Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2007   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Eric Winston

Though I don't think newly signed Jordan Black will take his place, his signing got me thinking: is Winston a starter next year? I thought he did well last year, but I don't have a DVR to review tape like some others. Do you feel he should start next year?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston

Quality Back-up
Old 03-08-2007   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Winston will start next year, it just hasn't been decided if he's starting at RG or RT (maybe even LT if necessary).
Old 03-08-2007   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Winston will start next year, it just hasn't been decided if he's starting at RG or RT (maybe even LT if necessary).
He may undoubtedly start next season, but I don't know if he will hold his spot any longer than that. Depending on how the FO uses the draft, he may or may not be in the starting lineup for 2008.

Personally I think he will wind up just being a backup swing tackle.
Old 03-08-2007   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now he has to be better than Salaam or Black - not too tough a hill to climb.
Old 03-08-2007   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know i was thinking about this and i seriously do not think that jordon black's signing will effect what the coaching staff has planned for eric winston...he is penciled in as the starter at RT...which is exactly where he needs to be...the philosophy i use with o-lineman drafted is this...if you were drafted in the first day then by half-way through your second year you should be the starter at your position unless you are behind a quality veteran that you were picked up to replace when they retire

i see jordon black being more of a guy who is here to challenge charles spencer and to help keep salaam from having to start another 14 games...but he is also here as insurence so that in the worst-case scenario that winston starts to fail at RT or becomes injuried we don't have to rely on UDFA's, late-round draft picks that aren't ready to play, or a street free agent that should be on the roster

i have all the confidence in the world in eric's abilities and expect him to hold onto the starting job as the RT for this team for years to come and to even make a few pro bowls in the process
Old 03-08-2007   #7
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Winston did some good things last year...some not so good...but he did'nt get much of an opportunity until later on in the season. I think more than anything he just needs to get some more playing time. Jury out til then.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2007   #8
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
Winston did some good things last year...some not so good...but he did'nt get much of an opportunity until later on in the season. I think more than anything he just needs to get some more playing time. Jury out til then.
I agree, I mean...the guy was just a rookie! He was going to have his ups and downs and now with a season under his belt, I think he has a really good shot at starting, either at RT or RG.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If you have the Nashville game on tape, go watch it. Winston fills in for Salaam for most of one series... 7 plays I think, & I think he played better than Salaam.

Well, Salaam had a really bad game after he got back into that game.

But if you want to get a look at him at Left Tackle, watch that game.

I was impressed.
Old 03-08-2007   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

My biggest wish where the offensive line is concerned after "Spencer returns and plays LT like they hoped he would" is that Winston keeps the RT spot and holds onto it all year long.

If he can do that then he's probably got a good shot at keeping it for another year and the improvement we should see between the end of last year and the end of next year ought to be significant.

Look at offensive linemen drafted by the Texans. Disregard the free agents and just focus on the players we have selected.

I'm sure I'll leave someone out but

Chester Pitts (Starting LG Texans)
Fred Weary (Starting RG Texans)
Milford Brown (Starting RG Cardinals)

Seth Wand (2nd String LT Titans)

Nobody (and that's a crime)

Drew Hodgdon (Starting C Texans)

Charles Spencer (Starting LT Texans)
Eric Winston (Starting RT Texans)

Ok, so Hodgdon is listed as the starting center according to the depth chart at NFL.com and we all know that's not really the case. He doesn't belong there and Flanagan or McKinney or somebody is going to send him back to the bench. Also Spencer was gone to IR almost as soon as the season started and Eric Winston only got the job at his spot due to injury.

I admit that none of these guys are on spectacular lines and some might be one bad camp from not making their team but, at least for the present the Texans have not drafted an offensive lineman who's washed out completely. No offensive lineman drafted by the Texans is "out of football" and flipping burgers.

if Winston comes back and works his butt off he'll be the starting RT for another season and that's all anyone can ask for in the NFL. We haven't really drafted much in the way of offensive line and our free agents have been mostly band-aid scrubs but our drafted OL prospects I think mostly suffered from lousy coaching and a bad system.
Old 03-08-2007   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Barring injury you will be seeing Winston at RT for 20 games next season. He did improve as he played, he has an attitude and most importantly, the coaches like his improvement as well.
Old 03-08-2007   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We haven't really drafted much in the way of offensive line and our free agents have been mostly band-aid scrubs but our drafted OL prospects I think mostly suffered from lousy coaching and a bad system.
Lots of good data in the post to lead us to this conclusion. I've been saying the same but your list of draftees and their current status makes it clearer.

Maybe they'll stick with Winston and show they've learned. The signing of Black continues the trend of band-aid scrubs in free agency though.
Old 03-08-2007   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i don't think that jordon black is going to be a stop gap signing...i think the reason for the short contract is simply due to the fact that if spencer comes back healthy that kubiak obviously feels that he drafted his two starting tackles last year...at which point there is no reason to sign anyone to a long term contract...now if spencer can't come back then instead of having to rely on salaam to make it 16 games we have black who did ok in kansas city for only having one year at the position...keep in mind that black was a RT the year before and it does take time for lineman to get used to coming out of a different stance...this is why he was slower getting out of his stance this year...as was the same reason winston was slower this year compared to the year before at miami...when he's get used to coming out of a right handed stance to make them do it left handed just takes time to acustomed them to it...that's why i think if both of them start this year you'll see both of them have good seasons
Old 03-08-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The signing of Black continues the trend of band-aid scrubs in free agency though.
But with a very significant distinction to some past signings, especially Oline FAs. Black's contract is only 3.5 M over 2 years, with a 1.2 M signing bonus,
as compared to guaranteed money of 10 M alone for Todd Wade 3 or 4 years
ago.
McNair is probably already feeling good about having tightwad RS as compared to spendthrift CC.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Barring injury you will be seeing Winston at RT for 20 games next season. He did improve as he played, he has an attitude and most importantly, the coaches like his improvement as well.
Are you saying what I think you're saying??
Old 03-08-2007   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Are you saying what I think you're saying??
Yes - he's our pre-season starter.
Old 03-08-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
But with a very significant distinction to some past signings, especially Oline FAs. Black's contract is only 3.5 M over 2 years, with a 1.2 M signing bonus,
as compared to guaranteed money of 10 M alone for Todd Wade 3 or 4 years
ago.
McNair is probably already feeling good about having tightwad RS as compared to spendthrift CC.
not to mention Black has only been in the league 4 years, he's going to be around for a while, just like Spencer, Weary, Hogdon, Spencer(fingers crossed) & Winston.

We're not only getting depth, but we're getting younger.
Old 03-08-2007   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Yes - he's our pre-season starter.
Dagnabit.... I was adding the 4 games to the end of the season.

Old 03-08-2007   #19
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Nevermind.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!

Last edited by Clash_Fan3605; 03-08-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: I deleted this because it was already said 3 times in a minute.
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Though I don't think newly signed Jordan Black will take his place, his signing got me thinking: is Winston a starter next year? I thought he did well last year, but I don't have a DVR to review tape like some others. Do you feel he should start next year?
Winston should start. I like us signing Black, it gives us a more solid OT option than Ephraim Salaam was last year who could also start at either OT spot if Spencer isn't ready to go at the start of the year, and he could probably even play OG for us too if they decide to move him there. Winston could play OG and he's probably built a little more like a prototypical OG, but he's definitely a good enough athlete to stay at OT, so I personally would prefer to keep him there. He played pretty well overall there last year and definitely showed improvement as the season went on. I personally think Spencer and Winston were drafted to be our long-term OTs and they will likely stay there, unless of course Spencer's leg isn't good enough to go at the start of the season. However, Black gives us another solid OT that could challenge for a starting spot at OT with the two sophomores or could either play OG himself or bump Winston inside to OG.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read