Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2007   #1
common_fan
Rookie

Default 2002 Nfl Draft

Who should have been the first overall pick that year?
common_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2002 Nfl Draft

David Carr
Old 03-06-2007   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

me!
Old 03-06-2007   #4
common_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63 View Post
me!
Ey Red, are you Joey Harrington?
Old 03-06-2007   #5
Doom Capers
Veteran

Peppers
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Peppers, easily. While I understand the team's desire to draft the "face of the orgainization", Peppers clearly would have been teh best pick.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by common_fan View Post
Who should have been the first overall pick that year?
Julius Peppers.... Period.

I don't care that Dom was going to be running the 3-4 here, Peppers was too good and would have made a major impact right away - whatever D alignment we were running!!
Old 03-06-2007   #8
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Julius Peppers.

We could have sucked that year and picked up Carson Palmer in the 2003 draft.

Old 03-06-2007   #9
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Its not like they didnt try, the Bengals beat us that season.
Old 03-06-2007   #10
mike230765
Rookie

I would still go with carr
mike230765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #11
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike230765 View Post
I would still go with carr
I prob woud have gone with Carr but had a vetran come in for a year and mould Carr while he sat the bench.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #12
real

Peppers.

Carr should have gone somehwere around 15-20, and Harrington should have been a 3rd or 4th rounder...
Old 03-06-2007   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you asking who should have the pick based on what we know now or who should have been the pick at that point in time? Now it's obviously Peppers. Then...I would still say Carr should have been the pick. He was the top rated QB in the class and no one obviously thought that the 2002 draft would be as bad as it has turned out to be.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #14
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Jabbar Gaffney and Chester Pitts before Clinton Portis. I was not aware of that.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #15
common_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Are you asking who should have the pick based on what we know now or who should have been the pick at that point in time? Now it's obviously Peppers. Then...I would still say Carr should have been the pick. He was the top rated QB in the class and no one obviously thought that the 2002 draft would be as bad as it has turned out to be.
Now, then, it doesn't matter to me. It's all based upon your own opinion. I thought that we should have traded down for more picks.
Old 03-06-2007   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well it depends. looking back I would have drafted Peppers. but then again I would have gotten carr more o-line help and we probably wouldn't be talking about this.

I still say we made the right pick. Gotta pick a QB as your first pick ever to be the face of the franchise and I was so happy we chose carr over harrington.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible View Post
Jabbar Gaffney and Chester Pitts before Clinton Portis. I was not aware of that.
I'm feeling sick again...just like I did when Gaffney was picked. I knew it...to bad no one listed to some guy sitting on his sofa yelling draft Portis! Win some, lose some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #18
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Traded down for more picks.

Peppers #1 overall? Who takes DE's as an overall #1 pick!?

Who would you have picked out of this fine group of athletes?
http://football.about.com/od/nfldraf..._draft2002.htm

Quote:
1. Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
2. Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
3. Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
4. Buffalo Mike Williams OT Texas
5. San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
6. Kansas City (from Dallas) Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
7. Minnesota Bryant McKinnie OT Miami (Fla)
8. Dallas (from Kansas City) Roy Williams SS Oklahoma
9. Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
10. Cincinnati Levi Jones OT Arizona State
11. Indianapolis Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse
12. Arizona Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin
13. New Orleans Donte Stallworth WR Tennessee
14. NY Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey TE Miami (Fla)
15. Tennessee (from NY Giants) Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
16. Cleveland William Green RB Boston College
17. Oakland (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla)
18. Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State
19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
20. Green Bay (from Seattle) Javon Walker WR Florida State
21. New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham TE Colorado
22. NY Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham
23. Oakland Napolean Harris OLB Northwestern
24. Baltimore Edward Reed S Miami (FLA)
25. New Orleans (from Miami) Charles Grant DE Georgia
26. Philadelphia Lito Sheppard CB Florida
27. San Francisco Mike Rumph CB Miami (Fla)
28. Seattle (from Green Bay) Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
29. Chicago Marc Colombo OT Boston College
30. Pittsburgh Kendall Simmons OG Auburn
31. St. Louis Robert Thomas MLB UCLA
32. Washington (from New England) Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

Looking over the names in the first round, the only thought that crosses my mind is "Wow what a stinker!"

The second round rocked though. Unfortunetly we dropped the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

Thanks for the list. I had forgotten some of those names.. I would still go with what I said above... Peppers!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read