not Quinn!!! Reggie would be one hell of a pick though. What I was referring to though was that press conference at the end of the season where Kubiak said he was taking a game changing offensive playmaker in the draft. Knowing that AP could easily be gone by #8, he must have been thinking WR or QB.

If Quinn is there, then I say he's the best value for the #8 spot. If Peterson falls to the 8, then I say he's definitely the best pick.

Other than that, there is no other offensive playmaker worth taken in the 8th spot.

Then I say they should take Reggie Nelson if none of those two players are available. For some reason, I like Nelson better than Landry, but that's just my opinion, though.
Old 03-09-2007   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
If Quinn is there, then I say he's the best value for the #8 spot. If Peterson falls to the 8, then I say he's definitely the best pick.

Other than that, there is no other offensive playmaker worth taken in the 8th spot.

Then I say they should take Reggie Nelson if none of those two players are available. For some reason, I like Nelson better than Landry, but that's just my opinion, though.
I think you're right. The rummor mill in the bull pen has a big anoucment on DC today....we'll see. Agreed starting over at the QB position, I could live with BQ if he's there.
Old 03-09-2007   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

huge reach on a player ya don't need. not a good combo.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #14
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Nope. I think Jarrett will be a fine NFL wideout (great size, terrific body control and unreal hands) but our first two picks should be in areas of greater need; DB or OL depending on BPA and this is a deep draft for WRs. Someone like Jarrett's teammate Steve Smith (terrific route runner, career full of clutch catches) could fall to the third round and there should even be some promising prospects falling to the second day.

Calvin Johnson on the other hand...I'd take him with the first pick if I were Oakland. That guy's about as can't miss as a sawed-off shotgun at point-blank range, and about as subtle when he explodes downfield.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #15
Xman
Veteran

if they reach - it would probably be a CB - not a WR

and then only because CBs are almost as hard to find as left tackles - everything else can at least usually be "patched" through free agency. Of course the "patches" are usually expensive older players that are not worth their money - but at least they fill the position.

and if they reach for a WR - I doubt it would be Jarrett. If anyone, Ginn (but more likely a speed WR later in the draft). I think Jarrett will be a solid possession WR. We need a speed WR to pull the safeties to the other side of the field and away from AJ. I think this is why they considered Lelie - he would ave just lined up and gone deep - forcing a safety to cover over the cb or risk giving up a big play.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #16
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
I agreee. We have more pressing issues. Why not:

1. LaRon Landry
2. Chris Houston CB or Aaron Ross CB
3. Kevin Kolb or The Kid out of BYU
Aaron Ross = Aaron Glenn . I just wanted you all to know. He will be another version of Aaron Glenn.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
huge reach on a player ya don't need. not a good combo.
Well the great thing about that pick Kast...we get to go top ten again next year if Spencer doesn't make it back and they don't hit the second teired guy at OLT. Should be a hoard of OLT prospects out there next draft just judging by who all went back. All Quinn has to do is stand there this year, watch as the other two qbs get killed, and learn Kubes system. Doubt he'll be on the board though. He'll be locked and loaded for '08, with a better o-line, if they take him. Kubiack has prety much proved what he could do with out a QB. Might be a panic pick. But I could see it happening if he falls to us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read