Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-05-2007   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default brian simmons

i'm curious why no one is bringing his name up as a possible FA signing
Old 03-05-2007   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: brian simmons

I'm curious as to why this wasn't posted in the NFL forum.
Old 03-05-2007   #3
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 832 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
31 years old. Reasonably durable, can play all 3 LB positions. I'd wait a little see if anyone else is looking at him. The longer he is on the market the less he'll take to get a spot.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #4
thespaniard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
31 years old. Reasonably durable, can play all 3 LB positions. I'd wait a little see if anyone else is looking at him. The longer he is on the market the less he'll take to get a spot.
He visited with the Saints on Sunday. I'm not sure if anyone else is interested..
thespaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #5
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
because he's old and he comes with too many miles on him.
Old 03-05-2007   #6
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
because he's old and he comes with too many miles on him.
utterly shocking response from you.
Old 03-05-2007   #7
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve View Post
utterly shocking response from you.
What's your deal man? I'm just saying that I'd rather have a LB corp consisting of players under 30, that's all. In my opinion, 30 is SOME when players start to hit their downswing...if they haven't already. What about Joey Porter? We tried to trade for him. Why not try to sign him?
Old 03-05-2007   #8
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP

Quote:
What's your deal man? I'm just saying that I'd rather have a LB corp consisting of players under 30, that's all. In my opinion, 30 is SOME when players start to hit their downswing...if they haven't already. What about Joey Porter? We tried to trade for him. Why not try to sign him?
because porter is going to want lavar arrington type money (6-7 years, fat signing bonus) and he turns THE BIG 3-0 march 22nd. i guess that signals the end...plus he has played in a 3-4 his whole career and the Texans run a 4-3 base defense.
Old 03-05-2007   #9
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve View Post
because porter is going to want lavar arrington type money (6-7 years, fat signing bonus) and he turns THE BIG 3-0 march 22nd. i guess that signals the end...plus he has played in a 3-4 his whole career and the Texans run a 4-3 base defense.
The scheme issue is obsolete. They tried to TRADE for him, so obviously they want him. I'd still give Porter a shot...IF i could afford it.
Old 03-05-2007   #10
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 138 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

We were looking at Simmons to hopefully man the middle for us this year while we look for a longer term MLB solution, but word is that he left town without a contract being signed despite reports that he would indeed sign with us today.

I think he probably still has a couple of good years left and there's something to be said for veteran leaders with a good attitude such as Simmons coming in and at least helping to instill a good attitude in a team. Just because he's been around a while doesn't necessarily mean you should write him off as not being an option. Obviously, you don't want an entire roster full of thirty-somethings, but exception can and should be made.

Anyways, the guy has a lot of experiece at all three linebacker postions and while we were looking at him to play MLB, he is just as capable, if not more, of playing WLB in a 4-3. In fact, that's where a lot of his experience was before Cincy had to move him over due to Odell Thurman's issues last year.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #11
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The scheme issue is obsolete. They tried to TRADE for him, so obviously they want him. I'd still give Porter a shot...IF i could afford it.
so dont you think the Texans would have at least made an attempt to resign Antwan Peek then? guys who play in a system their whole careers like to continue their careers in the same system.
Old 03-06-2007   #12
thespaniard
Rookie

He signed with the Saints today.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...860.xml&coll=1

Quote:
LB SIMMONS TO JOIN SAINTS
Veteran free agent leaving Bengals after agreeing to three-year contract
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
By Jimmy Smith
The Saints made their first free-agent acquisition of the offseason when veteran linebacker Brian Simmons agreed to a three-year contract with the Saints, his agent Jerrold Colton said late Monday night.

Financial terms were not disclosed. Simmons, who has played the past nine seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, had visited with the Saints on Saturday.

"The visit went really well; he was very impressed and had a particular affinity for Joe Vitt, the linebackers coach, and really liked everybody," Colton said. "At this stage in his career, Brian really wants to be with a team he feels can win the Super Bowl. And he really feels New Orleans is that team."
thespaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #13
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

who did we try to trade for? porter? lavar? simmons?
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read