Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2007   #1
marv800
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 marv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Am I the only person here who is starting to lose faith in our FO?

I don't understand it at all. We dump Eric Moulds?!?! Huh? He may not have been the superstar we wanted, but there are certainly many more players that have disappointed us more... Gado still has a job? DDW has a job? WTF?

So now we pick up Ahman Green. OK, he's decent, but one hardly expects that he's a week-in week-out game changer.

What the ******* has the FO been doing these last few days?!?! Since Friday, so many things have happened around the NFL in free agency. Most teams seem to be working their asses off to plug their gaping holes. Oakland, Detriot, TB, Minnesota have all been working feverishly to address their obvious needs, yet the Texans are lolligagging about signing yet another mediocre RB?!?!?!

HELLO!?!?!?! ANYONE HOME?!?!?! How about doing something about the LT position?!?!?! QB???? Now that all the top QB's prospects are gone because the FO has been sitting aroung picking their noses, what are we gonna do??!!

This is ridiculous. It seems like the FO is just shoving their head in a hole in the ground in order to ignore THE HUGE ASS ELEPHANT IN THE LIVING ROOM!

I try so hard to be supportive of the team. Watched every single game since the beginning. I just don't understand. Its so discouraging to see them make the bad decisions, over and over again. Isn't one definition of insanity; "Doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result"? David Carr???? Hello!?!?!?!?!
marv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #2
swoldier
Rookie

Default Re: Am I the only person here who is starting to lose faith in our FO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv800 View Post
I don't understand it at all. We dump Eric Moulds?!?! Huh? He may not have been the superstar we wanted, but there are certainly many more players that have disappointed us more... Gado still has a job? DDW has a job? WTF?

So now we pick up Ahman Green. OK, he's decent, but one hardly expects that he's a week-in week-out game changer.

What the ******* has the FO been doing these last few days?!?! Since Friday, so many things have happened around the NFL in free agency. Most teams seem to be working their asses off to plug their gaping holes. Oakland, Detriot, TB, Minnesota have all been working feverishly to address their obvious needs, yet the Texans are lolligagging about signing yet another mediocre RB?!?!?!

HELLO!?!?!?! ANYONE HOME?!?!?! How about doing something about the LT position?!?!?! QB???? Now that all the top QB's prospects are gone because the FO has been sitting aroung picking their noses, what are we gonna do??!!

This is ridiculous. It seems like the FO is just shoving their head in a hole in the ground in order to ignore THE HUGE ASS ELEPHANT IN THE LIVING ROOM!

I try so hard to be supportive of the team. Watched every single game since the beginning. I just don't understand. Its so discouraging to see them make the bad decisions, over and over again. Isn't one definition of insanity; "Doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result"? David Carr???? Hello!?!?!?!?!
My thoughts exactly!!!!
Old 03-05-2007   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Does this mean most of the people on this MB are Insane. Stop complaining most FA are overpaid and underacheive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

not until I see how they draft.
Old 03-05-2007   #5
texans83
All Pro

I dont know what they are doing. Its driving me crazy.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #6
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the guaranteed portion of Green's contract is just over 6 million, I don't see a whole lot of risk involved in that signing. He's a much better RB than anyone we've had on the roster in the past two seasons.
Old 03-05-2007   #7
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

There are days when you have to leave the budweiser on the shelf and snag the Old Milwuakee....
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2007   #8
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post
not until I see how they draft.

The draft will be the main determining factor of how we do this season. Another draft like last year and they will improve regardless of what they do in free agency.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #9
jdm12
Rookie

What exactly did you expect the Texas to do considering the shape they are in cap wise? That is how they got to this point in the first place. Overpaying for way to many player who are not even on the team anymore. That is how you acquire $20 million in dead money. If you want to go out and get a franchise left tackle, it is going to cost. Look at Dallas, they just spent almost $19 million in guarantees over three years. We do not have that type of money.

The fact of the matter is, the old regime really screwed us. Until we clear the cap problem, the Texans will not be a big player in the FA market.

J
jdm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #10
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
There are days when you have to leave the budweiser on the shelf and snag the Old Milwuakee....
I agree, and love the metaphor you used btw, the big names need to be cleared off the market. When the mediocre upgrades hit the market in droves then the Texans step in to upgrade. One big name in the midst of crap will not change anything but maybe the ticket sales to the shallow fan base.

We need to look at the big picture here, we don't have much salary cap space and are going to have to make cadillacs out of volkswagons.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd have to disagree. I like the direction our season is heading into. We can't sign any of the big name guys due to our rebuilding phase and cap space. I like the signing of Ahman Green. He comes in and is automatically our starter.

They are really working on our cap space. cutting the expensive guys we don't need. I will concur, the Moulds release confuses me too, he must have been unhappy. They are clearing out our roster of the expensive guys that aren't contributing. We have a lot of dead money...thats not smith's fault thats charley's. We are going to have a lot more cap space next year because of what we're doing this year.

There aren't a lot of FA's at each position this year so they are all going to be expensive...esp w/ the cap increasing.

LT? I hope we address the OL via FA and the draft. However Leonard Davis was not the answer..I'm glad we stayed away from him. Jones vastly overpaid him to keep him off the redskins..why? i have no idea. He couldn't play LT,RT,LG,or RG in Arizona....and HE WOULD NOT FIT IN HERE IN HOUSTON...he's way to big and slow.

There is still what 7 weeks till the draft. FA has only been going less than 4 days. Let's just see what happens.

1) Cap Space...we're clearing a lot of it for next year
2) Green, good signing
3) I'd like us to look at Carlisle....is he still available?

It's not moving fast guys but that's good...otherwise we'd be way overpaying guys. Hang in there...I really like what we're doing. We havn't traded away any draft picks and don't think we're going to. I'm really looking forward to the Draft and rest of FA. Keep up the good work Kubes and Smith!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #12
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thinking has it that Moulds did/said soemthing behind the scenes that lead to him being released. DDW is likely to be tradeed or cut on June 1 to move his cap hit to next year. Gado...I don't know, but we need depth heading into trading camp and if/when we cut him it won't be much of a hit. Or he could be the depth at RP when we put Chris Taylor back on teh practice squad.

Quote:
Yeah, I mean he's only the best FA RB on the market (ESPN has him as the 12th best FA overall). And with the his contract is structured it's a 1 to 2 year deal...alot like Moulds. Expect the Texans to draft another RB in April.

Quote:
We didn't have the cap space to go after the big name FA's. It sucks but it's a fact, accelerating some of the dead money to this year was teh best descision of this offseason. As of Saturday only 12 teams had signed a FA, 20 other teams (including us) were either lacking in money to sign the big names are smart enough to let teh market calm down before having to overpay for a FA; cause overpaying for mid-level talent is what got us in this mess to start with.

Quote:
Name me the FA LT you would want to sign? Lenorad ****in Davis? There are 0 FA LT worth signing and even if there were how and even if there had been one worth signing how were we going to pay him. As for QB, I agree with the descison to not trade a draft pick for Plummer, and it looks like Smith made teh best run at Garcis that he could. And name me the FA QB who would have been the solution at QB. Once again we are in cap hell, maybe not hell but definityly cap purgatory.

Quote:

Once again what the hell was the FO to do with NO cap space. They restructured AJ's deal, the signed Green and should be able to sign a few more mid level FAs; but if you thought that we were going to be able to sign a big name FA you were diluting yourself. Fact is we should look at this year as a rebuilding year, evaluate some more rookies/younger guys and next year we should be able to spend some big money during FA.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #13
K.D.
Veteran

If u are losing faith already, your faith wasn't strong to begin with. We heard Smith/Kubes say many times we are not going to overspend for FA's, not going to overpay for a guys worth. The FA's we do sign are going to be short-term fix, this team is going to be built thru the draft. Last year draft was very impressive and this year i have no doubt that we are going to have another impressive draft. Look at the big picture and try to remain confident about what we are trying to accomplish, cuz we are still spring cleaning the old regime's hi-dollar,no-production guys.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #14
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd have to disagree. I like the direction our season is heading into. We can't sign any of the big name guys due to our rebuilding phase and cap space. I like the signing of Ahman Green. He comes in and is automatically our starter.

They are really working on our cap space. cutting the expensive guys we don't need. I will concur, the Moulds release confuses me too, he must have been unhappy. They are clearing out our roster of the expensive guys that aren't contributing. We have a lot of dead money...thats not smith's fault thats charley's. We are going to have a lot more cap space next year because of what we're doing this year.

There aren't a lot of FA's at each position this year so they are all going to be expensive...esp w/ the cap increasing.

LT? I hope we address the OL via FA and the draft. However Leonard Davis was not the answer..I'm glad we stayed away from him. Jones vastly overpaid him to keep him off the redskins..why? i have no idea. He couldn't play LT,RT,LG,or RG in Arizona....and HE WOULD NOT FIT IN HERE IN HOUSTON...he's way to big and slow.

There is still what 7 weeks till the draft. FA has only been going less than 4 days. Let's just see what happens.

1) Cap Space...we're clearing a lot of it for next year
2) Green, good signing
3) I'd like us to look at Carlisle....is he still available?

It's not moving fast guys but that's good...otherwise we'd be way overpaying guys. Hang in there...I really like what we're doing. We havn't traded away any draft picks and don't think we're going to. I'm really looking forward to the Draft and rest of FA. Keep up the good work Kubes and Smith!
next year we still wont have that much cap space. This is going to be over our heads for a few more years. Im all up for aquiring a couple no namers just to fill the roster, who knows maybe one of them can acually be a steal or something. I just wish we didnt get screwed over in the previous 5 years. you have to agree as fans this is very frustrating.
Old 03-05-2007   #15
texans83
All Pro

But I love the fact that they reconstructed AJ contract, that just proves to me that he want s to allways be a texan and that he wants to be here when this teams starts winning,.
Old 03-05-2007   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, we should have went after Garcia and signed him to a 10 year $95 million dollar contract with the promise not to draft a QB and $40 million in guarantee money, same with Clements, 9er's? Only $80 million? We could have easily went $90 million. Hey, Leanord Davis is out there, he plays left tackle, lets get him in here, I say 15 years 140 million with 100 million guarantee.

I can't believe that we are not even trying to trade for LT. Wanna talk about a lame FO. He's even from Texas, so that means he wants to be a Texan. Gosh

Someone get on the phone with the Colts so we can get Chad Johnson and Marvin Harrison. That would solve our WR problem.

I agree, why is this so hard?

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #17
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:

Yeah last night I got the same feeling as well. Moulds though I believe is unhappy with the QB as you can tell he threw Carr under the bus when he left. Plummer will unretire somewhere mid-season and play for us especially if Carr is doing the same mistakes over and over. We have an LT his name is Charles Spencer and pray he makes his debut again this season. We will probably draft one in the draft thought. QB will probably be drafted as well. The main point of the story is .......barely any money to sign free agents....
Old 03-05-2007   #18
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
next year we still wont have that much cap space. This is going to be over our heads for a few more years.

Based on what?
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #19
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

PATIENCE! Free agency has JUST BEGUN! You guys want everything to happen in one day? The first few days the did a good job clearing some space with 3 cuts and Johnson's restructuring.

Then yesterday we landed a STARTING RB. Sure he might not be LT, but he's was the best RB available on the market, and we got him.

As far as other FAs.

First of all we don't have the money like other teams thanks to "you know who".

Second I'm GLAD they aren't signing players to the stupid contracts that are being handed out. 3 lineman signing $49 million dollar deals? I'll pass thank you. Nate Clements $80 million? Right..

And as far as LT goes, they don't grow on trees my friend. There really aren't any LEGIT starting LTs on the market. Maybe Luke Pettigout, but he's coming off a major injury. I hope this position will be handled in the draft with Levi Brown potentially.

Other than that I think they are doing fine. Moulds didn't add much to this team, I'd rather have a speed guy opposite Andre. DW will be cut eventually, and there is nothing wrong with hanging on to Gado for insurance.

If we can sign a few modest free agents like Ken Hamlin and Cooper Carlisle then I'll consider this offseason a GREAT SUCCESS.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Considering the guaranteed portion of Green's contract is just over 6 million, I don't see a whole lot of risk involved in that signing. He's a much better RB than anyone we've had on the roster in the past two seasons.
How about ever on this roster. If green can become 85% of what he was in Green Bay he's better than DD ever has been. GB was a team that ran RB screens ALOT so you know he can catch pretty good. Now consider that with the fact that he ran for almost 1100 yds AFTER coming off serious knee surgery the year before.

& as far as our front office, we're not doing to shabby considering what we have under the cap. Look at Tennessee, they've been extremely quiet with TONS of money under the cap & releasing their # 1 rushing RB & WR. You think that their fans aren't wonder what the hell is going on?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read