Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-06-2007   #1
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Default Trent Green Perhaps?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2790000

I don't necessarily think the Chiefs offense is terribly unlike ours...thoughts?

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Trent Green may soon be on his way out of Kansas City.

Trent Green
Quarterback
Kansas City Chiefs

The former Pro Bowl quarterback's agent, Jim Steiner, said Tuesday that the team is seeking to restructure Green's contract, which will pay him $7.2 million next season. The Chiefs are also entertaining offers for Green, who missed eight games last season with a severe concussion.

"We're going to look and see what his options are," Steiner said. "We're going to do that."

A statement issued by the Chiefs said conversations with Green continue to be "amicable and productive." General manager Carl Peterson met with the 37-year-old Green on Monday.

Green, who is signed through 2009, is scheduled to make $7.7 million and $9.2 million in the final two years of his contract. Damon Huard, who filled in when Green was hurt last season, recently signed a three-year deal with the Chiefs last month rather than become a free agent.

Kansas City also has Brodie Croyle, last year's third-round draft pick, to compete with Huard for the job.

Green, who played in two Pro Bowls and made 80 straight starts before getting knocked unconscious in the 2006 season-opener, became one of most popular Chiefs while directing a potent offense under former coach Dick Vermeil.

When Herm Edwards took over last season, he never wavered in his support of Green, even as Huard led Kansas City into playoff contention.

Once Green was cleared to play, Edwards benched Huard and the Chiefs struggled down the stretch. Green never looked comfortable in the pocket, throwing seven touchdowns and nine interceptions, and Kansas City went 2-3 over its final five games.

His 74.1 passer rating was his lowest since 2001, his first year with the Chiefs.

A series of improbable upsets on the final day of the regular season allowed Kansas City to slip into the playoffs, where Green threw for 107 yards and intercepted twice in a 23-8 first-round loss at Indianapolis.

Huard went 5-3 as a starter, throwing for 1,878 yards with 11 touchdowns and one interception. He appeared more comfortable than Green in Edwards' ground-based offense and his 98.0 passer rating was second in the league's to Peyton Manning's.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #2
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Default Re: Trent Green Perhaps?

Oh yeah....

Trent Green > Ramsey.

If he gets cut....this could be could news for us. He suffered through mediocrity for years in Kansas City, so that shouldn't be an issue for him. And he is coming off his worst season....wouldn't be a bad guy to bring in to compete with the odds an favorite to win the job. For those who don't remember....last year he had a concussion that threw him off, it takes a while to get through those, but most QB's do. I wouldn't mind him being brought in.
Old 03-06-2007   #3
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Not in trade, but perhaps if he gets cut.

I wish he'd restructure his deal with KC, because it's not good to have QBs diluting the potential Carr market.
Old 03-06-2007   #4
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Not in trade, but perhaps if he gets cut.

I wish he'd restructure his deal with KC, because it's not good to have QBs diluting the potential Carr market.
Anyone seriously looking into Carr probably won't be looking at Green. They are at opposite ends of the age range and Green would have to be considered a stop gap. Carr is being considered as a project/future starter/5 year vet.

But yeah....trade isn't what i'm looking for....a signing.
Old 03-06-2007   #5
joshri
Rookie

I think Trent Green would be the perfect guy here. He seems like a good leader that could help us have a pretty good team until the next QB takes over.

Green - Rosenfels - Kolb/whoever Sounds pretty good to me

I think we draft a QB this year and if you can let him watch behind to good guys like that I think he could take over in a year or two.
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63823 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXwithanX View Post
He suffered through mediocrity for years in Kansas City, so that shouldn't be an issue for him.
A selling point for Houston. Join us and help us rise to mediocre.

That's almost as good as battling for a Championship!
Old 03-06-2007   #7
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshri View Post
I think Trent Green would be the perfect guy here. He seems like a good leader that could help us have a pretty good team until the next QB takes over.

Green - Rosenfels - Kolb/whoever Sounds pretty good to me

I think we draft a QB this year and if you can let him watch behind to good guys like that I think he could take over in a year or two.
Yeah, Green wasn't definitely a good guy in Kansas City. Not to mention a pretty prolific passer. They just could never put a D together.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2007   #8
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star
You guys forget that he played behind a HOF oline.He isnt very mobile. He's one good sack away from going to the intensive care unit....
http://forums.houstontexans.com/show...295#post617295
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #9
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
A selling point for Houston. Join us and help us rise to mediocre.

That's almost as good as battling for a Championship!
I wasn't making the Texans pitch to Green believe it or not. Thats Smith's job. I'm just here to be objective....and truthful. Mediocrity is actually patting this team on the back some....you have to be .500 to be actually considered average or mediocre.
Old 03-06-2007   #10
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Yeah that thread is about Trent Green being traded, mine is about Trent Green being cut and whether he should come here. Much more relevant to the Texans...thus the new thread...in the Bull Pen.
Old 03-06-2007   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63823 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXwithanX View Post
I wasn't making the Texans pitch to Green believe it or not. Thats Smith's job. I'm just here to be objective....and truthful. Mediocrity is actually patting this team on the back some....you have to be .500 to be actually considered average or mediocre.
I know you weren't making it a selling point - but I was. It is better than:

Train in our state of the art facility, including training camp in 105 degree, 90% humidity sunny days!
Old 03-06-2007   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our selling point usually is:
If you join our team, we'll give you millions of dollars and then let you go somewhere else in a year or two

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read