Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-05-2007   #1
MATRIX
Veteran

Default KOLB...diary on Texans site???????

This is from a direct link on the Texans webs site. I don't know about you, but why would we have his pre-draft diary for no reason at all? Maybe he is our QB pick? You make the call.

http://www.nflplayers.com/news/draftDiary.aspx?id=6354

This was found on the Texans Official site, while I was reading up on Green...I saw it. No other QB or prospect is on the site however in this much detail.

Here is how you get to it:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/dr...p?section=News
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #2
texans83
All Pro

Default Re: KOLB...diary on Texans site???????

I doubt they are going to take him, maybe if he was still there in the second day they might.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

it's just a houston thing.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #4
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
it's just a houston thing.
yea thats what I was thinking.
Old 03-05-2007   #5
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
I doubt they are going to take him, maybe if he was still there in the second day they might.
what makes you think this?
Old 03-05-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 77683 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I see the Raiders passing on JR picking CJ trading Moss for there 2nd and taking Kolb with Greenbays pick.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #7
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

hopefully this means we are taking him.
Old 03-05-2007   #8
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
hopefully this means we are taking him.
I just dont understand why you want Kolb when this is a horible QB class and he is at best number 5 qb out of this class. Dosent make much sense to me. You guys deff havent watched any other QB play nor watch the combine.
Old 03-06-2007   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just dont understand why you want Kolb when this is a horible QB class and he is at best number 5 qb out of this class. Dosent make much sense to me. You guys deff havent watched any other QB play nor watch the combine.
So your plan on the QB position is to wait until a super stud just falls into the Texans lap versus drafting a player who could be coachable and is smart and has all the physical tools. Now which one makes more sense?

In your logic you would not have drafted Drew Brees, Montana or Farve (no I am not saying Brees is that elite). You would rather draft someone like Leaf or Vick, super studs coming out of college and hoping you do not have a big contract on your hands that has not done what you have expected.

Just curious were you not one of the guys blowing all the smoke about Tony Romo?
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #10
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
So your plan on the QB position is to wait until a super stud just falls into the Texans lap versus drafting a player who could be coachable and is smart and has all the physical tools. Now which one makes more sense?

In your logic you would not have drafted Drew Brees, Montana or Farve (no I am not saying Brees is that elite). You would rather draft someone like Leaf or Vick, super studs coming out of college and hoping you do not have a big contract on your hands that has not done what you have expected.

Just curious were you not one of the guys blowing all the smoke about Tony Romo?
No thats not what im saying, if you are going to take a Qb in the third or whatever make it be the best QB on the board not just the ne that played from your home town and thats all you saw. If Statton is there take him , or and of the other two better QBs in the draft befor Kolb. I like Kolb sounds like a real great guy. It dosent even matter what I think but Kolbs problems are that he will take a very long time to mold. He has been in the same system for count them e-i-g-h-t yrs. We need someone who could be ready if we had to throw them in early and Kolb just wouldnt be ready.
Old 03-06-2007   #11
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

I realize Kolb has been in the same system, but he seems much more mature and football savy than Mr. Stanton.

Kolb may not be the most physically gifted of the bunch, but he seems to have some of the best intangibles.

That said, no way I would take him in the 2nd. I would probably take him in the 3rd but that depends on who else is aviable at other spots, and if you feel like Kolb might last till the 4th.

I was talking to a former big time U of H Pitcher who is friends with Kevin, and Kevin believes he won't make it past the Lions in the third.

We shall see.
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #12
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOilTanker View Post
I realize Kolb has been in the same system, but he seems much more mature and football savy than Mr. Stanton.

Kolb may not be the most physically gifted of the bunch, but he seems to have some of the best intangibles.

That said, no way I would take him in the 2nd. I would probably take him in the 3rd but that depends on who else is aviable at other spots, and if you feel like Kolb might last till the 4th.

I was talking to a former big time U of H Pitcher who is friends with Kevin, and Kevin believes he won't make it past the Lions in the third.

We shall see.
I dont mean Stanton he was just a refrence I was just saying there are 4 better Qbs in this draft then Kolb and its likley that 2 of them will still be htere in the 2nd and 3rd.
Old 03-06-2007   #13
Xman
Veteran

I have been saying if he is there in the 3rd we should take him. I would even suggest that we move up into the lower 2nd to get him. He has potential for great success, but there is the possibility of failure also (or he would be a first rounder)

Still, he has most of the tools to be a really good pro qb; he can check off through multiple receivers (which Carr cant do), he is a team leader, a great feel for pressure in the pocket and the ability to scramble, he throws an accurate deep ball and can make throws all over the field (works the deep field and sidelines well but hasn't shown consistency short over the middle). But, he needs to speed up his release (which may require reworking it) and he needs coaching to improve his throwing over the middle in traffic (primarily short timing and more coaching in reading defenses).

So, he could fail if he doesn't fix his flaws (release speed and over the middle accuracy). But, he has already shown the qualities that most college qbs lack and many can't develop (and therefore fail) - checking off (which I consider huge because it seems to doom so many qbs like Carr), pocket presence and leadership. Plus, he can put the deep ball on the money - which will mean getting one step past the defender going deep will be money. So, in my opinion, he could be a really good pro qb (I would expect top end result to be years like Culpepper's best years).
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #14
Xman
Veteran

Quote:
I dont mean Stanton he was just a refrence I was just saying there are 4 better Qbs in this draft then Kolb and its likley that 2 of them will still be htere in the 2nd and 3rd.
With any qb, it is a huge roll of the dice. Generally, the odds are higher when a qb gets a top 5 pick ranking - but we know that doesn't always work either.
After you get past the top 10 picks, qbs will have issues that either have to be "fixed" or the player has not shown qualities that are needed in the pros. The question is does he have enough strengths to compensate for taking the risk on being able to "fix" him or that he will "adjust" to the NFL.

Kolb has potential to be really good. Not just mediocre, but really good. Still, there is a risk he fails.

But, if someone has a higher scouting report on Stanton or Smith and the Texans think it is easier to "fix" them - then go another way. I don't know their problems as well as I know Kolbs. Plus, I don't know if they can "fix" their issues. But, I do think Kolb has a good chance to "fix" his.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #15
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

Quote:
who do you feel is better?

1. Russel
2. Quinn
3. Stanton?
4 Edwards?

I'm not a big Edwards guy, maybe you have Troy Smith or Leak there I'm not sure.

Edwards has been injury plagued and has many of the same problems Carr does when it has to holding on the ball and things like that.

This all may be a mute point though, I'm starting to get a feeling Quinn will be at 8 and the Texans will draft him.
Old 03-06-2007   #16
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOilTanker View Post
who do you feel is better?

1. Russel
2. Quinn
3. Stanton?
4 Edwards?

I'm not a big Edwards guy, maybe you have Troy Smith or Leak there I'm not sure.

Edwards has been injury plagued and has many of the same problems Carr does when it has to holding on the ball and things like that.

This all may be a mute point though, I'm starting to get a feeling Quinn will be at 8 and the Texans will draft him.
If Quinn is there at 8 the texans will draft him im sure of it.
I personally think Quinn is still better that Russel IMO.
1.Quinn
2.Russell
3.stanton
4.beck
5.kolb
6.Leak
7.Smith
Old 03-07-2007   #17
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

Quote:
1.Quinn
2.Russell
3.stanton
4.beck
5.kolb
6.Leak
7.Smith
I agree about Quinn over Russell.

Beck is sorta a system guy too though.

of course so was Vince Young...
Old 03-07-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1.Quinn
2.Russell
3.stanton
4.beck
5.kolb
6.Leak
7.Smith
I don't know if I'd change anything on your list. I don't know much at all about beck so i might switch him and kolb..but overally..i'm with ya.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen a lot of Stanton only because I watch all of ND games and I do not like what he brings to the table as far as mental toughness. There have been a lot of people saying they do not like Quinn because he cannot win the big game and also what he has done against USC, Michigan and LSU. I certainly can understand that to some degree, but then again P Manning could never beat florida.

UH does not get the players that Michigan State does by any stretch of the imagination. I think that Kolb is ver coachable and can learn Kubiaks offense and would do very well in the system. I am not saying Houston needs the greatest of QBs more like someone who can manage the game and has the ability to make all the plays that he is needed to make. Before the combines and workouts I thought Kolb could be hand in the third and I was cool with that because the first two rounds could be used on players who will help immediately. NOW, I am not so sure he will be there in the third so I would not have that huge of an issue if Texans reached a little by drafting Kolb in the second.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #20
texans83
All Pro

kolb wont get drafted till late in the first day if not in the second day. The combine didnt help him at all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read