Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2007   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QB situation, now what?

OK, what are our options at QB, and what do you think the Texans will do?

The situation now, as I see it, with all of the good QB FA's gone is in one way we are in the drivers seat, with regards to trading Carr, and the other way we are in the hot seat, with regards to not having an established QB, should Carr be traded.

Drivers Seat

I still think Carr will be traded, and I think his value should be going up. There are still teams looking for a starting QB (like Oak. and Minn.) that may want to get a vet in while a rookie watches and learns. The way I see it the Vikes are in a key position for the Texans. They let Brad Johnson go and I think they are desperate for a veteran QB. I know they were interested in Carr earlier, and then there was a rumor about a trade for Schaub, but I haven't heard anything in awhile. Sure, they could pick Quinn at #7, but then he would probably be "thrown into the fire" pretty soon. I still think they are our best chance for a trade.

Oakland is another interesting situation. Do they stand pat with their QB's and draft Russell, or do they go after Carr or Schaub and then draft Johnson? And, if they do decide to get Russell, would they still get another vet QB to start while Russell learns?

Hot Seat

If we do trade Carr, that leaves us with only Sage as a QB with any NFL experience. So, who do we get to start and who do we draft? I still think somehow that Plummer could still be in the mix. Other than that I don't know who is left out there that would be a good fit.

As for the draft, if the Vikes get Carr or Schaub, then I'm not sure they would draft Quinn. They may wait until later rounds to get Stanton, Kolb, Smith, or Edwards. But, if they don't get Carr or Schaub, then I think they are in a bind and would most likely pick Quinn. So, I guess the question becomes, if we trade Carr and the Vikes take Quinn, who would the Texans pick and in what round?

What say you?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #2
DGPowaR
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to DGPowaR
Default Re: QB situation, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
OK, what are our options at QB, and what do you think the Texans will do?

The situation now, as I see it, with all of the good QB FA's gone is in one way we are in the drivers seat, with regards to trading Carr, and the other way we are in the hot seat, with regards to not having an established QB, should Carr be traded.

Drivers Seat

I still think Carr will be traded, and I think his value should be going up. There are still teams looking for a starting QB (like Oak. and Minn.) that may want to get a vet in while a rookie watches and learns. The way I see it the Vikes are in a key position for the Texans. They let Brad Johnson go and I think they are desperate for a veteran QB. I know they were interested in Carr earlier, and then there was a rumor about a trade for Schaub, but I haven't heard anything in awhile. Sure, they could pick Quinn at #7, but then he would probably be "thrown into the fire" pretty soon. I still think they are our best chance for a trade.

Oakland is another interesting situation. Do they stand pat with their QB's and draft Russell, or do they go after Carr or Schaub and then draft Johnson? And, if they do decide to get Russell, would they still get another vet QB to start while Russell learns?

Hot Seat

If we do trade Carr, that leaves us with only Sage as a QB with any NFL experience. So, who do we get to start and who do we draft? I still think somehow that Plummer could still be in the mix. Other than that I don't know who is left out there that would be a good fit.

As for the draft, if the Vikes get Carr or Schaub, then I'm not sure they would draft Quinn. They may wait until later rounds to get Stanton, Kolb, Smith, or Edwards. But, if they don't get Carr or Schaub, then I think they are in a bind and would most likely pick Quinn. So, I guess the question becomes, if we trade Carr and the Vikes take Quinn, who would the Texans pick and in what round?

What say you?
i say, do whats necessary to get CJ OR AP...

cuz although the first isnt a possibility, i would shat my pants if we did...
DGPowaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #3
macaronitoni
Rookie

Sage Rosenfels will take the first, and most likely the last snap as well in 2007. Kevin Kolb will be the QB Kubiak grooms. Wait and see for yourself.
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #4
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPowaR View Post
i say, do whats necessary to get CJ OR AP...

cuz although the first isnt a possibility, i would shat my pants if we did...
Soo, Carr, 2nd Round, 3rd Round for Oaks first round and Tommy Kelly (I would love this guy) in order to draft CJ?

Edit: I could probably do this on madden ...
Old 03-08-2007   #5
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think Kubiak will get Plummer from Tampa Bay. He will have to give up a draft pick but he will get it back when he trades Carr. ESPN reorted tonight that Plummer still hasn't filed retirement papers yet.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #6
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Minnesota might suprise me but i think they like what they got in Tavaras(sp) Jackson. I thought he played well later in the season. Wasn't he a seond rounder?

Oakland might be a different thing. I honestly have no clue about them. Al Davis is a strange creature. But i thought they had a good draft last year. From Most accounts at least from fans say they like Walter but he needs line help. I don'tthink they'll go Thomas after the Gallery incident. But...Moss is on the block, Porter and Curry are in. What if ol Al suprised us all...Moves Moss for a second rounder and pulls and Atlanta/San Diego Deal ala Mike Vick.

I think the Plummer deal nixed our Offseason QB plans. I'm 50-50 on that. If nothing gets done as the draft approaches it's more likely Carr will start next year i think.

Honestly surveying the offseason Qb's i think Plummer would've been the only successful candidate here.
Old 03-08-2007   #7
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I still think Kubiak will get Plummer from Tampa Bay. He will have to give up a draft pick but he will get it back when he trades Carr. ESPN reorted tonight that Plummer still hasn't filed retirement papers yet.
That's interesting! I thought he filed them awhile ago, and I thought I heard something about the NFL FO looking into when he filed them. Because if he filed them before Denver traded him (the 2nd time) then they still owed him bonus money I think. Not quite sure of the details about this, but it had to do with money (of course) and who had the rights to his contract when he filed his papers. Maybe someone else on the MB can clear this up a bit.
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2007   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
Minnesota might suprise me but i think they like what they got in Tavaras(sp) Jackson. I thought he played well later in the season. Wasn't he a seond rounder?

Oakland might be a different thing. I honestly have no clue about them. Al Davis is a strange creature. But i thought they had a good draft last year. From Most accounts at least from fans say they like Walter but he needs line help. I don'tthink they'll go Thomas after the Gallery incident. But...Moss is on the block, Porter and Curry are in. What if ol Al suprised us all...Moves Moss for a second rounder and pulls and Atlanta/San Diego Deal ala Mike Vick.

I think the Plummer deal nixed our Offseason QB plans. I'm 50-50 on that. If nothing gets done as the draft approaches it's more likely Carr will start next year i think.

Honestly surveying the offseason Qb's i think Plummer would've been the only successful candidate here.
I would be surprised if Minn. did nothing and stuck with Jackson. I don't think I've heard any vote of confidence in Jackson at all, and I can't believe they would go into this season with him as their starting QB. If that is the case though, then I think there is no way they pass on Quinn at #7. BTW who is Jackson's backup?
Old 03-08-2007   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still think Carr will be traded, and I think his value should be going up.
What say you?
You're forgetting about Carr's contract. There might be a GM out there who might want to give Carr a try, but that fat contract of his kills the chances of any trade.

They'll have to either cut him, or keep him. Cutting him is an admission of a horrendous mistake.

Swallow hard.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I would be surprised if Minn. did nothing and stuck with Jackson. I don't think I've heard any vote of confidence in Jackson at all, and I can't believe they would go into this season with him as their starting QB. If that is the case though, then I think there is no way they pass on Quinn at #7. BTW who is Jackson's backup?
I think Minnesota is fine with Jackson. That doesn't mean they plan to start him. But If they let go of Brad Johnson, I don't think they are desperate. I don't see them being interested in Quinn at all.

It would be silly for them to get veteran, then have Jackson as the backup, and Quinn being groomed. I think they'll try to get Green, or maybe Kitna... wasn't he released from Detroit??

The idea is to get someone who can win, until your guy is ready.

Oakland, after going 2-14, I doubt winning is that important. They'll probably draft a QB, and let Touiasosopa(sp), and Walther get their clocks cleaned till the rook is ready to start. I think they should go with Joe Thomas(as he'll probably help their team the most) or CJ (as he's the most talented player in this draft).
Old 03-08-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You're forgetting about Carr's contract. There might be a GM out there who might want to give Carr a try, but that fat contract of his kills the chances of any trade.

They'll have to either cut him, or keep him. Cutting him is an admission of a horrendous mistake.

Swallow hard.
my thoughts on that, from another thread:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The play now, is for Plummer to not retire, and force Tampa to pay him, or cut him. It would be in Tampa's best interest to work a deal out with us for the trade. We need to show that we are satisfied with our QB situation.

The best thing we could have done, would have been to get David to restructure to a more cap friendly deal. Same 4 million guaranteed, with a lower salary(say in the $3 million range) but for more than the 2 years he has now... say 4 or 5 years. If they did it right, at the same time Andre did his, it would look like we were just extending his contract, and that we are in fact happy with him. We might be able to pull that off now.

No Ramsey, no Plummer, if we can get David to restructure, say we're ending our QB conundrum right now, and moving on, then Tampa may change how they see their position, and try to move Plummer.

It would help all sides. David will be more attractive if his contract is already restructured.... I don't know if a $3million salary would be low enough to raise interest, but it would be more attractive than the $5.75 million he is scheduled to earn.

It would help our position, and make it look like we are satisfied with our position.

Tampa Bay would realize if they want to get anything for Plummer(say Dexter McLeon, or Jason Simmons) they better get while the getting is good, otherwise they'll have to cut Jake, and get nothing.
Old 03-08-2007   #12
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Swallow hard.
I still think there's someone out there that will take him. His contract isn't that fat (like Vicks) to prohibit every team. The thing that has teams mulling over the deal is what the Texans are asking (3rd or 4th rd pick). But, as all the good QB FA's get signed, Carr's stock has to be rising for teams like Oak. and Minn. who may be looking for a vet QB.

I think the Texans are sitting back and waiting. If the Vikes feel they have to give up too much for Schaub, they just might go back to the Texans and start dealing again. JMHO!
Old 03-08-2007   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my thoughts on that, from another thread:
And his incentive for restructuring would be . . . . ????
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
And his incentive for restructuring would be . . . . ????
a contract that says he'll get paid $3million in '07. I doubt he'll get that if he's cut.
Old 03-08-2007   #15
petedy
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 petedy seems to be losing the respect of his peers

I think Kubiak and Smith are trying to play hardball with other teams in the league.Why,I do not know.I thought they were going to release Carr and pick up Ramsey but all this secrecy is confusing to figure.Carr is no where to be found,Sage is at all the news conferences and they say Carr is their QB which is usually a death nill for a player, so what now? Either they have had a deal already in place waiting on draft day or they truly see nothing out there that they like.They could also be satisfied with Carr'simprovement and see through some of the bad play or maybe Sage is the one who'll be traded. They are being the old riverboat gamblers.But with all that has been said about Carr in Houston by everyone including a couple of teamates I can't him even staying.Because I know I would what to go elsewhere.
petedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #16
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedy View Post
Carr is no where to be found
Did it occur to anyone that he's out somewhere trying to better himself for this year? (if this is true I hope that he's doing passing drills with AJ ....)
Old 03-08-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedy View Post
They could also be satisfied with Carr'simprovement and see through some of the bad play or maybe Sage is the one who'll be traded. .
I've been re-watching my taped games, & so far, I've noticed a few games(NYGiants, and Jax @ Reliant, Miami wasn't bad, and neither was Washington) where Carr played really well. enough to agree with this conclusion.

I've been down on Carr for a while now, & I thought '06 was going to go one of two ways, Carr was going to start out slow(like always) but come mid season, something was going to click, and he was going to blossom into the QB we all want behind Center, or he was going to give up, and just go through the motions. I think he chose the latter after the Nashville game.

& that is the only reason I could see Kubiak washing his hands of him. If I'm wrong about that, I could see Kubiak being happier with him than he is letting on, but I don't know why he'd want to "disguise" how he really felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Did it occur to anyone that he's out somewhere trying to better himself for this year? (if this is true I hope that he's doing passing drills with AJ ....)
I've been asking Hulk75 if this was the case, but he hasn't been very forthcoming with the answer... because of my post history, I can understand that. Maybe you should ask him, and get us an answer.
Old 03-08-2007   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Got to love the irony of people who call David Carr trash and say his performance warrants his ticket out of town but in the next breath espouse his high trade value.

I personally think there are a number of teams that would give up possibly even a third for him but you've got to realize that his performance to date means that any "value" is still primarily about as yet unrealized potential.
Old 03-08-2007   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Got to love the irony of people who call David Carr trash and say his performance warrants his ticket out of town but in the next breath espouse his high trade value.

I personally think there are a number of teams that would give up possibly even a third for him but you've got to realize that his performance to date means that any "value" is still all about as yet unrealized potential.
100% agreed. This is perhaps the most intelligent thing I have heard anyone say about anything, ever.

True Carr haters would be saying that Carr has no trade value whatsoever and should just be dropped whenever possible. I mean, come on. If he is worth a 3rd to someone else, or a higher 1st round pick, why would we trade him? It's not like we have a Tom Brady waiting behind him to pick up where he left off. I know some people have a high on Sage Rosenfels, and that is fine. But you really have to analyze your thinking before bashing David and talking about his trade value in the same sentence.

I should avoid this Message Board during the offseason. Tis' a silly place.
Old 03-08-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've been asking Hulk75 if this was the case, but he hasn't been very forthcoming with the answer... because of my post history, I can understand that. Maybe you should ask him, and get us an answer.

Hulk75 chimed in on another thread http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36343

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read