Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-07-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our biggest needs and how we can improve them:

I no particular order, here are some things that I think every NFL team needs that we currently do not posses:

1. A 16 game NFL quality LT
We currently have Spencer, who may or may not return. We also have Salaam, who did great for what was asked of him, but should not be required to be a 16 game LT. No one else on the team is LT quality, unless the FO is thinking of moving Pitts to LT, Weary to LG, and keeping McKinney at RG. Lets hope this doesn't happen. Anyway, in my opinion, we still need an LT.

2. A 16 game NFL quality Center

Flannagan may be cut, and even if he's still around, I don't know how reliable he is. He's certainly not up to playing a full season. Drew Hodgon has done almost nothing to impress me. In fact, I'm surprised he's still here. Why keep a player around who isn't good enough to play? Losing your job to McKinney speaks volumes there. I think McKinney is a good run blocker, but he's got an inflated contract and is a liability in pass protection, so I think we should improve this spot.

3. A strong side outside linebacker who tackles consistently and doesn't get eaten alive in coverage.
Orr was the weak link in our LB corp last year. He may not have missed tackles, but he was around them so infrequently it almost didn't matter. We don't need a probowler here, just someone to keep containment on the outside and let Ryans clean up. I know SAMs don't get as many tackles as the weakside do, but averaging 2 tackles a game? Come on..

4. A #2 option WR who runs good routes over the middle and can hang on to the ball.

Personally, i think speed is overrated in WRs. Sure it helps, but what I want is quickness off the line and good route running with the ability to jump and catch the ball. Our offense is too immature to utilize a deep threat. And we already have Johnson, who is a blazing speedster. How many teams have two speed guys out there every play? I can't think of any. The optimal combination seems to be a guy that will kill you under and guy that can break out over the top. They complement each other.

5. A NFL caliber QB.

I think Carr is gone. And I think Sage is overrated. Starting in the NFl is very different from subbing or playing the preseason. He may be our guy. The problem is, we don't know. And Im not ready to salvage the season finding out.

6. A disrupting DT.
I don't know what TJ is, but he's not a disrupting DT. I want a big fast guy that can break the pocket form the outside and pull double teams off our ends.

7. A #2 cornerback.
Faggins is a fantastic nickle back with almost no speed. I don't know how good DRob is, because teams always switched their #1 guys over to Faggins side and then we got to sit around and watch him get burned. I was at the Buffalo game. It wasn't pretty. Faggins is just flat out too slow to play starting CB in the NFL, and I want someone who isn't such a liability.

8. A FS with coverage ability

Our Safety corp isn't terrible at helping on run support. The problem is, they both take horrible angles to the ball and bite on the playaction. This isn't as much of a problem with Glenn, but Brown needs to be able to at least help a little in pass protection. An upgrade here would make our whole defense look better.

Thing I don't think we need:
A G or RT.
I'm ok letting the guys we have hold down those positions

A TE or RB
We now have committees for each of those positions that I think can get the job done

A DE
Babin + Weaver + Williams should be good enough. Those guys have talent, and are making huge amounts of money, so I'm not ready to invest any more into that position. Either the rest of our team is making them look worse than they are, the coaches aren't getting the best out of them, or we misscouted. I'm not ready to accept the last one

A Weakside linebacker
I think Greenwood is better than average. i think he looks underwhelming because people want all our LBs to tackle like Ryans. Greenwood was in on a lot of plays last season, and is starting to make the big play every now and again. He's performing better than he did in Miami, so I don't think he's underachieved at all

How to fix our needs:
We only have three ways of improving our team:
1. The NFL Draft
2. Free Agency
3. Make our existing players better

We have 8 positions of great need on our team. Lets assume that we have an awesome draft, and pull instant starters out of rounds 1-4, and project guys out of rounds 5-7. I think thats pretty realistic. If that happens, we still have holes in 4/8 of our positions of need! Even if Spencer comes back healthy, we'll still have 3 gaping holes on our team.

I hate free agency because I think players are always overpaid and often underperform, but if the organization isn't planning on picking up a few extra day 1 picks, we need to fill a few more of these spots prior to draft day or we are going to go into the next season knowing we have glaring weaknesses.
Old 03-07-2007   #2
texans83
All Pro

Default Re: Our biggest needs and how we can improve them:

great post.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #3
Trenches
Veteran

great assessment of the team.

I agree 99.9%. I think that a team like Houston HAS to overpay in FA just to get quality players to come. The problem has been the are overpaying for medicore players. To fill all these holes thru the draft would take 3 years of almost perfect drafting.

I also think that most of these are glaring needs and shows just how far away this team is from being taken seriously. One or two of the right positions filled with guys with a mean streak and an attitude would go a long way, though.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #4
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope I can make some strong suggestions to possibly fix our team:

1. LT-Draft...teams don't let quality LT's go to Free Agency. We need Levi Brown, Joe Staley or Tony Ugoh. (my guess...2nd round pick)

2. C-Again...you don't see great Centers flying from team to team. The draft has a couple intriguing possibilities this year. Kalil is obviously on everyone's list, but he won't be there in the second. Datish and Satele are the next best thing and despite both having some question marks, given good coaching and time to develop, either can be our guy in the middle. (my guess...wait till next year)

3. SSLB-Since we can't get them all in the draft, I think we're going to have to find a diamond in the rough like we did with the DT's last season. A low-cost FA to be solid, yet unspectacular and give deMeco some help. Maybe we find a goodie hiding away from some small college in a later round. (my guess..FA or 6th or 7th round flier)

4. WR-The deepest position in the draft according to many. Ideally, I'd be on the phone right now with Kevin Curtis to negotiate a sweet deal to be our #2 guy rather than rotting behind Furrey and Roy in Detroit. Quick! Before he hires an agent!!! If not, find a WR in the draft in a later round. All we need is a deep threat to make secondaries respect us. (my guess...5th or 6th rounder)

5. QB - Brady? Stanton? Edwards? Beck? Zabransky? Basically, we're going to have to develop this gap and let one of our current crew be the punching bag until the O-Line gels and the QB learns the ropes. There are some nice QB's in this draft even though most of the focus here has been on Russell, Quinn and Kolb. (my guess...diamond in the 4th round)

6. DT - I think we're going to have to give Travis another shot to try and prove his worth. We got some decent production here out of some scrubs off the street. I'd like us to target Marcus Thomas (I think that's his name) who got kicked off the Gators squad. He was considered right up there with branch until he f'd up. give him another chance. (my guess...5th rounder or FA)

7. CB - Aaron Ross...not only can he cover and tackle, he can return kicks. We gotta target this guy...if not, Daymeon Hughes is probably going to be around in the second or third. Of course, I wouldn't mind a cheap FA for now either. Harper or macklin??? (my guess...third round pick or FA)

8. FS - LaRon Landry. You are our guy. He fixes everything in the FS dept and makes our CB's better just by being a Texan. (my guess...first round pick)

9. Making our players better - In the second year of a new system and philosophy, I think the core of our team will improve. Last season was yet another on the learning curve. Our defense came together toward the end and our offense was better when we controlled the game with our running. Now, if we can get Cleveland and Jacksonville 8 games a piece, we're unstoppable.
Old 03-07-2007   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I no particular order, here are some things that I think every NFL team needs that we currently do not posses:

This is my idea of who to fill your slots with.

1. A 16 game NFL quality LT:

Levi Brown via 2007 NFL Draft Round 1: Trade Down, picking up an extra 2nd round pick this year.

2. A 16 game NFL quality Center:

Ryan Kalil via 2007 NFL Draft Round 2.

3. A strong side outside linebacker:

Lamar Woodley via 2007 NFL Draft Round 3. I think he would make a great linebacker. Solid body, and great pass rushing ability.

4. A #2 option WR:

Antonio Bryant via Free Agency. Not a "Texans" kinda player, but can get the job done for a year or so.

5. A NFL caliber QB.

Good Luck. Maybe Trent Green would come over to a good price.

6. A disrupting DT.

Randy Starks via Free Agency.

7. A #2 cornerback.

Daymeion Hughes via 2007 NFL Draft 2nd Round. Gives us a big need in our secondary. I really like this kid.

Not sure here.
Also I grab Desmond Bishop in the 5th round to back up Demeco.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #6
texans83
All Pro

were not going to be able to fill every need obviously this year baybe we will get closer but I think by the time 08 season comes around we will have alot of our holes filled and with 48mil in cap room we can get 1or 2 free agents to do the rest. Im glad what smith/kubes are doing by cutting the extra slack and preparing for the future through the draft. Thats how you build a great football team for many years and that what we will be. Guys just be patient. We will win
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #7
Tayton
Veteran

There are some "Nice to Fix" positions and some "Need to Fix" positions. THE most pressing need is an upgrade at CB. We will be lit up again if we go into next year with Demarcus Faggins at CB.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2007   #8
Cook Thom
Rookie

I basically agree with everyone's analysis. Unfortunately, we have too many holes to fill to make a complete turn around next year. Green was a good free agent pick up for the short term but due to his age he is not the long term answer at rb. In general I feel the most important thing in improving this franchise is to get a quality young offensive line. The only offensive lineman that would justify the 8th pick in the first round is Joe Thomas and he will be gone by the time we select. Therefore, I agree we need to trade down in the first round and get an additional second round pick. We would take the best offensive lineman available with our new first round pick and use one of our second round picks on another offensive lineman. We should use our other second round pick or our third round pick on a qb to develop for the future.
Cook Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #9
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. A 16 game NFL quality LT

2. A 16 game NFL quality Center[/b]

3. A strong side outside linebacker who tackles consistently and doesn't get eaten alive in coverage.

4. A #2 option WR who runs good routes over the middle and can hang on to the ball.[/b]

5. A NFL caliber QB.

6. A disrupting DT.

7. A #2 cornerback.
in the NFL, and I want someone who isn't such a liability.

firstly i dont think we can or will fill all these gaps we have- but a team with those gaps won 6 games inc indy and jags x2

so here's my best shot playing fantasy GM and trying to fill all our needs(with no effortless draft tradedown to help):

FA: get hamlin or grant as our starting FS
get plummer for a 6th/7th OR Carr
get jason david as cb #2 (RFA) (5th round tender)

Draft: rd1 amobi okoye/ branch
rd2 whichever wr of dwayne bowe, sidney rice, robert meachem or dwayne jarret fall to us (1 def should in my opinion- and i know a FA wr would be easier but i dont like many of them and the top 1's wont come here and any of those prospects would be first rounders in a normal year)
rd3: quincy black http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...incyblack.html
rd4:doug datish http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...ougdatish.html
rd6 Gabe hall OT

there ya go
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
firstly i dont think we can or will fill all these gaps we have- but a team with those gaps won 6 games inc indy and jags x2

so here's my best shot playing fantasy GM and trying to fill all our needs(with no effortless draft tradedown to help):

FA: get hamlin or grant as our starting FS
get plummer for a 6th/7th OR Carr
get jason david as cb #2 (RFA) (5th round tender)

Draft: rd1 amobi okoye/ branch
rd2 whichever wr of dwayne bowe, sidney rice, robert meachem or dwayne jarret fall to us (1 def should in my opinion- and i know a FA wr would be easier but i dont like many of them and the top 1's wont come here and any of those prospects would be first rounders in a normal year)
rd3: quincy black http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...incyblack.html
rd4:doug datish http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...ougdatish.html
rd6 Gabe hall OT

there ya go

I like your plan other than Hamlin...isn't he more of a SS??? Oh...and I hate Plummer. Just get a draft pick for Carr.
Old 03-07-2007   #11
DGPowaR
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to DGPowaR

Whatever you may be thinking...Our Priorities are as follows:

1 - FREE SAFETY / SS - Glenn "i cant hit" earl, and Cant Cover Brown seriously wouldnt even be 2nd string for any other team...

2. LT - The anchor for our line, ultimatly giving us the first occurance of decent protection

3. That coveted #2 receiver

4. QB - David "He hate me" Carr's era is over, and yea sage had good moments, but are we ready to give him the reigns, or is he backup at best?
DGPowaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I like your plan other than Hamlin...isn't he more of a SS??? Oh...and I hate Plummer. Just get a draft pick for Carr.
no hes an FS..rather have jake than sage sorry- we wont get anything worthwhile for carr... its funny though, we can still go so many ways yet ie. brady quinn etc
Old 03-07-2007   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPowaR View Post
Whatever you may be thinking...Our Priorities are as follows:

1 - FREE SAFETY / SS - Glenn "i cant hit" earl,

sincerely,
Jeremy Shockey
Old 03-07-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

How to fix our needs:
We only have three ways of improving our team:
1. The NFL Draft
2. Free Agency
3. Make our existing players better

We have 8 positions of great need on our team. Lets assume that we have an awesome draft, and pull instant starters out of rounds 1-4, and project guys out of rounds 5-7. I think thats pretty realistic. If that happens, we still have holes in 4/8 of our positions of need! Even if Spencer comes back healthy, we'll still have 3 gaping holes on our team.

I hate free agency because I think players are always overpaid and often underperform, but if the organization isn't planning on picking up a few extra day 1 picks, we need to fill a few more of these spots prior to draft day or we are going to go into the next season knowing we have glaring weaknesses.
Good post, top to bottom.

Question. Are you saying that each one of these "needs" need to be satisfied before we become winners, 8-8, 9-7, play-offs, however you want to define it??

Your feelings toward FA is understandable, considering that is usually what happens with the big name, and the big money signings. Personally, I like what Kubiak did last year, look for WRs out of Cincy, DEs out of Baltimore, & RBs out of GreenBay/Denver.

What are the chances that the guy playing behind TJ & Chad is pretty dang good?? I think it's pretty high, considering TJ & Chad are both #1s in my book.

Odds of a pretty good athlete playing in Baltimore on the DL?? Again, understandable.

Decent RBs out of Denver & GB?? With their history, you know they have good eyes for RBs.

All these guys were young, all of them want to prove something. Not saying we got them cheap, but we didn't have to overpay, because they have something to prove.

Draft... it's just as big a gamble, except the money is more or less "defined" for you more or less. Through the Draft, we've overpaid for Jabar Gaffney(in relation to what we got out of him), TJ, & Babin(even though I like Babin, and I wouldn't dump him, he's just not a 1st round pick), & Bennie Joppru's career with the Texans isn't unlike many a FA signing across the league.

Either way, it's about talent evaluation, and fiscal responsibility. Draft or FA, really doesn't matter.
Old 03-07-2007   #15
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
no hes an FS..rather have jake than sage sorry- we wont get anything worthwhile for carr... its funny though, we can still go so many ways yet ie. brady quinn etc
I just read on ESPN that Hamlin was strong up front, big hitter, but not great in coverage. I think we need coverage more than hitting.

As far as QB's...I'm all for drafting a Quinn, Edwards, Beck, Stanton, whatever...even Kolb...I'd just rather not have to spend a first day pick on QB.

I think our need for an OLB is now put on hold with the signing of Green. We'll probably try to revisit that subject again next offseason.
Old 03-07-2007   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I just read on ESPN that Hamlin was strong up front, big hitter, but not great in coverage. I think we need coverage more than hitting.

As far as QB's...I'm all for drafting a Quinn, Edwards, Beck, Stanton, whatever...even Kolb...I'd just rather not have to spend a first day pick on QB.
yet you're opposed to jake for a late rounder
Old 03-07-2007   #17
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
yet you're opposed to jake for a late rounder
I'm opposed to having to pay Jake Plummer money to a guy like Jake Plummer who pretty much sucks....and is old....and stinks like a hippie's butt...and flips off the home crowd...basically, I don't want Jake Plummer.
Old 03-07-2007   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good post, top to bottom.

Question. Are you saying that each one of these "needs" need to be satisfied before we become winners, 8-8, 9-7, play-offs, however you want to define it??
Its difficult in the NFL to be 8-8 or better. Especially with schedules like ours. I don't necessarily think we need stars at each position listed, but we need "role players" at each of those positions before we should expect to improve to average. For every glaring weakness a team has, they need at least 1 true playmaker to offset that, and we have relatively few in Texans uniforms.
Old 03-07-2007   #19
DGPowaR
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to DGPowaR

Quote:
sincerely,
Jeremy Shockey
yea. that was a pretty insane hit...
But Shockey had it coming all year long, he needs to keep in mind hes literally "just a tight end"

Still though, they arent sufficient in the secondary, and are our weakest links!
DGPowaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
I'm opposed to having to pay Jake Plummer money to a guy like Jake Plummer who pretty much sucks....and is old....and stinks like a hippie's butt...and flips off the home crowd...basically, I don't want Jake Plummer.
Why are we having this dicussion? Didn't he retire?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read