Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2007   #1
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP
Default Weary at C?

I remember that Weary played C in college from some posting a while back... anyone have insight as to whether he fits a C mold in the NFL...

LT Spencer/Black
LG Pitts
C Weary
RG Winston
RT Salaam/Black

The idea is Winston is too short armed to play tackle, but is effective. Can Salaam and Black hold the fort with Spencer if ready?

Or do we draft a long term C this year? Kalil in the 2nd, Landry in the first, edwards (QB stanford in the 3rd) is what I am hoping for at this point.
Old 03-08-2007   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Weary at C?

Weary was the top ranked center in 2002 .
Old 03-08-2007   #3
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
I remember that Weary played C in college from some posting a while back... anyone have insight as to whether he fits a C mold in the NFL...

LT Spencer/Black
LG Pitts
C Weary
RG Winston
RT Salaam/Black

The idea is Winston is too short armed to play tackle, but is effective. Can Salaam and Black hold the fort with Spencer if ready?

Or do we draft a long term C this year? Kalil in the 2nd, Landry in the first, edwards (QB stanford in the 3rd) is what I am hoping for at this point.

i like Landry and Kalil but am leaning towards Drew Stanton (if available) or Kevin Kolb in the 3rd
Old 03-08-2007   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
i like Landry and Kalil but am leaning towards Drew Stanton (if available) or Kevin Kolb in the 3rd
Agreed. I would consider this draft a complete success if we landed Landry and Stanton.
Old 03-08-2007   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think weary has the ability to start at Center but i think he has found a nice little nitch for himself as the starting RG for us here...i wouldn't move him now after starting the majority of the season last year at that position...keep in mind that the best way to see progress along an o-line is to have continuity along it...by not changing everyone's position every year is very good thing...let him stay at RG and reach his full potential at that position
Old 03-08-2007   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

You have got Flanagan, Hogdon and Mckinney. Who do you cut Flanagan and Hogdon? Weary at C could be an upgrade???
Old 03-08-2007   #7
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

From my knowledge, this is what I would do, opening day have this lineup:

LT: Black
LG: Pitts
C: McKinney
RG: Weary
RT: Winston

When spencer comes back...shift things around:

LT: Spencer
C: Weary
RG: Winston
RT: Black

or if you don't wanna move an inexperienced Winston around do this:

LT: Black
C: Weary
RG: Spencer
RT: Winston

I think black really helps us out, we don't need to draft a tackle now, because we have two young tackles, and two veteran backups, and another vet that can start. We have our two starting guards.

In the draft I would take an o linemen 5th round, like a center or guard for depth, but htats about it, the black signing was huge.
Old 03-08-2007   #8
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I didn't realize that Weary played center. If this is a real option, I think it would be best to look to draft the best available C or OT and then shift players around as necessary to the best five on the field.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #9
GTFan
Rookie

I just can't believe with the assortment of crappy centers we've put out there over the last 3-4 years that Weary would just ride the pine up if he was a standout Center (i.e. why draft Hogden when you have a C in Weary?). It would be nice, though, to have a Center already on the roster that could excel and save us a draft pick. And we could let go of Flanagan's contract.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

well that's because this team has always looked at fred as a guard not a center...simply put i've never read or heard anything from either coaching staff where they wanted to see if weary could play center in the pros...i wouldn't worry too much about the center position...between flanagan, mckinney, hodgdon, and white that's still pretty good competition...if we get lucky and ryan kalil is there in round 2 you add him to the list and we'll be cutting probably three guys on that list...i think we just need to have faith in kubiak and smith...they seem to have better grasp on what free agency is about than the previous staff
Old 03-08-2007   #11
GTFan
Rookie

I like Kalil, but if we have all this depth at C in Weary, Flanagan, McKinney and Hogden, then would it make more sense to get a stud CB like Hughes/Ross in the 2nd than Kalil? Will Kalil be as big an upgrade over Flanagan/McKinney as a 2nd round CB would be over Faggins. That is if we feel we have depth at C.
Old 03-08-2007   #12
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

For a guy who has played C before it is not that difficult transition to move back to the position. Weary really was a stand out C in college and #1 in his draft class. He would be upgrade over who ever we have right now.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Depth at center. Let's review:

McKinney - Previous Center. So good that the new coaches immediately looked to upgrade at Center.
Flanagan - injury prone, played poorly while on the line.
Hodgodn - Played so well, after his first game starting, the Texans went back to McKinney.

Weary is not Center because he is a good guard. That does not mean they won't move him to Center, just that I think the odds of Weary playing Center are equal to the odds of Pitts playing Left Tackle. Both can play those positions well, but they are better for the team as guards.

This still leaves the Texans without a Center. I suspect McKinney, Flanagan, or Hodgdon will lose their job before the season starts, but I still think Center will be a focus in the draft - Kalil/Datish.
Old 03-08-2007   #14
GTFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post
For a guy who has played C before it is not that difficult transition to move back to the position. Weary really was a stand out C in college and #1 in his draft class. He would be upgrade over who ever we have right now.
If someone was #1 in their draft class at a position, then they should start for the Texans. I don't care if we're talking the #1 Waterboy in his class. Something just doesn't add up here. If Weary was looked at as more of a guard, he still didn't crack the Texans poor starting line up until last year. If he could have been playing C all this time, save the money on Flanagan. To not find a way to play a 3rd round pick is like having both Winston and Spencer sit on the bench their first 3-4 years. Just doesn't make sense.

PS I would love to see Weary at C given he was the #1 C in his draft class.

Levi Brown Pitts Weary Winston/Spencer Spencer/Winston/Black

That would be a nice young OL and I would add, all starters drafted by the Texans on day 1.
Old 03-08-2007   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
Depth at center. Let's review:

McKinney - Previous Center. So good that the new coaches immediately looked to upgrade at Center.
Flanagan - injury prone, played poorly while on the line.
Hodgodn - Played so well, after his first game starting, the Texans went back to McKinney.

Weary is not Center because he is a good guard. That does not mean they won't move him to Center, just that I think the odds of Weary playing Center are equal to the odds of Pitts playing Left Tackle. Both can play those positions well, but they are better for the team as guards.

This still leaves the Texans without a Center. I suspect McKinney, Flanagan, or Hodgdon will lose their job before the season starts, but I still think Center will be a focus in the draft - Kalil/Datish.

This is a good breakdown of the Center position OSQ. I think, if we draft Kalil in the 2nd, you can be pretty sure that Hodgdon and maybe Flanagan will not be on the opening day roster. I also think that Kubes and Smith have been looking at Guards (Carlisle in FA and Alleman at Combine) with the intention of moving McKinney back to Center for good, either as the starter or the mentor for Kalil or whoever we get in the draft. When the new C is ready, then Mckinney becomes the backup. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Something just doesn't add up here. If Weary was looked at as more of a guard, he still didn't crack the Texans poor starting line up until last year.
Historically the Texans haven't made the best use of the talent they've had; many times it doesn't seem they've even identified it.

The Texans may be starting to develop their young talent; that would be a good shift for them.
Old 03-08-2007   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I suspect McKinney, Flanagan, or Hodgdon will lose their job before the season starts, but I still think Center will be a focus in the draft - Kalil/Datish.
I haven't been a big McKinney fan, but he does seem to be a good run blocker in the system from the center position. If the Texans really are going to be a running team, and with Green they may be, run blocking has to become a major factor in deciding playing time. This gives McKinney the edge over the other two.
Old 03-08-2007   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
If someone was #1 in their draft class at a position, then they should start for the Texans. I don't care if we're talking the #1 Waterboy in his class. Something just doesn't add up here. If Weary was looked at as more of a guard, he still didn't crack the Texans poor starting line up until last year. If he could have been playing C all this time, save the money on Flanagan. To not find a way to play a 3rd round pick is like having both Winston and Spencer sit on the bench their first 3-4 years. Just doesn't make sense.

PS I would love to see Weary at C given he was the #1 C in his draft class.

Levi Brown Pitts Weary Winston/Spencer Spencer/Winston/Black

That would be a nice young OL and I would add, all starters drafted by the Texans on day 1.
Even if a player feels ready to play, he may not be ready to hit the field. Some players are rougher than others. That may have been why Weary wasn't getting playing time.

On the other hand, the old regime had players that were in and players that were out. And if you were out, it didn't matter how good you were, Pendry wasn't going to play you. It was a political thing, and it really messed up the line.
Old 03-08-2007   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
It was a political thing, and it really messed up the line.
And tight end. And receiver.
Old 03-09-2007   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It was a political thing, and it really messed up the line.
that's exactly why pendry isn't coaching anywhere these days

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read