Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-05-2007   #1
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are the Texans really that interested in Quinn?

I believe picking Quinn will be a huge mistake! He underachieved at Notre Dame with an offensive-minded guru, so how is he going to overachieve with Kubiak that couldn't salvage David Carr?

The Texans have so many holes that require impact players.

I really don't care for Carr or if even he got cut, but I would rather have Carr as my starter next year than Quinn sitting on the bench waiting in the wings.

Drafting Quinn, locks us into another 5 years of a starter that didn't even prove himself at the college level.

Quinn is just Carr redux...

I am calling it now, the Texans draft Quinn, the Texans will not have a winning record in their first 10 years.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #2
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP
Default Re: Are the Texans really that interested in Quinn?

I'm not in love with the guy either, but he was a four-star recruit (not even five) who posted junior and senior seasons of 32 TD and 7 INT followed by 37 TD and 7 INT with more than 60 percent of his passes completed. His average QB rating was around 150 in those years and threw for on average more than 3,500 yards.

How in the world was that an underachiever?
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis View Post
I'm not in love with the guy either, but he was a four-star recruit (not even five) who posted junior and senior seasons of 32 TD and 7 INT followed by 37 TD and 7 INT with more than 60 percent of his passes completed. His average QB rating was around 150 in those years and threw for on average more than 3,500 yards.

don't expect a satisfactory answer. there is none. he broke just about every record in notre dame's history.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #4
real

Originally I was against Quinn...

However I've changed my mind...If Quinn is there...WE MUST TAKE HIM....

He's smart...Can read defenses...make all the throws...

and last but not least...

He can make a play when things break down... and he can make plays when you need them most....he's mobile, strong....good pocket presence...knows where he wants to go with the ball...

I didn't like the way he looked all the time at Notre Dame, but he had a great college coach who knows the NFL and I'm sure Weiss gave him a few pointers...

If we pass on Quinn, it will be a mistake...
Old 03-05-2007   #5
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Well, it wouldn't matter if he was great in college. Once he gets behind our offensive line it will be a different matter altogether. Currently, I don't think Tom Brady could play behind our O-line.
Old 03-05-2007   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyTexansFan View Post
Currently, I don't think Tom Brady could play behind our O-line.
Carr made our line look a lot worse than it was.
Old 03-05-2007   #7
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Originally I was against Quinn...

However I've changed my mind...If Quinn is there...WE MUST TAKE HIM....

He's smart...Can read defenses...make all the throws...

and last but not least...

He can make a play when things break down... and he can make plays when you need them most....he's mobile, strong....good pocket presence...knows where he wants to go with the ball...

I didn't like the way he looked all the time at Notre Dame, but he had a great college coach who knows the NFL and I'm sure Weiss gave him a few pointers...

If we pass on Quinn, it will be a mistake...
hey look who came around. welcome!!!!
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2007   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
....I would rather have Carr as my starter next year than Quinn sitting on the bench waiting in the wings.

Ok fella... who the hell are you, and what did you do with hollywood??
Old 03-05-2007   #9
texans83
All Pro

Carr/Quinn-Sage let Quinn hold the clip board the itleast a year and then throw him in there. Hopefully we will have a much improved line.
Old 03-05-2007   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis View Post

Losing big games is an underachiever.

I didn't watched every Notre Dame game, but the big games I watched, I wasn't impressed with his play at all. The Sugar Bowl was just aweful and really sinched it for me that he isn't worth a 1st round draft pick.

Besides, college stats are little misleading at times due the fact that top tier college teams play lot lesser opponents, except in the SEC. The big 3 games Notre Dame played last year, they weren't even close and Brady's play was marginal.
Old 03-05-2007   #11
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Losing big games is an underachiever.

I didn't watched every Notre Dame game, but the big games I watched, I wasn't impressed with his play at all. The Sugar Bowl was just aweful and really sinched it for me that he isn't worth a 1st round draft pick.

Besides, college stats are little misleading at times due the fact that top tier college teams play lot lesser opponents, except in the SEC. The big 3 games Notre Dame played last year, they weren't even close and Brady's play was marginal.
He was their whole offense and he had no defensive support. Most sec teams have great defences. His WR had very little speen. He is smart, mobile, good arm and CW says he is going to be the next tom brady, so I say again why dont you want him. Please dont tell me bc you would rather have Kolb!!
Old 03-05-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care what y'all say...Quinn is gonna be good in this league. I do think he will be gone before we pick. i would rather use our 1st pick on someone else and get kolb in the 3rd....so he can sit for 2 years...let our line get good and then throw him in there when they are both ready....for a lot cheaper too.

Apparently on Cold Pizza this morning..we admitted our mistake for passing on Bush last year because we got Green in FA...lol i laughed when they said that.

Skip said he thought we did the right thing by passing bush but thought we should have gotten Vince. Drafting Quinn....would make them go wild...and i don't want to see that...lol

Kolb they would say okay he's the hometown boy... lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Ok fella... who the hell are you, and what did you do with hollywood??
I know it is a surpise, but drafting Quinn is locking us into him being a starter for at least 5 years considering how this franchise operated with Carr. We all know Carr's time with the Texans is limited if his play doesn't greatly improve and start to carry this team.

The Texans need a player that can start immediately, which means with all the holes on this team, they could find a player at #8 that could start. Offensive line, defensive line, or secondary come to mind.

The Texans have dug themselves in a hole with the QB position, I don't see how Quinn is even close to being an answer and compounds the problems associated with other positions that need upgrading.
Old 03-05-2007   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
He was their whole offense and he had no defensive support. Most sec teams have great defences. His WR had very little speen. He is smart, mobile, good arm and CW says he is going to be the next tom brady, so I say again why dont you want him. Please dont tell me bc you would rather have Kolb!!
The games I watched, I was completely unimpressed. If a QB plays at Notre Dame with Charlie Weiss and can't win one big game in 2 years, I don't see how that is going to change when he gets in the NFL.

This year, I wouldn't even be worried about drafting a QB, for the same reason I wouldn't have been worried about drafting a QB in 2002.

As for your reference to Tom Brady, I have no problem with the Texans taking Quinn in the 5th round, I wouldn't like it though.
Old 03-05-2007   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The games I watched, I was completely unimpressed. If a QB plays at Notre Dame with Charlie Weiss and can't win one big game in 2 years, I don't see how that is going to change when he gets in the NFL.

This year, I wouldn't even be worried about drafting a QB, for the same reason I wouldn't have been worried about drafting a QB in 2002.

As for your reference to Tom Brady, I have no problem with the Texans taking Quinn in the 5th round, I wouldn't like it though.
I'm with you on Quinn. Well, I'm not sold on him... but Kubiak went to go see the kid. If he's David II, then we won't even consider him. In my mind, if we take him, Kubiak really likes the kid, and thinks he has what it takes.

Besides, the last QB they said "couldn't win the big one" has been sitting on the top of this division since inception.

& He just won the SuperBowl.
Old 03-05-2007   #16
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
I'm with you on Quinn. Well, I'm not sold on him... but Kubiak went to go see the kid. If he's David II, then we won't even consider him. In my mind, if we take him, Kubiak really likes the kid, and thinks he has what it takes.

Besides, the last QB they said "couldn't win the big one" has been sitting on the top of this division since inception.

exactly, I guarentee you that Quinn will be the superstar in the NFL and Russell even though he won the BIG game, he will be a bust.
Old 03-05-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
exactly, I guarentee you that Quinn will be the superstar in the NFL and Russell even though he won the BIG game, he will be a bust.
I won't guarantee it..seeing how I was off on Vince Young is gonna take 1-2 years...lol

But i will agree with T83...I think Quinn will be better than Russell. I see Russell "busting" easier than I can a lot of people...there is a lot of hype for him and it's just cuz he has a strong arm and he's HUGE.

I wish the both the best of luck..I hope they are both good but are both on different teams.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Fair enough, but 99 out 100 of the guys that "couldn't win the big one" never were able to.

Could Quinn become a great QB like Manning and/or Brady? Sure, he seems to have the physical skills. But, all too many guys have the physical skills but can't seem to put it together.

Which is my issue with Quinn. I just don't see anything that gets me excited to think he can carry the Texans. Of course he has the measureables, but that doesn't make a leader and it doesn't win football games.

As I said in my original post to start this thread, Quinn is Carr Redux. It really concerns me that they are even considering this.

The point of this draft is to make the whole team better this year and the Texans don't have to draft a QB in 2007 to make this team better than last year.

I think managing the QB situation right now is a lot better idea than trying to fix it for the long-term. I really believe this team can go 8-8 next year with a rock solid draft (which means not drafting a QB) and letting the chips fall where they may by letting Carr and Rosenfels battle out it for the QB position.

Priority #1 has to be winning 8 games next year, and I don't see how Quinn is going to help out with that.
Old 03-05-2007   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quinn had some really good come from behind victories and he played very well against USC when USC was USC. The defense lossed that game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #20
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
I believe picking Quinn will be a huge mistake! He underachieved at Notre Dame with an offensive-minded guru, so how is he going to overachieve with Kubiak that couldn't salvage David Carr?

The Texans have so many holes that require impact players.

I really don't care for Carr or if even he got cut, but I would rather have Carr as my starter next year than Quinn sitting on the bench waiting in the wings.

Drafting Quinn, locks us into another 5 years of a starter that didn't even prove himself at the college level.

Quinn is just Carr redux...

I am calling it now, the Texans draft Quinn, the Texans will not have a winning record in their first 10 years.
I believe Brady can come in and have success in Houston. The reason Kubiak couldn't salvage David Carr is because he was damaged goods when Kub got him, so damaged that he couldn't be repaired. I think that under the tutelage of Kubiak and the benefit of sitting under a veteran QB like Sage Rosenfels, Quinn will become a very good QB for the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read