Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-05-2007   #1
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP
Default Bears: Briggs Wants To Be Traded

Briggs doesn't seem to like the franchise tag and the 1 year deal that it entails.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788148

Found it interesting, but he would carry a hefty trade value to say the least.

Last edited by Exithios; 03-05-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #2
texans83
All Pro

Default Re: Bears: Briggs Wants To Be Traded

Yea, he is seeing what everone else is getting in free agency and he wants to try and test it too. Dont know if he could. Texans deff couldnt afford him this year but he would be a great asset.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

well he says he wants to play in miami.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #4
IshouldbeGM
Rookie

Default Lance Briggs demands trade

I'd give up our 2nd rd pick for him.

#1 laron landry

#2 lance briggs

#3 o-line

#4 o-line
IshouldbeGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #5
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP
Default Re: Lance Briggs demands trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshouldbeGM View Post

#1 laron landry

#2 lance briggs

#3 o-line

#4 o-line
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36139
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #6
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Is he worthy of a second pick? As always, alot of top notch talent will slip in to the second round (Like Bennie J and Gabar Gaffney HA HA HA). Seriously, is there any other way we could get him besides giving up a draft pick?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #7
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:

#1 laron landry

#2 lance briggs

#3 o-line

#4 o-line
Only if you can reach agreement on an extension... and unfortunately, I am not sure the Bears would go for a 2nd rounder only.
Old 03-05-2007   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

#1 laron landry

#2 lance briggs

#3 o-line

#4 o-line
A mid round pick who is now crying about being franchised and paid the average of the top 5 players at his position, $7mil + per year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs
You hate to get into that whole 'lack of respect' thing," Briggs said. "But you play four years for a team, do your best, exceed their expectations, right? And every year, it's like, 'You played great, Lance.' And they kind of dangle the carrot, like they're going to take care of you, and then it doesn't happen.
Doesn't happen? WTF do you call being paid $7.206 million per? One of the TOP FIVE at your position...

Waaa, Waaa, Waaa... I thought I'd want Briggs before, but I think I'll pass on this crybaby now...

*edit* If he's upset about the lack of a long term deal, that puts it in a different light, to a degree... but if that's the case, he should just say so.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #9
TexansCanes
All Pro

Lance is no different than any player that gets franchised. being franchised isn't where the money is at and it is one more year taken off your career. you get one chance to cash in big and now he has one more year to risk injury before his big contract. plus, they say the bears have been low balling him which isn't a surprise considering the bears recent history with negotiations.

it would take a lot more than a second rounder to get lance, try two firsts. it would be a no brainier for every team if he could be had for only a second.
Old 03-05-2007   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
A mid round pick who is now crying about being franchised and paid the average of the top 5 players at his position, $7mil + per year?

Doesn't happen? WTF do you call being paid $7.206 million per? One of the TOP FIVE at your position...

Waaa, Waaa, Waaa... I thought I'd want Briggs before, but I think I'll pass on this crybaby now...

*edit* If he's upset about the lack of a long term deal, that puts it in a different light, to a degree... but if that's the case, he should just say so.
Its about the signing bonus, football is a violent sport where a career can be over in one play. Players don't like to be franchised because they then are left risking never getting the "BIG payday" in signing bonus money. Missing out on 30 mil would make me a little upset too, it is a business. They should change it where on top of the 7 mil a year base salary, teams should also have to throw in a additional 10 mil sign on bonus for that one year too. That would totally do away with all the bad blood between tagged players and FO's

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-05-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Its about the signing bonus, fooball is a violent sport where a career can be over in one play. Players don't like to be franchised because they then are left risking never getting the "BIG payday" in signing bonus money. Missing out on 30 mil would make me a little upset too, it is a business. They should change it where on top of the 7 mil a year base salary, teams should also have to throw in a additional 10 mil sign on bonus for that one year too. That would totally do away with all the bad blood between tagged players and FO's
I get your point, but it just rubs me the wrong way when a player making that much money says he just flat out refuses to play for his team...
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we trade for him & sign him to a 50 year $200 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #13
macaronitoni
Rookie

Default Could we try to get Briggs?

Looks like Briggs is hell bent to get "unfranchised" and get out of Chicago.

On a side note, Anyone willing to take a chance on Drew Stanton? With out OL, he might just be the right fit.
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #14
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Default Re: Could we try to get Briggs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaronitoni View Post
Looks like Briggs is hell bent to get "unfranchised" and get out of Chicago.

On a side note, Anyone willing to take a chance on Drew Stanton? With out OL, he might just be the right fit.
It would be nice. What would we give up to get him, though?
Old 03-05-2007   #15
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

I would be willing to trade a 2nd & 3rd, & a 2nd next year for Briggs. (As long as we draft LaRon Landry for our first pick)
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #16
jdm12
Rookie

With our cap situation and not wanting to give up draft picks, getting Briggs it is highly unlikely.

J
jdm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #17
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Prising Briggs away from Chicago would be expensive, signing Briggs even if they let him go would also be expensive.

I would think that it would be best to steer clear and address our other areas of need, rather than blowing our cap on a LB who may just be a result of the system and being part of a great defense.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #18
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Yeah, there is virtually no way we get Briggs. Maybe on Madden or something...
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Would I want to? Yes. Will we? No. I can't see it happening in a million years.
Old 03-05-2007   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash_Fan3605 View Post
I would be willing to trade a 2nd & 3rd, & a 2nd next year for Briggs. (As long as we draft LaRon Landry for our first pick)
I like Briggs alot and he'd be awesome here in houston next to demeco. but I don't think we need to trade our DAY 1 picks away..esp that many for 1 player. In 3 years if we are 1 good linebacker away from the Superbowl...something may get done...but not in the next 2 years...imo.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read