Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-06-2007   #1
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP
Default Chron FanBlog: Texans Courting Quinn

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans..._brady_qu.html

I was reading the Chronicle this morning and saw a new blog up from Thomas Hilton. It not only suggests that we may take Brady Quinn in the 1st round, but that that we may even be interested in trading up for him.

Minneapolis's Star Tribune writes:

Houston, which drafts eighth, has talked to teams about moving up so it can draft Quinn, who did a good job of selling himself on Sunday with the Houston Texans.

Let the rants begin!
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #2
texans83
All Pro

Default Re: Chron FanBlog: Texans Courting Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exithios View Post
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans..._brady_qu.html

I was reading the Chronicle this morning and saw a new blog up from Thomas Hilton. It not only suggests that we may take Brady Quinn in the 1st round, but that that we may even be interested in trading up for him.

Minneapolis's Star Tribune writes:

Houston, which drafts eighth, has talked to teams about moving up so it can draft Quinn, who did a good job of selling himself on Sunday with the Houston Texans.

Let the rants begin!
this is what I heard. Im not apposed to it just as long we dont give up our draft picks.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Check for a ninja...I just saw a smokescreen.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I isn't going to shock me if I see us trade Carr on draft day and make a move for Quinn.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't be terribly dissapointed to see Quinn as a Texan. The question is: Who does Kubiak like better Kolb or Brady? I think from the comments from the Texans management those 2 guys as well as Russell are at the top of the board when it comes to qbs in the draft this year. If Kubiak think a guy like Kolb can become a starter for us in a year or two then why should we draft Brady Quinn? On the other hand Quinn has had a very good career at ND and he definitely has first round talent, but with so many other question marks on our team will Kubiak reach for Quinn? I don't know..But it's a possibility that's becoming more interesting as the days go by.
Old 03-06-2007   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Who does Kubiak like better Kolb or Brady?
probably quinn, like every other GM in the league.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #7
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
I won't be terribly dissapointed to see Quinn as a Texan. The question is: Who does Kubiak like better Kolb or Brady? I think from the comments from the Texans management those 2 guys as well as Russell are at the top of the board when it comes to qbs in the draft this year. If Kubiak think a guy like Kolb can become a starter for us in a year or two then why should we draft Brady Quinn? On the other hand Quinn has had a very good career at ND and he definitely has first round talent, but with so many other question marks on our team will Kubiak reach for Quinn? I don't know..But it's a possibility that's becoming more interesting as the days go by.
Kubes was there when BQ had his pro day, him and Clev coach were the only two head coaches there to watch him. I would much rather take Quinn he has already been in a NFL style offense and Charlie Weis has already said that BQ is going to be the next tom Brady. Hmm would you either take the next Tom Brady or a qb that has been in the same spread out passing friendly system for the last 8yrs. I think ill take the next TB IMO. As far as JR Kubes does not like him, he would not fit in our style of offense. He fitts perfect in Oakland where they love to throw the deep ball.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2007   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

if Kolb didn't play for UofH half you guys wouldnt even know how to spell his name much less want him as the franchise savior. Kolb is a 3rd round talent and reminds me of Carr WAYYYY too much. His release sucks too and playing at UofH is just as bad as Fresno State. Just another small school 'system' QB. Quinn is the QB most prepared to step into the NFL in the draft. Russell has more upside and a stronger arm but is not as polished as Quinn.

Quinn reminds me of Leinart last year. He got punked by a bigger stronger QB in a bowl game and his stock dropped as the #1 pick. I think grabbing Quinn at #8 would be a total coup and that it would essentially be a mulligan after last year's moronic 1st Round drama.

The only player I want more than Quinn in this draft are AP and CJ. For Quinn to fall would be a little bit of karma coming to us after last year's signability BS.
Old 03-06-2007   #9
Dunta_23
All Pro

Quote:
Maybe if we draft a guy like Quinn....Who is more prepared for a pro-style offense, he may start day 1....Whereas Kolb was playing from the spread and may need a lot more time....
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #10
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23 View Post
Maybe if we draft a guy like Quinn....Who is more prepared for a pro-style offense, he may start day 1....Whereas Kolb was playing from the spread and may need a lot more time....
I dont think he will start day 1 but I wouldnt be suprised to see him play half way through the season like all the other rookies last year. I would love to see Qunn in a texans unifor I think he will be great. IMO
Old 03-06-2007   #11
real

Sage, Quinn, Ramsey, Porter
Old 03-06-2007   #12
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Sage, Quinn, Ramsey, Porter
thats what Im going with, I think Sage can get us through the first half of the season if not the entire season while Quinn takes a back seat like most rookie Qbs.
Old 03-06-2007   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

If we draft Quinn, we need to wait to start him till 2nd year or at least till end of 1st year if we are out of contention or he has really earned it through his reps during the week. I would prefer him to wait till 2nd year to be anointed the starter. We all know what happened the last time we drafted a QB and anointed him the savior and starter from Day One. it has made the last 5 years some of the worst years of football in this city's history.
Old 03-06-2007   #14
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I isn't going to shock me if I see us trade Carr on draft day and make a move for Quinn.
I would be a little surprised if we deal Carr, simply because there isn't any one that makes a lot of sense as a replacement, given the combination of desirable skill, experience, price tag, etc. However I will be stunned if we draft Quinn.
Old 03-06-2007   #15
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
I would be a little surprised if we deal Carr, simply because there isn't any one that makes a lot of sense as a replacement, given the combination of desirable skill, experience, price tag, etc. However I will be stunned if we draft Quinn.
why would you be stunned?
Old 03-06-2007   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
thats what Im going with, I think Sage can get us through the first half of the season if not the entire season while Quinn takes a back seat like most rookie Qbs.
With all the open holes on this team in so many positions, how can the Texans afford to take a guy in the 1st round that likely won't start, and if he does start, won't have enough talent around him to get the Texans to .500?

Quinn just doesn't seem that special or different from what is out there every year in the first couple of rounds in the draft.

Just because the Texans decide they now have an issue with the QB position, doesn't mean they have to fix it this year.

Priority #1 is getting to .500 this year and I don't see drafting an average guy like Quinn that didn't have enough talent around him at Notre Dame is going to be to pull off making the Texans better given the current state of personnel.

Every pick this year is extremely precious for Kubiak to build a winner a 2008. QBs are already the riskiest positions to take in the 1st round. By the way, the Texans have never picked an offensive lineman in the first round and will have picked 2 QBs in the first round in their first 5 years of existence if they pick Quinn. It's just too expensive, and I don't see getting out of this Carr mess by drafting Quinn, it's just a reach.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #17
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
With all the open holes on this team in so many positions, how can the Texans afford to take a guy in the 1st round that likely won't start, and if he does start, won't have enough talent around him to get the Texans to .500?

Quinn just doesn't seem that special or different from what is out there every year in the first couple of rounds in the draft.

Just because the Texans decide they now have an issue with the QB position, doesn't mean they have to fix it this year.

Priority #1 is getting to .500 this year and I don't see drafting an average guy like Quinn that didn't have enough talent around him at Notre Dame is going to be to pull off making the Texans better given the current state of personnel.

Every pick this year is extremely precious for Kubiak to build a winner a 2008. QBs are already the riskiest positions to take in the 1st round. By the way, the Texans have never picked an offensive lineman in the first round and will have picked 2 QBs in the first round in their first 5 years of existence if they pick Quinn. It's just too expensive, and I don't see getting out of this Carr mess by drafting Quinn, it's just a reach.
I think priority #1 is putting guys on this team that will help them win game next year and many years to come. If they think Quinn is a guy who can make them great a few years down the line then I'm in. Getting to .500 with no direction at QB does little good. Hurts draft position and keeps the team up in the air another year.

team now has a new GM and coach. with that a fresh start. its time to lay out a 3 year plan and follow thru on it. I want playoffs in 3 yrs or bust.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #18
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point it's really hard to believe anything team management says in regards to the draft. It's all about positioning yourself to get the best player who you think will fit the team best and also perform the best. So if that player is Quinn so be it, but I would love to see a LaRon Landry or a Levi Brown as a Texan this year.
Old 03-06-2007   #19
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches View Post
I think priority #1 is putting guys on this team that will help them win game next year and many years to come. If they think Quinn is a guy who can make them great a few years down the line then I'm in. Getting to .500 with no direction at QB does little good. Hurts draft position and keeps the team up in the air another year.

team now has a new GM and coach. with that a fresh start. its time to lay out a 3 year plan and follow thru on it. I want playoffs in 3 yrs or bust.
thank you for having a good head on your shoulder. The QB is prob one of the biggest positions we need to fill so why sait till next year hollywoodtexan? If we get a guy like Kolb that so many of you on here want then we might have to wait 2-3 yrs even there you cant teach god given talent, and thats what Quinn has and he would be able to start in 1 yr plus by that time we will have close to 50mil in cap room to make new key free agency picks and by the next year we should be a deff playoff contender.
Old 03-06-2007   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
thank you for having a good head on your shoulder. The QB is prob one of the biggest positions we need to fill so why sait till next year hollywoodtexan? If we get a guy like Kolb that so many of you on here want then we might have to wait 2-3 yrs even there you cant teach god given talent, and thats what Quinn has and he would be able to start in 1 yr plus by that time we will have close to 50mil in cap room to make new key free agency picks and by the next year we should be a deff playoff contender.
I don't see how Quinn is going to be able to start and make an immediate impact in 2007 for the Texans. If he can, then he probably could have carried Notre Dame to quality wins against top tier opponents. That is just how I see it.

A 1st round draft pick is inherently risky, QBs are probably the riskiest, where RBs are probably way overpriced for value you can find in later rounds.

I see this Quinn issue as very similar to 2002. The Texans didn't have to have a QB right away. This team has so many holes and drafting an average QB isn't going to make this team better in the short run or long run.

My preference would be offensive line or defensive secondary in the first round at #8. Taking a QB in the first round twice in five years is just a bit much. I don't see how you can really draft out of the Carr mess, it's just a strech and too much to ask from someone like Quinn that wasn't that successful because he didn't have the talent around him at Notre Dame. Most 1st round QBs don't live up to expectations, and that is the least thing the Texans can afford right now.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read